General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 11-24-2010, 12:37 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 174→168.0→135

Height: 4'9''

Question No-poo?

I was just wondering if anyone in here practices no-poo/lo-poo/other? No, it doesn't mean no going to the bathroom it means no-shampoo/low-shampoo. Basically, you switch out your shampoo for conditioner. I started this even before my weight loss journey began, when I had waist length hair. It sounded crazy, but I was fed up with my frizzy, tangly hair and no product seemed to be working. The first two weeks with just conditioner was terrible. My hair was so greasy and matted to my head, I felt so dirty, I had to scrub hard to get the gunk (from products) off my scalp. But after that, things went great. My hair was bouncy, full, conditioned, way less frizzy than it had ever been, etc.

I loved COing (conditioner only-washing), and I still do, but I've gradually started using shampoo again, usually once a week since I only wash my hair twice a week (I DO shower, but don't wash my hair that frequently because it's curly and doesn't get greasy fast.)

I realize this might be a little taboo for some of you, but I figured since 3FC in itself would be sort of unusual to a lot of people OFF this website, maybe the people on here would be more understanding/interested.

Some people that do it also don't use hair products like gel or hairspray, some only use certain natural brands, others use whatever they feel like. If I need anti-frizz stuff, I just scrunch some conditioner into my dry hair. Rarely I'll use hairspray, but that's about it really. I don't blow dry my hair, either, but once in a great while I'll flat iron it or curl it, or put a roller set in, etc.

If you're into it, what's your routine? Do you like using oils? Do you have a favorite conditioner? Do you use cone-free (silicone-free) conditioners, or coney (siliconey) conditioners? How about vinegar or honey, do you use them? Do you go all out and rinse with rose water?

I use a vinegar rinse once a month, and make up a batch of honey-conditioner maybe twice a month, three times if it's really dry out. I'm still searching for a perfect conditioner- I had one, but ran out of it, and stupidly tossed the bottle out. Now I don't have the name anymore. Oh well.

Sorry if this seems sort of braggy or strange, but my hair is very important to me, almost as important as losing weight and being healthy. So I figured I'd share and see if there were any others here.

Last edited by yhahmd; 11-24-2010 at 12:40 PM.
yhahmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 12:44 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 220/194/150

Height: 5'7

I have naturally curly hair and read about lo/no pooing on naturally curly dot com, but haven't been brave enough to try it. However it did take me awhile to realize it's ok to not wash hair daily. My hair is short and hopefully getting shorter today ( plan on finally getting the pixie I've been dreamin' about for years!). I also read there's a recipe for a leave in conditioner w/ water and aloe vera oil...where did you find all your recipes for home made hair care stuff?

I also don't think you're bragging, nor do I think you're superficial. When we look at someone one of the first things we see is hair. If we describe someone to someone else, usually the first thhing described is hair ( color, length, texture)...
Optical Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 12:47 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

It is awesome. I was noticing a lot of build up in my hair, so I did it for a couple weeks. I get lazy sometimes and don't do it.

I also don't use ACV or use very little of it if I do. I personally prefer using tea as a rinse.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 12:51 PM   #4  

First I gotta say- @Optical Goddess I LOVE YOUR CURLS! My hair seems to go through stages of length and curl. When it was really long once, it was super curly, now it's about an inch from my shoulders and the curls are so-so. But yours are absolutely beautiful!

And I think a pixie cut would look great on you! How are you getting it done, spikey in the back, or one of those stacked pixie cuts? Is the front going to be like an A-line bob?

The leave in conditioner you're talking about might be the one where it's aloe vera, honey and conditioner, and sometimes EVOO if you want. You can put it in and leave it in for however long you want- but watch honey can lighten your hair, so be careful with how much honey you put in. I've actually lightened my hair before with it, but it took a while.

I find all my recipes on here, mostly: naturallycurly, naturemoms, ladybeautiful and longhaircommunity (this site has great ideas for updos, styles, natural washing methods, etc.)

Last edited by yhahmd; 11-24-2010 at 12:52 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:52 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
It is awesome. I was noticing a lot of build up in my hair, so I did it for a couple weeks. I get lazy sometimes and don't do it.

