General chatter - What do YOU want for Christmas?

View Full Version : What do YOU want for Christmas?

mkendrick
11-25-2010, 06:09 PM
My fiance keeps bugging me about what I want for Christmas. I really have no idea. For one, I don't like to say specific things because I don't like to sound greedy, but I also don't have a clue what I want. We're getting married on December 11th, and I'm sure we're getting a ton of registry gifts plus gift cards and such. Normally I'd ask for kitchen/cooking gadgets, but we're going to have more of those than we're going to know what to do with pretty soon. Not to mention, we're moving to a new state at the end of December, so I feel like every object is just one more thing to move. Between all the gifts we're already getting and the fact that I don't feel like I need anything, I have no idea what to tell him. I want to tell him something though, because I know how it feels to have no idea what to get somebody. He's hinted at lots of things he'd be happy with, and I'm so grateful that he has. But I've left him completely clueless.

ETA: The only thing I can think of is clothes, but he knows I'd need to choose/try on things for myself, so I'm sure I'll get a gift card for clothes. But he says gift cards aren't personal enough and he wants to get me an actual present, hehe.

So I need ideas, ladies...What do YOU want for Christmas???

Teresa66
11-25-2010, 07:46 PM
I'd like an engagement ring, but I don't think he is planning it this Christmas. Other than that I would like some new pots and pans, a really good chef's knife, and of course anything blingy. He is a wonderful poet, so a poem would be really great, but since he has been so busy with other things I think that like the engagement ring will have to wait.

I'm more worried about what I'm going to get him.

Pudgebrownie
11-25-2010, 08:01 PM
I'm more concerned about what I'm going to get my hubby too.

But this Christmas we're keeping things simple. My entire wish list amounts to about $270 and that's it :] On that list I have a couple stocking stuffer ideas that I'd like and a few gifts that can be wrapped and placed under the tree. Most of what I'm wishing for are some cute apparel from ModCloth and a Jimmy Choo bag.

annieoh
11-25-2010, 08:02 PM
I'd like to weigh less than 300 #, and an iPad. :D

Windchime
11-25-2010, 08:20 PM
If you want clothes, how about doing some online shopping. Find things you like to put on your wishlist, and then he can suprise you with one (or more!) of those items. Sometimes you can do this at a local store, too. That way you are surprised, and he gets you something that he knows you will like.

pammi2003
11-25-2010, 09:35 PM
I want clothes!
I also want a new HRM and a Schwinn Beach Cruiser.
But I'll settle for clothes :)

krampus
11-25-2010, 09:50 PM
I asked Santa to put money in my high-interest online savings account so I'll have a little something to live on when I move back to America in August.

As for my boyfriend, he's a terrible gift giver and this causes problems every year. I don't need anything. Maybe just some Christmas cake and a nice date.

Sunshine73
11-25-2010, 10:31 PM
My hubs is actually pretty good at finding me gifts that I'll like but then again I'm very easy to please and don't usually want much. However, this year my wish list is a bit pricey. Ooops.

I'm hoping for one or more of the following:

A Nook (the color one would be very nice)
A B&N gift card to go with the Nook (because what good is a Nook without the books to download onto it?)
My favorite DKNY perfume (yummers)

Oh, and

World peace! ;) (But mostly the Nook)

coffeebean267
11-26-2010, 12:00 AM
clothes! and maybe some stuff from Sephora...

nelie
11-26-2010, 12:05 AM
Nothing except some quality time together. When we first started dating, I had to convince my husband (then boyfriend), that really I didn't need anything. So we don't exchange gifts at Christmas. I might buy him something small like a DVD he wants but I wouldn't give it to him on christmas or wrap it but I might tell him its his Christmas gift :)

And basically, I value friendship, love, time spent together and with loves ones more than any material item. So we are flying to see my family and I also don't expect to receive any gifts because I do tell people that being with them is a gift. I'd rather someone give money to charity than buy me a gift.

jess jp
11-26-2010, 10:55 PM
i picked out a necklace from etsy -it was around 50$. i bought it early so it would have time to be made and shipped.
http://www.etsy.com/transaction/37421007
i would also love some leather boots and makeup. i'm not planning to get clothes until i'm at goal weight...i'll just get some inexpensive things to wear as i go along, but makeup, jewelry and shoes i will be able to use at goal. :)
i would LOVE a nice fancy camera...a cannon, but i'd like to add more cash to our savings first.

