Weight Loss Support - Anybody else throwing caution to the wind for Turkey Day?

mkendrick
11-24-2010, 07:08 AM
This is probably a pretty incriminating thread, but in a way, I feel like I'm being "accountable" (my favorite word) by posting it :o

I see all these threads and articles about how to stay on plan for Thanksgiving. And for those of you who are going be good, maaaajor props! Some of you might know from reading my posts that I like to set aside one day a month to have a no-calorie-counting-free-for-all day. Picking a day for November was a no-brainer, lol. So, that's right, I'm not going to count a single calorie, I'm not going to worry about appropriate portions or choosing the "safest" foods, I'm not going to worry about limiting myself. I'm going to eat what I want and how much of what I want. In fact, I want to feel properly stuffed. I want to feel like I just ate a Thanksgiving dinner, hehe. Not that I'm going to make a point to hoover absolutely everything in sight just because it's a free day, but I'm not going to be "the one on a diet" either.

And here's the accountability part of all this. I have been eating light all week, I WILL jump right back onto plan with a few more light-eating days and regular exercise immediately after. I already have it all logged onto my calorie counter. I'm not going to touch leftovers (I'm going to avoid bringing any home...my fiance can take what he wants, but it will be his).

We all parrot it over and over...this whole thing is a lifestyle change. We are trading things that made us happy (overeating, junk food, etc) for things that make us happier (health, improved appearance). But sometimes, the joy of eating delicious holiday foods with family is just plain worth it. In my NEW lifestyle, I eat healthy and exercise but I still enjoy the rare indulgences. I'm going to have a great time with family, eat all I want, my tummy will hurt, I'll remember why I love staying on plan, the scale will be up from the sodium and <ahem> digesting bulk in my system, I'll get right back on plan, and all will be well.

Anybody else having a freebie day for Thanksgiving? :carrot:

matt_H
11-24-2010, 08:01 AM
I just can't do that. Its great you have a plan of action to get back afterwards.

A couple of weeks ago I had a rough weekend and I'm just now getting back to being close to new weight loss territory again. I don't want to wait another month to see new weight loss if I went overboard.

I want to spend time with friends and reflect on what I'm thankful about, not eating to excess. One of most important things I'm thankful about is my improved health!

Nebuchadnezzar
11-24-2010, 08:03 AM
I'm not gonna count calories, but I am going to try to be careful. Gonna be hard! Working out every day this week to at least "maintain" what I have lost so far.

shannonmb
11-24-2010, 08:22 AM
You know, I would do it if I trusted myself enough to get RIGHT back on plan. I'm not saying I'm not going to spurge a little, because I am. But if I went whole-hog and went back to my old way of eating everything in sight the whole day, it would put me back to the beginning with uncomfortable cravings and "white knuckling" for at least a week or 2. I KNOW it would. So I'm going to pass on that this year. I've got some really good momentum going and I'm going to keep it up. But I am going to ENJOY every morsel I allow myself, that's for sure!

rockinrobin
11-24-2010, 08:24 AM
No freebies for me tomorrow. I'm going to keep it tight-ish for Turkey Day, though will probably go over my usual losing calorie allotment. I'm still working off a few excess pounds that I allowed to come on me and I'm not willing to tack on any additional pounds at this time.

Thanksgiving is by mom. She goes all out, but it will be fairly easy for me to avoid her fattening, calorie laden dishes. I will be bringing a few side dishes - roasted brussel sprouts with pecans, roasted asparagus, cucumber salad and red cabbage slaw. That right there is plenty for me to eat. And of course there's the good ole' turkey breast.

And lucky me - I'm in charge of dessert (I called it!) . No pecan or pumpkin pie this year - sorry folks. I'm making individual (quite large actually) apple crumble pies. Just enough for each person there to have one. No one needs more then one dessert, though I did buy some vanilla ice cream to serve with it. I will make a special one just for me, consisting of sliced apples, baked with cinnamon and sugar free maple syrup - no crumble.

I too will thoroughly enjoy my family, the football and the *feast*.

Heather
11-24-2010, 08:39 AM
Thanksgiving is at my house. The plus is that I get to control what we eat -- and there won't be anything extra fattening or crazy. That's the plus side. The downside is lots of leftovers! I don't expect there to be any leftover desserts, but the stuffing will be the one to watch.

That's one big reason I won't be going whole hog on Thursday. I don't think I'd get back on track the next day. Plus, I haven't really been as on plan as I'd like. I really don't need to backslide right now.

But as I'm thinking about it... there are ways to either make sure there are fewer leftovers or... I can just toss them!!

ncuneo
11-24-2010, 08:48 AM
Not exactly. I'm planning on putting whatever I want on my plate (reasonable portions) but only having a few bites of each thing and loading up on veggies. I've also been eating light in anticipation, but that has more to do with the fact that I'm recovering from TOM. I'm going to be out of town this weekend again and next weekend too, so I can't really afford a free for all tomorrow.

