Weight Loss Support - Am I The ONLY One??

View Full Version : Am I The ONLY One??

pointspluspioneer
11-18-2010, 09:22 AM
Am i the only one that diets and changes their ways, exercises and constantly thinks about their weight and NEVER loses an ounce? What's the secret, i read all sorts of people with success by just cutting down, exercising and so on. I'm doing all of that and staying to the same ounce on the scale. What gives?? Thanks!

TheBunneh
11-18-2010, 09:33 AM
Are you tracking how many calories you are eating? It doesn't matter what diet you go on if you're not burning more calories than you are taking in.

pointspluspioneer
11-18-2010, 09:38 AM
Hi,
Yup, i track, i know what calories are now being on ww so many times lol.
I eat between 1200-1300/day. Maybe not enough some say but when i add, i gain weight.

Mickeypnd
11-18-2010, 09:42 AM
are you burning up more then your taking in. like say you eat 1300 calories a day, and you work out and burn about 300, your body is only running on 1000 calories, which we all know isn't good.

Eliana
11-18-2010, 09:45 AM
I would like to know what makes up your calories, how long have you been doing this, and what kind of exercise are you doing?

My plan works best when I eat whole foods, limited processed stuff, heavy on the veggie and light on the carbs. Ideally my lunches and dinners are lean meats and two sides of veggies. Dessert is fruit. My breakfast is generally eggs or yogurt or FiberOne cereal or a combination of those.

Cardio is great for fat loss. Are you getting in enough cardio? Strength training is awesome for many, many things, but it can mess with the scale. That's ok as long as you understand and have patience for the good things it is doing. The scale is not always your friend when losing weight.

I firmly believe that weight loss is 80% diet and only 20% exercise. I exercise for my health and eat for weight loss.

nelie
11-18-2010, 10:28 AM
I agree, how long have you been doing it? Are you taking measurements?

mkroyer
11-18-2010, 10:28 AM
HOW are you tracking your food? HOW do you know you are taking in only 1200 a day? Are you weighing your food with a digital scale? Are you eyeballing portions of chicken and not *counting* broccolli? SOme people consider veggies to be "free" and if i remember correctly, i believe weight watchers is one of those programs...believe me, veggies have calories! Are you accounting for every bite, lick and taste (alot of times, we dont...myself included!) DO you nibble while you cook? Use PAM cooking spray and splenda and sugar free gum and NOT count these things? They all have calories. If you arent being accurate, honest, and dilligent with EVERYTHING that goes in your mouth (im not saying you arent, but we are all human) than you could easily be consuming hundreds more than you realize! STOP STOP STOP using measuring cups, if you are. WEIGH your food! It will be an eye opener if youve been relying on measuring cups..

smisen
11-18-2010, 11:33 AM
Definitely agree with all of the above posts, but also - how good is your scale? I started out with a really cheap one and got frustrated when it only fluctuated between two specific numbers. Made me think that I wasn't losing any weight until I realized my clothes were looser. I went out and bought a nicer scale that's much more accurate now :)

19Deltawifey
11-18-2010, 12:05 PM
No your not the only one, I've been around the same weight all summer and just recently I have been tweaking and losing very slooowly but thats fine my clothes are getting loose and my stomach is getting smaller and my thighs are getting hard. So I'm losing inches just not pounds right now. What I started doing this week was running intervals 3 times a week, eating more protein (150g), and lifting heavy weights. I've only been doing this for 2 weeks now and its working, its just not showing on the scale. Patience is the key. My scale is also not accurate, thank goodness my tanita scale will be arriving today but it flucuates way too much and I could be losing weight but with this scale I will never know but my clothes are fitting better.

KenzideRhae
11-18-2010, 12:22 PM
How long have you been doing this? It might just take awhile to show up on the scale. Also, definitely start measuring inches, especially your bust-waist-hip measurements and your thighs. Some people will lose whole dress sizes without losing any weight on the scale, so inches are a great thing to track progress with.

sacha
11-18-2010, 12:33 PM
If nothing is changing, the something is not being done right - whether it is actually still eating too much (most likely for the average person) or there is some sort of medical condition (less likely but can happen) - something is off.

As I have said to someone else on here... your body does not defy the law of physics :) There IS a solution, you just haven't found it yet.

pointspluspioneer
11-18-2010, 12:35 PM
Thank you all for responding and great advice.

A little background that i wasn't too clear earlier in my first post. My weight only goes down when i'm upset like with my bad breakup in '98 i was 245 and lost 70 lbs. (i know not healthy). A few years ago i lost almost 25 with another break up which was '07. My father had a lung transplant 11/08 and i was at 183 and unhappy (i'd take it now!) Slowly as time has gone by, new bf that i live with that is an eater my weight has crept up to 200. I was 190 for a very long time.

