Pudgy Pets - Just bought a new hamster!

View Full Version : Just bought a new hamster!

TheBunneh
11-26-2010, 05:53 PM
I just bought a hamster today and I'm pretty excited about it. :carrot: I think rodents are some of the most adorable animals.

I don't think this little hamster was handled much at the store and he is pretty scared when I put my hand near him (and bit me a few times, which is expected).

I know I'm just going to have to keep spending time getting him used to my hands. But I was wondering if anyone here has some advice on how to adjust a new hamster to people. I'm pretty sure he's a baby, but not 100% certain.

I was able to hold him for a couple minutes earlier without him seeming too upset, but he really really wanted to jump back in his cage.

pointspluspioneer
11-26-2010, 05:55 PM
See if he will bite a carrot from you, then once he starts trusting you he will be much nicer and friendlier. Probably just scared from being in a new place now. I had 2 and they both were friendly.

TheBunneh
11-26-2010, 06:07 PM
Thanks, I will try that.

He was wanting to bite at the store too, but so were the other hamsters there. The worker that helped us said that hamsters are naturally a bit aggressive at first until they are handled regularly. I don't mind getting bit a few times, but I do want to be able to hold him at some point without feeling like I'm scaring him to death.

pointspluspioneer
11-26-2010, 06:55 PM
Yup, they are right, the more you handle them the nicer they will be :)