Shytowngal
11-24-2010, 08:55 AM
I think maybe that is something that is easier to do since you're already at your goal weight. I'm struggling with the last 15 pounds, only losing about 3 pounds a month. So even a couple pound gain would be very depressing.

I also would HATE all the comments like, "So you're off your diet? You're not eating healthy anymore?" Everyone thinks I'm going to gain it back again, so I don't want to give the rumor mill any ammo!

Also, I don't want to feel stuffed sick like I used to. That is a horrible feeling, and I'm never going back.

katkitten
11-24-2010, 09:15 AM
Well, I'm not going to be good by any means. I, too, have been extra good all week and I just can't cook a big meal like that (and yes I'll be the one cooking it) without trying everything. I'm also attempting a sugar pie this year because so many Canadian friends were talking about their sugar pie recipes last month and now I'm curious (I've never tried it). We are still having our traditional no sugar added apple pie so, yes, I will be eating 2 pieces of pie this year lol. I AM however going to measure everything and plan to drink a ridiculous amount of water and eat 8 oz of turkey and lots of plain green beans and salad with only balsamic vinegar as dressing. Once I've eaten all that, I can have small portions of whatever I want! (I figure I'll probably be so full that I wont be able to eat much else lol)

Bac0s
I'm not going hog-wild but I am going to enjoy the food. I don't have a problem over-eating with the actual Thanksgiving meal, so I'm giving myself carte blanche to try everything I want (just being mindful of portion sizes) including pumpkin pie.

I DO have a problem overeating with the appetizers, so I'm having healthier stuff this year that won't be the end of the world if I eat a lot of. Fruit/veggie tray, low fat/low cal pumpkin dip for the fruit, and cheese and crackers.

Shmead
I am going to eat. I am having all sorts of weird issues right now because I am getting myself artificially inseminated this morning. I'm also in the middle of a pretty good losing streak. Part of me wants to stay strict, because in all honesty, whether or not this works probably has nothing to do with whether I eat 1600 or 2300 calories a day these next 2 weeks, or if I exercise or not. But not eating/exercising almost feels silly (This is $1500/time, plus the emotional stuff--don't I want to maximize my chances?!). So overall--for the next two weeks until I know about the pregnancy--I have no idea what to do.

So I think I am going to eat and not worry about it. However, I WILL record what I eat, at least in terms of over-estimated calories, so that I will see the effect in my daily average for weeks to come. I will indulge, but I won't pretend it didn't count because it's Thanksgiving.

If it weren't for the baby thing, I'd probably still eat and not worry about it. I don't really ever have unexpected bad days/weekends: I am a compulsive planner and the least impulsive person I know, and I know I can return to my routines. It especially helps that Thanksgiving is a couple hours away--context is important.

rockinrobin
11-24-2010, 09:16 AM
The downside is lots of leftovers! I don't expect there to be any leftover desserts, but the stuffing will be the one to watch.

But as I'm thinking about it... there are ways to either make sure there are fewer leftovers or... I can just toss them!!

Or give them away. HAve containers ready and hand it out to your guests as they leave. They will love and enjoy it and you won't have to have that stuffing calling your name, because if it was sitting in my house, I would just *know that it's there*. I HATE that feeling. Much better to get rid of it, immediately, if not sooner. ;)

winning the war
11-24-2010, 09:17 AM
I am also not limiting myselft. I find that if I give myself "permission" to have whatever I want, I actually eat less than when I criticize myself and try to stay on plan. I am cooking, too, and making a smaller feast, but either way I'm not going to beat myself up. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

chickybird
11-24-2010, 09:38 AM
Schmead, good luck!
I am not counting calories, but am not going hog wild. Since joining OA, I've noticed it takes a lot less food to fill me up. I did nibble a little too much thi sweek, but it's also my TOM and I expect that. I'm off to the gym now, actually.
Have a safe holiday!!!

joyfulloser
11-24-2010, 09:42 AM
Although this is a 'non-issue' for me as I do not participate in holiday celebrations. I think that it's important for the long haul to get used to eating in "real-life" situations in a way that is moderate. IMHO, it's the ALL or NOTHING mentality that gets us to be overweight.

Life will continue for me as usual...however, I may take advantage of some of the seasonable fresh yams and pumpkins...but yup...just another meal. I tend to try to enjoy people more than food:)

smisen
11-24-2010, 09:45 AM
DH and I are going to the restaurant where he works - they're doing a big family-style Thanksgiving dinner and since we aren't going home to MI, we decided that would be easier than me cooking the whole meal!

I'm going to try to find a happy medium. I'm going to eat what I want and not worry about how many calories are in each side dish and which choices are healthier than others. But I'm also going to try to eat until I'm full - not stuffed.

