Old 11-29-2010, 04:33 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 265/175/140

Height: 5'10"

Default Get out of the overweight BMI category and avoiding flabby skin?

So I've been on this mission to lose weight since May. I've lost roughly 70 lbs since then and kept it off. I am hoping to lose another 60 lbs give or take a pound. I just want out of the overweight BMI category...I managed to get myself out of the obese category and that felt awesome.
I'm losing so much weight though that I worry about getting flabby skin. So far it's not that bad but I want to nip it in the bud. I got a shake weight thing and frankly think that is a waste of my time and money. I don't even notice a difference. I am thinking of getting regular weights but I am not sure that is the answer. I am drinking enough water to save the world (1 1/2-2 liters a day).
Does anyone have any suggestions to fend off the flabby skin that comes with drastic weight loss? (And I'll take suggestions to get rid of the stretch marks that came with the drastic weight gain.)
txladymedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:13 AM   #2  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

From what I've heard, the best way to avoid loose skin is not to build lots of muscle and that the muscle can plump up some of the skin but that really, there's not much that can be done.....that there will just be loose skin. It used to real bother me because I do have an apron thing of loose skin on my stomach that I got after my second pregnancy with a 9lb. baby but now, I just accept it. I also accept that my arms are a bit flabbier than I'd like. Someone here once said it's better to be thin with loose skin than having fat to fill it up. Doing weights is really great. You can also do other resistance exercises like squats, lunges, push ups, planks, and crunches. Even if it doesn't help with the skin, it will definitely boost your metabolism and calorie burn while at rest. Congrats on all of your weight loss! You have so much to be proud of!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:18 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 255/ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

I've lost 100 pounds and have 19 to go and have very minimal loose skin. And the loose skin looks a heck of a lot better than the fat did. Youth helps with skin elasticity, and 30s still counts as young in that department
rachael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 02:37 PM   #4  
Veteren Newbie

S/C/G: 230/230/150

Height: 67"

What happens when you lose weight around your waist and hips, but you can't seem to get rid of the flab of skin that seems to lay over your hips where the fat rolls used to be? I'm having this issue now. I've lost fat inches off my waist and hips, but there is disgusting skin flaps that now just lay there on my hips. What can I do?
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:14 PM   #5  
little by little

S/C/G: 220/215/150

Height: Five foot two

I have looser skin just from losing 10 pounds. I'm so afraid at this point to try to lose more. So we will have to discover together what will work. However-- this time around I will be adding more cardio and resistance training than I did last time. We will see how that works out.
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:56 PM   #6  
Less than 15 now!!

S/C/G: 220/*ticker*/145

Height: 5' 4"

A weight training program with low weight and high reps will help to prevent loose skin in a big way. The more muscle you have, the more calories you will burn. Don't be afraid of the weights! Use enough weight that you can do about 15 reps. This will make a long, lean muscle and help your metabolism and overall appearance.
mortonpixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:03 PM   #7  
Food Can Eat Me =p

S/C/G: 345/see ticker/150

Height: 5' 6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachael View Post
Youth helps with skin elasticity, and 30s still counts as young in that department
I really hope so. I'm 31 and worried about what it will be like in the end.
Ive Had Enough is offline   Reply With Quote