General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2002, 10:32 AM   #1  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Thumbs down Prevention Millennium Diet #100

Prevention Millennium Diet*

Daily servings
veg and fruits, 9 servings ( 5 veg/4 fruit)
whole grains, 3-6 servings
high-calcium, 2-3 servings

Weekly servings:
Beans - 5+
Nuts - 5
Fish - 2

Serving Sizes

veg. & fruit
1 serving = 1/2 c. chopped fruit
1/2 c. cooked or raw veg.
1 c. raw green leaves
3/4 c. veg or fruit juice

Whole Grains
1 serving = 1 slice whole wheat bread
1/2 rice or bulgar
1/2 c whole wheat pasta

Calcium 1 serving = 1 c ff or 1% milk
1 c ff yogurt
1 c calcium fortified O.J.
1 oz. reduced ff cheese

Supplements
100% DV multivitamin/mineral
500 (under 50) to 1000 (over 50) mg. calcium
100-400 IU Vit. E
100-500 mg Vit. C

Keep calories to 1500 a day - 250 cal. per meal. Eat 6 small meals a day. Do not exceed
42 fat grams per day.

Drink 8 glasses water and 1+ cup of tea daily.

* Copied from the Jan. 2000 issue of Prevention Magazine.

Prevention Millennium Diet*

Daily servings
veg and fruits, 9 servings ( 5 veg/4 fruit)
whole grains, 3-6 servings
high-calcium, 2-3 servings

Weekly servings:
Beans - 5+
Nuts - 5
Fish - 2

Serving Sizes

veg. & fruit
1 serving = 1/2 c. chopped fruit
1/2 c. cooked or raw veg.
1 c. raw green leaves
3/4 c. veg or fruit juice

Whole Grains
1 serving = 1 slice whole wheat bread
1/2 rice or bulgar
1/2 c whole wheat pasta

Calcium 1 serving = 1 c ff or 1% milk
1 c ff yogurt
1 c calcium fortified O.J.
1 oz. reduced ff cheese

Supplements
100% DV multivitamin/mineral
500 (under 50) to 1000 (over 50) mg. calcium
100-400 IU Vit. E
100-500 mg Vit. C

Keep calories to 1500 a day - 250 cal. per meal. Eat 6 small meals a day. Do not exceed
42 fat grams per day.

Drink 8 glasses water and 1+ cup of tea daily.

* Copied from the Jan. 2000 issue of Prevention Magazine.

go to prevention.com and put diet into the search engine and it will take you to the diet in another click or two

the website gives more details on the diet
Old 11-09-2002, 10:43 AM   #2  
Chick

Default Recipes:

BFL Authorized Banan Bread/Muffins (I always double this recipe)

In medium bow combine:
3 TBS protein powder
1/2 C 100% Stone Ground Whole Wheat Flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
1/8 Tsp Baking soday
1/4 tsp cinnamon

In a small bowl combine:
1 medium banan (starting to turn brown) mashed
1 egg white
1/4 c unsweetened apple sauce

Add wet ingredients to dry. Stir until moistened. Divide batter into 2 mini-loaf pans and bake in oven at 350 for 2 minutes

OR...Put all batter into 1 mini-loaf pan and bake at 350 for 25 minutes

OR...Use a regular muffin pan and make 4 muffins. Bake at 350 for approximately 15 minutes.

this recipe makes 2 servings, so 1/2 of the batter is a meal. Each serving has 38g Carbs and 25g protein.

Pam's Chicken Soup

6 chicken breast
2 tomatoes
2 zuchinnis
2 yellow squash
4 carrots
4 individual celery stalks
4 potatoes
1 chopped onion
1 TBS chicken broth crystals
garlic pwder
salt
pepper

boil chicken until cooked. Cut into cubes. cut up veggies. Put everything into a large pot or Crock Pot and fill with water to just a bout 2 inches above veggies. Let cook on medium for a few hours. When cooked, pull out about 1/3 of the soup mixture and blend it in the blender. Pour the mixture back into the soup. This makes the soup seem thicker.

I use only 2 potatoes and drop in a 1/4 C brown rice that I keep cooked up in the fridge in each individual serving before zapping it in the microwave.
Old 11-10-2002, 11:45 PM   #3  

Default oiye...my achey breaky heart...

I had an adventure on Friday. I had to go to emergency and ended up staying overnight in Vancouver. I might have had a mini heart attack. They did a bunch of tests but didn't find anything.

