Weight Loss Surgery - Let's just suppose........

View Full Version : Let's just suppose........

peach pit
11-11-2002, 06:20 PM
I was interested in getting banded. I imagine I start with my primary care doctor and try to get him to agree. Is that correct? My health care stinks, or so I think....Etna/US health care. Then where do I go and what do I do?

just suppose, ok?

thanks,
peach

jiffypop
11-11-2002, 08:38 PM
maybe you could try contacting mary in cedar knolls nj for a consult. and you could even ask your sister for the phone number.

that is, if you were not just supposing.

and you could also check with your health insurance to check your coverage.

and if the insurance company says you need a referral, you go get the referral. and if your doctor doesn't want to give it to you, then change doctors.

that is, if you were not just supposing.

and if you wanted to continue just supposing, maybe you could go to mary's orientation meeting on november 20 at 6 pm. in cedar knolls.

or, maybe there are a few internet sites, like http://www.obesitylapbandsurgery.com/
and www.spotlighthealth.com
or http://bioenterics.com/products/obesity/us/patient/patient.html

debkay
11-12-2002, 06:56 AM
peachie, just suppose.............the doctor isn't sure about doing a referral..........break into tears :cry: worked for me, the :angel: that I am.

You two just crack me up.........I can't wait to see both of you again. May, will it ever get here.

Love ya both
Debbie

peach pit
11-12-2002, 06:22 PM
hmmmmm......I suppose I thought that you all would send me to an out post run by the National Audobon Society!

So.....suppose I looked in the Aetna (with an A) book that lists all the providers that we are able to use? AND Suppose your doctor, Jiff, is in there.

I suppose that would be encouraging news!

AND

I suppose that if my sister gave me Mary's number that I could just leave it on the kitchen table and look at it for a while!

And

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to look at the links you posted....which I suppose I sort of already have done.

I also suppose that I would not make a wednesday night meeting because wrestling season starts next week. grrrrrrrrrr I suppose I checked that too!

but I could still just look at Mary's number for a while!

And

I suppose my primary care doctor is puddy in my hands. Doctor, I could really use some phentermine, a water pill, a little more codeine please? BUT I also suppose that he would have to find something wrong with me to justify the referal? I don't think I have diabetes....although I am not sure. I don't think I have high blood pressure. I know my varicose veins are bad......

just supposiing!!!

Thanks, No supposing there!

And

May can not come soon enough for me!!!

love,
peach

ageoldie
11-17-2002, 09:53 PM
Suppose I was thinking of doing the same thing? I already feel like an expert on the subject of WLS, but the thought of considering it for myself is scary.

jiffypop
11-17-2002, 10:03 PM
listen, you two.... you've BOTH seen it first hand. and you've BOTH been struggling. and you BOTH have horrible knees, which gives you the required comorbidities for the relative lightweight like peachie...

LOOK INTO IT!!! you can SAY NO at any point.

yes... it can happen to you. and everything good AND bad that's happened to debk, me, alvin, can happen to you.

as you well know.. it's not for everyone, and it's a choice only YOU can make.

love you both... very very much. and whatever you decide, i'll be right there behind you...

KO
11-17-2002, 10:40 PM
is lapband covered by insurance now?

jiffypop
11-18-2002, 02:53 PM
at least in general. no insurance company can say that it's experimental. but they can still deny coverage for a number of reasons, both administrative and medical.

it was approved by the FDA in 2001, but there are relatively few US surgeons who are trained and who have the experience in aftercare. new jersey is lucky; there are several.

a number of people are going to mexico, because there's more experience down there.

peach pit
11-18-2002, 07:03 PM
Hey Barb and KO (good to see you btw!) are you two thinking about "IT" also?

supposing has been good for me. It seems to give me hope.

BUT!

Here is the question of the Day:

Debkay and Jiff...can you guarantee me that when they go in "there" that "they" WON'T un-tie my tubes?

listen...this has been on my mind ALL day...and not good for my mental health.....and WE ALL know that is NOT a good thing!

later,
peach
and NO I have not been o d ing on sugar today!!!!

peach pit
11-18-2002, 07:05 PM
hey!!!!! I just read this over......WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH MY KNEES< JIFF?????

I think they are lovely.

peach

peach pit
11-18-2002, 07:07 PM
ummmm Jiff?

Will you get crickets for the great and wonderful lizard, godzilla, while I am gone?

peach

peach pit
11-18-2002, 07:08 PM
:ziplip:

debkay
11-18-2002, 07:33 PM
My dear peach, with all they did to me, and all the many weeks they had to do it in, they didn't un-tie my tubes :lol: At least not as far as I know.

answering for Jiff here, she would be DELIGHTED to feed godzilla :yes:

peachie if you decide to do "IT" you have my support 100%.

Barb would you be interested in band or RNY?

Debbie

jiffypop
11-18-2002, 08:36 PM
PEACHIE: WHERE ARE YOU GOING????? the lap band is same day surgery... you're not going anywhere!!! and your knees are lovely, but didn't you tell me the other day that they hurt like....???? or was that someone else i was talking to? the someone else who lives in your house and feeds godzilla????

and as for untying your tubes... they won't be operating in the same area!! close, but not close enough...

