General chatter - HP Deathly Hallows Pt. 1 SPOILER ALERT

tikanique
11-30-2010, 02:59 PM
alright let's talk. Am I blind or did they disarm Narcissa, not Bellatrix, at Malfoy Manor? I could have sworn I read somewhere a clip about Helene Bonham Carter acting like Hermione in Bellatrix clothes but if they disarmed Narcissa in the movie, then it isn't going to play right.

And what did you all think of the Harry / Hermione dance scene in the tent? I've read that a lot of people loved it. I HATED it. I would have rather had that deleted but then have Peter Pettigrew's hand flip out and choke him to death.

Another thing I'm confused on, I thought in the book, they had just finished robbing Gringott's when Voldemort broke open the crypt. Did I remember that wrong too? I need to go back and re-read this one, but I'm in the middle of Order of the Phoenix so I want to finish that one first.

I loved the opening with Hermione obliviating her parents. She played that really well as did Ron when he flipped out in the tent and left.

Flamethrower
11-30-2010, 05:12 PM
I really liked the dance scene because I thought it was sweet, and I like it when people do stuff like that for me when I'm upset xD But then I'm a bit of a sap sometimes.

Huh, I honestly don't remember. And I haven't read any of the books in forever, but the movie seemed to flow quite nicely regardless.

And yeah, props to Emma Watson. She's not the best actress, but she did really show some improvement in this film.

just keep swimming
11-30-2010, 06:16 PM
The dance scene was OK, but I thought it was an unnecessary addition. I didn't notice if they disarmed Narcissa, but Bellatrix did say something like, "How dare you defy your master?" which I took to mean Narcissa, since she's a Malfoy.

I thought it was a little weird that they didn't have Pettigrew's hand strangle him. Do you remember if in the 4th movie (like in the book) Dumbledore told Harry that he would be glad he had spared Pettigrew's life someday? Because if he said it, then the hand thing really should have been included in the movie.

I always thought Daniel Radcliffe was the weakest link, and that he was awfully lucky he looked like Harry Potter. :lol: They were all a lot better in this movie, though. And Emma Watson grew up to be absolutely gorgeous, huh?

Man, I can talk for days about Harry Potter if you get me started. :lol:

Edit: OK, one more thing. :D I think one thing these movies does incredibly well is casting. Bellatrix might as well have been written to be played by Helena Bonham Carter, and Umbridge is SO PERFECT. Others too, but I think those are the standouts.

cornellchick
11-30-2010, 06:57 PM
JKS - I agree about the great casting! The main characters all got cast based on looks and age, but have definitely grown into the parts by now (kind of unrelated, but poor Emma Watson being contractually obligated to keep her hair long for the films - glad she finally has the freedom to do her own thing again!).

Luna Lovegood is my favorite in the movies. Evanna Lynch is perfect for that part.

I want part 2!!!

tikanique
11-30-2010, 08:12 PM
Ironically, Helene Bonham Carter was not supposed to play Bellatrix. Whomever the lady is that plays Narcissa was originaly cast for Bella's role but she got pregnant and had to bow out. I will have to re-watch GoF to see if Dumbledore says anything about Pettigrew owing Potter a favor. That's a good point.

I think Rupert is the strongest of the three main actors, then Daniel and Emma kind of swap back and forth. And I positively bristle whenever I see the name Imelda Staunton. She played Umbridge perfectly.

I wish the editors hadn't cut out the backstory for Dean Thomas. Whenever I read about wizards that have been killed by Death Eaters I wonder if it was his dad.

GradPhase
11-30-2010, 08:16 PM
So.. I haven't read any of the books....

But gah I cried SO HARD when Dobby died!! I didn't have a clue! It was AWFUL!!!! I never cry in movies but that hit me like a ton of freaking bricks!!!

Also, I thought the dance scene was really weird and misplaced, but now, reflecting on it, I really like what they did there.

I also thought it was so strange in the movie before this one that Ron and Hermoine were dating because I feel like it was absolutely out of nowhere, so I'm glad in this movie they really played that aspect up (I guess they had to). The boyfriend had to explain that in the books in makes more sense.

I do plan on reading every last one of them. I'm just really late on the HP bandwagon.

Shopaholic1204
11-30-2010, 08:57 PM
I just re-read the last book a few weeks before the movie came out. But I can't remember that one little detail now, lol!!

I LOVED the dance scene. I didn't like it the first time I saw the movie..but when we saw it the next day, I loved it. I know my friends would do something like that for me.

I cried so hard when Dobby died too. I cried in the books & cried both times I saw it in the theater. Whenever I think about it, I start crying all over again. Same with Hedwig. :( I kinda wish they showed the headstone Harry made for Dobby. "Here Lies Dobby, A Free Elf". Okay..I think I'm going to cry again!!!

tikanique
11-30-2010, 09:20 PM
I cried when Dobby died in the book, but not in the movie - the Girl was watching me real close so I had to "man up!" LOL

In the book they definitely disarm Bellatrix because when Hermione goes to Diagon Alley disguised as Bella, a wizard comments that he'd heard she no longer had her wand, at which point, Hermione-Bella pulled it out and told him to check his facts. But in the movie I swear it was Narcissa's wand that flew out her hand, not Bellatrix'.

just keep swimming
11-30-2010, 10:08 PM
Shop - I cried repeatedly when reading the books (especially at Dobby's headstone), and nearly during the movie.

