Atkins - 14lbs Difference!!

View Full Version : 14lbs Difference!!

SaskNewfie
11-17-2010, 03:21 PM
Too bad it's in the wrong direction...lol. Yeah, I've been struggling over the past few months with staying on plan. I have an application on my iPod that keeps track of my weight and from last January until July it shows a nice downward slope on the graph. However, from July 1st until now, it's like a heart monitor...except they are slowly creeping higher and higher on an upward slope. I blame my sister's bbq on Canada Day for screwing things up! lol

I was only one pound from my goal...I went from 270 down to 226...and crashed! A couple days ago I tipped the scales at 240 and knew I had to get a grip now!

So, it's day 3 and I'm back down 3...i guess the title should read "11lbs difference". I know it's not the end of the world, but it's so damn easy to become complacent and figure it's ok to cheat every now and then. I've been cheating every now and then for 4 1/2 months...that sure is a lot longer than the ONE DAY I intended!

Anyway, just wanted to stop by to say hi and vent a bit...

Jason

SaskNewfie
11-17-2010, 03:22 PM
Oh, one more thing...I ain't touching my tracker! lol In 3 weeks I'll be back down there anyway!!

Linsy
11-17-2010, 03:45 PM
Good thing you're getting back on track now before it's too late and you're back at your starting weight. Good luck to you! I'm getting nervous for the holidays because I know I'm going to want "one scoop of stuffing" or "a small slice of cheesecake" and I need to learn to stop myself before it turns into a carb binge lol!

beerab
11-17-2010, 05:17 PM
I hear it- I was down to 191.5 then after changing up some meds I gained 13.5 lbs. I was pretty mad, I got off the medication and now I'm still up 9.5 lbs, I hate having a setback in my weight loss efforts!

BellaLucia
11-17-2010, 05:55 PM
I've been struggling since a buffet in early November but no more! Let's do this together!

fatmad
11-17-2010, 07:38 PM
its the addiction we carry..... Had 5 fries and a couple of onion rings yesterday, and have been craving carbs terribly all day. Fortunately, have managed to stay on plan. A couple of days ago I hadn't had a craving in long enough to think I had it licked. But WRONG. I can't take the carbs in moderation, just can't do it either Jason. You can do it. Good luck.

SaskNewfie
11-18-2010, 11:23 AM
It's strange how those cravings work...even though I feel better on low-carb and am in a better mood on low-carb, there's still something that lets me jump off track and binge on high-carb junk.

maggiemaye
11-18-2010, 01:13 PM
Thats awesome you caught yourself...and back on track..Congrats!!!!

I do fooled around back and forth for months....2 weeks strong this time...only 5 pounds down in 2 weeks, I am so frustrated...grrr! but giving it a month, then dont know what I will do....I lost 70 pounds yrs ago and kept all but 25 pounds off, I have played with this same 25 pounds, for a yr. up and down....

I am with y 'all, lets DO IT!

SaskNewfie
11-20-2010, 07:53 AM
Thanks for the encouragement! Day 6 again and I've gotten rid if 5 of those evil pounds...9 more to get back to my lowest and 10 to finally get to the goal I shouldve reached in July...

fatBgone07
12-06-2010, 05:56 PM
Hey -I'm with ya! Went off for Thanksgiving and my b-day (Dec 1). Back on now. If i don't get back on plan right now, the x-mas holiday goodies will wreak havok no doubt. My son is in a madrigal dinner this weekend. I can't eat much on the menu and it is $25/plate! ahhh I have not gotten on the scale - I know I have gained and that is all I need to know for now - otherwise will get too down. So- back at it! Let's do this!

SaskNewfie
02-23-2011, 08:09 AM
As an update, I added 7 more pounds to my gained weight (21 in total). This time i changed my tracker to reflect it...makes me more accountable...lol. I entered the Easter challenge...hopefully that motivates me!

firkindness
02-23-2011, 09:47 PM
This is a great time of year to get in the swing of things! I think the promise of spring and warmer weather (and shorter pants) is a real motivator. Of course, I'm in Montana and we're looking at -19 tonight. But still, spring will come - even in Canada! Until then, enjoy the health benefits of all that anaerobic shivering!

Violet73
02-24-2011, 06:51 PM
As an update, I added 7 more pounds to my gained weight (21 in total). This time i changed my tracker to reflect it...makes me more accountable...lol. I entered the Easter challenge...hopefully that motivates me!

