Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - OMG! Guess What I Ate and LOVED It?

HadEnough
11-30-2010, 08:06 PM
A sweet potato! Loved, loved, loved it! Just put a little butter on it and some cinnamon/maple/sugar mixture I had in the cupboard (just a little). How have I not tried these before? Oh, yes, I know. I came from an anti sweet potato/yam home and was told from a young age that I would hate them. Well, I am 46 now and I am in love! My hubby thinks I am nuts, but I am going to get him to try them too! I gotta go to the store and get some more!!!:carrot:

lazylioness
11-30-2010, 08:10 PM
cut them up like fries, roast them in the oven with some EVOO, salt and pepper, Then drizzle with a Balsamic Vinegar reduction. You will not be disappointed, and will never want "regular" french fries again.

angelanicole23
11-30-2010, 08:14 PM
I like washing them, cutting them into 'fries', spraying baking sheet w/ PAM...sprinkling them w/ a little salt or seasoning and baking them....flipping them after 15 mins or so. If i'm in a rush I will cook them in the microwave for a few mins....slice up and then put in the oven..to speed it up, lol. I love dipping them in ketchup like reg. fries, lol

Goldielockes
11-30-2010, 08:17 PM
I like to bake them and add a little bit of light butter, a shake of salt and a generous grind of pepper.

I didn't eat sweet potatoes growing up either - my family just never ate them. I didn't try them until I was making baby food for my oldest :)

nelie
11-30-2010, 08:49 PM
I eat them plain. Soo good

Sashasheen
11-30-2010, 09:12 PM
Spray some "i can't believe it's not butter" butter spray on them with a little plain cinnamon. It's so good without the extra calories!!!!

callie999
11-30-2010, 09:21 PM
I also cut them into thick-ish fries and then shake them in a ziploc bag to coat with olive oil, cinnamon, and paprika before putting them in the oven on a cookie sheet. They don't get super crispy but are still way better than normal fries. :-D

GradPhase
11-30-2010, 09:28 PM
Bleeggccchhhkkk!!!

To try them, I'd have to have them savory. I've tried them sweet and it is NOT for me! Baby food - bleghthth!

Can you purchase pre-cut sweet potato fries in the frozen food section like regular fries? How hard are they to cut in to fries, if you only have a knife and not one of those swish-swish-you're-done magic fry cutting things?

flashfacts
11-30-2010, 10:04 PM
Yum, I just mashed some for dinner tonight. The great thing is that they don't need much, just salt. I add some pepper flakes for a little kick, but they are totally great with just salt.

They are also super cheap right now, which doesn't hurt either ;)

Shytowngal
11-30-2010, 10:29 PM
I like them savory too, just like a baked potato. A couple sprays of butter, fat free sour cream and lots of pepper. YUM! I also have made them like fries with chipotle seasoning... so good.

Shytowngal
11-30-2010, 10:30 PM
Also - they are not hard to cut into fries with a knife. Might take a total of five to 10 minutes depending on knife skills. So worth it.

foodmasochist
12-01-2010, 12:24 AM
Also, i just tried an acorn squash, i thought it tasted just like a SWEET POTATO but *more* of it :) YUM!!!! Buy an acorn squash, cut in half, spray with pam, sprinkle w/ a bit of salt, and bake cut side down at 350 for about 45 minutes or however you like it.

-fm

Nola Celeste
12-01-2010, 12:32 AM
Yep, seconding both the acorn squash love and the sweet potato love! Have you ever tried a squash soup? OMG, so good...wish I had some right now, in fact. :D

If you're adventurous and have some international food markets in your area, you can also try some deep purple Okinawan sweet potatoes or some other Japanese varieties that are white. I tried one of the purple ones baked and it was delicious--came out a really deeeeeeep purple, too, which was fun to eat.

cherrypie
12-01-2010, 02:57 AM
mmm I just eat them plain

janachen
12-01-2010, 04:29 AM
same here.. but this is something that i really want to experiment... nice

coffeebean267
12-01-2010, 01:43 PM
I getting hungry you guys! I love love love sweet potato fries!