Cooking Tips and Questions - help, how to make yummy rice?

View Full Version : help, how to make yummy rice?

couponmom85
11-17-2010, 11:27 PM
i need help.
i need ways to make brown rice taste good.
i have some of the boil in a bag stuff and i don't know how to season it.

i get cooking it in chicken broth, but what else can i add?

or what can i put rice in? any recipes?

thanks

mandalinn82
11-17-2010, 11:36 PM
I usually don't eat it with seasonings, but all kinds of herbs can be added, depending on what you are serving with.

First off, I always use chicken broth, and I always bake it using Alton Brown's method. It's easy, hands-off, and you can use cheaper bulk brown rice, instead of the pricier boil-in-bag stuff:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/baked-brown-rice-recipe/index.html

If I was serving with a stirfry, I usually leave it plain, with sauce in the stirfry soaking in it really doesn't need much else. This is probably the way we use it most frequently.

For Mexican-style dishes, you can add cumin, chili powder, fresh garlic and onion, or even a little saffron.

You can flavor with lemon and a bit of thyme, and some parmesan. Put the thyme in while it's baking, add a little lemon zest tossed in at the end. Some garlic would be good here, too.

couponmom85
11-18-2010, 12:45 AM
yeah the boil in the bag stuff cost me $0.10 lol
i have some regular brown rice i got for $0.05
(i love my coupons lol)
oh thanks for those tips, they sound good :)
I'll have to try that link, i love the stuff he makes.

nelie
11-18-2010, 08:09 AM
I've never heard of boil in the bag rice. I usually make brown rice as it is, just water. The stuff I serve with it tends to be flavorful such as nicely spiced lentils served on top.

stellarwbz
11-18-2010, 08:54 AM
This is the best rice I've ever had. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Armenian-Rice-Pilaf/Detail.aspx

I cut the recipe in half and use fat free low sodium chicken broth.

devnet
07-12-2011, 04:28 PM
It sound really weird, I know, but make some plain rice, put in some margarine or butter...and a bit of plain old white vinegar. Or lemon juice, whichever...either way, tastes amazing. But then, I've always been told I'm nuts, lol.

fatgyrl
07-15-2011, 01:51 PM
1. I love brown rice hate fooling with it.... until I got a second hand rice cooker, now it is the easiest thing in the world to make. One way I like is to throw in a capfull or three of Tex-Mex seasoning and some chopped onion, and sometimes canned diced tomatoes.

2. I have MSG FREE soup bases that I use depending on the meal and the same company, Peoples Pantry (in Canada) has veggie flakes (another soup thing) I also add.

3. I fry it in my wok (the trick to fried rice is to start with cooked CHILLED rice) when I fry rice I add soy sauce a scrambled egg and chopped up whatever I happen to have on hand.

4. My mother used to cook it with chopped apples and raisins and eat it like breakfast cereal, that works too.