I remember how great you did last year when we were all here together! you can do it again...don't cheat :)

SaskNewfie
02-25-2011, 01:29 PM
I remember how great you did last year when we were all here together! you can do it again...don't cheat :)

It's funny, I have an ipod app that has a weight tracker in it. I compared my current weight to what I was a year ago and it's identical. On the bright side, I didn't get back up to the 270lbs i was last year when I started. Whatever way I look at it, I'm still 23lbs lighter that 13 months ago...just a few lbs heavier than where I was 6 months ago. Now, if I can only keep my wife from baking choc chip cookies!

Violet73
02-25-2011, 10:27 PM
It's funny, I have an ipod app that has a weight tracker in it. I compared my current weight to what I was a year ago and it's identical. On the bright side, I didn't get back up to the 270lbs i was last year when I started. Whatever way I look at it, I'm still 23lbs lighter that 13 months ago...just a few lbs heavier than where I was 6 months ago. Now, if I can only keep my wife from baking choc chip cookies!

LOL at the cookies! I just found a recipe for "chocolate clouds" that I'm gonna try. If you want it I can post it here for ya...hopefully nobody will gripe at me here for doing that :p I go to another forum now that it is VERY supportive and is mostly low carb people... I do come here for the Biggest Loser thread and other ones though. I saw your name and it was familiar so I popped in here. I think it's awesome that you didn't gain back up to your start weight! you are doing great. I feel better doing low carb. I wish I would have stuck with it last year :(

SaskNewfie
02-26-2011, 04:42 PM
LOL at the cookies! I just found a recipe for "chocolate clouds" that I'm gonna try. If you want it I can post it here for ya...hopefully nobody will gripe at me here for doing that :p I go to another forum now that it is VERY supportive and is mostly low carb people... I do come here for the Biggest Loser thread and other ones though. I saw your name and it was familiar so I popped in here. I think it's awesome that you didn't gain back up to your start weight! you are doing great. I feel better doing low carb. I wish I would have stuck with it last year :(

I think I'll always have that risk of falling off track...I could prob compare myself to any other addict. Sometimes, just the smell of something will cause me to snap. It gets very challenging when you're scooping out choc chip and cookie dough ice cream for the little one! lol

Yes, if that is a low carb recipe I'd love to have a look at it. I have no idea if there'll be issues posting it...perhaps you could pm it to me to be safe? My only worry is that eating artificially sweetened foods will make me crave sweetened foods. I'd def have to be cautious...

Thanks!

Violet73
02-27-2011, 09:05 AM
Hey! I sent you a PM!

SaskNewfie
02-27-2011, 12:27 PM
Hey! I sent you a PM!

Got it...thanks!

Deena52
02-27-2011, 03:23 PM
Hey!! It's Jason, right? I'm going to be really embarrassed if it's the wrong name.:D My memory's not what it used to be (just one of many things that are not what they used to be).:o

The cardinal rule for me is don't cheat. It's the only way I can manage....the reason I chose Atkins in the first place. I just cannot limit or control simple carbs....esp. my nemesis....SUGAR. I'm like an alcoholic who loses ALL judgment when I have any......and deluding myself that I can control it or can stop when I want to is just that....deluding myself.

I don't exactly know why...or know what sort of metabolic aberration I have....but I just know that I have the problem. Unfortunately for me....it has to be all or none. The upside is that I don't have to constantly worry about gaining, not fitting into my clothes, etc. I've come to the realization that the trade-off is completely worth it.

****, nothing is free, right? There's a price to pay for everything.

Seriously, just make a list of foods that are triggering for you, that you have difficulty controlling and limiting, and that seem to persistently get you into trouble. And then just avoid them as much as you possibly can.

deena :hug::)

SaskNewfie
02-27-2011, 03:35 PM
Yes, it's Jason...I guess some things are the way they should be...hahaha! I know what you mean...if I sneak a carb filled snack, that turns into about a dozen empty wrappers on the counter. I'd binge like a madman...I'd eat two boxes of my wife's 100 calorie snacks, 3 packs of bear paws, a bag of choc coated almonds and any other snack that isn't tied down. I'll lose control for a week straight! Each binge I'd convince myself that this will be the last bite and I'd get back on track tomorrow. These tomorrows would drag out for weeks and months until I'm 21lbs heavier and feeling like crap. Like you, I dint think I can safely add carbs back...all or none!

