Announcements and Forum Help! Requests for help, suggestions, and information. Also includes important Forum Announcements.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:51 PM   #1  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Default Posting pictures and "security"

I'm probably paranoid, but I haven't posted any pictures (either avatar or in the photo albums) because I'm worried that those pictures become public access and can be downloaded/searched and end up in places I don't want them to.

Have there been any cases of pictures on 3FC ending up on other websites (that you know of)?

Is there any way - other than not posting, of course - I can make sure my pics stay here?

I know I'm just being a nervous Nellie, but you hear all kinds of privacy warnings about the internet, and I really don't want a pic of me at my heaviest ending up as used as the "Before" shot in an ad for a miracle fat loss pill.

Thanks!
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 07:20 PM   #2  
it's always something

You have a valid concern. Any photos posted anywhere at all on the internet can and are lifted and used without permission, for anything from general info, creating false identities, to faking diet pill testimonials.

Actually, we just learned a couple of days ago that some of our members have had their photos lifted. The website they appeared on appears to have been hacked and the photos inserted on an inner page. Long story. I've notified the owners of that website and am awaiting their reply.

The photos in question were not posted on our forum as attachments, but were on photo hosting websites and just linked from here.

It would be impossible to guarantee that your photos would remain on this or any other website as it is impossible to prevent them from being lifted. Even if a website used a script to prevent a right click and save, anyone can do a screen shot and capture anything.

If you do want to share your photos and don't mind if the world sees them, you might consider watermarking them with some sort of text to protect yourself from them being used in fake testimonials. Something such as "weight loss through diet and exercise without diet pills or supplements" Just a thought
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 08:19 AM   #3  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Thanks for the info and help!
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote