Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 11-26-2010, 08:46 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 142/139/118

Height: 5' 2"

Default depression sucks

I am struggling with my depression -- it makes everything harder. I can't bring myself to weigh myself. I just feel it will make me more depressed. I don't think I have lost weight, and hope that I haven't gained. This is such a struggle. Sigh.
hirakukibou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 04:02 AM   #2  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Why might you have not lost? Why might you have gained? What eating plan are you following?

I ask because for me, one of the biggest indicators that my depression is getting worse but also one of the biggest causes of my depression is lack of organization and planning: not just in my Diet but in my housework, in my job, in everything.

For me, I can look at the pile of ironing or the stack of filing on my desk or the wickedly winking scales and turn away from them: and the split second of relief turns into a dark grey blanket that smothers me for the rest of the day.
or
I can commit to an hour of ironing, an hour of filing, and getting on the scales, hating every single second of doing them - but the blanket is a lighter shade of grey, and sometimes not there at all.

If you get on the scales and don't like what you see, note the weight, reflect on what you did the past week, and make a plan for the week ahead. It will feel brain-deadening to do but it may help lift things a little; and it will help take your weightloss forward.

Bear in mind that in only 3lbs time you are going to be at the top end of normal BMI, so the weight won't come off in 10lb lumps.
Realism + planning = a lighter grey blanket.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 04:42 AM   #3  
Naturally Curvy

S/C/G: 264/259.9/164

Height: 5'6"

*HUGS* Speaking of someone who let the depression stop me from weighing in for a long time, every day you don't weigh in, the easier it gets to keep not weighing in.

This just helped me personally because of my personality type, but something that helped me was to prepare a weight loss spreadsheet. In it I put the official weigh in dates (I weigh in daily but record Mondays), all my goals, a function to track my weight loss, and all the Monday dates until about this time next year (the earliest I can lose all my weight at a healthy pace). Being that prepared and thinking that much about the long term helped me to face the 'starting point' of that tough first day weight in.
JMSilver is offline   Reply With Quote