Weight Loss News and Current Events - A&E show: HEAVY

View Full Version : A&E show: HEAVY

foodmasochist
12-01-2010, 07:44 PM
Ok, so i confess, i watch hoarders, but now they have been advertising a new show called "heavy". All i know is what i have gathered from commercials. It seems really interesting-the one i saw had a man about 400 pounds talking about how complicated weight loss is-that it is not just physical, but very much mental (of course they showed him eating while he was talking about it)... so i am very curious-it doesn't seem "biggest losery" and i am interested in their take on it. Has anyone else seen anything about it? Do you think you may watch it (i know this is very limited information)?

i did find this thru google:
DEVELOPMENT HISTORY:
4/1/10 - 5/5/10
currently in development (2010-2011 season)
DEVELOPMENT STAGE:
ordered to series
ADDITIONAL NOTES:
10 one-hour episodes
DESCRIPTION:
(from A&E's press release, May 2010) "I'm Heavy" is an intimate look at the remarkable journeys of individuals whose daily struggle with their weight has overtaken their lives. Viewers will get unprecedented access into the lives of participants - who come from all walks of life but share the inability to manage their escalating weight - as they go through a six month program. The process will begin with an intensive in-patient treatment and therapy program where participants will learn the knowledge and techniques necessary to inspire dramatic results and we'll continue to follow them as they transition back to their daily lives. Two individual transformations will be told in each episode, from the points of view of both individuals, and their friends and family affected. Will these overweight individuals be able to overcome behavioral problems and food addictions to achieve true life change?

Sunshine73
12-01-2010, 08:09 PM
So THAT'S what the commercial was! I was watching Hoarders too the other night and I caught about 10 seconds of this commercial - just enough to be interested but not enough to really get an idea of what the show was about. Might be interesting.

milmin2043
12-01-2010, 10:56 PM
Thank you for posting this. I love A&E and I also get engrossed watching Hoarders. Any shows to do with the human psyche and all of the different oddities that we share just fascinates me. I actually must have missed this commercial, but now I will be on the lookout. If you find any other info, would you mind posting it for us?
Thanks!

foodmasochist
12-01-2010, 11:06 PM
i enjoy the human psyche type shows as well, very much. i tried to go to A&e's website and find the date/time of the first episode, but i couldn't. If i do find when the first episode is coming on, i will post, please do the same for me. i'd really like to watch it. Thanks!

-fm

AnnieDrews
12-02-2010, 11:48 AM
I find these types of shows very depressing (Intervention, Hoarders, etc.) and choose not to watch them. I realize these people have signed up and are willing to air their issues, but it is too much for me.

Eliana
12-02-2010, 12:35 PM
I love Hoarders! Yes, it's depressing but I find it fascinating. I am very anti-clutter but always feel like I am one twig snap away from becoming a hoarder. I don't know why. There's very little I keep.

Yes, I'll watch this show. I love reality shows that are actually based on reality. LOL! These feel more like documentaries to me.

QuailingQuazar
12-05-2010, 04:09 PM
Those of you who like documentary style reality tv, will truley appreciate this show.
If youre more into the Biggest Loser type schpeel, where everything looks like rainbows and lollipops, then it isnt for you. lol
Heavy will showcase 10 people working hard, suffering, hurting and baring it all on camera for the world to see how it REALLY works in life when youre battling your own body and mind.

shindabug
12-05-2010, 04:32 PM
Those of you who like documentary style reality tv, will truley appreciate this show.
If youre more into the Biggest Loser type schpeel, where everything looks like rainbows and lollipops, then it isnt for you. lol
Heavy will showcase 10 people working hard, suffering, hurting and baring it all on camera for the world to see how it REALLY works in life when youre battling your own body and mind.

wow that sounds sooo interesting, i will most likely watch it when i have the time. i love the biggest loser, i love seeing the changes their bodies go through and how different they look after the weight loss!

saef
12-05-2010, 04:39 PM
QuailingQuazer, just curious, have you seen episodes in advance, or were you involved in some way with the making of this show?

I trust that A&E will take a more serious look at this issue than an NBC prime-time show, if only because that's part of A&E's image & its brand.

QuailingQuazar
12-05-2010, 04:45 PM
QuailingQuazer, just curious, have you seen episodes in advance, or were you involved in some way with the making of this show?

I trust that A&E will take a more serious look at this issue than an NBC prime-time show, if only because that's part of A&E's image & its brand.

Yes maam, I am in fact, a participant in the show. Im hoping people will get a better idea of what it is really like for those of us who have struggled with our weight for years. I wanted to make sure my episode was as real, and true as possible...so basically that means youll see alot of tears and puke from me...lol
OH, and loads of cursing. Thank heavens for the *bleep*:p

Nola Celeste
12-05-2010, 04:50 PM
Any news about when it's on? I'm definitely a lot more interested in this than in something like The Biggest Loser (I have an extremely low opinion of TBL and consider it pretty much a circus freak-show for the modern era, so I admit my outlook is biased).

Something that actually looked at people on real weight-loss plans would be fascinating to me.

Shytowngal
12-05-2010, 04:55 PM
I'm looking forward to this too! It will be so great to have a show that shows a realistic way to lose weight. Being locked up on a ranch and spending 6 hours a day exercising your *** off is not reality for the general population.

Quail - does the show address nutrition plans as well as exercise? How long have you been taping?

QuailingQuazar
12-05-2010, 05:05 PM
The show will air in January, and I think my episode will actually be the first. We began filming in JUne and just wrapped up last month.
So far my weight loss is at 80lbs down, thru just diet and exercise.
I have worked so incredibly hard, but it isnt over...it never will be.