One thing that helps me - my extended family is big on sharing talents with each other (people play musical instruments, sing, dance, etc) and holidays usually wind up in mini-performances. Since my "art" is belly dance, I always used to watch my portions at Thanksgiving, because I knew I was going to be called on to dance, and belly dance ain't pretty on a stuffed full stomach :)

Even though I won't have to perform for anyone this year, I'm going to try to keep in mind, "Would I be able to get up and dance?" and use that to keep my eating in check.

And I'll probably compensate with extra workouts, lower calorie days, etc, but you know what, it's a holiday and I'm not going to deny myself all enjoyment just because I'm trying to lose weight.

carter
11-24-2010, 10:08 AM
Hey Megan, I think what you are doing sounds sensible - it's part of your plan, so you are not going off-plan! One splurge meal a month seems very livable to me, as long as one gets right back on the horse afterward, which you have already demonstrated you can do.

As for me - like some others have said, I am hosting Thanksgiving this year so I get control of what is being served. Apart from the turkey and I am serving roasted squash, roasted green beans, sauteed brussels sprouts, and sweet-potato-and-apple stuffing (NOT bread stuffing). So I will get to enjoy a voluminous, not terribly caloric meal! I'm hoping for leftovers, in fact, because those dishes will make a very nice few meals for me as well.

I even have dessert in hand - I am making poached pears, which I will serve with vanilla ice cream but I'll probably pass on the ice cream myself. A friend who is coming is bringing pumpkin pudding - I will certainly have to taste that - but any leftovers I will send right back home with her.

krampus
11-24-2010, 10:21 AM
Me!

JenMusic
11-24-2010, 10:24 AM
Megan - First of all, I want to tell you that I envy your once-a-month free-for-all day. Not really because you're able to eat whatever you want, but that you're able to do it without guilt. Something I'm struggling with recently is a feeling of guilt if I'm off plan. The closer I get to goal, the more I even dislike using my high calorie days on my calorie cycling plan. But that's my own issue. Just saying I'm jealous! :)

That being said, I really thought about throwing caution to the wind for tomorrow, but two things stopped me:

1. I'm SOOOOO freakin' close to (initial) goal! I don't want to wait anymore to say I have "normal" BMI.

2. I really thought about my traditional TG dinner and realized I don't even really like everything my parents serve and I usually eat. So I decided where I would be OK with a compromise (I'm going to have sauteed green beans, mushrooms, and grape tomatoes instead of the crazy-fat cheesy green bean casserole my mom makes; a roasted sweet potato instead of mashed potatoes, which I've never loved) and where I will accept no substitute (I'm eating a 500 cal portion of my dad's AMAZING cornbread dressing that he only makes once a year, and a good sized piece of my mom's special Mystery Pie).

Like Schmead, I'm going over cals for the day and not worrying about it, but still tracking intake in order to see the affect over time.

Also, turkey sandwiches are pretty much my favorite food over November and December, and I can't wait for the turkey breast leftovers. Delicious! :)

BrokenAnkle
11-24-2010, 10:29 AM
We are going to have the lightest of the traditional dishes. Turkey, roasted green beans, crudities and maybe some salad. For a splurge, we are havng stuffing - I found a relatively healthy recipe that sounds good and I did decide to make a mushroom gravy - again, as healthy as I could find. The unusual thing for me is.... no dessert at all. I love to bake and I looked at a bunch of recipes that were healthier and they didn't sound as good as their calories. The rest of the family is fine w/o dessert so we're going to skip it. I'll have coffee or tea at the end of the meal and we have plenty of apples.

JayEll
11-24-2010, 10:34 AM
I have been doing this for awhile...

And that means that I'm always aware of what and how much I am eating.

That doesn't mean I always make good choices, but it does mean that I don't fool myself into thinking that what I eat on "a holiday" doesn't count. It all counts.

My body does not know from Thanksgiving, Christmas, my birthday, New Years, July 4, etc. All my body knows is how to turn excess food into fat. Experience has shown that it knows that very well.

Experience has also shown that weight comes on easy but comes off hard.

So, we have planned a vegetarian take-out Thanksgiving with some vegetarian friends of ours. I will eat the amounts I am used to eating, after all this time. Will it be more calories than usual? Probably. Will I just keep on eating until I'm sick? No, I never liked that, and I don't see the point. How is that fun? :dunno: I'm all about quality, not quantity.