KO
11-21-2002, 01:17 PM
Hi
I decided I want to have IT done after months of deliberating in my head seeing my sis in the small percentage that has a hard time and realizing A that i'm not her (i'd have to be 5 inches taller to be her) and B my bod is aging and this weight is not helping my bad knees and hips and well everything LOL
I'm not sure if the Insurance my moms about to get (PLEASE GOD of INSURANCE SMILE UPON US SOON) covers lapband and my sis had RNY so i have to poke around a bit
Oh Jiff! my sis has met you ;) and do you have that mary lady's email? b/c sis asked her if i could mail her some questions and i cant find her email and aol ate the email sis sent me
ttya later
Kier
oh ps does lapband have a shorter recovery?

jiffypop
12-10-2002, 11:50 PM
well, now,. let's just suppose that i went to the support group meeting tonight, and ran into the surgeon. and suppose [after all the compliments he paid me, like it was a pure pleasure to care for me - maybe he wasn't really paying attention and just didn't hear me??? - and they've never had anyone lose 1/2 their body weight beofre..

oh. we're supposing. let's get back on track.. .so. let's just suppose that i mentioned to him that my sister had decided to get banded, and that she wanted him to do it. and suppose that he said that he'd be happy to do it...

and suppose that i then told him i wasn't staying for the meeting because i was having dinner with some friends.. and he thought that was a better idea.

but all this is just supposing... isn't it?? or is it????

debkay
12-11-2002, 06:59 AM
Let's just suppose.......there is a MASSIVE amount of support coming from the deep south!!!

SUPPOSE NOTHING!!!!!!! You have all my support!!!

Jiff, when she is ready.......I know you will hold her hand throughout the whole thing......and the weight on your shoulder will be me.......right there with you supporting your little sis.

Love ya peach, we want you to be happy!!
Debbie

MamaJ
12-12-2002, 09:03 PM
Let's just suppose that I've been lurking here for awhile....

Also - let's just suppose that you've been getting some prayers your way - ALSO

Let's just suppose - that this is something I'm looking into, not only for my friend, but for my brother !!!

Let's just suppose that I think a certain friend of mind should pursue it.

Let's just suppose ......

that you have some terrific people that have been there and done that AND some who sorta have that are right ther with you !!!

Hey, I'd love to come to Joisey whenever allowed! How bout you Deb?? I think we'd look cute in those nursey (home care) outfits!

Janice

(didn't know I lurked here, did ya??? lol )

Ruthxxx
12-12-2002, 09:38 PM
Shhhhh! we all lurk here. Just SUPPOSE Peachie does it - wanna bet she won't have visitors from the South and the Great White North! Imagine a big busted white haired Hen with a metal bra and a chicken purse - those big haired Southern gals are nothing compared to feisty Canuk types.
Just SUPPOSE!

jiffypop
12-13-2002, 03:36 PM
NOW you folks are scaring me!!!! and none of you needs a special invitation to come to joisy... just show up!!!!

now, all peachie has to do is to call mary meola at partnership in weight control to get the ball rolling. and since many hundreds of people are interested in this, if she wants to have this done by the MAY CHICK MEET, she'd better get going!!!

but then again, we're all just supposing here...

and debk.. welcome back from the islands. and now, girlfriend. i saw that picture of you all gussied up for your christmas party, and you looked GAWJUS!!!!

BUT!!!! THAT DRESS IS TOO BIG, GIRLFRIEND!!!!!!!

peach pit
12-15-2002, 08:09 AM
You guys really are sweet and it means an awful lot that you posted!! This is not an easy thing for me.

Suppose I promise to make 'THE CALL' this week.?

just suppose, ok?

I did mention it to dh and as long as the insurance co. will pick up the tab, he will go along with it. He is NOT REAL enthusiastic about it, but will tolerate it. He loves me, but I think tolerance is a key to our happy home! :lol:

I love you guys and really hope to work my surgery date around our May dates!

peach

Ruthxxx
12-15-2002, 11:37 AM
I sure as heck would work it around the May date! Can you imagine this nutsy crew showing up at the hospital the day after!
Peachie, I know that you have given this a lot of thought and know exactly what you are in for. Nothing like having Jiff to lead the charge. I certainly hope the insurance covers it althoug we could always have a bake sale to help out!
:grouphug:

jiffypop
12-15-2002, 11:23 PM
a low carb bake sale???? probablyl the high carb stuff would sell better....

peach pit
12-20-2002, 06:36 AM
Bake Sale?

I love bake sales! :dizzy:

Let's just SUPPOSE I have an appointment on January 3rd for a consultation.

Remember, I move slowly.....yep, slow and steady and with much care.

YIKES!

peach

debkay
12-20-2002, 06:58 AM
January 3rd.......marked on the calender :dance: :dance:

jiffypop
12-20-2002, 07:54 AM
do ya need directions???? the easiest is 287 south to route 10 west [and then you have to make a BIG u turn to get onto ridgedale avenue]

and then down ridgedale avenue for about a mile and a half... 5 traffic lights ... and 218 is on the right. and you go in the front door and it's the very first door on the left...