Cornell - I can't believe I forgot Evanna Lynch as one of the awesome casting choices! "That's an odd thing to keep in your sock." :lol:

Eskinomad - I feel like they handled the Ron/Hermione thing really oddly in the 6th movie, especially considering how they sort of erased it with this one.

I really think this movie was the best so far, largely because it was so true to the books. I was wondering where they were going to end this one, but I think it worked, even though I think you're right, tikanique, that the elder wand was taken from the tomb later.

I do wish there had been more of the Dumbledore backstory, with the Grindelwald friendship and how Harry struggled with learning about his life. It was also too bad that a lot of the characters got very little screen time, but it makes sense. Very much looking forward to the last movie, but there's a LOT that needs to be shown to wrap everything up!

Flamethrower
11-30-2010, 10:20 PM
I'd say Rupert Grint is the best of the main three, but Daniel Radcliffe is so wooden a lot of the time. He's gotten gradually better though, just like Emma Watson.

I watched the first film the other night and omg they were all so cute and ickle!

GradPhase
11-30-2010, 10:24 PM
I watched the first film the other night and omg they were all so cute and ickle!

Tee hee hee bawwwwwwwww

vdander24
11-30-2010, 10:48 PM
I thought the dance scene was okay, but it didn't reall seem like something Harry would initiate, no matter how much he gets on with Hermione (from the book perspective.) From the movie perspective, it makes sense, coming of the HBP.
That being said, I know in the book, they talked about Peter pettigrew and something like a life debt, and it gets paid off in Deathly hallows. I am not sure about the movie version.

Tikanique - I think in book seven, the timeframes are all kind of going on concurrently. I got the impression that it was kind of happening simultaneously, and it was a race against the clock. I also think that she disarmed Narcissa, but I will need to go and see it again to make sure!!! LOL

Eskinomad - All I have to say, is that all will be revealed when you read the books. It is a slower developing relationship, but it is definitely there.

I really did think this was the best of the movies and not just because it is the latest. It has just taken me this long to not be upset about how different the movies are from the books.
I really like the casting. I love the weasleys... I just think the script writers gave them lines from the books, with no setup, so they just talk out of nowhere. Other than that, I think they make a great family.

tikanique
12-01-2010, 10:03 AM
I just realized that they also did show the changing relationship between Harry and Kreacher. Not that it's major, but I just kind of had a mental picture of him in the next movie running around with the RAB locket. LOL!!! That really tickled me when I read it.

I'm not all that fond of how they portray Molly Weasley either. She's too nice in the movies; in the books she's not afraid to let her kids / husband / Sirius have it. I'm wondering how that will play out in the battle of Hogwarts.

Oh, and did anybody else think that Lucius looked the part? Fresh out of Azkaban and shamed in his own home? I love how he plays his character.

cincimini
12-01-2010, 10:21 AM
Whenever I see the latest movie, I'm struck by how little I remember from the books. I swear, I can't remember anything!! :lol:
I thought this movie was better than many of the others, probably because they had more time to show a few of the "emotional" scenes. The last 2 films, I felt they just raced from one action scene to action scene with an odd, misplaced seeming "character development" segment strewn in here or there. In terms of acting it's nothing to write home about, but then again - it's never been about that for me.

That being said, even when I read the books I kept saying how they should have an "adult" version of the books and/or films :lol:. I realize it's a kid's book but still - I had a lot of questions regarding wizard.... love :D. Btw, I had an even bigger problem with the Twilight books. There was some serious potential for "rated R" material in there and I think the way Stefanie Meyer describes the vampires leaves a LOT of questions unanswered :lol:.

tikanique
12-01-2010, 11:08 AM
I have never read a Twilight book nor seen a movie. I saw Vampire Circus when I was 7. Scared the beejeesus out me then and vampires still creep me out to this day. Werewolfs, witches/wizards, mummies I can handle but walking dead blood suckers!?!? no way!! LOL!!!

ADelish
12-01-2010, 03:09 PM
I thought the dance scene was ok. But what I really liked was the animation of the Hallows and how they came to be. It was completely unexpected, but I really like how it came out!

Tikanique I'm hoping they don't forget about Molly's line "Not my daughter, you b*tch!" during the big battle sequence at the end of the next movie!! ;)

tikanique
12-01-2010, 10:50 PM
Yeah the graphics for the Hallows story were SWEET!!! One of the best parts of the movie and that's SAYING something cause overall the movie was really good.