Jay

popspry
11-24-2010, 10:37 AM
I am calorie-cycling, so I am purposefully eating low all week so I accumulate enough free calories to where I don't need to freak out about food for thanksgiving. I have the same plan for Christmas. I'm not going hog-wild but I'm also not going to not enjoy the food.

pipernoswiper
11-24-2010, 10:40 AM
the only thing i really enjoy is the stuffing, and i have a recipe that uses 100 calorie english muffins and veggies for the stuffing. cant stand pumpkin pie, and i'm making separate mashed potatoes for myself without real butter, so i'm good for thanksgiving, BUT i do plan to give myself christmas eve........within reason. i'm not logging anything that evening, and hopefully i wont let the guilt eat me alive!!!!!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE! goodluck ;)

kittycat40
11-24-2010, 10:52 AM
This past weekend I had 2 nights in a row of massive amts of wine cheese and pate (YUM :)) followed by pizza and candy and had the totally unpleasant effect of feeling uncomfortably stuffed with heartburn to boot!!
I will eat carefully as I have been reminded of how those feelings do not work for me. Also, the dishes on this holiday are not overwhelmingly appealing to me.

But I am at peace with my indulgences just as I am feeling fine with being careful tomorrow.

Glory87
11-24-2010, 11:01 AM
For me, it's my weekly treat meal. I'm going to eat reasonable portions of everything (I've never been a big stuffing/mashed potatoes fan, so little dollops will do), a glass of wine and a piece of pie. One meal, then back to normal for the next meal.

We are going to a friend's house. They are making the turkey, ham, scalloped potatoes, mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing and a fruit pie. I am bringing an awesome brussel sprouts dish (Mandalinn's recipe), home made cranberry sauce with orange zest (and a can for the purists), pumpkin cheesecake, my mom's sweet potato casserole with brownsugar/pecan topping, hot buttered rum (spiced apple cider with rum) and a bottle of wine!

WildThings
11-24-2010, 11:11 AM
It will be an off plan day for me. Is it a good idea, maybe not, but I have eaten very low calorie days for the last week, done a lot of extra exercising, I'm starting the day off with a 5k walk/run, and I will be getting right back on plan Friday. I didn't become obese by eating Thanksgiving dinner, it was the other 364 days of the year, so it is what it is.

JennieGrl
11-24-2010, 11:13 AM
I'm not bothering with the counting, but I will be aware of what and how much i'm eating. I even did two classes (zumba then kickboxing) at the gym last night in preparation so i won't feel so OMG I CAN'T EAT THAT!

Not going crazy, but I will indeed enjoy the day :)

saef
11-24-2010, 11:14 AM
I have my Thanksgiving dinner tete-a-tete with my mother, at her home, and it's not an easy day for either of us. We're still figuring out how to "do" this holiday without my father, who died two years ago, on Nov. 22, just a few days before this holiday. So we're dealing with a ghost at the table. A ghost who had a hearty, socially-approved male appetite & poured lots of gravy over everything, had seconds, ate himself into a near-napping state, and watched a lot of football with his eyes half-closed afterward. How we loved that man. We ate more when we saw him enjoying himself so much.

So an era has ended for us. We'll eat a comparatively light meal, with steamed green beans & broccoli, plain oven-baked sweet potatoes (she'll put maple syrup on hers) and turkey. I'll take about two tablespoons full of stuffing & some home-made cranberry sauce made with Splenda. No dessert. We really don't want a lot of leftovers sitting around, because there's only us two women to consume them.

The holiday just isn't about eating anymore for me. I mean, it may include a visit to the cemetery. If it were any other season, I'd go for a nice long contemplative walk in the woods -- which is what my father & I liked to do together -- but there'll be a lot of deer-hunting going on that day, so that won't happen.

Satine
11-24-2010, 11:18 AM
No limits for me either...Thanksgiving comes once a year...I am having what I want ...

ksmommy
11-24-2010, 11:27 AM
I'm not going to freak out if I go over my calories....but I really can't break myself from wanting to behave. I have NO DESIRE to overeat or overindulge----and I'm the one doing the cooking. I've been "saving" calories here and there all week, in anticipation of if I lose control. But from what I'm currently feeling. I think I will just eat my normal portions, eat until I'm full----not stuffed. And just call it a day. And NOT feel guilty. I plan on having a very light lunch, and light breakfast, to further save calories for dinner. i'm making chocolate cupcakes with vanilla icing with my daughter. Gonna be messy, but fun. And I plan on enjoy one. That's pretty much the extent of my caution to wind. I believe we all can still stay on plan without breaking the scale and depriving ourselves of holiday fun :-). Even if it means going over calorie limit for one day out of the month.

midwife
11-24-2010, 11:29 AM
Saef, :hug:. I think I would have liked your dad a lot. :)

We're hosting Thanksgiving so I have some control. On the other hand it is also my oldest DD's birthday and she has requested enchiladas and strawberry cake.