Violet73
02-27-2011, 09:14 PM
Yes, it's Jason...I guess some things are the way they should be...hahaha! I know what you mean...if I sneak a carb filled snack, that turns into about a dozen empty wrappers on the counter. I'd binge like a madman...I'd eat two boxes of my wife's 100 calorie snacks, 3 packs of bear paws, a bag of choc coated almonds and any other snack that isn't tied down. I'll lose control for a week straight! Each binge I'd convince myself that this will be the last bite and I'd get back on track tomorrow. These tomorrows would drag out for weeks and months until I'm 21lbs heavier and feeling like crap. Like you, I dint think I can safely add carbs back...all or none!

gosh you sound just like me ! Maybe the low carb goodies like chocolate clouds will keep me from doing that....if I only eat one a day! I have to keep the control! you can do this :)

sandyfanny
02-28-2011, 09:24 AM
Jason, I'm glad you're back on plan. The struggle not to binge is so hard when we're not eating well. Apparently, anything that only TASTES sweet - regardless of the source - can trigger a binge. I can binge on sugar-free, artificially sweetened stuff that's not even all that good. I've been fighting the same five pounds for two months, and I think it's because I haven't given up artificially sweetened treats. Eating them leads me to eating more of something...even protein.

I've been reading Geneen Roth's books; she has some profound things to say about the connections among our inner and outer lives and our relationships with food. No way am I giving up Atkins and giving myself permission to eat whatever I think I want; I've lost too much weight and worked too hard to go there. But I do think she has some valuable insights for those of us who crave, binge, diet cycle. I'm trying to teach myself to eat more mindfully and consciously.

It's hard, but it's harder without the support of all of you. We can do it! Have a great week, everyone. :)

SaskNewfie
02-28-2011, 03:20 PM
Apparently, anything that only TASTES sweet - regardless of the source - can trigger a binge.

That's my fear...I am planning on trying those cookies though, but I may wait a few weeks until I know I'm strong enough to handle them. I'm having a hard enough time trying to cut back my cheese and almond intake. I love the almonds because they are a low-carb alternative to munching on chips or popcorn. I enjoy the cheese because it's a filling snack between meals. My other weakness is snacking on pepperoni and cheese at night. Oops, going off track...

Yes, for now I'm going to avoid even artificially sweetened snacks. I have one can of diet pop a day that I'm considering cutting out. My military dress uniform has gotten too snug since last summer...I NEED to fit into it again. I had it tailored last year after I lost my weight. My lazy months of being in school are almost to an end and I'll be back in uniform again...should be motivation enough!

Thanks for the comments everyone!!

sandyfanny
02-28-2011, 04:18 PM
Diet sodas don't seem to trigger anything; I rarely drink them. I've been drinking flavored (but not sweetened - artificially or otherwise) seltzer water. It's not delicious, but it has bubbles. For me the triggers are desserts, sugar - real or not. Anything that's close to ice cream, candy, or cake seems to trigger me to eat too much, but that's what I crave.

I love cheese, always have. Limiting myself to four ounces is hard. But I lose weight best when I limit it to one or two ounces a day. I have to get over myself and eat what's good for me. Have a great week.

Violet73
03-01-2011, 12:42 AM
That's my fear...I am planning on trying those cookies though, but I may wait a few weeks until I know I'm strong enough to handle them. I'm having a hard enough time trying to cut back my cheese and almond intake. I love the almonds because they are a low-carb alternative to munching on chips or popcorn. I enjoy the cheese because it's a filling snack between meals. My other weakness is snacking on pepperoni and cheese at night. Oops, going off track...

Yes, for now I'm going to avoid even artificially sweetened snacks. I have one can of diet pop a day that I'm considering cutting out. My military dress uniform has gotten too snug since last summer...I NEED to fit into it again. I had it tailored last year after I lost my weight. My lazy months of being in school are almost to an end and I'll be back in uniform again...should be motivation enough!

Thanks for the comments everyone!!

You're going to do great! I like to have something to snack on while watching a movie at home and I now snack on sunflower seeds. They aren't approved for Atkins induction but I don't do induction. I just keep my total carbs under 30 for the day. For one Frito Lay pkg there are 5 carbs. It may sound like a lot but it takes a while to crack those shells. One pkg could last you all day and give you the sense that you are snacking on something. Plus, they taste wonderful :) Very good for you too....