Nuther question, did they cast a new person as Fenrir Grayback? I didn't notice the old one with the Snatchers so am wondering did they just not include him there or did they cast another person.

just keep swimming
12-01-2010, 10:55 PM
I liked the animation, too. I was wondering how they were going to do that, because they kind of had to have her read the story, but that's boring to watch. :lol:

I thought they did include Grayback, but I couldn't tell you if it was a different actor.

Are any of you fans of the audiobooks as well? I love the ones read by Jim Dale.

vdander24
12-01-2010, 11:10 PM
Tikanique - Agree with both Molly and Lucius. Molly is a little too bubbly.

Also, I am kinda a vampire book junkie (SHHH, don't tell :-)

But, that being said, in my opinion, her best book was THE HOST (I loved twilight, but I gotta be honest) If you are okay with alien invasion, then I would definitely recommend it.

As far as an adult version, When I was reading HP, I bought generic book covers so the "adults" around me didn't find out! LOL
I have since found so many who have read it that it doesn't matter any more.

tikanique
12-02-2010, 11:03 AM
Really Vander? That never crossed my mind! LOL! The first four I read didn't have covers. The Boy's dad bought them for him and by the time I started reading them he'd already lost the covers. The last three I purchased and took the covers off so they wouldn't get messed up but people knew it was a HP book anyway cause everybody was reading them.

The last alien invasion book I read was the Tommyknockers by Stephen King, which was ironically the last book I read by him. He is OUT THERE TERRIFYING!!!!

I've never listened to the audiobooks and I was kind of bummed that she didn't release them electronically for the Nook or Kindle. Then someone sent me PDFs of them (that had to be a TON of scanning!) so now I can carry around the entire collection in my purse.

Okay now I'm losing it. How did the Snatchers run into Harry, Hermione and Ron ? I thought they left the Voldmort name is jinxed piece out the movie and that's how the Snatchers caught them in the book. I need to go see this one again!!!

lizziep
12-02-2010, 03:26 PM
i try to hold the books and movies in my mind as separate entities. i enjoy the movies because they are fun, but i do not really think of them in any way linked with the books. does that make sense? i know they are based off them but i swear if i gave it any thought i'd be so angry and annoyed that i wouldn't enjoy them. at all.

so books and movies are separate in my mind.

that said- i thought the dance scene was very sweet, but out of place. i felt like it was more a Daniel and Emma thing than a Harry and Hermione. Like it was sort of a good bye and ode to friendship, but for the cast not the characters. i agree Harry would never have initiated something like that in the books. But the Harry in the books also never cried at anything just took all the bad things with stoic stride. if anything, that is something that has annoyed me about the movies especially given that daniel radcliffes range of acting, though it has improved, was not so great in the beginning.
i am really ready for this movie saga to be over for good or ill, i am ready for it to wrap up and hopefully be satisfied.

lizziep
12-02-2010, 03:27 PM
i will also be very disappointed if they do not include Molly's line in the battle in the final movie. :) it was so satisfying in the book.

just keep swimming
12-03-2010, 12:27 AM
tikanique, I can't remember if they did the whole taboo thing in the movie either, since that's how they tracked them to that cafe too... Will have to rewatch keeping an eye out for these things!

tikanique
12-03-2010, 02:44 AM
So i went back and watched it again. they disarmed Bella as soon as they come up the steps and also had the camera focus on a piece of her hair land on Hermione so that fits with Hermione being Bella in diagon alley.

fenrir is the same guy from the last one, they just made him redder. go figure.

I was looking for the name jinx too. Harry said Voldemort in the cafe so the deatheaters showed up. Xenophilius said Voldemort in the kitchen and they showed up again. however they just happened to apparate in front of a gang of snatchers and Ron never told them Voldemort's name was jinxed. I wonder if they filmed him telling then let it on the cutting room floor.

vdander24
12-03-2010, 03:37 AM
Oh, By Generic book covers, I meant the solid blue or pink fabric ones. BUT I was a little embarassed at first, and I am a geek. I felt like I should be reading more classical stuff, but have since gotten over that. I am very okay with being a geek, and thought it was funny that my employees bought me a Harry Potter Wand Pen for my birthday, and Half my team came with me to the last show at midnight!

Back to HP. I think the transition to the movie is that the first time that Hermione was in the woods and the snatchers happened upon her, they couldn't see her but one could smell her. She mentioned that she shouldn't have worn perfume. The jinx isn't explained, but once they get in the area, it looked like he smelled her again.

Okay, Stephen King - I only read one too. Duma Key. It was....interesting.(Interesting as in messed up, but had to see where it went). A good friend of mine who has read all his work, said his stuff runs the gamet; from excellent, to out there, to just plain confused. I am not sure if I would pick up another one.

OH! and I absolutely LOVE the audio by Jim Dale! He is incredible. My favorite audio series out there!

tikanique
12-03-2010, 09:00 AM
I read about 5 of King's books. That man is an excellent writer but I don't need to read anything that has me afraid of the dark at age 40 something or nuther. LOL!!!!

When I was at the movie last night and they were in Malfoy Manor, I half way expected Bella to say OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!!! She is truly hilarious.