I too have a very haded impression of TBL....particularly since being invovled with a reality show of sorts, I now know what really happens behind the scenes. lol

foodmasochist
12-06-2010, 05:46 PM
that is very cool you participated. i am very excited to watch this series. i think it's about time people have a good resource. There is a show about everything else-why not address something that so many people have an issue with-weight.
Best of luck to you!
-fm

Amy8888
12-07-2010, 11:44 AM
I was already looking forward to it but I think it's even cooler now that you've posted about being on it Qualing! I love Hoarders but can't get into Intervention. But I love any show about weight loss so one done in the vein of Hoarders is right up my alley. Be sure to come back and post when it airs, it would be cool to discuss it with you after we've seen the episode.

belezura
12-07-2010, 12:39 PM
I watch every tv show about eating behaviors... Lately my favorite one is “What is eating you?”
Now I only have to find out the schedule for “Heavy”. Thank you for posting...

Eliana
12-07-2010, 12:50 PM
Oh wow Quailing! That's really cool! I'm really glad you felt comfortable sharing that with us. I hope you flit around the forums a bit and find a nitch here. Welcome! ;) My personal favorite hangout is the 100 pound club. You should check it out.

I'm guessing there will be little comparison between this and BL. I like BL but it's set up for drama and it takes place in an artificial environment. You can't NOT lose weight on TBL. With a show like Heavy, it seems to me there will be the ever present possibility that the person documented will not be successful.

My only hope is that this show breaks down stereo types rather than make them stronger. One thing I HATE to see in shows I've seen in the past is the camera in the person's face while they eat, focusing on the breathing, if I described that right. The microphone picks up way more obnoxious sounds than you would ever hear sitting right next to the person at the dinner table. That's a big pet peeve of mine. It's makes the eating disgusting instead of a natural and necessary part of life.

dewdrop1970
12-07-2010, 02:43 PM
Thank you for this information on the new show. And thanks to Quailing for posting about his/her involvement.

I really try to watch Intervention as often as I can, but Hoarders is just a little too painful for me to watch.

That being said, I did find the Intervention that was focused on an eating addiction to be especially painful. There was a young man who was the subject and his mother was asking him to make cupcakes with her. I had to turn the channel.

Hoping that "Heavy" will be something I can learn from.

tytbody
12-08-2010, 06:41 PM
please post when this is on, I'd love to see you. I don't watch TBL but I did order their cook book because the recipes in there weren't all the way down my arm. I can't stand a recipe with 20 items in it. I don't want to live in the kitchen. Please email me when it's on in case I don't catch the previews. how about you show us you now so I can know who to look for?

Harsdottir
12-09-2010, 01:21 PM
I want to watch this if there is going to be real stories. I love knowing about how people deal with the struggles. I go to a support group that has helped me with the everyday reality struggles.

I only hope that there is no "edutainment" factors like what is on the biggest loser: trainers telling clients that they need to lose more that 2 pounds a week, unrealistic lifestyle changes (living on a ranch, or eating only lettuce or taking a daylong bootcamp exercise session).

tytbody
12-09-2010, 02:09 PM
You're gorgeous harsdotir. Do you play that Harp? I love Harp music. Had one at my wedding .

ToriJ
12-09-2010, 03:39 PM
The show will air in January, and I think my episode will actually be the first. We began filming in JUne and just wrapped up last month.
So far my weight loss is at 80lbs down, thru just diet and exercise.
I have worked so incredibly hard, but it isnt over...it never will be.

I too have a very haded impression of TBL....particularly since being invovled with a reality show of sorts, I now know what really happens behind the scenes. lol

Awesome! Congratulations, I wish you nothing but continued success! :)

I too saw the promotion for the new show and I will defintiely be recording it!

onamission27
12-09-2010, 05:57 PM
A friend of mine that I grew up with is going to be on one of the episodes of the show. I can't wait to see it. We are all so proud of him! :carrot:

tytbody
12-09-2010, 06:13 PM
when it happens be sure to point him out to us also so we can ogle over him too onamission27.

emmpemm
12-13-2010, 12:12 PM
my mom is actually one of the subjects on the show. it will begin to air on Jnauary 12, 2011 at 4:00PM I believe. the show is as real as it can be, and her transformation is amazing. i hope you all watch, you can find them on facebook.com... My moms name is Flor Cox. i hope you all watch!!!!:carrot:

tytbody
12-13-2010, 01:35 PM
Wow. Now we have three people to look for.

I sure won't remember wh they are by that time :(

tytbody
12-13-2010, 01:37 PM

What is you name in the show??

emmpemm
12-14-2010, 12:14 PM
if you have a facebook, look for their fan page! they will offer to email you so you can be tuned in to watch. i think they'll even email a reminder so you can watch the show. i hope everyone will watch!:^:

tytbody
12-14-2010, 02:13 PM
I just joined FB last night . I will see how to do this fan thing. Is it like a friend request?

Look for the Heavy page or A&E?

emmpemm
12-14-2010, 07:01 PM
look for im heavy in the search bar. and a correction to when it will be airing!! January 17, 2011 @9:00 EST

tytbody
12-14-2010, 10:31 PM
I come to something about TV.Com. That doesn't look right to me :????

lottie63
12-15-2010, 07:50 PM
I hate the biggest loser, I agree, circus freak fare.

I find hoarding itself to be odd and interesting, but the show is confusion and depressing to me. Bf told me about this one boy who was little and his mom was a hoarder and they wanted to throw away a cotton ball and he was like "NO! It's my favorite cotton ball!"

*enter confusion*

I did see the one with the kid who had dog hair everywhere and was severely depressed. after about 10 mins I had to turn it off.

I tried to start a sentence off here with "it hurts me..." but I couldn't finish it. I don't know why, but to watch, I just feel pain. I'm very empathetic I guess.

This show sounds interesting, but not sure it's something I would be able to watch if it's very sad. I do have hope for the people involved, but I just feel too much of everything to watch things like that. Same with intervention which I find the most interesting, but I dunno, it's just painful to see. I wish we all had it easier I guess.

tytbody
12-15-2010, 08:05 PM
I don't think they are freaks. Just have an eating disorder. That's why they have that clinic/hospital just for obese people to help them and exercise.

