General Diet Plans and Questions - Plateaus

View Full Version : Plateaus

HermersSis
12-01-2010, 12:40 PM
Has anyone ever noticed that after they have reached a plateau and eat MORE they begin to lose weight again?

I was at a plateau for three days before thanksgiving and I had a lot of drama going on. Thanksgiving day I didn't gorge myself but I ate like semi normal (slightly small portions). I KNOW that food was high calorie but after that I started losing weight again.

I'm starting to think the best way for me to jump out of a plateau is to kick up my calories for just one day. Anyone else experience this?

Also, I'm pretty sure I'm not reaching a plateau occasionally because of diet. I eat the same thing everyday. Literally.

Eliana
12-01-2010, 12:44 PM
It depends on your definition of a plateau. For me, it's not a plateau until I hit the two month mark. I'm there now!

I can tell you that I finally just increased the exercise AND the calories and I'm hopeful that the fact that I've lost a couple ounces two days in a row now means I might be starting to lose again.

But generally speaking, no, increasing the calories does not work for me, only decreasing.

But I am of the opinion that you should eat as much as you can and still lose weight. :D

HermersSis
12-01-2010, 12:50 PM
Ah, I see.
No a plateau for me is not losing anything for a couple of days.

I'm going to experiment with this today and up the calories.

pammi2003
12-01-2010, 12:57 PM
I don't think 3 days of not losing anything would signify calling it a plateau.
I went through a small plateau a few months ago where I did not lose a single pound for a whole month.
I added heavier weights, more cardio and started to eat more. My plateau broke immediately after that.

HermersSis
12-01-2010, 01:02 PM
I don't think 3 days of not losing anything would signify calling it a plateau.

To me it does.

pammi2003
12-01-2010, 01:14 PM
Try eating 1200 calories and working out for 3 hours straight like the Biggest Loser contestants.

You'll lose like crazy.

HermersSis
12-01-2010, 01:19 PM
No, I don't do much working out it halts me even more. I'm going to up the calories and see what happens tomorrow. What sucks is that I'm not that hungry. I'm not really looking for ways to break the plateau. I'm just wondering if people experienced similar occurrences.

lazylioness
12-01-2010, 02:23 PM
That happens to me. A plateau for me right now is a few days. Now granted, I fully expect to have longer ones as the pounds drop off. However. I have noticed that if I increase my calories for a day or two I have a "woosh" a few days later.

Everyone is different and everyone has a different journey. I have found that because I know this about my body, it gives me a little "excuse" to have more than I should more often. That is not good either

HermersSis
12-01-2010, 03:09 PM
That happens to me. A plateau for me right now is a few days. Now granted, I fully expect to have longer ones as the pounds drop off. However. I have noticed that if I increase my calories for a day or two I have a "woosh" a few days later.

Everyone is different and everyone has a different journey. I have found that because I know this about my body, it gives me a little "excuse" to have more than I should more often. That is not good either

Well that's very true and even though you shouldn't use it as an excuse it definitely means something. Some people drop pounds by exercising tons. Some by mostly dieting. You can ask for advice and look up stuff but it comes down to trial and error. Once you'd found something that works stick with it. :)

And an update. Evidently I didn't hit a plateau. I weighed myself after...ahem...going to the potty. I know, it's gross but I have IBS and I tend to get constipated and not use the bathroom for 3 days. So everything built up and matched what I lost. I gotta fix my scale. I'm 8 ounces to goal. :D

Lol, sorry, I know a few people up here have IBS too so they'd know what I'm talking about.