General chatter - Work colleagues commenting on what eat. Lol

i76
11-19-2010, 10:52 PM
At the end of the week someone takes a turn to bring cakes and fruit at break time.

Well these days I don't both eating any of it and bring in chopped veg or protein shake etc.

Today I got comments on it from a newbie at work. It was too funny! I tried to explain sometimes I do eat cake- rarely tho! what I didn't mention is I don't eat "treats" at work in a hurry surrounded by colleagues. Gee just cause there are cakes doesn't mean I have to eat them. I love eating healthy and the comments didn't bother me but I really wanted to say that people just don't know how good they could feel etc.

So do your work colleagues comment on your food?

Ciao
11-20-2010, 07:52 AM
http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab15/JeMappelleSierra/Photography/divider-2.jpg
Congrats on controlling yourself! :hug:
http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab15/JeMappelleSierra/Photography/divider-2.jpg

Sunday
11-20-2010, 08:08 AM
Yes, it was a group hobby at the organisation I used to volunteer at!

Once I was sitting down in the kitchenette about to start my lunch - vegetarian pie and a strawberry and pineapple juice - and one of the women sitting across from me twisted her face, sneered "What's that supposed to be" and proceeded to poke and prod my pie! What the ****! I'm like, it's a pie? Mortified - don't touch my food!

Sometimes when a cake was available they would try to force me to eat some, which is pretty rude considering I'd obviously eaten a decent lunch. Usually a falafel wrap, soup and fruit.

But otherwise it was mostly benign. All the women were retired and I was in my late teens at the time so I guess it was some sort of maternal thing, they used to have to inspect and make sure I was eating right. Lol.

What was annoying was when I lost weight and they had a drawn out and involved debate about whether I was too thin or not thin enough, which involved pinching my belly fat. Cringe.

Boundaries!

KathleanAgain
11-20-2010, 10:38 AM
It always amazes me that you're judged for eating unhealthy foods when you're overweight, but then if you start eating healthy and losing weight suddenly people are even more concerned for your eating habits!

krampus
11-22-2010, 01:40 AM
Ugh, tell me about it. When I go back to America I expect people to be harping on my lunches nonstop. "That's ALL you're eating?!" etc.

Katheryne
11-22-2010, 12:18 PM
Ugh. Don't even get me started on this. It drives me insane that coworkers think they have the right to comment on my food/body. I lost and regained a significant amount of weight, and am now losing it again, and apparently that makes it open season for coworkers who want to comment.

My office manager routinely tells me I only eat "twigs" (really? A grilled chicken wrap, fruit, etc. is "twigs?") and that I should eat REAL food (i.e. take out), but then says things like "it's a shame you've regained the weight, you were looking so good." She is also behind all the cake that manages to show up at the office for birthdays, which she tries to pressure me into eating. I told her on no uncertain terms that I did not want cake at the office for my birthday, and guess what showed up? An ice cream cake.

I have another coworker that decides to comment whenever she sees me eating anything healthy (which is often), and always in front of a group of other coworkers. Last week I declined a piece of cake for someone's birthday, and she said quite loudly and in front of about a dozen other people, "back on your diet, then?"

Perhaps I'm being overly sensitive, but I really think what I eat and the current state of my body are out of bounds in terms of the running commentary from coworkers. Argh.

kittycat40
11-22-2010, 12:25 PM
Here's a good one. My manager wanted to join me in the cafeteria. I had no choice but to accept (even tho i really wanted peace and quiet for the 20mins).

She sat down across from me and said, "Caucasians make the best salads."
I said her lunch looked good also ;)

Jelma
11-22-2010, 02:03 PM
She sat down across from me and said, "Caucasians make the best salads."
I said her lunch looked good also ;)

That is hilarious :lol:

My co-worker (who is rail thin but not very healthy) likes to comment about my food, "oh, you are eating so healthy," "still packing lunch for your sister too? that's so funny," it drives me absolutely nuts. The other day she said something along the lines of "why are you eating so healthy?" and I went off about how I didn't want to eat crap food and be fat like everyone else in the office. It was mean but she really grates on my nerves. My boss will buy ice cream once every couple of months for all the ladies in the office and I never get any and I always get the "you are being so good" comment, annoying.