Trazey34
12-15-2010, 08:16 PM
I love Hoarders too, I find it fascinating and I like that there is rarely a "cookie cutter" happy ending - there's no 'easy' fixes! I'm hoping Heavy will be like that, just a real look at what the truly obese go thru, and hopefully some tips and practical advice on how to get on with it. I'm really hoping the psychological component is compelling and not an absolute JOKE like Jillian on Biggest Loser

Nola Celeste
12-15-2010, 08:30 PM
It isn't that the people on TBL are freaks, it's that they're showcased as if they were by the producers of that show. I absolutely can't abide it; to me (and your mileage may vary), it panders to the lowest common denominator of their potential audience--the desire to see other people's humiliation and suffering.

I dislike a lot of other "reality" TV for the same reason. The "real" housewives shows are a trip through the reptile house at the zoo, "Celebrity Rehab" is nothing but a bunch of poo-flinging monkeys shrieking for an extra fifteen minutes of fame, and "The Biggest Loser" is just the man-faced "bearded lady" leading gawkers through the freak tent to see the fat ladies and chicken-biting geeks.

A&E's more serious reality shows--"Intervention," "Hoarders," and so forth--don't seem to truckle to the base, slack-jawed, snickering yahoos the way most of the network shows do. I really do get the sense that the producers want to effect real changes in people's lives and to shed light on the destructive things that many people do, but keep hidden. They're not just saying, "Hurr hurr, lookit that fat broad RUN when the skinny one yells!" :angry:

Some episodes I can't watch because I find them frustrating and, as lottie63 said, painful to see. But those shows aren't treating the people in them as creatures put on our screens to entertain the masses the way that I feel other, more popular, but far less scrupulous reality television shows do.

Again, other's views may differ and they may get a lot more out of the more typical "reality" shows (I put reality in quotes there because a show publicly shaming a woman who only lost nine pounds in a week is NOWHERE near reality) than I do. If they draw inspiration from it, then it serves a greater good.

But I think I'm going to far prefer "Heavy" when it's on.

DixC Chix
12-15-2010, 10:16 PM
Nola ~

OMG!! I couldn't agree more.

I love your what you wrote and HOW you wrote it. You have a way with words.

Nola Celeste
12-15-2010, 10:27 PM
Thanks, DixC! :hug: I write better when I'm good and hopping mad about stuff, and TBL certainly does that to me. :D

Another thing I'm going to find interesting about "Heavy" is that there are a few connections to these forums. Love that we're going to see a couple of different angles to the show and possibly talk with some of its participants.

QuailingQuazar
12-19-2010, 08:52 PM
What is you name in the show??

My name is Jodi, sorry it took me so long to respond! I was on the show with Flor Cox, and she is also an amazing woman! My episode will premeir the show on the 17th. Hope you guys are all inspired and touched by what we all went thru, and continue to do so!

tytbody
12-19-2010, 08:53 PM
thank you. WRiting it on my notes now.

QuailingQuazar
12-21-2010, 09:51 PM
Hey everyone, there is a quick peak at the show I am appearing in on the A&E website. Just go to the site and type in Heavy in the search bar, then watch the preview.. I am the first one you hear and see...eating haagen Dasz, of course. That damn ice cream...lol

tytbody
12-21-2010, 10:09 PM
wow. Do you have to live with each other? how was it? do you all train together? Did they teach you how to eat better, better choices. Tell me about it.
What can you teach the rest of us trying to not be heavy.

shcirerf
12-21-2010, 10:57 PM
I've been really looking forward to the new show, and now, I'm even more excited!

losermom
12-22-2010, 07:28 AM
Jodi, I'm really looking forward to seeing you, and your transformation, on the show. I love that some of the participants, and their family and friends, have found us here! While I cannot watch Hoarders (too painful for me--maybe it strikes a nerve too closely), I do like watching Intervention when I can. I'm hoping that Heavy is a more realistic view of weight loss than BL. Welcome Jodi and others! We're glad you're here!

tytbody
12-22-2010, 10:34 AM
Is the whole series filmed yet?

Will you be in each episode?

QuailingQuazar
12-22-2010, 11:04 AM
Thanks for all the supportive comments, I really appreciate it!

The series is done filming, and will air in January.
We did live with one another for one month in beginning at a resort we were sent to, as you will see in the show.
This time together really gave us the opportunity to bond with one another in a special way. I cant tell you enough how important each of the participants of this show have been to me and my success.

The only advice I have to people who are doing this for themselves as well is, dont be afraid to ask for help. Dont assume that you can do this alone, because you cant. Period. You NEED a good support system, a group, a team of people to cheer you on. It may seem like you can do it on your own in the beginning, but it gets harder before it gets easier.
My struggle isnt over...this is a forever thing for me and for others as well. I would love to be able to say that being a part of this show "fixed" everything in my life, but I wouldnt be honest if I said that. I am a different woman today than I was when I started, but I still have a long way to go. I do feel I have the toold neccessary to do it now. I am really hoping to get the type pf continual support I need from this website, and hope to meet new friends to join me in my quest for the smaller me!

dewdrop1970
12-22-2010, 01:31 PM
I looked at the preview & the picture gallery. I am looking forward to the premiere of the show on the 17th.

Jodi, how did you find out about the show?

cherrypie
12-22-2010, 01:52 PM
that looks amazing. I can't wait to see it.

QuailingQuazar
12-22-2010, 04:38 PM
I looked at the preview & the picture gallery. I am looking forward to the premiere of the show on the 17th.

Jodi, how did you find out about the show?

I answered an ad they placed on Craigs List, of all places! lol
It was in the TV Media section. My friend and I were actually looking for where they holding TBL auditions, and came accross an ad for this show instead.

tytbody
12-22-2010, 04:42 PM
Great find. I'm glad it worked for you.

can you tell us more about how it was done, like how many episodes?
is each person in the same episode.

or is it done just in one week and then there are all new people?

