LA Weight Loss - December 2010

View Full Version : December 2010

Joni135
12-02-2010, 02:37 AM
Wow - I'm starting the December thread...haha. Hello people....let the December madness begin. I finally got some Christmas decorations up.....for whatever reason I decided to do things totally different this year...I think it's a 'getting older' thing.....in the end, though, seems like I have more decorations in boxes than scattered around the house. Oh well, it works for me.

Been doing WW new program for a couple days. So far so good, but it's always easy during the honeymoon phase.

Kimphin
12-02-2010, 09:46 AM
Joni - The decorating. I love it when it is done, and I kind of like the feeling when putting it up, but the THOUGHT of doing it? Ugh. We put our outside lights up last weekend, but DH has engineered them to be painless. Next up: the village under the tree and the mantel. I have so much Christmas stuff - but I feel terrible getting rid of it.

FutureFitLaura
12-02-2010, 10:42 AM
Morning...

I haven't been on the scale...trying to stay off it and just check in once a week. One of the reasons I wanted to redo LAWL was that the exchange aspect of the portions keeps me from having to count calories. The last 3 years of weight loss (and slight regain) had me going a little nuts with counting calories, wearing my Bodybugg, etc. Right now, with an aggravated injury and energy loss, I'm just trying to focus my energy on my nutrition.

I had been a 6x a week, 2 hours a day workout person. Then a year ago my energy plummeted, I struggled with 3-4x a week for 90 minutes. Then I injured my knee, developed plantar fasciatis as well, then I got a second dog, a puppy, and with all that, I don't sleep enough and don't feel well enough to work out. So, I've decided to take a few months on the low end of activity, work my way up in a more moderate and comfortable routine, instead of being hardcore. So my focus needs to be on my food. And it's about time. I need to combat this issue once and for all. I'm tired of spending 40 years consumed by being overweight, always thinking about food, and never feeling like I get it right.

My greatest challenges are boredom and stress eating. Work is a big temptation for me. I try to hide out in my cube and wear earbuds so I don't hear there are donuts in the breakroom, but there's always a platter of something somewhere. I don't know what's wrong with me, but when I hear food, I want it, whether or not I need it. And then if I stress too badly (and my industry is stress-driven), I tend to head to the vending machine. I am 100% aware that I am medicating with food--looking for the energy lift because I'm tired, looking for the mood lift if I'm blue, looking for the seratonin effect if I'm stressed.... The above, along with healing from an injury and reduced exercise efforts, resulted in me going from 268 to 290 in the last 8 months.

I KNOW what I need to do (stick to the diet and appropriate calories, get some good activity in)...doing it is another. I can't quit my job and quit the stress. Most alternatives for the stress aren't doable (like go walk around the building...yeah, can't break for that). And it's just an area where I'm reallllly weak.

I bought some lites, but I tend to be the type that if you give me a taste of sugar, I want a boatload. I could eat four or even 6 lites just like that. However, I'd like to think that so far, I am already cutting calories. I just need to find my way to sticking 100% to plan. Once I do, I believe I will see results.

And I need to! I hate the 280s. I hate that I regained. I hate that I'm not the gymrat I was. I hate how I feel physically right now. AND I just gave away all my fat clothes, so I have to lose some inches to stay in the clothes I do have. Argh.

That's where I am at this early December day....

mj2007
12-02-2010, 12:15 PM
Hey Laura,

I totally understand how you must feel.And...quitting job to relieve stress, well, it often adds more stress.You need to focus on the real reason behind the emotional eating.

Is any job that important that you have to damage your heath, stressing about it? What happens if you just let go...give it a rest?

Why are you bored?Are you in vicious cycle of being overweight, feeling depressed about it, bored with life , over-eating and not reaching your weight loss goals?

Only you can answer these questions. I can give you a few tips from my own WL journey.

1) Read the book "Master your Metabolism" by Jillian Michaels. It gives you the science behind WL and VERY VERY EDUCATING. That book changed my perspective completely.Once you read it you'll think twice before sugar-loading and eating store- bought food.

2)Snack on things that make you work for it...like unsalted shelled peanuts. That will slow you down. Or...snack on protein instead of sugar...like grapes and cheese. They are lot healthier than "LITES" loaded with HFCS.

3)Get cooking/baking. Once you know exactly what/how much you putting in your food, that will slow you down.