My co-worker that I walk with is fun though, she is the pickiest eater ever so I always get her to try stuff I bring in. Seriously she had never had a fresh blueberry in her life (she is 41)! I've gotten her to try butternut squash but gucamole is just too exotic for her. I am so glad my mom exposed us to a large variety of foods growing up.

sarahyu
11-22-2010, 02:38 PM
Ugh, tell me about it. When I go back to America I expect people to be harping on my lunches nonstop. "That's ALL you're eating?!" etc.

:o I'm one of those harpy's. I had a Japanese co-worker who was really tiny, thin and shorter then me. I couldn't believe how little she ate. She finally turned it around and started commenting on how much I ate....so I said. "Hmm, you're right it is annoying. I'll stop" and we continued to eat together not talking about quantity.

My friend told me several months later how hard it was to say anything to me about my comments because culturally she was raised to be ultra polite and non-confrontational and I felt really bad.

mkendrick
11-22-2010, 02:44 PM
For the most part, I'm PROUD of the healthy food that I eat. Even a bit arrogant/holier than thou about it. I'm proud of my grocery carts that are full of whole foods: lean meats, fresh produce, whole grains, etc. I am proud that I don't give in when everyone else is eating treats. I am proud when my friends have ordered grease bombs at a restaurant and lament about it when I'm eating my salad. For the most part, I take the comments and teasing in stride. When I make special orders at restaurants, when I decline treats, when I'd rather eat my own healthy food than whatever junk is available. People give me grief, but if anything, it inflates my ego a little bit, lol. And I do have a bit of a holier than thou complex about it.

However, there are some instances when having my eating habits picked at is inappropriate, obnoxious, embarrassing, and offensive. Just as an example, my fiance's uncle absolutely doesn't keep it secret that he thinks women should "have some meat on their bones." He thinks I'm too scrawny, and he'll loudly bring it up in front of the rest of the family that I'm skin and bones and need to eat something. They rarely have healthy food at their house, so I eat before and wait to eat after visiting...thus, I usually decline food that they offer me. So yes, he never sees me eating, so he assumes I'm anorexic. Just because I don't want whatever fried food they're offering and cake and beer doesn't mean I'm anorexic. Constantly having to defend my eating habits in front of my fiance's family gets old pretty quick. I don't get the pride rush like I do from comments from my friends like "Megan, you're skinny enough...you can eat a dang cookie!" I just feel embarrassed and picked at.

kittycarlson
11-22-2010, 02:55 PM
I have also been abstaining from treats at work. I used to be one of the main ones who brought them. LOL. What people don't get is that I believe I am addicted to sugar, also white flour and fat combinations. Baked stuff. I work in an alcohol and drug treatment center. People often make comments that I should try whatever it is and that a treat now and then won't hurt me. I crave terribly even when I have allowed fake sugar things and cheezits. So I have chosen to do without them. People also make comments about how nice I look and how much weight I have lost. Which occasionally is ok. My boss asked me if I am on a "liquid diet" which is totally obsurd as I eat a healthy lunch everyday.

RoseRodent
11-22-2010, 03:02 PM
Maybe if you are into sports now just refer to it as training nutrition. My old office always used to comment on people's diets when it was for weight loss, but we also had a guy who ate all manner of unusual things at odd times because he was in training for something that never really became clear, think it was a triathlon, and this was never, ever questioned. It was fully accepted that he had to eat eggs and salads because he was a sportsman. Funny old world that eating healthy food just because is "wrong" and eating healthy foods because you want to run a marathon is "fine" but it might give you some peace, anyway!

AnnieDrews
11-22-2010, 04:22 PM
It has been almost a year since I changed my eating habits. I have had so many comments....some nice and complimentary on how good my food looks (but it gets excessive) and other just plain rude comments ("That doesn't even look good!", "Ahhhh...that's how you did it...rabbit food.") and honestly I am very tired of it.