Serval87
12-23-2010, 02:06 AM
VERY interested in this show. I will watch anything that has to do with dieting/weight/ect. Yes, and I watch hoarders too (and animal hoarders, but that's a completely different channel).

joyfulloser
12-24-2010, 11:06 AM
Just saw the trailer...Can't wait to watch it! Looks like REAL people...nothing like BL!:) I really am in awe of people who despite the long road ahead, persevere and loose such enormous amounts of weights. I started with 60 lbs to lose and it seems like forever for me...I'm totally motivated when I see those folks who have it even harder than I do moving forward and pushing through... I have NO excuse! Thanks for sharing this with us!:)

QuailingQuazar
12-24-2010, 04:27 PM
Great find. I'm glad it worked for you.

can you tell us more about how it was done, like how many episodes?
is each person in the same episode.

or is it done just in one week and then there are all new people?

In my episode, it will be myself, and Tom, my partner on the show. There were 10 of us in total, so you will see 2 people per episode. Kind of crazy relaly, considering we filmed for nearly 7 months! lol
There are also 10 others in SCarolina I believe, who did a similar program that will be featured in episodes as well. The difference with them is they were in a facility for 6 months. We were only gone for 1 month, then did the rest at home.

I hope people get, from my episode at least, thatbeing on this show was not a fix all for me. Im still fighting myself ever day. Its a struggle, even for those of us who were blessed enough to get this kick start.

tytbody
12-24-2010, 05:35 PM
do they give you exercises to do at home or do you have to find your own?

Do they give you a time limit on how much to do each day or that's up to you also?

Did you learn something about eating, your eating habits?

Were they in your face yelling at you in the Gym?

I'm just curious? Nice to have someone on a show who can really say what it's also like to have a camera in your face a lot.

emmpemm
01-06-2011, 11:59 AM
My name is Jodi, sorry it took me so long to respond! I was on the show with Flor Cox, and she is also an amazing woman! My episode will premeir the show on the 17th. Hope you guys are all inspired and touched by what we all went thru, and continue to do so!

omg!!!!!!!!!!!! Jodi!!!!:hug:i met you last 4th of july!! how is your journey to a healthier you?! :)ive been trying to get the word out about the show to as many people as i know, actually next hour i'll be making a little speech in my econimics class!!! i miss everyone, i hope we can meet up all together again! do you have a facebook? ricky added me, can i add you? hope to hear from you. My mom is a beast! shes so confident, but sad that me and my sibling havent been enthused as much as were about losing weight, BUT i am back on the wagon!!! more water less tea!!! you guys are just so encouraging, and i know america will see that too! i cant wait to see the episode, my friends want to make a "Heavy Valentine" party when my moms episode comes on. im ALL for it!!! well hope to hear fro you soon!!! :carrot::carrot:

QuailingQuazar
01-14-2011, 06:36 PM
I hope everyone has their DVRs set to record Heavy on A&E this Monday night!!!!!
My episode will be the premier of the series!!!!
Lots of weird thoughts and feelings about it all!
I guess Im mostly hoping that everyone who sees it is able to see that Im being 100% honest, and totally myself. Im hoping that motivates at least one person out there to make the change for themselves.

tytbody
01-14-2011, 07:11 PM
yes, mine is ready. I thought it was the 12 but found it to be monday. Ready. Hope you're ready for questions as I'm sure I'll have some. Thanks for the reminder.

milmin2043
01-15-2011, 03:48 AM
2 of the people who are featured on the show were on Good Morning America on Friday morning.

I really liked what they said about the show. It was very inspirational. I look forward to the show.

Aunty Jam
01-18-2011, 11:55 AM
Hey Jodi... I watched the show last night, mostly because I've followed this thread, I am really not into reality TV. I had to admit it had me interested. I felt a real personal connection to you because of the forum (even if I hadn't posted on this thread before). The show and what I've gone through with my own weight made me really empathize with you. When you were crying in the washroom I just wanted to run up and give you a big hug :( I hope things have continued to improve with your family and that you're still doing well weight wise. You have a very nice voice... have you been on stage again? What happened with Tom and the girl you set him up with? Are you still in touch with him?

Take care... you rock!

Nola Celeste
01-18-2011, 12:35 PM
Jodi--you look amazing!

I have about a thousand questions for you, but if you're willing to answer just a couple, I'd be thrilled. :)

- Was the facility as nice as it looked? When Tom said he'd have to go back there if he showed a gain, I told my husband, "I think I'd gain a few pounds just to go back there--it's gorgeous!"

- How much emphasis was there on food intake and portion control throughout the six months? I noticed a major emphasis on exercise in the show, but I know that's only part of the equation.

- How do you feel about the editing of the show as someone who lived through the whole months-long experience? Do you feel they did a good job of condensing everything down?

- How's Tom doing, if you're still in touch with him?

I hope things are going well for you on the home front. You really look lovely and you were clearly having a blast being back on stage. Thanks again for giving us some extra insight into an already fascinating show! :hug:

losermom
01-18-2011, 02:26 PM
Jodi, I really enjoyed watching you last night. I think that we could very easily be bff's in real life. I love your sense of humor. And I find that when pushed by others I react much like you did. I am also dealing with my mom. She just sold her farm and is considering moving to my town. I have really mixed feelings about it as our relationship is rather one sided--meaning she thinks we're alot closer than I think we are. My DH and DS are not thrilled with the prospect but her financial situation make her choices very limited.

kookie103109
01-18-2011, 02:40 PM
my husband and i watched this show last night (heavy, one episode). both of us have put on a lot of weight since we started dating, and as our relationship grew, so did we. anyway, it was a really interesting show, seeing those people struggle because of their weight gain. i like the part (like in all other shows) the revelation at the end, where they show that they have lost weight. it is a really big motivator for me.

joyyoj
01-18-2011, 03:39 PM
What an excellent program. I stayed up past my bedtime because I was so captivated by Jodi & Tom. This show is going to help A LOT of people! I'm still thinking about it today and was glad to see this thread.