4) Avoid storing coins/changes in your purse, that will stop THE VENDING MACHINE runs.

5) Get a WL partner. It motivated me having my husband beside me through my journey. I pack his lunch everyday, no matter what. He has colleagues/buddies who buy lunch everyday and often ask him to share coupons with them. He says NO to them . To my husband, buying lunch is like cheating on his wife because I take time to prepare pack his lunch everyday and i expect him to be faithful to our commitment to a healthy disease free life.

hope this helps you a little.

FutureFitLaura
12-02-2010, 12:33 PM
Thanks, MJ.

The real reasons behind my emotional eating are indeed stress, blues, and energy. I thoroughly believe that there's a science to emotional eating, that it's not just a bad habit or will power. It's looking for energy (sugar) or looking for contentment and easing stress(seratonin).

It's not that the job is important, in fact I otherwise have a relaxed attitude toward it. I just have a physiological response to deadlines and pressure. The impact of that stress sends my body chemistry out of whack, making me look to salve it with food. That's what I mean about the science to emotional eating. I don't think it's only about choices.

Why am I bored? Hmmm, that's a biggee. I'm in a good job that pays well that is easy as **** for me, minus the stress deadlines. It's also a job that is hurry up and wait and I have a lot of freetime. I also live alone with my dogs, so I don't have anyone but them at home. It's not that I have a ton of free time in general (home life is pretty busy), but mentally, I'm still looking for something to keep my brain occupied.

"Are you in vicious cycle of being overweight, feeling depressed about it, bored with life , over-eating and not reaching your weight loss goals?" Um, heck yeah.

1)Read the book "Master your Metabolism" by Jillian Michaels[/B]. Read it, believe in some of it (she's off on some of the science, though). Doesn't make me adjust my behavior though, knowing what I know.

2)Snacks. It's like I have an unsatiable appetite! I can eat 3,000 calories and not blink!

3)Get cooking/baking. 100% do this. When I'm good, I only eat what I cook. I avoid fast food, packaged food, etc. But during the depression after the injury, I overloaded on all of the above.

4) Avoid storing coins/changes in your purse, tried that. They still take dollar bills. I'm about to attempt to leave my wallet in my glove compartment! I am down however, from 3-4 visits a day to 1-2 a couple times a week.

5) Get a WL partner. A friend and I are both restarting and we talk a little bit about it.

Mostly I'm trying to rely on my "I hate that I hit 290 again" as motivation. And I'm trying to rethink every moment. When the urge comes, I remind myself about the clothes, my appearance, my embarrassment over the gain. And if it's bad, I drink tea instead. I'm making some progress, more to come....

Dairy Fairy
12-02-2010, 03:32 PM
Joni, I am interested to hear what the new WW program is about. My husband absolutely hated doing points. If we cannot lose weight on LAWL by ourselves using my past materials, then we are going to pay to go somewhere. It's a pact we have. We just wanted to lose what we could before paying some place because we have a lot to lose and that's a lot of money to shell out without even trying trustly LAWL again...it has worked for us in the past. I didn't like flex either. I started starving myself so I could eat choclate after supper. I like how LAWL makes eating the fruits/veggies a requirement. I feel so much better when I eat them.

I second the not-keeping change or cash on hand! I will find a dollar and dive through a McDonalds or somewhere. I hate cash on hand. I won't go through for something silly like a $1 item on my debit card, but cash...another story.

Laura, I eat emotionally too. I had lost all this weight with LAWL and then I must have been a little too healthy b/c I got pregnant with twins. I am one of those folks who puts on weight very easily when pregnant but this time the weight did not mainly come off with nursing like it did with my first pregnancy. I was so stressed having twins I emotionally ate ALL I could whenever I could. You'd think I wouldn't have time but I set myself up for failure with quick unhealthy snacks. I have worked in an office before and it is so hard, especially when people bring things by because they like you/your coworkers. The maintainance guys used to bring us kolaches and donuts when they came b/c our office (almost all women) were their favorites and it just seemed rude not to partake! :) I have started drinking hot drinks like coffee when I feel the need to eat knowing I don't have to. Sometimes I forget to drink it after I fix it which shows me just how passing my need to eat really was. If I am still thinking about it, it's warm and it fills my tummy.

Day 3 of Unlimited takeoff. It's not really bothering me too much. I think seeing my highest weight ever was a huge wake up call!

