Old 12-01-2010, 02:48 PM   #1  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

Default Redesigning plan to fit new lifestyle

I remember when Ubergirl went through this with new job and Saef's comment about whether or not could stick with her plan as priorities shifted.

I'm going through this right now. First, I have less wiggle room than I used to now that I'm approaching normal BMI. Second my schedule no longer revolves around just me. I had a routine both for eating and exercising that was working great that I felt I could stick with the rest of my life. I did not take into account adding someone else into my life.

My plan had me eating bulk of my calories during the morning and early afternoon when I'm hungriest and tapering off to a light snack in the evening. I pretty much ate every 2-3 hours. A whole list of go to foods that would give me the most nutrition and satiety for the calories I was eating. I didn't really eat what most would consider meals.

Exercise routine was not only good for me and my plan but frankly helped me fill up times I would have been lonely. Long sessions of swimming on Saturday afternoons led to early Saturday nights without missing the traditional "date night" and Sundays spent hiking made me mentally happy as well while avoiding the fact that other people spent days with their families that I don't have.

Now I have to adjust to saving calories to share an evening meal and fitting my workouts in at different times. Hiking has dropped out of my schedule completely for now but will be put back in after holiday season and the new couple has settled into routines that allows for time apart. We're still in that giddy want-to-spend-all-our-free-time-together stage (yes, even at ages 51 and 58).

So far have gained 2 lbs in one month so I know I need to get a handle on this. Writing it out here has helped. Thanks for listening.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:59 PM   #2  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

Congrats on the new relationship!!!

I know you can figure it out. It takes time to adjust. I'm sure the new person in your life knows about the absolutely fantastic progress you have made in your health and will understand that this is also something that will take some time.

Would this person accompany you as you exercise? Hiking is an excellent thing to do together and you can spend quality time together while getting some exercise.
matt_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:04 PM   #3  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:
We're still in that giddy want-to-spend-all-our-free-time-together stage (yes, even at ages 51 and 58).
You are making me smile. I am so happy for you! I am confident that you will work out a new routine.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:47 PM   #4  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

I"m sure you'll figure it out...and congrats.

watch out though! relationships make you fat! :P
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:56 PM   #5  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Congrats on the relationship!

And congrats on realizing this facet too.

I'm still having trouble with this area -- where your life changes, and new things come on the front burner and how to keep stirring the weight loss pot and not let it get on the back burner or worse... off the stove entirely.

As a student, and as a student young couple, it wasn't so bad. As a working couple it got harder and once the kid came... I never feel like I have a good handle on it. At least, not as good as when I was a student couple.

So that's my challenge now too -- adjusting to this in my world.

GL!
A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:26 PM   #6  
Age 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_H View Post
Would this person accompany you as you exercise? Hiking is an excellent thing to do together and you can spend quality time together while getting some exercise.
As I've been internet dating I've often made connections on shared love of hiking. However this man has a physically demanding job and his hips and knees are not up to the kind of treks I head out on. We have managed to share some walks in the park though.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:43 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

So so happy that you have a happy new relationship!!! Boy do I understand about how hard it is to find a new groove when you break one....

Are you ready to call yourself a maintainer? You need to figure out an exercise plan you can stick to, even if it's not the one that you had before.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:40 AM   #8  
I want to feel better

S/C/G: 291.2/???/healthier

Height: 5 foot 3.5 inches

Congratulations on your new relationship!!!

It might take some trial and error, but I'm sure you will be able to figure this out. Taking walks together in the park sounds nice, I wish my hubby would do that with me, but I'm too slow for him and I would whine.
MablesGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:29 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 298/238...285.5/217/150

Height: 5'5"

That is a wonderful addition to your life - congrats!
DixC Chix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:34 AM   #10  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Congrats!! Like all the others, I know you will figure out how to balance and juggle it all.

"We're still in that giddy want-to-spend-all-our-free-time-together stage (yes, even at ages 51 and 58)."

I love this!! Hubby and I are still like this almost 8 years later! It's totally awesome when you find that one person that makes your life magical!

What about bike riding? Could you maybe do that together, it may be easier on his knees and hips??? Gah I don't know, bike seats make my bum hurt so I'm not a good one to ask there, but it's a thought maybe?
findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:07 AM   #11  
Age 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by findingfawn View Post
What about bike riding? Could you maybe do that together, it may be easier on his knees and hips??? Gah I don't know, bike seats make my bum hurt so I'm not a good one to ask there, but it's a thought maybe?
Yes, he bikes and we're looking at bike for me to ride with him in the Spring.