I hope Jodi (who has posted here -- "hello!!") achieves her goals! She & Tom are beautiful people and deserve all the happiness in the world! It was great to see Jodi get on stage and perform -- also to see that she seems to have some really cool brothers who support her.

How sweet that Jodi set up a double-date with Tom and her friend -- that made viewers like me happy. :).

One of the worst feelings in the world is lonlieness and when a person is in "a prison" (a dangerously overweight body!) as Tom described it -- it's even worse.

:bravo:

GradPhase
01-18-2011, 04:14 PM
Love love love love love it!

What an incredible inspiration, and what incredible people!

Eliana
01-18-2011, 08:32 PM
Just watched! Terrific first episode! I wonder if they'll do a follow up show to wrap up the season; a sort of where-are-they-now? That's a lot of pressure though.

Jodi, you're so brave! Your personality was awesome and I'm not at all surprised you were chosen to participate based on that. The camera really likes you. ;)

seagirl
01-18-2011, 08:40 PM
It was a nice break from the yelling of Biggest Loser. And I liked seeing 2 journeys in one night. I hope they do check in with them as the season progresses. What a relief it must have been for Tom to have that growth removed!

joyfulloser
01-18-2011, 10:17 PM
Uggghhh...I've been waiting forever to watch this episode and guess what? I fell asleep!:mad: I guess I'm getting old....

Hope the network replays this episode, I wanted to see Jodi's Journey...:(

Shytowngal
01-18-2011, 10:25 PM
I really enjoyed the show. It was great to see them deal with weight loss and real life at the same time. Jodi, you were great! Congrats on your success, especially with all the extra stress going on in your personal life.

Serval87
01-19-2011, 05:29 AM
Wonderful show!

And congrats, Jodi! I know you put a lot of effort into making yourself healthier, so let me just say that you are so inspirational!

seagirl
01-19-2011, 06:30 AM
Uggghhh...I've been waiting forever to watch this episode and guess what? I fell asleep!:mad: I guess I'm getting old....

Hope the network replays this episode, I wanted to see Jodi's Journey...:(

They have the full episode on the A&E website. No ads and no need to wait for reruns.

shannonmb
01-19-2011, 11:14 AM
I absolutely loved the show!! I loved how, especially with Jodi (HI JODY!), we see that as the pounds are lost, a lot of "dead weight" in other areas of our lives starts to become apparent and can be dealt with.

Jodi, you are a pixie! Full of fire, beautiful on the inside and out, and you are just rocking with your bad self!!!! Thanks for the inspiration! :hug:

Eliana
01-19-2011, 11:43 AM
I absolutely loved the show!! I loved how, especially with Jodi (HI JODY!), we see that as the pounds are lost, a lot of "dead weight" in other areas of our lives starts to become apparent and can be dealt with.

Jodi, you are a pixie! Full of fire, beautiful on the inside and out, and you are just rocking with your bad self!!!! Thanks for the inspiration! :hug:

Pwah! Tell me about it! My new divorce has nothing to do with my weight loss, but the confidence I have to be able to go through with it has everything to do with my weight loss!

Ky30
01-19-2011, 01:02 PM
Great show I watched it on website yesterday. The journeys really touched me. Keep up the good work Jodi.

stacygee
01-19-2011, 04:57 PM
Loved it! I hope Jodi pops in here again! I knew she was in Houston by the skyline and I wished I could be her friend!

tytbody
01-19-2011, 05:14 PM
She needs to come on here again s our celebrity so we can ask what ots lie to exercise al day or did she have to do it for a certain amount of time.. Didnthey pick exercises she coldndonsonshe could be successful? How come no yoga or pilates. Just questions ??

Is she on calorie restriction or what.. We want to know. Lol

seagirl
01-19-2011, 05:37 PM
I thought it was great. Can't wait to see the next one.

oodlesofnoodles
01-19-2011, 11:41 PM
I watched it too and I loved it.

And stacygee, I was thinking the same thing!!

sept15lija
01-20-2011, 09:33 PM
Wow that was great...I just watched it online! The before and afters were so dramatic...what a difference, how wonderful. Jodi, great job, you are looking awesome!

QuailingQuazar
01-29-2011, 11:20 AM
HELLO EVERYBODY!!!!!

A thousand apologies for the delayed response to all of your beautiful, inspiring comments!
Ive been a bit overwhelmed since the airing of the show, to say the least. Ive been quite busy, and recently took a hiatus from my life in general. lol
No cell phone or computer for a week. I needed some down time.
I would like to let you all know how much your encouraging words mean to me. I have to reiterate how that motivation fuels me in my every day struggles. I spent most of my life wishing I had a group of friends who truly understood what I was feeling, and I now feel that I have a whole world of friends to relate to!

I would also like to take this opportunity to let you all know that i did NOT cry as much as they portrayed me to! LOL
Editing is an evil, wicked thing Ive learned! lol I was so disappointed because I felt my quick wit and sense of humor didnt shine thru as much as my emotionally unbalanced insanity did! lol
Trust me, I was really funny!!!!! Tom and I had excellent banter, so hopefully somebody could tell.

As for the over all outcome of the show, i cant say I have any regrets at all. I made a promise to myself when I started this, that I was going to be 100% real, and I feel I was. I didnt sacrifice myself or my integrity in anyway to conform to expectations. I am VERY proud of myself and my accomplishments.
That being said, I want to be sure everyone knows that I am, by no means, "fixed", or done. This tv show was simply the kick start I needed to get my life back. I am in the gym 5 days a week with a trainer, eating about 1200 calories or less a day, and trying to surround myself with positivity as much as I can.

I am looking forward to becoming more active on the site, and hoping to find some accountability buddies in the process!

Eliana
01-29-2011, 11:26 AM
I am looking forward to becoming more active on the site, and hoping to find some accountability buddies in the process!