I think I will use some of your examples here and just start turning it around to comment on what that person is eating at that moment and see how they feel about it. I don't like conflict, but I also don't like to be scrutinized on any level.

saef
11-22-2010, 04:53 PM
Yeah, I'm looking forward (NOT!) to the chatter about my eating starting up at the office again, as people start bringing in holiday goodies & as others in my department plan the office Christmas luncheon. My abstention & moderation makes others uncomfortable. They want a consensus that it's bingeing time. They don't know what a scary thing it is for me to indulge, or maybe they'd be more compassionate. But my fears are a personal thing & I do not care to share them with all my work colleagues, with whom my relationship is more formal, distanced & professional.

BillBlueEyes
11-22-2010, 05:49 PM
At a restaurant where a bunch of us have lunch several times a year, I tend to always order the Portabello Mushroom Stack - comes topped with Swiss cheese over white beans and arugula. Soooooo yummy. I'm omnivore, but this item hits the spot for me.

The waitress always says, "Good for you."

WTF??? Why is that good for me? And why is one standard menu item worthy of a comment at all? I would suspect that many vegetarians order this since most other lunch items contain meat. Can't imagine what they think when they get that response.

katkitten
11-22-2010, 06:13 PM
I had a coworker shove chocolate in my face repeatedly saying "eat it"

They are always asking me if I want to order chinese/pizza etc with them and then saying "oh. I forgot. You don't eat anything but seeds and leaves"

One of them watched me pull out my lunch the other day and said "I bet you just want a big cheeseburger right now". I told her that actually I'm not very hungry and am trying to force myself to eat this. She didnt really seem to know what to say to that.

They are now starting to tell me that I am losing TOO much and should stop the diet soon or they're gonna get concerned. WTF? I'm still over 200 lbs?!?

So wierd :)

beerab
11-22-2010, 06:35 PM
Egads you guys work with some nuts! I usually have never had bad comments on my lunch other than "oh that looks good, oh that smells good, how do you make that, etc..."

BUT they do bring a LOT of treats- and I'm dreading the next month and a half. People finally stopped bringing in holiday candy and now they are bringing in baked goods! Donuts, banana bread (oh gawd drool), bagels, pretzels, etc. I have politely declined everything and lucky for me I work with a bunch of fitness nuts but there are times people say "oh just one..."

Overall I decline but it's hard.

I think if someone told me I was eating rabbit food I'd say "hm, rabbits get a lot of hanky panky, I think I want to be a rabbit so I'm gonna continue this way of eating cuz who wouldn't WANT to be a rabbit..."

lol.

saef
11-22-2010, 10:09 PM
These heady months at the end of the year seem like one long holiday, during which people at the office eat & eat & eat.

I want to call it HallowThanksMas.

In January, these same people will take me aside quietly, one by one. (The ladies' room, when we're side-by-side washing our hands or checking our hair, is a favorite place.) They will tell me how bad they feel about their weight & how they want to make a change. They will ask me what I eat & tell me they plan to exercise.

I will be warmly encouraging & will momentarily forget how they pouted, just weeks before, & said wheedling, childish things when I wouldn't eat any of their snickerdoodles or snowballs or pecan squares or whatever they were pushing that day.

thealbino1
11-22-2010, 11:31 PM
I think that's what discourages me most about eating right... people's comments. I'm very shy and bashful in person, I hate eating in front of people or fixing a plate in front of others. (Yeah, I know they know I eat... but I'm insecure. I assume they are thinking "Gawd, look at that fat cow chewing her cud!") So when I do eat well or bring my lunch I hate the attention I get. I hate the comments... I've heard all of them that you all have heard too.

I just wish people would bugger off an let me be... haha When it comes to working on a healthy lifestyle change (hate to call it a diet) I want no attention. Guess I'm just difficult like that...

Serval87
11-22-2010, 11:54 PM
I've lost a very small amount of weight compared to other women on this site, but I've learned tons. I've also found that I have probably never eaten healthy ever. My mother and I constantly disagree on what's healthy and not ... well not so much disagree as she says "Well, this is what I've always bought." or "Well, I have to make stuff that everyone else will eat too."

I made a vegan dish for the church dinner which consisted of red quinoa, bell peppers, onions, garlic, mushrooms, and tofurkey sausage. My brother took one look at it and disgustingly exclaimed, "Ew, what is that?!!" I have mentioned before that he won't touch veggies. :( When I try to get him to eat any, my parents scold me, saying that he doesn't have eat anything he doesn't want to.