My plan of attack:
run in the morning (Yay!)
oatmeal for breakfast
load my plate with lots of turkey and roasted vegetables (my younger DD found a recipe online for roasted brussel sprouts, carrots, baby potatoes, and we're going to add butternut squash) and salad. I'll skip the food that is not too special but I will have some enchiladas and some strawberry cake. :)

Jelma
11-24-2010, 11:42 AM
I don't plan on tracking everything I eat on Thanksgiving but I plan on being aware of how much I put on my plate and eating slowly which is tough for me. I make pumpkin cheese cake every year, even with low fat cream cheese it is still a killer but I'll have a piece. I will be having wine but at dinner - not before! Definitely have to have stuffing, and my mom's Waldorf Salad which isn't too bad except for the Miracle Whip based dressing!

yhahmd
11-24-2010, 12:01 PM
Enjoy your Thanksgiving! :D I for one am going to keep counting. I have my whole meal planned out, and I'm stopping at the store later for a box of junior mints or a bag of skittles, since I'm not a fan of apple or pumpkin pie. That way I can have a little something sweet, too. And they're not all that bad, calorie wise, if you just eat a serving size. (I'll have to give the rest to my mom so I don't eat the whole thing.)

I just don't feel like I can trust myself 100% yet. I don't think I want to acknowledge the difference between "a little over indulging" and "eating half a cake by myself." Maybe next Thanksgiving.

Anyway, hope everything works out great for all of you who are going on-plan-off-plan (haha, get it?) this week.

Heather
11-24-2010, 01:32 PM
Or give them away. HAve containers ready and hand it out to your guests as they leave. They will love and enjoy it and you won't have to have that stuffing calling your name, because if it was sitting in my house, I would just *know that it's there*. I HATE that feeling. Much better to get rid of it, immediately, if not sooner. ;)

I have done that in the past, but this time I only have 2 guests coming and they are staying until Saturday... and then flying home, so this time that won't work. :)

vdander24
11-24-2010, 02:14 PM
By all rights I should be monitoring ever morsel during Thanksgiving. I am just starting out on this journey and have a LONG way to go.

That being said, I am cooking.... REALLY cooking Thanksgiving this year. I have been learning how since September, and I am really passionate about doing things from scratch. I have planned on some modified recipes, but I am making a number of sides, many starches.
So, I will be eating. The upside is that by the time I have tasted everythng to make sure it is cooked right, I probably will not be hungry for dinner.
I have decided that I am going to avoid the "Tyranny of the shoulds" I am NOT going to berate myself. Because this journey for me is for life, and if I can't balance now, I'll never maintain balance later.

DianaG
11-24-2010, 02:20 PM
I don't plan on counting my calories on Thanksgiving, but I am hosting, so I know what is in every dish on the table.

My veggies are all plan friendly with no added fats or sugars and I plan to use portion control on my plate and not go for seconds.

I am going to have a piece of my homemade pumpkin pie because it just would not be Thanksgiving without it, but that and a glass of Chardonnay are my only two indulgences I plan to make.

rockinrobin
11-24-2010, 02:45 PM
I have done that in the past, but this time I only have 2 guests coming and they are staying until Saturday... and then flying home, so this time that won't work. :)

I should have realized there was a good reason why you didn't mention giving the leftovers to your guests as one of your options and there you have it.

Oy.

Arctic Mama
11-24-2010, 03:00 PM
I will be staying on plan throughout the morning... If I eat too lightly I will be more temped to overstuff myself in the afternoon. I am going to focus on more veggies and turkey breast and less starchy junk, but thats my only strategy. Last year I counted calories but it was very difficult to guess most of the foods, as I didn't prepare them. The same will be true this year, so I think I will omit counting and otherwise eat the same. My weaknesses are turkey and cranberry sauce, neither is a particularly high calorie food.

I plan on giving into those weaknesses so the potatoes don't hold much allure ;)

Hopeful8
11-24-2010, 03:18 PM
We already had our Thanksgiving because of work requirements, but we ate a totally clean, vegetarian, health conscious meal. My total meal including dessert was 620 calories and it was absolutely delicious. Even our guests that are not vegetarians really enjoyed the meal.

I feel like I committed to this lifestyle change and if I can't deal with it during the holidays then what's the point for the rest of the year. That's my personal opinion though and it's only intended to keep myself on track. I don't deprive myself of "cheats". But since this year was my first Thanksgiving as a vegetarian I wanted to do it as clean and healthy as possible.

This morning I stepped on the scale and I had a .4lb loss and I couldn't be happier.

sept15lija
11-24-2010, 03:25 PM
Thanksgiving is over for us, but for me it was an on plan meal. Maybe when I get to maintenance I can do a "treat" meal once in a while but because I'm still losing I'm just not comfortable with it yet. Anyways happy thanksgiving to all the Americans!

midwife
11-24-2010, 03:44 PM
Hopeful, what did you make?