I'm glad! This place is so full of great motivational, inspirational and educational information it is unbelievable. If you do stick around, you'll find hugs when you need them and kicks in the rear when you need those too. ;) I'm particularly fond of the 100 pound club myself. ;) Everyone there has been there done that or are at least extremely supportive of those us going through it.

Your light definitely shone through. :) And I think you were very wise to take a media break! LOL! I don't know how I would have done it. I bet you now have a million friends you didn't know you had.

tytbody
01-29-2011, 11:40 AM
Welcome back Jodi. We need you. I just weighed myself and see now weight changes.

did you have weeks when you ate what you were suppose to, been in the gym and still not lose anything?

is the 1200 calorie a lot less then you used to eat?

How did they determine 1200 was a good number for you?

Ann72
01-29-2011, 09:24 PM
I missed this show, but was able to catch it through On Demand on my cable (Comcast). I only watched the first episode (jodi's), but I think I'll watch future episodes as well. It did seem more realistic than TBL, especially since we got to follow the people home and see that they had real lives, real issues, and had to balance it all just like the rest of us.

Jodi--Thanks so much for sharing! I loved watching that little bit of your journey (though I realize it was highly edited!). Yes, they did show lots of tears, but also lots of your strong personality, determination, and love of your family came through. I know you can keep it going. It won't always be easy, but keep putting the effort into it. You are worth it! I hope you won't be a stranger to these boards. I'd love to keep tabs on your progress and support one another on our journeys. :)

stasiagurl91
01-30-2011, 11:41 AM
@Annie Drews
I can see your point, but the way I see it is that they choose to be on these shows to be an inspiration to people who are in the same situation as they are.
I've been watching Heavy. Much more realistic and inspiring than Biggest Loser. I watch BL sometimes, but not my favorite show. It was exciting at first, but now I don't feel it's so realistic because the contestant have it a lot easier than people who don't live at that ranch. They don't see fast food restaurants, they don't have family events where a lot of bad food is served, etc. Heavy does have a certain time where the individuals are at this fitness center place, but they also show their life after they leave that place.

QuailingQuazar
01-30-2011, 02:24 PM
Welcome back Jodi. We need you. I just weighed myself and see now weight changes.

did you have weeks when you ate what you were suppose to, been in the gym and still not lose anything?

is the 1200 calorie a lot less then you used to eat?

How did they determine 1200 was a good number for you?

Considering the pint of Haagen Dasz ice cream, I so frequently LOVED to indulge in has about 2300 calories in it, Id say yeah, 1200 is WAY more than I was used to taking in! lol

PLEASE know, that there have been MANY times I have stepped on that scale and wanted to literally kick it to the moon, crawl into my bed and die there! I have had weeks when I know I have eaten as little as 700 calories a day, worked out 3 hours a day for a straight week and lost 1 lb!!!!!!!!

The hardest part, is learning that the scale does NOT dictate your own personal happiness and growth! I lost WAY more inches than pounds, and quite frankly, Im really happy about that!

Its hard. It hurts. You WILL suffer. You WILL still feel hungry. You WILL still want to binge on sugar and other crap you know you dont need. But it is NOT impossible! I will say it till Im blue in the face, If youre not fighting for it, it isnt worth having!!!
There is NO greater feeling in this world than going to put on a pair of jeans, that 3 months prior, you had to pull the zipper up with a pair of pliers, just to get them on, and have them literally fall off your waiste!!!

Ok, Ill get off my soap box now...sorry to ramble ladies, I was just on a roll! LOL:carrot:

tytbody
01-30-2011, 02:41 PM
That was a good roll and a roll we NEED to hear. I do appreciate the honesty. Where else are we going to get it. They have it painted everywhere that your pants will fall off in 6 weeks and it ain't so.

Thats why the addiction of 'screw it' comes in because our pants don't drop off, the scale doesn't move to a lower digit and we feel we sacrifice so much good to get some results that don't happen.

This reminds me of people who get out of jail try to make it in the regular stream and the world does not want to give them a job for a mistake.

The person says, 'screw it' how am I suppose to eat. Therefore they go back to then fast money of drugs.

Yes this is a fight . All I can say is God help me be stay on the right path and know it will bring good results.

QuailingQuazar
01-30-2011, 07:56 PM
That was a good roll and a roll we NEED to hear. I do appreciate the honesty. Where else are we going to get it. They have it painted everywhere that your pants will fall off in 6 weeks and it ain't so.

Thats why the addiction of 'screw it' comes in because our pants don't drop off, the scale doesn't move to a lower digit and we feel we sacrifice so much good to get some results that don't happen.

This reminds me of people who get out of jail try to make it in the regular stream and the world does not want to give them a job for a mistake.

The person says, 'screw it' how am I suppose to eat. Therefore they go back to then fast money of drugs.

Yes this is a fight . All I can say is God help me be stay on the right path and know it will bring good results.

SO much truth in everything you said. I too, have suffered with the "screw it" mentality for years. Even as recent as a few months ago.
I had many issues letting go of bitterness. Feeling bitter toward people who can eat whatever the **** they want and never gain an ounce, meanwhile I can smell something fattening and gain! lol
I just really had to understand that everybody's body is different, AND that the longer it takes to get it off, the longer it takes to put back on!
NO person should be losing 8 lbs every week. It simply is NOT healthy, nor is it typical.
My trainer is extatic with 5 lbs a month! I, of course, am usually devastated when that happens, and for all the reasons we listed previously.