I was in mass and went out, trying to get back to my car I fell down in the street, several people walked on by, I asked a guy going into church (mind you) to let me call an ambulance on his cell phone but Mr. in A VERY expensive suit said he didn't have a cell phone. Yeah, right...those business types don't have cell phones just kids and little old ladies, any way a good Samaritan came by and helped me and I got to the hospital where I was whisked past the whole waiting room of people to the head of the line and got a bed immediately. The staff in the emerg. were so KIND and wonderful in every way. It was worth the whole horrible experience just to meet so many nice people in one place.

But here am I at home and having lived through one of my worst fears "FAT PERSON COLLAPSING IN PUBLIC" fear and found out I could do it...no kidding this was my worse horror that I could imagine and I went through it.

But it was good for a 2 pound weight loss which helped redeem the day.

Back to dieting: The fibre one and blueberries sound great. Hmmm...that would probably be only a one point snack.

How are you enjoying your time by yourself, Alice? Nice, eh??
I am not going on the Dec. trip, I want to stay home and my FIL is going with the DH.

We are at a hundred Good for us!

ps: I am trying to give up coffee...2 cups this week, 1 cup a day next week, then following week 1/2 etc. until down to ZERO.

Last edited by judi; 11-11-2002 at 02:26 AM.
Old 11-11-2002, 06:16 AM   #4  
Chick

Default judi!!!!

Oh, I am so sorry! What did the Drs. say to you about this? I'm so sorry you had this experience. I am horrified that you weren't helped. Please take care of yourself.

What a sobering thing. When is DH next trip? I hope not really soon - please keep us posted on how this is going. Were you given medicine, did the Dr. recommend you give up coffee?

Alice, I hope you had a good weekend. Mine was very uneventful.
Old 11-11-2002, 07:27 AM   #5  

Angry Hi ledom & judi,

judi, OMG, I am glad that you are ok. What did the Dr. say caused you to collapse like that? Have you seen your PC Physician? If so, what did they tell you? What an awful experience for you to have to go through falling and that man would not help you. Please keep us informed. Did your Dr. recommend you give up coffee, or are you doing this all on your own? If you are experiencing any difficulty giving up caffiene, what helped me give it up once (I'm back drinking it again), was using 1/2 "real" coffee, and 1/2 decaf for awhile, then kept decreasing the "real" coffee until it was totally decaf. On a happier note, congratulations on your 2 lb. loss

ledom, well we are at #100 I had a nice 2 days by myself, just me & Miz Lacee. Did some shopping for me, on HSN I always watch HSN when Suzanne Somers is on, and I bought her bread machine to make my own bread. I'm trying stay away from sugar, and hydrogenated oils, and I can't seem to find any bread without any of these in them. I have been looking at the SB site and combine it with the WW points, so I'll see if it is at all possible to do so.

Yesterday DH & I went shopping, and I found a black leather blazer, originally priced at $200.00, on sale for 1/2 off, plus another 15%, I believe and it got it for $85.00. . I love it. I've been looking for something like it for quite sometime.

Later this morning I am meeting a cousin for lunch. We haven't seen each other for quite sometime even though we don't live very far from one another.

Take care and have a great day.
Old 11-11-2002, 09:55 PM   #6  

Default coffee

No one told me to quit coffee but I think it might have something to do with the whatever it was "the incident"...because when I had another coffee after I was out of the hospital I sort felt that pain (not sharp but really intense, sort of like if you swallowed ground glass) start up a bit...eek! I also have quit cold turkey cola pops (pepsi & coke) haven't found an alternative though. What do you drink instead now Ledom?

That is a good idea about the coffee Alice. I will do that.

Shopping from home is fun isn't it! I love it, I haven't bought anything off of the tv yet but I love computer shopping. Enjoy your purchases Alice!

Ledom last night for a snack I had Kashi (good friends variety) and blueberries. It was good.

I won't see my own Dr. ( I have to go get my hair streaked...priorities) until next week. I didn't get any meds because they could not say for sure what was. Women if they have heart attacks often don't have the same symptoms often as men so sometimes the attacks are missed or misdiagnosed. I saw a thing on tv about it. Today though I felt a bit nervous going to mass on my own. My DH went with me on the weekend. But I feel a bit scared now, I was prepared Aspirin, cell phone etc.

Estaban now knows his name and comes when I call. He is so cute.

My DH isn't going until the end of the month. I really want to stay home and do Christmas things.
Old 11-11-2002, 10:23 PM   #7  
Chick

Default judi,

just remember your priority is your health girl!!!! Don't wait too long to see your Doc. I am thinking about you.

All is well here. I am in the midst of filling out a huge long application for a promotion at work. Academe can be especially cruel when it comes to this type thing so it has me filled with stress. I handle it like I usually handle these things, by worrying and procrastinating about getting things together until the very last minute. I will feel SO relieved when I get it finished. I have toiled on it all weekend and am still at it. I am making progress, but want to be finished and to forget about it. I won't find out any results until spring.

judi, I am so glad you have Estaban. I couldn't do w/out my kitties. As I type, Miss Bea is sitting in my lap and purring. Computer time is our time together.