Nicole, I am a baseball widow. I don't even get free meat out of the deal! ;)

Dairy Fairy
12-03-2010, 11:57 AM
checking in this AM b/c this forum kept me on track last time. I lost 4 lbs on unlimited TO...not great, but I'm happy to be moving in the right direction at least. I'm not feeling hungry or missing anything yet.

One good thing that has come about is that my oldest son tried (and loved) grilled chicken for the first time last night. My youngest has been requesting (err...demanding) raw carrots every night. I think it's rubbing off already. My oldest is extremely picky and gags a lot, so I am so relieved to have a food that he will eat that I can eat, as well. The middle one...he's like Mikey...he'll eat anything.

BarbaraB
12-03-2010, 05:07 PM
Mary, I'm doing the WW thing online right now. I needed the accountability of tracking all my food intake. I haven't been tracking my weight all that closely, as I just do tend to avoid that scale as it never tells me numbers that I want to hear, but I've dropped about 2 clothes sizes, so I think it is working. I need to get brave and get on the scale again, as I haven't for about a month, but between our anniversary trip and thanksgiving, it didn't seem likely to say anything positive.

The new plan does seem to be more in line with more modern thinking on weight loss. Higher protein foods have a slightly reduced points count. The new points don't have as many calories per point. The targets I do believe are lower calorie amounts, but you get to eat most produce with no points. So if you eat a decent amount of fruits and veggies you will not starve, but I think if you eat badly you will be hungry. Of course once you run out of points you can still eat as many strawberries as you want, so I think it will force even non produce eaters into digging out the apples and carrots. It is nice to not to have to worry about counting your carrots anymore. Doesn't matter, even 200 cups of them are 0 points (I entered it online just to be sure, ha!)

My office used to bring in free lunch at least 2 times a week, so there was almost always free food to be eaten... pizza's and chinese or thai or italian or hawaiian... all sorts of yummy stuff. They have cut way back with the economic downturn, but still the managers pull out the credit card and charge up the food whenever they want you to work extra hours... we don't get overtime, but apparently they think we will work for pizza.

FutureFitLaura
12-03-2010, 05:20 PM
shoot, that 4 lbs I lost popped right back on. 290. Oy.

Dairy Fairy
12-04-2010, 04:22 PM
Barbara...I think I could eat myself sick on fruit. I dunno if I would have the self control. I would have a produce and carb diet...then again, that could work. Finding protein is hard for me. I like Peanut butter, beans, beef, fish, and SOMETIMES chicken...it grosses me out to hold a raw chicken breast and eat it after it's cooked. I can eat other people's chicken just fine..I am probably a weirdo. I grilled up a bunch of chkn breasts for unlimited TO and we just ate the last of them last night for fajitas and I'm ok with that...Maybe I just don't cook chicken right unless I'm grilling.

Laura, obviously you didn't gain 4 lbs of fat...it's probably water. That kind of stuff happens on any diet. Try to remind yourself it's physically impossible to gain 4 lbs in one day (or lose!) so just chalk it up to your body and keep trucking. I kept a log of every day's weight last time and when I felt like I was on the same number for a long time I divided up my average weight loss over time and found I was doing great...for me it just comes off in spurts. Last time I did this I would go with no scale movement for weeks and then 5 lbs would come off and stay off. My periods affected me, too...sometimes things are out of your control but you are going to have to make up your mind to be rational and not get bummed out over water weight gains. This plan will work, I promise you that. It's the only thing I have ever been able to do. If you have eaten at a restaurant or had something salty then pop half a lemon in a mug of water, microwave for 1 min, add a little stevia or artificial sweetener and drink like tea. You'll be peeing like crazy but it will help you not have a huge water weight spike the next day.

Y'all I am down 6 lbs! I know it's that water weight that comes off initially but I am so happy about it still b/c I am moving in the right direction. I am loving the fresh healthy foods again. I prefer healthy foods but I am soooo lazy about preparation.