It all goes back to the whole idea of "if youre not ready to change your mind, your body will never change". Its so true. ONce you free your mind, the body naturally begins to follow. This was the hardest part of all of this for me.
I can do the work outs, the sweating, the puking, the sore feet and muscles, but the mental...now THATS the hard work.
I simply didnt love myself enough to do it for the right reasons. Well, now, I am learning to do just that.
IN fact, I bought myself a shirt recently that says I love My Booty. lolol
I have decided to embrace what I will apparently always have! LOL

joyfulloser
01-31-2011, 08:28 AM
Hello Jodi!:D

Does the show give you the opportunity to come back and do a "Where are they Now?" type episode once you've lost at or near goal? The reason I ask, is because that could also serve as motivation to continue. I try to motivation where I can find it...sometimes it hides under my bed though!:p

QuailingQuazar
01-31-2011, 11:20 AM
Hello Jodi!:D

Does the show give you the opportunity to come back and do a "Where are they Now?" type episode once you've lost at or near goal? The reason I ask, is because that could also serve as motivation to continue. I try to motivation where I can find it...sometimes it hides under my bed though!:p

Im sure they will do something of the sort, but we wont know until it creeps up on us, like always. lol
As it is, those of who had better results, or well, surgery to create better results, got a lot more media attention, as you will see.

Aunty Jam
01-31-2011, 01:15 PM
Hi Jodi :) Welcome back. I'm surprised some of the people had surgery... I thought that would go against the grain of the show :( I'm kind of dissapointed in it now.

Regarding your statment "weeks when I know I have eaten as little as 700 calories a day, worked out 3 hours a day for a straight week and lost 1 lb!!!!!!!!". The reason you only lost 1 pound is probably because you ate so few calories! When we don't eat enough our bodies go into starvation mode and actually try to conserve fat :( I think we are probably all guilty of doing this at some point, please try to stick to a healthy diet.

Do you still see Tom? What happened with him and that girl? I know, I know... I'm terrible!!!!

tea2
01-31-2011, 11:38 PM
Jodi: I just wanted to say that both things came across (to me) equally: your fun personality and your emotional intensity. I really envy you that happy disposition. (I have enough emotional intensity of my own, lol--sometimes just the workout and pushing my body brings it out!). You did so well and I was so inspired by you! :D

I love the show as a whole: a much kinder, gentler version of BL and no (or not very much so far) yelling.

seagirl
02-01-2011, 06:33 PM
I am loving this show. I was surprised that that woman had surgery after losing only 50 pounds. Your body still has so many changes to go through, although I can see wanting to get rid of that excess fat.

They do tend to like the crying shots, but over all I like the show.

tytbody
02-01-2011, 07:10 PM
I know, that's not cool. they are really hurting.

QuailingQuazar
02-01-2011, 07:23 PM
The worst part of all of this is, nobody got to see how much FUN we had while at that resort for the 30 days!
Editors were so busy trying to focus on me being emotional, that they missed out on WHY I was so emotional most of the time. I, as well as some of the others, was completely overwhelmed with everything in the first week we were there. I was using muscles that hadnt been used in over 20 years!!!! I had to get used to it all before it got better, and it so did! I learned to totally enjoy working out!!! And my relationship with Britny was only rocky in the first few days, we are extremely close now and talk every day!
It really makes me sad as I continue to watch each week, everyone else's episode. I realy feel a bit betrayed in a lot of ways by how I was shown. I have no regrest, and completely own all of my baggage and leave NO room for denial at all.
I certainly never wouldve agreed to have my shiney hiney on national tv in some busted up polka dotted panties if I wasnt seriously ready to commit to change! LOL
Sorry...rantin on a roll again!!!:mad:

Nola Celeste
02-01-2011, 10:03 PM
Jodi,

For what it's worth, you did shine through the drama-tacular editing. Anyone who wonders why people cry when they push themselves that hard, well...it's like wondering why they sweat. It's natural to suffer some system shock, I should think! Lord knows I cry on my "hamster wheel" some days, and I wasn't being pushed nearly as hard as you were. (It alarms my husband so much; I don't think he'll ever get used to it. :D)

It did actually look like fun there, and I'm glad you (mostly) enjoyed it in addition to taking away so very much good from it.

You are spectacular, girl! Keep on keepin' on, and I'm really glad you're here. :)

Mmckellen
02-02-2011, 05:56 AM
I had the same question as Aunty Jam - with all that working out (even without it!) 700 calories is not enough. You WON'T lose if you eat that little. I've heard you should never go under 1100 cals. a day and don't forget if you are heavier you burn even more calories a day as a baseline. Can you have some metabolic testing done, to find out how many calories you burn in an average day? To lose 1 lb. a week eat 500 less, to lose 2 lbs. eat 1000 less. But you probably already know that.

Wildflower
02-06-2011, 12:16 AM
I've been catching these on our Comcast On Demand service. Really like the show! And how exciting that one of the people is right here in our little forum. :)

Jodi, I think you came across as a really funny person...a dry sense of humor, very witty. I was so glad to see you back to singing with the band by the end of the episode. Hope that keeps up, and all is going smooth (considering) with your mom and husband. :) Oh, and you looked soooo different by the end, really fantastic!!! When watching, we were so surprised at how much healthier/happier the participants start to look right away - even before the huge loses. Must be all that working out gets the blood circulating? Everyone just started to get a really healthy glow part of the way through...

The show is definitely inspiring me and my fiancee to get more serious about our healthy living plans...he's been watching the episodes with me. Thank you!

pamatga
02-09-2011, 01:01 PM
I like this show too. I watch both Biggest Loser and Heavy for the sole reason of connecting with others who are trying to do what I am doing. I still find it inspirational that people who once would have been given up on are given a chance to change their life around.

I think Heavy deals more directly with how life issues make losing weight harder and at the same time easier to fall back on the old ways of coping.

I wish you the best and I hope to see you someday out there rockin it to the rest of the world!

thinner
02-09-2011, 10:44 PM
i love this show!! i too would like to see a 'where are they now'. i like how the show gives a more realistic view of what it's like to try to lose, get back into exercise when you either have never done that or in a long time. i really like how they have concise episodes for each person. i think they talk too much about the emotional things because not every person is overweight due to emotions. or maybe they just picked certain contestants who they thought would fit that mold.

fattymcfatty
02-09-2011, 11:21 PM
I haven't been a fan of the physician in this show...
Maybe it is the way he is edited, but he seems so apathetic to the patients' situations.

milmin2043
02-10-2011, 03:26 AM
I agree about the editing. I was on a TV show in 2004 and the editing they did was ridiculous. If I had known the way they would hack the show apart, I would have never done it.