MiZTaCCen
11-26-2010, 11:16 PM
This guy I want to make it official...which won't happen sooo CLOTHING, a pair of winter boots and a good pair of runners. :)

armywife347
11-26-2010, 11:47 PM
I would really like a treadmill..It isn't easy for me to get to the gym every night. I have a 2 and 3 yr. old and it would be easier for me to have access to a treadmill at home..

Serval87
11-27-2010, 10:02 AM
I'm getting some Retin-A ... XD But I would also like a nice rug for the kitchen floor, maybe a new blanket set for the bed, and some pots/pans/cooking utensils. I will probably just get the Retin-A and maybe some other small thing, because my birthday is in January (I'm getting bicycles for both of us! Yipee!)

Wow, Jess, that necklace is very unique and totally pretty!

JenMusic
11-27-2010, 11:15 AM
I really, really want a Kindle. BUT, I'm all kinds of practical and have a postage-sized wardrobe right now, so I'm asking for gift cards to stores so I can shop for myself. It will be really nice to have more than 4 shirts that I can wear to work. :)

ShesLosingIt
11-27-2010, 11:36 AM
My friends & family keep asking me this but I have no idea! There are so many things I want but a lot of them are expensive so I don't feel comfortable asking for them, ya know?

Things I *need* - new clothes, new walking and work shoes, money, and my divorce to be finalized.

Things I *want* - to lose 3 more lbs and be under 300 by Christmas, a good HRM, gift card to Lane Bryant, Sephora, Amazon, Trader Joe's, Avenue or Whole Foods, Frye boots, an iPad, a vacation and almost everything off Etsy or ThinkGeek.

RoseRodent
11-27-2010, 12:23 PM
I have been compiling my wishlist online for the last few months and keep it up to date, so when my husband asked I just sent it to him! It gives him enough ideas and if he's not brave enough to buy the underwear then he can get resistance bands, books, electronics, kitchen equipment, it's all there. He doesn't have to stick to the list or anything, but I think he will because he's got no idea where to start. Used to be easy - chocolate!

Suzanne 3FC
11-27-2010, 12:45 PM
I want a clean and tidy house.

Pint Sized Terror
11-27-2010, 01:35 PM
Money. :o

I hate asking for anything gift-wise, and that includes money. I had given my husband a list of some things I wanted that ranged from new slippers to a new camera, but that stuff isn't going to happen. If it does, I'm going to be mad because we don't need to be spending money on me or him.

I guess if I could as for and get anything, it would be juuuust enough money for the essentials of starting over.

mom4life
11-27-2010, 11:14 PM
I've been brainstorming about this but all I hear in my head is elevator music. LOL

I have no clue. One thing that comes to mind is dance sneakers for my Zumba class but then I think "Well, what if I stop going for same reason or the girl teaching it stops doing it, then what will I do with the shoes?" Dh just said "well I'll get you a membership to go to the zumba classes at the gym."
I would love clothes but I'd rather not get any till I hit my goal weight, so maybe I"ll ask for a GC or money. :)

shcirerf
11-27-2010, 11:22 PM
I want to win the powerball! ROFLMAO, like that's gonna happen.

For reals, for myself, I want a membership to the gym.

For everyone else, I want success, and a happy new year.