Serval87
11-22-2010, 11:56 PM
I think that's what discourages me most about eating right... people's comments. I'm very shy and bashful in person, I hate eating in front of people or fixing a plate in front of others. (Yeah, I know they know I eat... but I'm insecure. I assume they are thinking "Gawd, look at that fat cow chewing her cud!") So when I do eat well or bring my lunch I hate the attention I get. I hate the comments... I've heard all of them that you all have heard too.

I just wish people would bugger off an let me be... haha When it comes to working on a healthy lifestyle change (hate to call it a diet) I want no attention. Guess I'm just difficult like that...

I agree with what you wrote. I'm afraid people are going to be like, "Dang, that fat girl is fixing her plate. Hope she will leave some for me." or something akin to that. Or if I ever decide to eat something healthier and someone sees it, they'll be like, "Oh, fat girl's on a diet. We'll see how long this lasts before she's chugging down chocolate and pizza!"

thealbino1
11-23-2010, 12:23 AM
I agree with what you wrote. I'm afraid people are going to be like, "Dang, that fat girl is fixing her plate. Hope she will leave some for me." or something akin to that. Or if I ever decide to eat something healthier and someone sees it, they'll be like, "Oh, fat girl's on a diet. We'll see how long this lasts before she's chugging down chocolate and pizza!"

:lol: Exactly! I'm always concerned they are thinking those thoughts.
I know most of the time I'm being a bit paranoid and self-conscious... but I guess that's just something I'll have to work through. :)

That's sad your parents act that way about you getting on track and eating healthy. At least you are trying to get your brother to try a healthy dish. I say, no harm no foul in at least offering him some. :) All he has to do is say "no thanks."

Serval87
11-23-2010, 12:46 AM
Exactly, but I do wish he would at least try a bite (a real bite, not just lightly touching the tip of his tongue to it) first. He's only 10, so he really should be made to eat healthier. I always had to try stuff I didn't want when I was his age.

brokengently
11-23-2010, 02:45 AM
when colleagues comment about what i eat, i tell them straight out that i am dieting.

...but i don't stop there: for some reason, i have this compulsion to tell them how many calories they are consuming and how many hours of exercise it would take to burn them off... which annoys them. lol. so now they never start this talk with me or they'll regret it.

RoseRodent
11-23-2010, 04:38 AM
My mother and I constantly disagree on what's healthy and not .

Same here. My mum grew up in the war years and was nearly 18 before rationing completely ended. What was "good for you" when she was young was big meat pies and full cream milk because they had some fats and proteins in them, such things were a luxury. Nobody worried about her getting enough vegetables because that was 90% of what everyone had since you could pull them out of your garden without a coupon book. She has done modern diets since, but still has ingrained in her head that a pork pie is good for you. She used to force me to eat them (for a snack!!) as a child even though I hated them, promising me that they were not fattening. 350cals and 23g fat per 3oz pie, and believe me these things are super-dense, 3oz of pie would fit on the end of your pencil as an eraser. Similar texture too. ;)

Not sure if you have anything quite as revolting as a pork pie across the pond, if you are thinking of a nice hot pie with some diced pork in it, go google this thing - eurcgh!

BillBlueEyes
11-23-2010, 05:13 AM
It wasn't pork pie I had to google - know those dense little guys - it was "Eurgh", to wit:An exclamation used in the event of seeing something gross or disturbing. Primarily British, with the specific phonetic tone of the word being a result of the British accent.
Closely related to "ew" in both meaning and sound.
"Eurgh, this milk has gone sour."
"Look, those monkeys are going at it! Eurgh!"

Urban Dictionary (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=eurgh)Thanks for the new word.

Serval87
11-23-2010, 05:30 AM
Well, my mother isn't quite that extreme. Her biggest problem is that even if she agrees with me, she still won't change her eating habits because my dad is super picky and will only eat a selective amount of meals (usually pasta, meatloaf, casserole, beans and cornbread, fried fish, fried chicken ect). But she is willing to try new things, and if I make something that she's never had before, then I will usually take her some.