I also don't use ACV or use very little of it if I do. I personally prefer using tea as a rinse.
What kind of tea do you use? That's one thing I haven't tried yet, actually.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:57 PM   #6  
Just Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by yhahmd View Post
What kind of tea do you use? That's one thing I haven't tried yet, actually.
Just whatever black tea we have. Which usually means PG tips but lipton or any brand should work.

I also don't use any hair products.

The funny thing is I lost any curl/wave in my hair a few years ago so I have straight hair now (go figure, 30 years with curly/wavy hair then bam no more). I notice that I start to get the start of some curls on the ends if I no-poo for a while.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:21 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 220/194/150

Height: 5'7

My hair is shorter now than it is in the pic. It's short in the back, to my collar, a lil above..it's longer in the front. I have some pics of pixies I'm bringin' in to show my stylist. She's very honest and if she thinks it won't work I'll go w/ what she says. I know what I want it to look like but am not sure how to describe it...
Optical Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:27 PM   #8  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I learned about this method here and have been using it since last January. I condition while scrubbing/massaging my scalp with my finger tips (not nails). It works just fine.

I did not notice any difference until I shampooed it once. Then it was dry and brittle, like it used to be. I think transformation into frizz free hair was so gradual I didn't notice it.

My hair dresser does not think it's a good idea and said I have a lot of dandruff. I do, but I remove it every time I wash with a good scrub. You can't see the dandruff and it doesn't fall off onto my shoulders. I don't know. I don't think my dandruff is any worse than it ever is.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 03:49 PM   #9  
westernsoutherngirl

S/C/G: 170/164/145

Height: 5'6'

I just started using the Devacurl/Devacare system which has no poo and loo poo options. I have been fighting my curls my whole life and just decided to stop it!!!! I love how my curls look using these products (altho I much prefer the fragrance of the Devacare side of the line). BUT I do feel like I need to wash with shampoo about once a week so then I use a sulfate-free shampoo - need that good cleaning once a week to make my scalp feel better. Told myself I would give it 3 weeks going curly and then re-evaluate. I just finished week 2 and so far so good!
westernsoutherngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 03:57 PM   #10  
Just Me

westernsoutherngirl - have you tried baking soda? That is how I no poo and definitely gets my hair/scalp clean.

So I didn't know there were commercial no-poo products.

What I do is this -
Mix 1 tbsp or so of baking soda in a little water. Enough to make it pasty. Wet hair, rub it in good, massage scalp, then comb with comb. I let it sit while I'm doing other shower activities.

I then rinse it out, scrubbing scalp as I do so. Then I take the tea I made (and cooled), dilute it with a couple cups of water and slowly pour it on my head. I massage my hair a bit. Let it sit for a few moments as I'm finishing up my shower. Then I rinse the tea out and get out of the shower.

Then that is it.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:05 PM   #11  
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

I occasionally give my hair a conditioner-only wash. My hair is wavy, waist-length, and color-treated (I think of it not as a dye job, but as doing for my hair what high-def does for television ), so it doesn't tolerate overly zealous scrubbing on a regular basis. CO washing gives my hair a lot of shine and makes it feel really silky, yet still completely clean. I'm a huge fan of it.

I used to do it more often, but found that over time, conditioners seemed to build up and leave my hair looking a little lank, as it's pretty fine-textured; this happened whether I was using 'cones or no 'cones. Now I use shampoo about 70% of the time and CO the other 30%.
Nola Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:06 PM   #12  
westernsoutherngirl

So Nelie - do you do the baking soda thing followed by the tea rinse every day?

I can see that a baking soda scrub would freshen things up nicely. Might try that.

And would definitely be cheaper - the Deva people are very proud of their products price wise!
Old 11-24-2010, 09:06 PM   #13  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Interesting. I have super straight, dry dyed hair so I'm pretty sure I would look like I had greasy bangs constantly if I no-pooed. I may try it in the coming weeks though.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:14 PM   #14  
Featherweight

S/C/G: 135/130/125

Height: 5'3.5"

I did try the no poo method for a while but with long straight hair I found it to be greasy. I hate greasy hair

I also have Nola Celeste's " (I think of it not as a dye job, but as doing for my hair what high-def does for television )" look in highlights so am careful. lol

I may give the baking soda scrub a try though
AR4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:18 PM   #15  
westernsoutherngirl

Oh yeah, and that is a question is it okay for "color treated" hair! Like others have said I have those enhancements - color and highlights because I don't ever ever want to know how much grey is really up there!