Pudgebrownie
11-24-2010, 03:51 PM
I'm undecided as to what I'm going to do. The family is going out for Thanksgiving and we'll be ordering off menus that don't tell you what the calories are for each dish. I'm not going to get fanatical over it but I'll definitely be cautious as to what I put into my mouth. For certainty, I will be avoiding breads and all meat since I'm vegetarian. Salad is likely what I'll be chowing down on and MAYBE some potatoes because I do like spuds.. But I'm going to maintain my daily consumption allotment to the best that I can.

mandalinn82
11-24-2010, 04:03 PM
Well, sort of, but not really.

I now have firm habits related to serving myself at a buffet. Half a plate of vegetables, small portions of heavy things, lean protein, small amount of dessert. It's not so much a choice to stay on plan, it's just what I do. So I'll do that, out of habit. It's also self-protective. If I eat more than that, I get physically ill.

I will, however, drink considerably more wine on Thanksgiving than I do on normal days (I normally don't drink at all. Thanksgiving with my family involves lots of wine and a tradition of taking shots of an Italian liquor called Tuaca while people chant your name. :P)

I also now have a way of eating that lets me have the things I love, but where I don't have things I don't love. I love mashed potatoes and gravy. I bake homemade rolls every year for the whole 30 person get-together, and one type is a crescent filled with sharp cheddar and black pepper - I love those and will have one. I love pumpkin pie. I eat most of these things rarely, and I'll eat them on Thanksgiving without a shred of guilt (in quantities larger than I'd have normally, but not so large that I feel sick). I love my mom's salad with spinach and cranberries. But I don't really like stuffing, or candied sweet potatoes, or green bean casserole, so I don't eat even a little bit - why would I, when I don't truly enjoy them, and there are plenty of other things (heavy OR healthy things) that I do really like?

So I AM giving myself permission to eat what I want, but I'm limiting some of the items out of physical limitations (Seriously, I do not want to end the night throwing up because I ate too much) or because I don't really enjoy them.

sweetnlow28
11-24-2010, 04:13 PM
Thanksgiving is over for me but I wanted to mention that I do the same as Mkendrick during most holidays. I had as much as I wanted on Thanksgiving but I also listened to my body, and stopped eating before I became so full that I felt sick. It was a definite improvement from last year! I plan to eat what I want at Christmas this year too, after all, its only once a year ;)

Hopeful8
11-24-2010, 08:30 PM
Hopeful, what did you make?

We had roasted Brussels Sprouts, spiced cranberry sauce, vegan stuffing, Shepard's Pie w/tofu crumbles, whole wheat rolls, green beans w/toasted almonds, and butternut squash & spiced apple soup.

The guests all had regular desserts but I had a Yoplait mixed berry smoothie.

pinkflower
11-24-2010, 08:37 PM
Yes, I'm going to indulge tomorrow! I never have a problem getting right back on plan, so I do something similar to you and take about once a month, a little more often where I eat what I want for 1 meal. I hate over eating to the point where I'm in pain, and I never overdue it that much on T-giving. I think the primary indulgences will be from a huge helping of mashed potatoes and I'm having cheese cake!

Having this special rule really helps keep me on track. I can only have my free meal if I've followed my plan and earned it. When I have temptations that arise, I remind myself that I can wait until it's time. I'm not perfect and don't always stay on track, but then I lower my calories for a few days after (calorie cycling so I don't go over my calorie average for the week)......I have adjusted my calories to make extra room for it already! Oh and even though the gym is closed, I'm taking the family out for an early morning long bike ride before we bake/eat :)

I'm bringing a cheesecake and apple pie. If I can't pawn the leftovers off on someone else, they will be going in the garbage. I just did this a few wks ago with half of the most delicious chocolate cake for a family member's birthday. It was painful, but it's not worth it going on my hips!

KenzideRhae
11-24-2010, 08:52 PM
I am totally throwing caution to the wind haha. My mom doesn't want to cook, so we're going out to eat for Thanksgiving, and I'm going to enjoy myself. I won't be counting calories, but I've been extra good and on plan the past couple of weeks to help make up for it, and since there won't be any leftovers, it'll be easy to go right back on plan Friday. I'll definitely be paying attention to how full I feel, though, don't want to eat until I'm sick!

shcirerf
11-24-2010, 09:19 PM
Thanksgiving is the one holiday, we go all out. We scale it back to chili, chicken noodle, oyster soup and munchies for Christmas, so we can enjoy family time better without all the cooking, clean up stuff.

So, yes, tomorrow, I will enjoy dinner. However, I do keep the portion sizes reasonable. Plus after dinner we go out and hang up all of Grammas Christmas lights and then we usually head out to my sisters for a hike.

pammi2003
11-24-2010, 09:26 PM
I am still counting my calories. But if I eat anything "naughty", I will exercise it out of my body :D

Lauren201
11-24-2010, 10:04 PM
I'm going to enjoy myself for Thanksgiving... I will be counting calories and I will be working out tomorrow, but I'm not going to completely limit myself. I love pumpkin pie and I'm going to have a small piece.