Shmead
11-23-2010, 06:58 AM
I hate any comment beyond "that looks good", but what really pisses me off is advice. I work with this one lady that is really into fad diets and will be like "But where is your fish oil?" and "Oh noes, that's alkaline!". She will then proceed to tell me about how when she did [whatever] the weight just "melted off" and she doesn't seem to notice that it never stays off.

VermontMom
11-23-2010, 07:35 AM
My employers (husband and wife; small convenience store/deli/bakery) are SO friggin nosy about what I bring in for lunch. First, even though we are in a food setting, they have never offered me anything for lunchtime. Granted, if I worked in a bank, I wouldn't expect to be offered cash for free :D but you know what I mean.

But they won't say anything about other employees that stroll over to the deli, make themself a sandwich or salad, then walk away.

So I always bring something in. I have to HIDE it because if I leave it out in sight, they will comment on it ("Oh, Holly brought some lunch..what's in your lunch, Holly?" in this really stupid condensencing tone of voice) Also, I am not given time to eat it. I have to stand and fork it down, in between customers. So I get very resentful of that. Last year he said, "oh Holly, are you going to share your lunch with me?" And I said "I would share with you, ___, if you would give me just 5 damn minutes to eat it in the back room" and he said, "Oh, Holly, you don't have to share your lunch with me".

The wife will stand there and slurp down soup right in front of customers, wipe off her mouth with her hand, then make them a sandwich :faint: without washing her hands or using gloves (yes a customer called the Health Dept. on them once after seeing that; all they got was a verbal warning)

At one point I was making the same thing every day and bringing it in. It was working out SO WELL for me. I'd make a skillet of a cup of EggBeaters and a ton of sauteed veggies and it was a huge amount of food for a very few calories. So I was having it every day, really enjoying it, and the wife would say 'you're eating that AGAIN? God! ugh!'

The man is strange about food..he will 'hide eat' . Meaning he will wait til no one is around, then put something together and eat it furtively. I see his mouth moving from where I'm stuck behind the register. He won't eat out in the open. He has about a 5 month pregnant beer belly but he will make horrible mean 'fat' comments about customers.

Um...Yes... I have some comments about this topic :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

EZMONEY
11-23-2010, 08:24 AM
The waitress always says, "Good for you."

Wise up old timer ;)

It's obvious she is :love: hitting on you :love:

I work with a bunch of construction guys...the only time any one even pays attention the the other guys food is if he wants some of it! :D

My guys are always passing around burritos or bbq ribs that they or their wives made....if you want one, take one...if not don't.....no one even cares.

spixiet
11-23-2010, 10:59 AM
I typically eat alone or in the company of a bunch of 12 year-olds. The most common comment I get is, "That looks kinda funny; but it smells really good." Usually followed by begging for a taste. Of course, lunch like this also involves the constant offering of Flaming Hot Cheetos, Skittles, Pringles, French fries, etc., on their part from their lunches. I feel a little guilty turning them down all the time, but they know I'm trying to eat healthier. I had a chat with the class recently explaining that I needed eat less sugar because my blood sugar was getting high, so please, no chocolates or candy gifts for Halloween and the holidays....but they don't want to seem impolite by not sharing their lunches...it's cute, but torture sometimes :dizzy:

krampus
11-23-2010, 09:25 PM
:o I'm one of those harpy's. I had a Japanese co-worker who was really tiny, thin and shorter then me. I couldn't believe how little she ate. She finally turned it around and started commenting on how much I ate....so I said. "Hmm, you're right it is annoying. I'll stop" and we continued to eat together not talking about quantity.

My friend told me several months later how hard it was to say anything to me about my comments because culturally she was raised to be ultra polite and non-confrontational and I felt really bad.

Hahaha. As for the politeness, that's BS! Japanese people are so much worse than Americans when it comes to dieting etc. When I first got to Japan (I'm American) it blew me away how my coworkers were always commenting on how so-and-so's face got fat, so-and-so gained weight, blah blah.

The catalyst for my weight loss this time around was when a shopkeeper whose store I was in for the second time ever said "You've gained weight haven't you?"

Just curious, what was she eating? I am trying my damnedest to achieve a comparably Japanese-sized body.