Question: since I don't love proteins that much I made up some homemade hummus with garbanzo beans (the organic store brand were cheaper and1/4 the sodium of the low sodium bush's), garlic, lemon juice, cilantro, and 1 tbsp light sour cream. I did the calculations on beans as protein and it ended up that 1/4cup of the hummus= 1/2 protein. I know hummus is listed as a starch, but since the beans are a protein and I measured it all up and everything else is negligible or unlimited, that should be ok, RIGHT? I know logically it is but...lemme know what you think. I'd much rather dip my veggies in hummus than eat a piece of chicken for a snack.

mj2007
12-05-2010, 12:56 PM
Barbara- great job losing 2 dress sizes....especially before holiday parties. i know this "pizza' for extra work thing...they did the same at my husband's work ....my husband used to fall for it every time. Once he started making lifestyle changes, he refused falling for that. Still there are times....like they had their CEO visiting or some meeting...free food ( read unhealthy junk)and pop for all.

When I was working on my M.Sc research at the research lab, there was always some sort meeting going on and we, the students world get the excess ordered. So there was always food in the kitchen...or cookies and dessert squares. Now at my current workplace, there is always someone bringing some baked stuff. I think FREE FOOD AT WORK in every form- colleagues buying/baking, manager's treat,food fest, pot luck, meetings, food sale for charity, vending machines are the biggest challenge to someone trying to lose weight.

Mary- 6lbs loss definitely calls for celebration.I remember how wonderful I felt during those early days of WL losing 4-5 lbs a week.

Home made hummus is a protein, as compared to the store bought one.Same as, canned soup is always starch while home-made soup can be V, P or S depending on what you put in. The lemon water thing is a neat trick- thanks for sharing.

My mother had that same phobia towards raw meat/chicken...she couldn't eat what she cleaned and cooked.There if you consider yourself " weirdo" you are definitely not alone. :D
Good sources of lean protein...tofu ( soft) , eggs or egg substitute,organic soy and low-fat cheese like ricotta.
Just a word of caution- Peanut butter is considered as a Fat, not a Protein in the new LAWL plan.

FutureFitLaura
12-06-2010, 11:09 AM
did TOJ (Take Off juice) this weekend. Flubbed it last night when I met up with a friend and she'd already ordered food for us...but I hate well...venison burgers, sweet potato baked chips, eggplant dip with cheese crackers. Still lost.
Friday 290.4
Monday 286.7

And with TOM, perhaps the loss is better than I realize? Let's see what the week will bring.

I'm on a workout sabbatical this month. I want to rest my body before I restart. I went way over the top in my exercise (very influenced by the folks I met who worked out a ton, 2-3 hours a day). I want to recoup, focus on nutrition, and then make a modified, realistic plan to start in the new year.

Kimphin
12-06-2010, 11:13 AM
LOL-about the chicken in it's raw meat stage. A few years ago DH was into a show on Discovery Health - where they showed surgeries. I told him we could watch that show and never eat chicken again, or stop watching it and keep the chicken. It all looked too similar. We kept the chicken.

I usually don't tell anyone that I am dieting, but this time when a bunch of my co-workers noticed I told them that I broke up with carbs. It has worked for me to avoid the lunchroom stuff. I wish I had figured out a way to NOT want to have the stuff, I've been relying on sheer willpower.

juliemarie
12-06-2010, 12:58 PM
Laura-TOM can definitely hide your weight loss. Last week after I gloated about losing a pound over Thanksgiving weekend-the next day I was up 2 lbs. The following day? Up another lb. Same thing for the next day. I was freaking out until I went to the bathroom and realized TOM had come a little early. Then 2 days later I spent the whole day in the bathroom and lost all 4 lbs of water in one day! (sorry-TMI!)

Your metabolism is increased during TOM so hang in there and you'll be rewarded with weight loss (most likely!)

So-I'm down several more pounds. Only about 3 to go to meet my required 5% weight loss for surgery. He wants me to lose 5-10lbs more (which I think I can do) but at least I don't think he'll refuse to do the surgery in January . . . My pre-op appt is on the 20th. I just gotta hang in there.

Dairy Fairy
12-06-2010, 06:17 PM
JulieMarie...I am glad you are still posting here and I hope you keep it up after surgery. Don't wanna lose you to the surgery boards completely!

MJ- thanks for that info about peanut butter. If I hit a stall I am going to have to cut it out. It was my protein staple before so I know it worked in the past and I hope it will work again b/c protein in the morning is kind of YUCK to me.

Ok, I've been doing really well...I forgot to weigh the last couple of days, though. It's cold and I don't like taking clothes off and we're in a mad dash for school once the alarm goes off. I haven't been cheating or anything...I could be chugging more water. ihav ebeen waiting until the last part of the day and paying for that at night with peeing 3 times a night!