Everything now is for audience entertainment and real life is quite boring. They have to do something to spice it up or no one would watch.

bunnythesAINT
02-10-2011, 09:18 AM
At first I was a little "meh" about it. A&E shows are heavily edited (those lame Intervention commericals...'Will he save himself'? Come on) but I watched it and liked it. It definitely seems...different from other weight loss tv shows that I've seen and it's definitely on more of the extreme side. I wish they did more of a check-up though, like a half a year later or something longer than they do already. But other than that I like it.

joyfulloser
02-10-2011, 11:13 AM
I AGREE ^^! I love A&E's Heavy and MTV's I used to be FAT! I'm kinda diggin MTV's show a little better because they seem to follow the people closer to goal weight. Heavy just gives their contestants their start, but doesn't seem to follow them (at least to healthy BMI). No follow up, which leaves me wondering if they will really stick with it without all the cameras and lights on them....I sure hope they do...watching them sweat it out and persevere in very inspiring...(***warning***major run-on sentence alert***):D

The Chubster
02-10-2011, 06:27 PM
Every time the doc tells them that they have to lose weight... I feel like throwing my chair at him.

k15g15
02-12-2011, 11:37 AM
Way to go Quail!
I am a Hoarders junkie and just happened to catch Heavy after Intervention. I love it. It definately does not glamorize the process like a game show or so called reality show. You really get a look at all the pieces that feed into obesity and the behaviors that go with it.

Eliana
02-12-2011, 11:41 AM
I AGREE ^^! I love A&E's Heavy and MTV's I used to be FAT! I'm kinda diggin MTV's show a little better because they seem to follow the people closer to goal weight. Heavy just gives their contestants their start, but doesn't seem to follow them (at least to healthy BMI). No follow up, which leaves me wondering if they will really stick with it without all the cameras and lights on them....I sure hope they do...watching them sweat it out and persevere in very inspiring...(***warning***major run-on sentence alert***):D

You know, I completely agree with this right down to the warning. :rofl: Just kidding. ;) This is why I'm hoping they do a follow up to heavy. I want to see them succeed all the way to goal. The MTV show doesn't always bring them to goal, but they do a three month follow up at the end and sometimes they're at goal at that point.

I loved the most recent episode with Kirsten...her dad was awesome! (I Used To Be Fat episode)

Tea Granny
02-12-2011, 11:52 AM
Every time the doc tells them that they have to lose weight... I feel like throwing my chair at him.

Ditto! Does he truly think that they don't know that?? They have all just signed up to do one the hardest things in their lives, and to do it on international television at that - what a doofus.

tytbody
02-12-2011, 12:11 PM
he may have to keep saying it because there is a denial stage or time or whatever. They hear it from family, and maybe the doc saying it will really bring it home. You see how they eat at the table sometimes, it's difficult to say no when the family is eating pancakes and and syrup.

They need the reinforcement of those words cause they don't get it at home.

Munchy
02-18-2011, 12:46 PM
he may have to keep saying it because there is a denial stage or time or whatever. They hear it from family, and maybe the doc saying it will really bring it home. You see how they eat at the table sometimes, it's difficult to say no when the family is eating pancakes and and syrup.

They need the reinforcement of those words cause they don't get it at home.

I can't imagine not accommodating someone in my household if they needed to change their diet in some way. I just feel like it's so cruel for families to just say "well, that's YOUR problem" and go on their merry way. If I had an alcoholic in my household I most certainly would not buy alcohol or have a few drinks with dinner. It's a family affair.

GypsyQueen
02-18-2011, 03:25 PM
I like the show but hate it at the same time because it makes it look impossible to lose weight unless you have 8 to 13 hours a day to work out, and a personal trainer. If I hadnt already lost 73 pounds in just 4 months on just eating healthy that show would have for sure made me feel even more that it was impossible to lose weight. You dont need to puke and nearly die of exhaustion to lose weight. Ive lost this much this fast on basing my weight loss on healthy eating alone not working out. I just do little exercise (not even daily) and mostly just daily activities. I actually wrote a blog entry about all this and the show.

hayleycreates
02-20-2011, 07:56 PM

I feel exactly the same way. Everyone needs a reality check as well as compassion - but this guy seems totally disinterested. Really, was he the best they could find?

Jodi, simply put - you rock.

I really enjoyed the show, well still am enjoying it. I find it very inspiring.

Spooky
02-20-2011, 08:49 PM
I disagree about the doctor. I like him. He has a frank, even manner that isn't accusatory but is still very firm about what needs to be done. If more doctors were like him maybe less people would be overweight or obese. It's such a touchy issue and one that a lot of doctors don't discuss. I'm a medical professional and have been seeing the same primary medical doctor for over 5 years and she has never once mentioned my weight and the possible health ramifications.
Maybe it's because I don't have diabetes or hypertension or any other obesity-related disease. But why wait until then to mention it? Because people are sensitive about their weight.
It is a measurement like anything else. A doctor should be no more hesitant to say someone needs to lose weight than to say your blood sugar needs to come down or your blood pressure needs to be in a healthy range. If I wasn't shielded for so long maybe I wouldn't have such a skewed body image (I still don't think I'm *that* big, but who am I kidding? I'm obese!).

I love the show but I don't like the editing and I especially don't like the way the females bare their midsections with disgust in the beginning. Some of it is, well, exploitative. I just watched last week's episode today. I have to say: Flor is my hero!

ish
05-21-2011, 08:18 AM
I'm loving this show, I just wish some of the contestants weren't quite so heavy. I want to see someone start at my weight is what I want to see! haha

tytbody
05-21-2011, 06:38 PM
is the show still on? I stopped watching it. I didn't like the two camps or the new trainers. lost interest .