I'm going to gift all of you will power, success, happiness, good wishes on new journeys in your lives, confidence, self esteem and all that other good stuff! :D:carrot:

Lauren201
11-28-2010, 12:29 AM
I could really use some running shoes... LOL

spixiet
11-28-2010, 12:35 AM
Whenever I don't want "stuff" (because I'm moving, or whatever), I look for things I want to do or places I want to go. I ask for things like a trip away for a weekend somewhere I want to go, plane tickets, a white-water rafting trip, guitar lessons, hot-air ballooning trip, etc.

Lauren - I want running shoes this year too :D

Shopaholic1204
11-28-2010, 10:51 AM
I want a baby & a house. But I don't think I'll get pregnant in the next couple of weeks. And we're stuck here until July..so there goes the house. I think I'll just settle on gift cards to my fave stores.

katy trail
11-28-2010, 11:12 AM
How about tickets for a date? something non food related if possible. Or make your own experience. Like go ice skating, have a picnic inside by a fireplace(can make healthier choices since it's your own food), dancing, go see a play. Just something you both enjoy. Maybe even something you enjoyed when you were dating, renew some memories. :)

We both want a house. Before we decided to move, i wanted exercise equipment and dvds. Now i'm looking at spin bikes, or upright bikes. something to replace my broken resistance recumbent bike. seems like a pain to move. But the bike will probably be for later. Not getting the dvds anytime soon either. We're throwing everything at the down payment, so getting good stuff for the kids will be challenging. and if we close on dec. 17 as scheduled, it's going to be difficult to move in and get the tree up.

FrouFrou
11-28-2010, 02:42 PM
I want the homeless to have a home, for no one to go hungry, for a cure for cancer, for the troops to come home, and many other things such as this.

ICUwishing
11-28-2010, 09:33 PM
Here's an idea we used when we were newlyweds and really poor (but this would work just fine in a situation where more "stuff" isn't too appealing). Put together some homemade coupon books for each other - that contain tear-out coupons for the tasks that you know the other one hates, and/or for the little treats that the other one absolutely loves, like a backrub, or ... well, you get the drift. ;)

Call me a treehuggin', dirt-worshippin' anti-consumer, but this year for Christmas I've asked my family members to make donations in my name to either the Nature Conservancy, Forgotten Harvest, or the Salvation Army. This year, I feel especially blessed - to have a job, a home, and ... enough. To get "more" this year just wouldn't feel right to me.

morphomel
11-29-2010, 02:44 PM
I'd like clothing that's warm (I'm currently stuck in short sleeved tshirts). Some new workout clothes that aren't falling off of me. And an iphone.

Wouldn't mind a bloody job! (Our unemployment rate is something like 14.1%)

Bac0s
11-29-2010, 02:58 PM
I'm getting a Nook!

Also, a new, fancy food scale (mine is 12+ years old).

Aunty Jam
11-29-2010, 05:47 PM
Liposuction? Can I ask for that? ;)

Ummm... clothes, books, slippers, pj's, gift certs will do.

I've also always wanted to buy or get something from World Vision. That's the organization that helps people become independant by buying them farm animals and stuff like that. I think that is a wonderful thing to do.

emaline29
11-29-2010, 07:04 PM
My sister has just had a hip replacement op and I would like a new back!! Just to be rid of all this continual pain.

Realistically, I would love someone to show me more about "How to" on my computer AND how to work my new, expensive MP3 player and mobile phone - it's all double dutch to me!!

Elladorine
11-29-2010, 07:30 PM
I was going to get an iPhone for Christmas but it looks like we won't be able to afford it just yet. Maybe for my birthday instead, which is in February. ;) We just got married about a month ago so we're still kinda stumbling from that financially, lol.

There are several other things I'd love to get, like a handful of movies and a Blu-ray player. I'm thinking I'd really like to have the 5-disc DVD set of Richard Simmon's Sweatin' to the Oldies; I haven't tried them since I was a kid but I remember that they were fun. :D

Flamethrower
11-29-2010, 08:13 PM
The major thing I was for christmas is a DSLR so I can do better photography and take better photos to use as reference for paintings, but they're so mega expensive x.x I feel bad asking my parents for that, but it's kinda for college work, so I guess I can beg? xD

alelogman
12-04-2010, 07:25 AM
Sometimes I find it very difficult to choose the right gifts but I try to give gifts which the recipient may hold dear or may be of use.