Then i was KILLING myself at the gym. Doing spin class 3-4 times a week, step, arc machine, sculpt weights and so on. Since my father's digress AND buying a house i've been off my path. It's like i don't know how to diet or do it right anymore :mad: I was so into the gym i wouldn't do anything else before a good workout. Anyways, so getting back on track, i feel i eat the standard same day to know the calories. I have a light multi grain eng. muffin with p.butter for breakfast, green apple for snack, salad with chix or lean cuisine for lunch, nuts for snack and a light lowfat dinner.

I never beleive what stress could do to the body, i'm on melatonin at night and my belly fat from cortisol is awful, never had a belly, always was bottom heavy :(

pointspluspioneer
11-18-2010, 12:43 PM
As I have said to someone else on here... your body does not defy the law of physics :) There IS a solution, you just haven't found it yet.

I read that other thread, lots of good advice on there, i read your advice and i agree :)

Eliana
11-18-2010, 12:46 PM
Stress has the opposite affect on me, and many of us. It SOUNDS like you lost during stressful times because you lost your appetite. If you are stressed now AND dieting at the same time, it's possible the stress is holding you back to some extent. I don't know. I've always gained weight during stressful times in my life.

I used to kill myself at the gym too. My routine sounded similar to yours. To combat that problem, because it was a problem, I ended up creating a baseline of must-do activity for myself. It's an easy routine I've established that I can fall back on when exercise gets too hard. For me that's spinning M/W/F and lifting T/TH. I go in the morning for an hour 5:30-6:30 every day. I also enjoy running, but only sometimes. Eventually there always comes a day where I just can not run any more because I simply don't want to and/or can't face another day of it. I don't look forward to running. It's the afterglow I'm after! :D In the past when this happened I'd just give up altogether; all or nothing. Now I return to baseline.

Your meals sound light on veggies to me.

You've told us a lot about what you WERE doing. Aside from food though, what else is going on? What exercise are you engaging in now? And I still don't understand how long you've been trying this time around. If you started straight out with diet AND exercise, it's possible your body is saying, "Hold on there a minute!" I see you registered in November. So has it only been a few weeks or have you been trying to lose prior to posting?

Eliana
11-18-2010, 12:46 PM
I read that other thread, lots of good advice on there, i read your advice and i agree :)

Um...you're taking the criticism very well. ;) As intended!! :D

TheBunneh
11-18-2010, 12:53 PM
Do you actually weigh and measure your food, and write down the calories? It can be actually very easy to get more calories than you think because you don't realize how much you have. A tablespoon of peanut butter is easy to underestimate, and an apple can pack quite a few calories in it depending on the size.

I've tried to just keep a tally of calories in my head before, but it really didn't work for me until I started logging everything and being really honest about the portions. Not to say you aren't! But it's just an idea. =)

pointspluspioneer
11-18-2010, 01:55 PM
I should weigh my food again, i used to weigh every crumb. I've basically been watching what i eat since i was 15. I've been back on somewhat track for several weeks/months now. I know the areas i could do better. Your right, more veggies i do need. I'm totally a carb person which is bad! I think when i got discouraged is when i joined ww for SEVERAL months and plateaued after 4 lbs. I tracked every crumb in my mouth one week and stayed the same for the next two weeks. My body just won't let go is my fear :(

Thank you Eliana, i do take it well, that's what we are here for right? No one is out to bash another. That other thread got way out of hand with the defensiveness!!

beerab
11-18-2010, 02:06 PM
You could be eating too many carbs- that does it for me.

Also- I would try 1400-1500 calories and see how that works for you- we are about the same weight and when I ate 1200-1300 calories the scale did NOT budge.

I didn't see it but did you say you are exercising? If you are then 1200-1300 is definitely too low. And water water water- you need plenty of it- that hurts me too.

Rosinante
11-18-2010, 02:07 PM
Carb doesn't have to be bad! I've just changed onto a higher carb diet for the winter months, and it has given me a bit of a kick off the same couple of pounds I was going up and down. Of course, it could also be that with trying something new, I'm concentrating more on the weighing and measuring too.
:hug: and good luck!

Harsdottir
11-18-2010, 02:14 PM
Trouble shooting points:

How is your sleep?
Lack of sleep contributes to a rise in cortisol which promotes weight gain

Is your strength training really intense?
You could be building muscle which will add weight to a scale. You could be retaining water, from the muscle use which also adds weight

What's your sodium intake?
too much salt in your diet makes you apt to hold water

What's your cardio like?
The cardio you do has to be real. You mentioned sculpting, but how are you feeling as you do that cardio? If you are not out of breath, sweating heavily or showing signs of exertion, you may not be working hard enough. I know that is hard to hear, but it's happened to me and many others. Your body ajusts to certian work outs and they are not as effective. taking lots of breaks also reduces the calorie burn because your body recovers and slows down its fuel use.