Well girls, next Wed. will be my 49th b'day. My friends are cooking supper for me on Sat. Thank god Sat. is free day. Not sure how I'll handle my actual b'day out w/ M and D. I have been SO GOOD on this diet. I don't want to break it.

Alice, cool about your leather jacket. If the 3 of us ever got together I know exactly what we'd have to do. SHOP. If you came here I'd take you to TJMaxx. My absolute weekly place to get my shopping fix.

Take care girls.
Old 11-12-2002, 11:42 AM   #8  

Angry Hey ledom & judi,

My weigh in did not go very well this morning only down .2 lb. (2/10ths). I think I'll have to go back to my eating the 0 point soup more often, and my snack at night s/f jello with Cool-Whip, instead of the 4 pt. ice cream.

I did get my exercise in today. When I came home from WW, DH was out mowing the lawn & downed leaves. So I got my trusty rake and we were raking for about 1/2 hr. - 45 min. I hope I'll be able to move tomorrow.

judi, I am in total agreement with ledom, your health should be your first priority. Get yourself to the Dr. soon Caffiene can cause problems. I am thinking about you too! I'm glad that Estaban is a joy to you. I miss my kitties terribly. We had one that gave the best massages. You'd lay on your stomach and she would jump on your back and knead away(she didn't have claws). She was a indoor cat, I never let her out. She was a stray that wound up on our doorstep, and she was the most affectionate cat I've ever encountered.

ledom, good luck with your application, I hate filling things out. I've got my fingers crossed that you'll hear great news in the spring A happy early birthday to you! Would Wed. be too early for a free day for you? You won't mess anything up. You have come so far.
Old 11-13-2002, 03:23 AM   #9  

Default Yes, Happy Birthday girl!!

I too wish you the BEST birthday!

I PROMISE I will go see my doctor, honest!

Alice, a kitty that gave massages now that is what I would like too.

I did some gentle walking on the treadmill today. I am going to try to keep it up. Good for you for all that leaf raking Alice. There must be some exercise points there.

Ledom, I too hate filling out BIG, IMPORTANT documents...it takes me forever because I am over careful and then make some kind of mistake (like misspelling my own name) because I am being so cautious. That is tres cool that you are being considered for a promotion or advancement. Now, that is exciting news!!!

Alice, how many points are in a sugarless no fat pudding with light Whip? How big a portion do you usually have? Do you know that in Canada we do not have all the nutritional info that you have in the US. IF it is there it also has to be in both French and English. I love the US groceries for having it all on the package, I am an avid label reader. I even read the labels of groceries I have no intention of buying.

A couple of days without cola now. What are you drinking instead Ledom?

Estaban will usually sit quietly in DH's lap when he is on the computer but he likes to walk around on my keyboard. I love it when he falls asleep amongst the junk on my desk. THere is something so nice about a cat sleeping on the desk while you are working away.

It is about 12:30 at night here so I had better go. Have a great morning ladies
Old 11-13-2002, 06:19 AM   #10  
Chick

Default Hey,

judi - after posting yesterday I realized I forgot to tell you what I am drinking now. You won't believe it! I drink WATER! That's about it too. I do have a cup of coffee in the morning - I might drink iced tea if I weren't too lazy to make it.

One thing I noticed this weekend. The ONLY time I miss diet coke is when I am eating something junky on free day. As I suspected DC was part of some bad eating patterns. Kind of like when people trying to stop smoking have their weakest moments when they drink alcohol. Not very glamorous, huh? The diet requires lots of water and I just gave into it. I do like water though.
On freeday I have been drinking apple cider and milk, but the cider is too sugary for any other time. No milk on this diet either - that is also because of the sugar, not the fat as you might think.

Thanks for the early b'day wishes.

Alice, do try not to let the 2/10 of a lb. get you down. You are, after all going in the right direction. My weight loss was in the fractions last week too. All that I read says that as soon as I make some more muscle and finish burning off a little more fat the lbs. will start falling off. Well, that hasn't happened yet, but I am keeping the faith.