Martina
12-04-2010, 02:16 PM
I celebrate Yule.

I don't want anything, although my friend will probably be buying a car that he'll be letting me drive. Let me explain though-- he is my friend/ex-boyfriend/roommate/best friend. We're really close even though we don't date, and since he was driving my car when it died he sort of feels responsible. So he'll be buying a car anyway (we need a car, he drives a truck and sometimes this makes things complicated, for trips and such) and I need a car, so it works out.

Plus he'll be deploying again next year, so the extra transportation will work out.

Linsy
12-05-2010, 03:41 AM
I want an electric scale! I have one of the scales with the little lines and it's so hard to read. I asked my parents for one.

vdander24
12-05-2010, 04:15 AM
At first, I couldn't think of anything.. but now I have a few things
I would like some nice herbal teas...nothing that tastes like potpouri, but some nice blends.
I would like some nice pajamas... dont have to be sexy, just cute and comfy
I would like a giftcard to the Sony site, so I can buy my Ebooks for my E-reader.

saef
12-05-2010, 02:09 PM
I always say there's nothing I want, but then I get on eBay, and that changes fast.

Here are my musings on this subject. (I expect to get very few, if any, of these things.)

- A pedicure, a massage and a facial (which is something I always want)
- An antique fan, no longer than 8 3/4 inches when folded, for my empty fan-shaped shadow box
- A bed crown, or a busted antique demilune table so I can make one from it
- Large antique blue willow platter or two, to add to my collection
- This: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270593924880&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
(I haven't really got room for it in my dining room, but I'd make room ... somehow)
- A pair of prints to fit in the rosewood frames that I just bought
- A carpenter who'll give me a reasonable quote on built-in bookshelves for my dining room
- More closet space
- A bright orange cashmere sweater -- because I am suddenly in love with the color orange -- with something interesting about it, to differentiate from your basic run-of-the-mill jewel neck or v-neck cashmere sweaters that all the major stores offer at Christmas
- A mandolin, since I've estimated that over the course of my lifetime, I will spend approximately three months chopping or mincing onions
- A ticket to "Angels in America" before it closes in February
- No upper belly overhang at all, and no vestigial batwings
- A trip to France or Italy
- A year's supply of sugarfree peppermint chewing gum
- A reliable cleaning lady
- One horseback ride on a rental horse at the Eastchester riding stable
- Just one party formal enough for me to wear my nice little black dress, which I bought last year on making goal
- Six months of free therapy sessions
- An indoor pot of various herbs for my dining room window this winter
- A really big, showy amaryllis
- Peace of mind about my aging mother's health & psychological state

just keep swimming
12-05-2010, 02:49 PM
I want a clean and tidy house.

Me too!! Well, a clean and tidy apartment. My boyfriends says, "That's not a Christmas present!" But I think he just doesn't want to clean. :lol:

ArcticFrogs
12-05-2010, 07:24 PM
i picked out a necklace from etsy -it was around 50$. i bought it early so it would have time to be made and shipped.
(I can't even quote the link here, but it's a supersexy steampunk necklace)

That necklace is GORGEOUS...*want*. Might have to turn that into my birthday (and, if the stars align) half-way to goal present (so...maybe April) *grins*

As far as gifts this time of year, we go pick out something together. We're both gadget/tech nerds, with peculiar tastes for Chinese knock-offs, and usually order something that suits those desires. This year, our presents have already arrived...I haven't posted enough to provide a link, but they are basically tablets running Android 2.2...think cheap Samsung Galaxy.

Anyway, doing it this way, we weigh the pros and cons and get something that we both want and enjoy. Takes the guesswork out, and ensures that we stay within a decent spending limit.