This is TOTALLY unrelated to weight loss but since my last time on this board I became a quilter. I have a quilt blog and I've done some work for a fabric company with patterns...sold some patterns independently. Well today I got notice that my first submission to a magazine was accepted!!! They are going to pay me and put my pattern in their magazine! This is a big deal! Now to decide on 2 colorways for a baby quilt for a January magazine (any suggestions more than welcome!). The fabric company wanted my pic or a pic of my work for their press but I sent in a pic my quilt b/c I didn't want to send in a picture of myself b/c I'm overweight. I guess that's a wake up call that I should take as much pride in MY looks as I do my quilt's looks. Anyway, Woohoo.

BarbaraB
12-06-2010, 07:17 PM
Mary, I do eat a lot of fruit. I'd say that if you didn't eat at least 5 servings of fruits and veggies, that this diet would be hard, hard, hard.... really my target number of points equals less than 1000 calories a day, so you either learn how to eat a lot of fruit and veggies or you starve. Kind of clever of those weight watchers people to get you used to living off from produce, since if you want to be thin, that is what you need to be doing. Congrats on the quilt!

JM, Way to go! You are almost under the 300 pound mark, and just psychologically that has to feel better. Stay strong during the holiday season, and you will be looking at a much brighter new year. I'm going to spend the next two weeks really trying to eat on the lighter side. My family is coming to visit the weekend before Christmas, and I just want someone to notice how much weight I've lost.. My mom has lost 27 pounds on WW so we can exclaim over each other even if no one else notices. Mom is always good for being encouraging on the weight loss effort.

Kim, if you ate that stuff you'd feel physically bad, so there is that tempering the sheer willpower. So did someone notice you looking thinner? or just you not eating the junk food that they noticed?

Laura, I've decided to take a break from just about all exercise too for a short time to see if it makes a difference for my foot. Once it heals up then I can hit it again, as I really believe exercise makes a big difference for me. Weight just fluctuates... its frustrating! Its the long term trend that counts not the day to day up a couple down a couple of pounds.

Hi MJ, How are you liking your new job and new city? Are you settling in?

Kimphin
12-07-2010, 10:31 AM
JM - so proud of you! Kick those last 3 to the curb :) I am so excited for you - just think, this time next year (much less of)you and Josie will be rockin around the Christmas tree!

Barb - Some of my friends at work noticed and quietly said something to me, which made me feel good. And the guys that I go out to lunch with noticed that I was getting salads instead of subs, so I pulled the "broke up with carbs" thing on them and left it at that. I guess sheer willpower wasn't totally correct, because you are right - eat badly=feel like cr@p, so willpower and wanting to feel good is what I am getting by with. It's funnny - for some reason on this plan I feel guilty when I think about cheating - like seriously guilty as if I did actually cheat. I have to stop and remind myself that I didn't actually eat anything off plan, I only THOUGHT about it! LOL. A psychologists dream patient, that's what I would be for sure.

FutureFitLaura
12-07-2010, 12:02 PM
I'm still struggling with the same old challenges. Sigh.
Sunday night while on Take Off, ate out. Couldn't avoid. Tried to choose wisely but failed slightly.
Monday, work lunch, tempted by baked ziti, bread, mozzarella sticks.

I feel like I just can't seem to DIET. To stick to something rigidly. But I need to.

mj2007
12-07-2010, 12:51 PM
Mary-A year ago...protein anytime of the day was YUCK to me. I realized that protein for BF helps me stay OP rest of the day. These days I mostly eat P,V ,Dand F. Starches -mainly sweet potato or beans/legumes or oats.I went down from a regular size 18/20 to a petite 4 ( loose fitting).

Barbara- Thanks for asking. I am not liking this new place as much. The traffic is just awful and roads are dangerous with all the snow & construction going on. I resigned already and my husband already has a great job offer from Vancouver and we moving just before new year. Vancouver is very close to the border ( 2 1/2 hrs drive to Seattle), not that cold but lots of rain. I love ocean so very excited :carrot:

Laura- i am doing a TO too! and today is my 2nd day. I just want to feel rejuvenated before new year and therefore doing TO. The only reason I do TO is to break free of bad choices and make a fresh start. But I never do TO over weekends.Don't give up.Start making better choices from tomorrow.You don't have to DIET...just find healthier options you like and stick to them. Also, make smarter choices - 1 cookie is a starch and 1/2 cup cooked oats is also starch but the latter will help you feel full longer.