How do you count calories?
Splenda, veggies, bites of chocolate, ONE gumdrop, a small fruit ALL have calories. you could be padding your diet with these things. Its important to weigh, measure, and record every single little thing you put in your mouth. A PLAIN black dunkin donuts coffee can be as much as 15 calories. Nope that's not a lot until you become a 4 cup a day person like me. Then suddenly you realize you are drinking nearly 100 calories worth of coffee. Accuracy is almost anal retentive, but you must realize that your body tallies that accurately. Think of the accuracy of your body temperature. If you are even two degree's above normal you begin to feel hot or even feverish. That is how accurate your diet needs to be, because YOUR BODY KNOWS WHAT ITS EATING even if you forget.

Are you eating too little/going into starvation mode?
1200 calories sounds really low if you are exercising as much as you report. You may have inadvertently slowed your own metabolism. Cut back on the exercise for one week and see what happens. Record the results daily by weigh ins and see if you see some pound slippage. If that doesnt work, maintain the same exercise schedule but increase the calories by 100 a day for one week and record daily. All of this is called "tweaking" and you may need to do a lot of that to figure out what your body wants. It may need a physical break or it may need more food.

What are you eating?
your body may be holding on to fat, because the minerals that are contained in that fat are no longer being supplied in your diet. Make sure you are taking vitamins and protein to replenish what may be missing. The most common lacks are: Vitamin D, B12, Iron, Zinc and Calcium. Check your cravings and they may give you a clue to what vitamin you lack. 1200 calories is so low and if you are eating TV dinner's they don't have all of the trace minerals you need.

pointspluspioneer
11-18-2010, 03:02 PM
Trouble shooting points:

How is your sleep?
Lack of sleep contributes to a rise in cortisol which promotes weight gain

Sleep is bad, up alot at night, started taking melatonin nightly.

Is your strength training really intense?
You could be building muscle which will add weight to a scale. You could be retaining water, from the muscle use which also adds weight

Depending on the body part i usually do 40 - 120 lbs, depending upper/lower

What's your sodium intake?
too much salt in your diet makes you apt to hold water

I know my dinners (lean cusine) are high in salt, i have swollen fingers.

What's your cardio like?
The cardio you do has to be real. You mentioned sculpting, but how are you feeling as you do that cardio? If you are not out of breath, sweating heavily or showing signs of exertion, you may not be working hard enough. I know that is hard to hear, but it's happened to me and many others. Your body ajusts to certian work outs and they are not as effective. taking lots of breaks also reduces the calorie burn because your body recovers and slows down its fuel use.

Arc trainer, treadmill on highest incline 3.3, stair master, i did in the past alot of spinning classes

How do you count calories?
Splenda, veggies, bites of chocolate, ONE gumdrop, a small fruit ALL have calories. you could be padding your diet with these things. Its important to weigh, measure, and record every single little thing you put in your mouth. A PLAIN black dunkin donuts coffee can be as much as 15 calories. Nope that's not a lot until you become a 4 cup a day person like me. Then suddenly you realize you are drinking nearly 100 calories worth of coffee. Accuracy is almost anal retentive, but you must realize that your body tallies that accurately. Think of the accuracy of your body temperature. If you are even two degree's above normal you begin to feel hot or even feverish. That is how accurate your diet needs to be, because YOUR BODY KNOWS WHAT ITS EATING even if you forget.

I need to be more conscious of the little bites or picking at foods here and there.

Are you eating too little/going into starvation mode?
1200 calories sounds really low if you are exercising as much as you report. You may have inadvertently slowed your own metabolism. Cut back on the exercise for one week and see what happens. Record the results daily by weigh ins and see if you see some pound slippage. If that doesnt work, maintain the same exercise schedule but increase the calories by 100 a day for one week and record daily. All of this is called "tweaking" and you may need to do a lot of that to figure out what your body wants. It may need a physical break or it may need more food.

I probably should eat more calories but mentally it's hard as i easily gain.

What are you eating?
your body may be holding on to fat, because the minerals that are contained in that fat are no longer being supplied in your diet. Make sure you are taking vitamins and protein to replenish what may be missing. The most common lacks are: Vitamin D, B12, Iron, Zinc and Calcium. Check your cravings and they may give you a clue to what vitamin you lack. 1200 calories is so low and if you are eating TV dinner's they don't have all of the trace minerals you need.

I crave chocolate and chips type foods alot :(

SCraver
11-18-2010, 03:37 PM
I crave chocolate and chips type foods alot :(

Chocolate = I like lindt 80% cocoa or even 65% cocoa. I find just a small piece of that satisfies a craving b/c it is so dark.

Chips = I like the brand "Food Should Taste Good". If you can control yourself to have only one serving, they are about 140 calories for 10 - 12 chips. Which doesn't SOUND like a lot, but the chips are very satisfying to me. "The Works" and "multigrain" have lots of bits and seeds in them. They are hearty chips with a bit of protein and fiber. I smear my laughing cow wedge on them and had an indulgent crunchy snack for only 175 calories.