CanadianCutie
12-07-2010, 06:49 PM
what I want for Christmas is books, books and more books. I can't get enough of books, and even though I have an ereader I still love the feel of a paperback in my hands. I want the complete works of John Green, I'm midway through Looking for Alaska, and I follow his vlog, but I want to read the rest of his stuff. I would also love more yarn. Seems like an odd request, but I love to crochet and I want to make more things.

mhuppert
12-07-2010, 10:15 PM
I want all new make up and make up brushes! <-----kind of odd, but that's something I never buy myself, and my stuff is kind of old :(.....also, new slippers, and definitely clothes!

But MOST of all I want the MRI that my 8 Mo. old son is having done on Dec. 20th to go well......If I get NOTHING except this to turn out good, I would be the happiest girl in the world.... Praying that it all goes good.

lauralyn
12-08-2010, 06:22 AM
I know this will not help you but I want our bills caught up (we are almost there!) and I want to spend a romantic night with my husband. He has pretty much been away since September coming home only for a week or so at a time and is gone right now. We own a couple of places in Buffalo and he is there working on them to get them fixed to rent and will not be home until Dec 20th. When he has been home from there or working at his brothers new house installing floors he has been trying to catch up on things that need to get done here that I can't do. Soooo, just a little one on one time with my husband would be nice.

mkendrick
12-08-2010, 10:44 AM
Thanks for all your suggestions, you guys!!! I'm not sure if I gave him a great idea of what I want, but we keep getting packages at the door and he shoos me into the back room so he can wrap them, haha. He's a great gift giver, he knows what I want better than I do, I think...so I trust him. I got him lots of nice things too, I'm excited for him to open his presents.

I have the Christmas bug bad this year! I've been such a Grinch/Scrooge the last few years. I've been at boarding school and now college completely across the country from my family since I was 14 (I'm 22 now), and I've only made it home for Christmas once in that time. Last Christmas my guy was in Iraq, so that was a bummer. But this Christmas I've been way into the whole thing. I've been making Christmas candy (and immediately giving it away, I've managed to only eat one white chocolate and peppermint covered pretzel), we've been playing Christmas music, and even though we're in the process of moving, I've decorated our little itty bitty apartment, haha.

shelle58704
12-08-2010, 03:16 PM
Money so I am able to buy presents for my kids.

My husband home from this business trip. It was supposed to be 30 days, but it may turn into 60.

And a Kindle! :)

tytbody
12-08-2010, 05:27 PM
My gift can't be bought. It's a new mind to eat the right food and understand why I do it. There is nothing materialistic I want that I can't get so, therefore, I have to exercise and make it a habit. That's what I want and it can't be bought. :(

NiteOwlMommy
12-09-2010, 04:14 AM
I was all over the place this year I really wanted a designer purse but then I thought will i really use it? and decided no i won't so I asked for a Kinect for the xbox and my husband actually bought me my own xbox and kinect with a dancing game that is super fun and makes you break a sweat!

sunny2017
12-12-2010, 12:55 AM
I want a boyfriend for Christmas....and money to go to school. Other than that I'm good!

shcirerf
12-12-2010, 01:02 AM
I posted once before, but have a new one. I want for my husbands upcoming, in January, heart surgery to be a success.

deetermined2
12-12-2010, 01:48 AM
Pampering! I finally used a gift certificate that I had been given for a facial and really enjoyed it. My first ever.

Harsdottir
12-12-2010, 01:56 PM
I would really like a treadmill..It isn't easy for me to get to the gym every night. I have a 2 and 3 yr. old and it would be easier for me to have access to a treadmill at home..

Im with you Ms. Army Wife. ;);)

I feel like the gym takes so much time away from my life.

I would love to have a treadmill or elliptical machine at home.

I would also like:
more calorie count books
new clothes (I agree with everyone here!!!)
A gowfit monitor
Another Celtic harp (A Triplett cherry Eclipse). I have a Thormahlen Serenade
Some Savings
A better job.

I know I am asking for too much!!!