Nola Celeste
11-24-2010, 10:33 PM
While I'm not giving myself carte blanche, I'm planning a very generous amount of calories in my plan tomorrow (2500, up from 1500 and still nowhere near the 5000 or more that I'd estimate I used to eat every day for most of Thanksgiving week).

For the last couple of days, I've been at the low end of my calorie range and have kept active in preparation for the feast. I've also lightened up some recipes (baked spiced sweet potatoes instead of marshmallow-topped canned ones, more broth and apples and less butter in the stuffing, apple/pear tarte tatin instead of double-crusted apple pie a la mode for dessert) and replaced some of our usual dishes with others (collard greens instead of creamed spinach, squash soup instead of oyster/artichoke soup with heavy cream and crabmeat).

No food is off-limits, but some will occupy a bigger spot on my plate than others tomorrow. Two spoons of greens, one spoon of mashed potatoes is better than the reverse, y'know? But I definitely plan on tasting it all. :)

I even have all my food plugged into FitDay already. The only change I may need to make is scaling back amounts, because I'm no longer sure I can physically fit that much in my stomach during the course of a day!

swtbttrfly23
11-24-2010, 10:42 PM
I kind of am! I always go a little bit nuts at big cooking functions. My roommate has been meticulously planning thanksgiving for literally months. She's crazy over it, we have 13 different dishes on the menu, including 4 different desserts. That said, one thing that is different for me this year is that I am very pointedly focusing on not over-eating or bingeing. I am going to eat what I want to eat tomorrow, but slowly, and not to the point of feeling stuffed. I have perhaps more than anything come to realize how much I hate feeling stuffed now, considering how often I used to feel like I was going to burst. So that's my plan, just to eat very mindfully, no shoveling it in to the point of discomfort. That, and I'm going to get a good cardio interval session on tonight, maybe a tv workout tomorrow morning. But on the 26th, it's right back to it!

Good luck darlin, you can enjoy yourself without going totally crazy. Happy Turkey day everyone! And Happy Thanksgiving Leftovers Day(s) :-)

Horo
11-25-2010, 03:58 AM
I personally won't be counting tomorrow, and I'm not worried about it either. I won't overeat because that's simply not what I do anymore. Because this year my brother is vegetarian in addition to me being vegan, I'll be cooking a full vegan feast in addition to the more traditional fare my mother will be making for her and my father, and really the only "unhealthy" thing that's going to be amongst the vegan items will be the (wonderful) pumpkin pie that I'm making.. of which I will have a normal slice- not a tiny, pathetic little sliver and not a giant piece either.

I intend to eat on maintenance calories(like I did, without counting, for over a year without a problem) and I'll be right back to counting the day after. No problem, no worries.

Katterina
11-25-2010, 04:28 AM
I now have firm habits related to serving myself at a buffet. Half a plate of vegetables, small portions of heavy things, lean protein, small amount of dessert. It's not so much a choice to stay on plan, it's just what I do. So I'll do that, out of habit. It's also self-protective. If I eat more than that, I get physically ill.

That's pretty much what my plates look like, too. I find myself wishing for more veggie dishes at my favorite Chinese buffet so I don't have to pick them out of the entrees, lol. :o :D

I'm an intuitive eater and I live by smaller portions. I don't see T-Day being an issue due to my general tastes and sheer dread/avoidance of a full-overfull belly making me feel nauseated.

elisaannh
11-25-2010, 10:28 AM
I am not going to have a no-count day. I am still actively dieting so that I can get to goal. Each to his own, whatever works for you. All I know is that my obesity came from thinking I could eat what I wanted when I wanted and suspended the idea it would harm me in any way. I am now diabetic and having to lose 160 pounds....all because I wanted to eat and suspend the rules I needed to follow consistently.

My choice is to stay on plan on Thanksgiving and count the calories as I do each day.

Have a great turkey whatever each of you decide to do!

seagirl
11-25-2010, 10:46 AM
I'll eat the things I love - bread, cheese, wine, pie and then lots of veggies and some turkey.

I got the warning on Sparkpeople that my exercise is too much for my calorie intake, so I'm not worried about the calories but I will try to count them.

We aren't having our feast until Saturday so today I'm going for a nice long walk and having sushi for dinner. :carrot:

QuilterInVA
11-25-2010, 11:22 AM
Some people can let go on a holiday and get right back on track. But a lot of those who do will find themselves on the slippery slope to having trouble getting back on track and weight gain.