Still haven't done my workout so I'd better get with it. Have a good day!
Old 11-13-2002, 07:03 AM   #11  

Angry Good morning girls,

I am able to move this morning I can feel twinges in my back, shoulders, & arms, but nothing major.

ledom, thank you for your encouragement. I am trying not to let the .2 lb. get me down, at least I didn't gain. I have eliminated my ice cream snack at night and have gone back to my s/f jello. Do you have to count sugar grams in the BFL WOE? I have been into the Sugar Busters site, and a lot of people have been doing it along with WW and are having good results. It's a plan like the Somersizing I was doing awhile back, where you cut out sugars in any shape, way, or form. You can drink milk though. I am slowly incorprating that into my WW. Speaking of water, yesterday at my WW meeting, the leader was talking about drinking water and said that if you can't stand water that you can drink the flavored waters, or Crystal Light in place of plain water. Works for me!

judi, glad to see that you are exercising. Do you have any episodes while on the treadmill, or just when you have caffiene?
1/2 cup of the Jello s/f pudding, made with skim milk, is 1 pt., the chocolate is 2 pts. 2 T. Cool Whip is 1 pt. Here is a recipe I got when I joined WW. It says it's 3 pts., but by my calculations, it's 4 pt. Take 1/2 c. each chocolate & vanilla f/f, s/f, pudding, layer it in a parfait glass, (1/4 cup each at a time) and top with 2 T. fat-free, (I use the lite) Cool Whip & a maraschino cherry. I have found for some reason, WW keeps changing their point values.

Have a great day.

Last edited by aleka; 11-13-2002 at 07:06 AM.
Old 11-14-2002, 06:25 PM   #12  
Chick

Default It's awfully

quiet here today. Hope you girls are doing ok and having a good day.

I was home today. Got my hair cut, did a little shopping , cooked a little. I even got a kayak trip in this a.m.

Well, not much to report. I want to lose a LOT of weight. Trying not to be impatient.

Judi, I think light treadmilling is probably a good idea.
Old 11-15-2002, 05:05 PM   #13  

Angry Hey ledom & judi

It's been quiet here these past few days. We are gearing up for a big storm over the weekend. Usually these are the ones that don't materialize. Hopefully it will be the case with this one too.

I just got home a little while ago from shopping. I met my GF for lunch and some Christmas Shopping. A couple of the stores in the mall were having good sales. I am just about done except for DH and IL's.

How short did you have your hair cut, ledom? Do you like it? That's great you got a kayaking trip in. Pretty soon you will have to bundle up.

judi, how are you doing?

Have a great weekend.
Old 11-16-2002, 08:59 AM   #14  
Chick

Default Hey guys,

Alice, did you get your storm?

It is cold and windy here today, but the sun is shining.

I had a good shopping trip at TJMaxx this week. I don't usually do this, but I did buy an all weather coat that is just a bit too snug. I know I'll fit into it soon! Actually it does button or I wouldn't have. It is such a great coat at a great price. It is an XL, and I'm really wearing a 1X these days.

The scale was good to me this week, 1 1/2 lbs. - last week it was only a .25 of a lb. I suspect it to continue like this. I just finished my 7th week and I've lost 12 lbs. I think that is probably pretty good.

My friends are kind enough to have a dinner for me tonight for my upcoming b'day. SO glad it is free day cause these folks can cook. I am looking forward to it. Wed. my M and D will take me out. I am going to hold out for this really nice steak house here in town. I think I can do my b'd on program and still have a very nice meal out.

An upcoming family crisis is brewing. My mother's sister, who lives in Alabama, is not doing well at all. My mother really wants to go visit her and I have offered to drive her down. We may go during the Thanksgiving break, or we could wait until Christmas break if she continues to improve. It is up in the air now. That will prove a real challenge to me dietwise. It'll just be hard to schedule my food and get my workouts in. All the time I am thinking of this I also think what a selfish thought! I will work it out no matter what.

judi - I hope you are just busy. Write when you get a minute cause I'm tending to worry about you when I don't hear from you.
Old 11-16-2002, 10:40 AM   #15  

Angry A snowy Sat. morning,

ledom, congratulations on your weight loss Good job! Kudos on the coat! I bet you're really happy being into a smaller size. I am so sorry about your Aunt. I hope it's not too serious. No, it's not selfish of you to think about your eating and exercising. You really are seeing great results and you don't want to jepordize anything. Also, you do have a free day within that holiday break. You will work something out.

We are having some light snow already. But, I don't think it is part of the storm we are supposed to get. They are saying it will start later this afternoon into tomorrow, and from what they are telling us, we will have ice..ice..ice.. A good day for curling up with a good book.

I had a great day shopping yesterday. My GF & I got some tremendous buys at one of the major dept. stores in our area. I bought a gift for a friend that was originally marked at $30.00, and I got it for around $13.50. It is a set of 2 porcelin vases, with holly leaves around them, and green ribbon woven through the slats ontop. They really are very cute.

Enjoy your dinner that your friends are cooking for you and have a great time.

judi, I hope everything is ok with you. Like ledom, I hope the reason we haven't heard from you is that you are busy.

Bye for now.
Closed Thread