BarbaraB
12-07-2010, 05:12 PM
Laura, You shouldn't be so hard on yourself! Really! Your "slight failure" was in fact mostly doing pretty good I suspect. Don't hold yourself to an impossible standard, but celebrate that you are doing better, even though it is not perfect. Losing weight is a marathon not a sprint.

MJ, Vancouver is a beautiful city. We were there last summer as our Alaska cruise started from there. Even if it rains a lot in the winter, they have beautiful summers. I've been contemplating a TO myself. It could totally fit in with the weight watchers plan. I don't seem to do well if I attempt it on the weekend either.

Kim, That is really nice that your coworkers noticed. You seem to be in a ninja mind set when it comes to cheating, you are going to beat it mentally before it even appears physically. That's a lot better than beating yourself up after the fact.

Hoochie
12-08-2010, 02:51 PM
Just popped in to say a quick hello. I did 30 minutes on the treadmill last night. It was tough but it felt good to get myself back on track!
Have a great day everyone!

Joan

Hoochie
12-09-2010, 01:52 PM
Did another 30 minutes on the treadmill again last night. My husband said he will cook dinner for me if I want to work out when I get home. What a good man! Maybe I can drop five pounds before Christmas, that would be awesome!

Joan

JLem311
12-09-2010, 02:37 PM
good job, joan! keep it up!

BarbaraB
12-09-2010, 05:11 PM
Joan, Good job. I would also love to lose 5 before Christmas, but I just realized that is two weeks from Saturday! Which means my mom is coming a week from tomorrow to my house for our early Christmas celebration! I must clean!

Hi Skinny, I mean Jillian... That ticker just keeps creeping lower and lower... I know you probably feel the creeping part, but really its so impressive. You've lost a whole person now.

JLem311
12-09-2010, 06:38 PM
ha! thanks, barbara! :) yeah, i've been at a stand-still of 157 for about a month now. but i'm not too bummed about it given the fact that you mentioned..i've lost a WHOLE PERSON! i'm keeping up with my fitday tracker and exercising. i know i could definitely bump up my workouts, but otherwise i think the 150's is where i'll be landing for awhile. i'd like it to be in the lower half of the 150's, but we'll see.

mj2007
12-10-2010, 12:28 PM
Joan- good job! I know it is hard to stay motivated after a hectic day of work.

Barbara- House-cleaning burns lot of calories. So 5 lbs would come off definitely :)

Jillian- Incredible job! Really. I truly admire your determination. When they show 400+ people dropped to model sizes on TV, I find it hard to believe. I know I used to be morbidly depressed when I was 75 lbs heavier. I don't know if I would have had the courage and willpower if I was 150+ pounds heavier...so kudos to you!

These days I hover mostly between 126-123, depending on what I ate the day before.This morning I am 124. I would like to be 120 but not stressing about it.But I have gone back to plan 2 ( almost strict). I am also practicing yoga everyday and even got my husband to join me.He was always skeptical about Yoga...he is more of a weight training kinda guy.

I had this yoga teacher, she always told me, main thing about yoga practice is to let go of your EGO. Don't worry if someone more flexible than you. Don't mock anyone weaker than you.Don't be ashamed. So I had to coax my husband into practicing. Now, my husband is 6'4" and 215 lbs,he can weight-train with 200+lbs but he was incredibly stiff at first and ashamed.He has been practicing with me for the entire week and now he is so much more flexible and thanks me and says he'll practice for rest of his life.

This little story is for anyone who might feel ashamed, skeptical or afraid to start something new like spinning/yoga/pilates/zumba etc. Get out of your shell....and rediscover yourself. You are capable of it...and you are soooo worth it!

Have a great weekend everyone!

Dairy Fairy
12-10-2010, 02:00 PM
Hey everybody...I am still here but just overwhelmed with all the cleaning, prepping, and sewing that I'd like to get done before CHristmas. Today I conquered Mt. Laundry, though...so does that count as exercise? You'd say so if you saw it It was shameful!