I am going with my friend (we are both widows with no family) to a buffet but I already know what I will have and how many points I'll be spending. I don't like the stuffed feeling and the guilt. We are not in a period of famine so there is always food available and no need to eat like there will be none tomorrow.

To maintain weight loss we have to learn to deal with food on every occasion in a responsible manner. Throwing caution to the wind and stuffing doesn't support this.

mkendrick
11-25-2010, 11:32 AM
Well, I had my Thanksgiving celebration yesterday (due to family travel plans, etc...yesterday was the best day for us).

I didn't think about calories at all. I snacked all day to the point where I actually left most of my food on my plate at the actual dinner, lol. I went waaaay over calorie wise, I'm not sure by how much, but the volume/quality of food was considerably over even my maintenance calories, hehe. Enjoyed every bite guilt-free. Did indeed have a tummyache all night.

I'm right back on plan today and thrilled about it. After all the sugary, buttery, salty, heavy foods yesterday, I'm desperately craving light and lean and crisp foods. I don't want to even look at a pie for a long while. I'm eating light for today and the next few days (I have some fun salads planned out, probably stay close to 1200/day). Thankfully, we weren't sent home with any leftovers. Went for a long walk this morning, about to go on another one soon.

I don't plan on looking at the scale today or even tomorrow, I know it's up, no point in looking at the number and freaking myself out over it. But you bet your buns that I'll be posting my usual Monday accountability weight, and if it's up, so be it. If it's a number I'm unhappy with, I'll adjust my plan accordingly until it's back to where I'm comfortable with. But I'm well within my maintenance limit, I'm sure that a few days of eating light on plan will settle me down to a "normal" number :)

Had a blast, ate what I want, no guilt, back on plan. No harm done.

TheBunneh
11-25-2010, 12:54 PM
We're just having a small dinner tonight, with some of the main Thanksgiving staples (turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, rolls and veggies). I'm going to eat small meals today and then have sensible portions of dinner and stay OP. But my plan allows for some wiggle room so I'm okay with going over my cals a little as long as I'm under maintenance. Though I'm going to try to stay at my cals.

hhichick
11-25-2010, 01:41 PM
I log and count because my body does regardless.

We are having our second annual Thanksgiving gumbo. (My kid cooks and we eat it all weekend!) Loaded with lots of veggies (he put in some carrots this year) and served with brown rice. Yumm.

I will eat cake tonight, but I eat cake every Thursday night. (We go to a country auction where the *best* baker makes the *best* cakes for the concession stand.) I log that, too. :)

I went to a big catered buffet dinner last weekend and had one of those cool moments. When we got back from the buffet, I noticed that I had almost the same exact items and amounts on my plate as the slim woman sitting next to me. :)

Oboegal
11-25-2010, 02:50 PM
I've had an unusual week. I'm in Las Vegas visiting with an old friend (well, ex-husband--long story). Tuesday was my travel day, and we had dinner at a nice restaurant for which friend had a $100 comp. I ate a lot of delicious food--didn't end up stuffed, but I was rather full. I estimated that the meal was 1500 calories, total of 2600 for the day.

Yesterday, I ate two fiber bars for breakfast and had lunch at a super-favorite Mexican restaurant. Then friend had a coupon for two free buffets at an excellent buffet. Estimated calories: 300 + 1200 + 1500. With a "debt" from before, plus 2800 extra calories for Tuesday and Wednesday, I'm now in debt for 3500 calories.

I'm debating whether to "write it off". If I do, it will be the third time in two years that I've written off about a pound, and I think I can still make it to goal by the end of the year.

While I'm not a "foodie", there are certain foods I can only eat when I'm in certain locations, and I think I can indulge in them without getting seriously derailed. I can honestly say that all of the food I ate the last two days was worth it. I think I'm threading the needle by not feeling guilty, but simulatenously realizing that this has to be a very rare occurrence.

I'm going to try hard to stay reasonably on plan today and tomorrow (my travel day back home).

Good luck today, everyone!

mkendrick
11-25-2010, 02:50 PM
Wellllll, curiosity got the best of me and I got on the scale....

.....and it was 128.2. Up a couple pounds, but still quite comfortably within maintenance. And I can feel that my tummy is still full, so I'm sure some of that will <ahem> be "passed" over the next day or two. And my engagement ring that is normally quite loose is actually tight, so I'm absolutely retaining some major water.

As I said, a few days of eating clean light food and regular exercise, my weight will be exactly where it stated :)

Oboegal
11-27-2010, 01:25 PM
Good job, Megan!

I weighed in today at 149, about two pounds up from Monday. I expect that about a pound of that is "real". My current calorie debt is about 4000. I decided I'm not going to write it off--at least not yet, and not the whole thing. I'm going to make a good-faith effort to pay it back, and perhaps write off whatever is left when I get to goal.

Hope everyone else had a good holiday and is doing whatever is best for them to get back on plan.