Old 11-24-2010, 10:30 AM   #1  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Default staying on plan

I have sometimes had difficulty staying on plan in difficult work situations, (I sometimes work long hours in a hospital, but don't always know that will happen, so I haven't packed and planned meals etc) and with meetings or social situations.
I feel I am doing sooo much better with this these days. I am really happy about it too. I feel a lot better not going off plan.
Its small things, like asking meeting organizers to make sure I have appropriate food, (not always perfect, but better choices any how, and gives me an opportunity to educate others about atkins), having non-perishable snacks in the car so that there is something all the time, and bringing stuff to social events that are appropriate for me, or eating before hand, so I am not hungry at the event, and don't "need" to eat something. I have more will power, not just because I am not hungry, but because I know how crummy I will feel with cheating.
I want those who are struggling with staying on atkins plan to know that yes it may be difficult at times, but it gets easier, you get better at it, and you will see and feel the difference over time.
Hurray!
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 09:29 AM   #2  
Less Juicey

S/C/G: 246/135

Height: 5'5"

Your post is exactly what I need today, Fatmad. I so much appreciate the support and encouragement from all of the beautiful women who post on this board. I'm thankful for you; without you, it would be too easy to slip into old habits, old ways of thinking, and, consequently, old ways of eating. Thank you.
sandyfanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:26 PM   #3  
Just starting again

S/C/G: 276/256/180 ish?

Height: 5'7

I feel the same way, I can do good for a few weeks then I get off task for months the last time I was on this forum was in october. I feel bad and un motivated I continue to get the e-mails from the christmas challenge but ive gotten so far behind now. I have to get back on track. How do you get motivated?
DandyDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 06:37 PM   #4  
Less Juicey

S/C/G: 246/135

Height: 5'5"

Dandydiva, if you wait for magic motivation to descend on you, nothing good happens with your weight. Just do it...really, just eat on plan and keep doing it. Like one foot in front of the other, whether you're motivated or happy or not happy...just keep doing it. If I think about it too much, I can't stand it. I just do it every day, the best I can do... Eat on plan, drink the nasty water, take a walk or something, and post with us often. It'll be okay.
sandyfanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:59 PM   #5  
Madeleine

I am not very motivated. I have been struggling with the blues and am often tired when I get home from work. Like Sandy said, you just do it. Even when you want to eat junk, you don't, you stay on plan. When you want to sit all night, you don't, you get off the couch, at least for a while.
You want not pack lunch, forget it! you have to to stay on plan, or eat that really crummy choice at the diner on the corner.
At some point, the denial stops, the bargaining stops, and acceptance comes on, that you are just doing it, and not stopping. Its almost a relief.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:46 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Motivation!!! For years motivation to diet and lose weight was for vanity reasons. Now my motivation is my health. I've lost the weight before doing low carb... sometimes Atkins and sometimes just a general low carb. The beginning of this past summer, the doctor said I was diabetic. I got the Atkins book both Dr Atkins book and the new one. After reading both, I got on Induction and really did good and got my blood sugar, blood pressure and triglycerides down. Then I stopped. Don't know what my problem was except that I had things under control and I guess I thought I didn't have to diet any more. I tried some of the other diets the doctor had given me. As I read in the new Atkins book today, everybodies body is different and responds differently on diets even on Atkins. I've learned that my body likes the Atkins diet and that I have to do this to get my health back and then I have to keep doing it if I want to stay healthy. I don't really have a choice if I want to be healthy because I've learned that this is how I have to eat to get my body to function properly.

DandyDiva Whatever plan works for you do it for your health before you have a lot of problems. You may struggle, I think we all have times of struggle. I know I have. As for me, I think I need to read these books over and over so I can remember the good things I'm doing for my body. My doctor told me that I had added years to my life when I got my numbers down in the safe range. But I want to work at going down to normal not just safe numbers. I don't know if the weight will be slow coming off or not, but it doesn't matter. I will have managed to lose 26 lbs this year if I can keep it off into the new year. I wish I had done better, but I am thankful I lost and didn't gain. Do the best you can. There may be days you will 100% on plan and there maybe days you won't, but if you start each day aiming for 100% you will finally have more of them. Don't give up just because you eat more at one meal. Don't stop because of one slip. What has worked for me is to work at getting right back on track at the next meal or snack. You'll find it will make it easier because you will feel good about yourself.

I do more reading on this thread than writing and I can tell you that I have learned a lot from what everyone else shares that they do. I really appreciate the ladies on this thread.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 07:51 AM   #7  
Madeleine

Trish you are so right.
I had a planned cheat the other night. Usually when I have carbs I have a lot a cravings for days afterward, but this time I decided that after the dessert on Wednesday night, I would handle it by being super on plan after ward. I told my colleagues I would not take part in the potluck on Thursday, and brought my own. It was a long workday, (15 hours) but I had planned and brought meals and snacks, and stayed on plan, and with that, had no cravings at all, and am true to ticker again today.
So pleased. That is what I mean by its getting easier. It is also nice to know that I can go off plan a bit and not suffer for a week with weight issues or cravings, if I plan properly. This will help through the holidays.
Have a nice weekend friends.