I've been doing well on the diet...the worst thing is that maybe I'm not eating everything. A few times at the end of the day I was very satisfied and didn't want to shove starches down to get those colors filled in. I know that you're supposed to eat everything but I just didn't want to shove food down my throat...I need to learn to listen to my body and my body was completely full. I am not sure about my weight b/c it's so hard for me to weigh in the morning. I know I am down a few pounds, though, because wehn I do get on the scale even at night it is lower than my start weight.

Jillian and MJ- those are impressive weight losses!

Laura, I'm sorry you're having issues. Have you started the regular plan yet?

mj2007
12-11-2010, 03:07 PM
Thanks Mary :)

So what is everyone making for Xmas? I haven't planned the menu yet. i just know I am making roast chicken with gravy. would love to hear other ideas.

JLem311
12-13-2010, 10:48 AM
i'm still in shock, but needed to share--i weighed in today at 155.8--holy crap! i can't believe it.

Kimphin
12-13-2010, 11:33 AM
:yay:

Always the inspiration - Congrats Jillian! :hug:

Busy busy - did most of our Christmas shopping this weekend, now need to finish decorating and finish up the christmas ornaments I make for my family every year. Plus a paper due by next tuesday. And, my birthday is Saturday. Too much stuff to cram into one week!

BarbaraB
12-13-2010, 07:27 PM
MJ, The DD requested lasagna, so I'll be making that for Christmas night or maybe Christmas eve. For the big extended family dinner that we are hosting on Saturday, DH wants to do prime rib. I'm thinking about buying a small ham too, since it is a lot lower fat. I might attempt to do scalloped potatoes in a modified lower fat version. Maybe I'll do a trial run on the potatoes to make sure that the low fat version is tasty not nasty.

Jillian, Wow.. that is amazing. We were just talking about how the scale hadn't moved in awhile.

Happy birthday in advance Kim! I have enough trouble just getting the Christmas cards done myself, so the handmade ornaments seems extravagant, but what a sweet idea.

JLem311
12-15-2010, 11:52 AM
well, i'm down another 1.4 again this morning! it seems like the scale doesn't move forever for me and i'm fighting for every ounce i lose, then one day it starts to move again. i've been that way with my losses for quite some time now, and i have no problems with going slowly. it's the best way. so i'm at 154.4, which is the LOWEST i've been in over 10yrs. i'm not sure if the "shock value" will ever wear off. i keep amazing myself and sometimes can't believe it's me when i look in the mirror. i know DH will definitely be shocked when he gets back. speaking of which, i entered him in a contest to win a real live Christmas tree from a group called Operation Christmas Tree and he won! They notified me last month and he just got the tree last week. i'll post the picture in my profile for anyone that wants to see it.

hope everyone is doing well, taking care and putting themselves at the top of the priority list, even though this time of year is super busy.

ps..i think i'm going to keep setting my ticker goal in 5lb increments. seems to be working so far and i don't know where my stopping point for my body will be yet.

BarbaraB
12-15-2010, 07:31 PM
Wow Jillian, Another drop! Gives me hope. I got on the scale again, and was a bit disappointed... I've finally got rid of the weight I gained over vacation/thanksgiving. Yea that is gone, but discouraging that I'm still about where I was 6 weeks ago... It has made me want to be very careful over the coming holidays. I just don't want to gain those two pounds back and have to spend January losing them again.

Ideal weight is a tricky thing and not a fixed point for any one person. I think that I've felt best when I was about 22% body fat. Which I've achieved at both 150 and 170 pounds. I had a hard time accepting the 170 pound one, but my body just didn't want to go lower and I fought it for a long time (continuing to work out and add more muscle making it even more unrealistic to get to the 149 pound goal I had in mind when I started). Anyway, frustration turns easily into weigh regain, and that is not a good thing to do to yourself. So your method of just seeing where your body settles is a great one instead of fixating on some number, whether or not it makes sense for you now.

JLem311
12-16-2010, 03:30 PM
:bday2:Happy Birthday, Joan! Hope you're having a great day!:bday2:

Joni135
12-16-2010, 11:50 PM
Jillian - WTG!! Cute tree you won for you DH. I have to laugh though that he took the picture in front of what appears to be a pretty nice looking tree (bigger than the one he won!). You are a good Army Wife and a great inspiration to many on this site. Merry Christmas!

Hoochie
12-20-2010, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the birthday wish Jillian. My husband had 10 of my friends join us for dinner on Friday, it was awesome.
Right now, I am so excited to go see my family for the Christmas holidays. I don't know how I am going to get thru the next two days at work!!!!
I offically finished my shopping yesterday, yippee!
Congrats to all of you that had a great year with your weight loss, it is truly inspiring.
I wish all of you a Happy Holiday!

Joan

juliemarie
12-20-2010, 09:26 PM
Jillian-I love the pic of him with the tree! He looks super enthusiastic! ;)

Well ladies-had my final surgeon and pre-op appts today and i have officially met my original pre-surgery goal! As long as I don't gain anything the surgery is a go. But he would like me to lose more if possible. I was thinking another 5 lbs or so-and he's all 10-15lbs! In less than a month. Over xmas and new years! I'll try . . . .

Joni135
12-20-2010, 10:27 PM
WTG Julie!! I'm sure you can do it!!!

mj2007
12-21-2010, 01:40 PM
Hey all

Wishing you and your family and friends a Merry Xmas and a happy holiday season.

Things have gotten super hectic for me...I have officially started packing for the move, i move in exactly 7 days! Besides that...Xmas, then our 6th anniversary on the new year's eve, new year and my birthday coming up on the 8th of Jan...and I have 3rd and final interview for a job the same week!

Enjoy, make healthier choices but don't beat yourself up over a brownie or two...after all this is only once a year thing!And most important...stay safe on the roads.

BarbaraB
12-21-2010, 10:18 PM
MJ, I feel stressed just reading that! Merry Christmas and happy new year and happy anniversary and happy birthday anyway! You'll manage brilliantly I'm sure.

JM (hey you are the reverse of MJ) you did great to make the presurgery goal! Your surgeon does have pretty high expectations. I know you can behave yourself for the holidays. It occurs to me that if I eat less on the holidays, I will likely be around for more holidays to celebrate, so it is not that I'm depriving myself, oh no, I'm just planning on spreading the enjoyment out over decades. Who knows what gastric delights I'd be missing in 2040?

Jillian, neat that he got his own personal tree. I hope you at least get to Skype him for Christmas. Are your kids excited for Christmas?

mj2007
12-22-2010, 03:59 PM
Thanks Barbara...happy holidays!

SVPRO
12-22-2010, 08:37 PM
hello! i am trying to start la weight loss and pulled out all my old info...i have an old colored plan book. but i would like to use the numbered plans i have seen discussed on this forum. I would like to use plan 1, and I am also interested in info about the express plan. Can anyone help? Thanks!

JLem311
12-28-2010, 10:22 AM
hey peeps..december isn't over yet! where's the chatter?

i'm happy to report i'm down another pound!
how did everyone's holiday go?

BarbaraB
12-28-2010, 03:07 PM
Oh Jillian, you are amazing, losing over the holiday times! I ate a fair amount of junk on Christmas eve and Christmas, but then got up the day after and tossed all the rest of the food that I shouldn't eat out into the garbage and took myself to an extra long spin class. So now just a few days later I feel totally back on track and not at all deprived of celebrating the holidays.

I'm currently saving up the bonus points for this week to go to a New Year's Eve party on Friday night. I promised the DH that I would be designated driver, so that makes it easier to stay on track for me. Diet soda, or maybe just club soda, and no bad judgement around the food table loaded with goodies.

The worst part about new year's is that the gym gets absolutely jammed full of people (kind of empty the morning after Chrstmas though).

aguerin
12-28-2010, 05:07 PM
Hello all. Been MIA for a while. I'm still here, but doing badly over the Holidays. No surprise. This was not a surprise. I did'nt intend to not enjoy the festivities of which I certainly did.

Congrats to all the steady losers. I am trying to get refocused. Not making the usualy new years resolution of losing weight. Mine will be to make an effort to exercise - some. :o)

JLem311
12-28-2010, 09:05 PM
i posted a new picture in my profile..check it out. :)

Hoochie
12-29-2010, 05:42 PM
You look fabulous Jillian, way to go! Its all worth it when you see photo's of yourself and start feeling better eh?
I am still having my ups and downs. I havent weighed myself during the holidays at all. I have been eating fruit for breakfast all week and trying to cut back on my salt intake. Baby steps again! I think 2011 will be a good year for me.
Nice to see you again Amy, its been a while.
Hope everyone has a Happy New Year!

Joan