Old 11-17-2010, 11:32 AM   #1  
Working it out!

S/C/G: 219/ticker/135

Height: 5'4'

Default What other benefits are you gaining?

This isn't just about NSV's...

I'm wondering besides the shrinking thighs and tummies, what other benefits are you gaining with living a healthy lifestyle and how?

Here are a few examples of mine:

1. My nails are getting EXTREMELY strong! They don't break like they used to. The white spots on them from calcium definiciency are also gone! The skim milk I drink after working out truly has become a daily thing for me and it is working wonders on both my hair AND nails!

2. We have saved SO MUCH money on breakfast foods. It used to be we would buy 5-7 (each!) breakfast bowls, sandwiches, bagels and cream cheese weekly to serve as our breakfast. Now, it's either a whole grain/flax cereal or oatmeal. I was working out the numbers the other day and it's something like 30+ we save a WEEK in money. That averages out to over 100 a month. New JEAN money! LOL

3. One of the biggest benefits for me is walking w/ my boyfriend. We live in the city so we have to walk a lot of places. He is 6'5 and with me being only 5'4 I often complained about how he walked too fast, it led to A LOT of arguments "you don't care about me etc etc". Needless to say, I now keep up with him and even out walk his tall butt!

4. I have a skin disease called psoriasis. It is only on my scalp (thank the heavens!) but it caused a lot of itching and flaking etc. As I started smoking and gaining a ton of weight, it got a LOT worse. I am half black, not supposed to wash my hair more than twice a week, it got to the point I would have to wash it twice a day sometimes just to stop the burning. NOWWWW that I've lost weight, I noticed a little more every week goes away. I now officially wash my hair twice a week! I can't imagine what it will be like when I reach goal and quit smoking!

5. Friends! When I joined boot camp 13 weeks ago I never imagined I'd meet girls in the same situation as me, those that wanted to lose weight. I thought I'd meet only in shape people and they'd criticize me. It turns out, it's just the opposite. My long time friends are very supportive but the girls in this boot camp are BEYOND. They understand the struggles and man, I know that I have gained LIFETIME friends out of this. Which isn't easy as you get older. I've always made friends easily but having a group of women who know your struggles and can help you along the way is easier. Just the other day one of the girls invited me randomly to a Carrie Underwood concert. These girls inspire me SO much!

Anyway, those are mine. What are some of yours? Being able to play with your children? Run with nieces? Any noticeable health differences? Or something as simple as being able to walk the stairs in your home?

Last edited by Krizstyling; 11-17-2010 at 11:37 AM.
Krizstyling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:40 PM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Tons of differences.

1- My skin on my body is so much clearer- no more pimples on the body- I'm so happy about that

2- I sleep better- the doctor thinks if I lose another 15-20 lbs my sleep apnea will go away.

3- More energy- I have WAY more energy than before- it's such a blessing

4- I want to go out and do more with my husband, before I'd rather just stay home and now we go out and do more activities together- it's great

5- Periods have come back (I have PCOS) and that's great news cuz we want to start having children soon!

6- Dandruff is pretty much gone- I used to not even be able to wear dark clothes! After losing like my first 20 lbs the dandruff went away.

7- Confidence is increasing- I actually went for a job interview a few weeks ago and after the interview I was at the gas station and this man approached me, told me I was beautiful, and asked me out! lol. I politely declined saying I was married- but MAN did it make my day!
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 07:49 PM   #3  
Working it out!

S/C/G: 219/ticker/135

Height: 5'4'

beerab! What a GREAT GREAT list! Isn't it amazing what losing a few pounds can do?

I too gained my period back after a year long hiatus. Can't say I'm as thrilled about it as you (I don't have PCOS nor am I trying for kids) but I definitely feel like a woman again and totally understand!

The job intv thing, I also concur! I went in for one and man I was WAY more confident then I ever have been in the past.

The fact a guy hit on you at a gas station, woohoo! Hot mama! Haha, that does help self esteem. ****, more bums then ever hit on me these days but I'm okay with that, I'll take compliments from wherever I can get em! LOL

And sidenote: I too had sleep apnea, it went totally away (as did my loud snoring) after I hit 195! It is amazing to say the least. I have no doubt in a few more pounds yours is going to be gone as well!

Last edited by Krizstyling; 11-17-2010 at 07:50 PM.
Krizstyling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:00 AM   #4  
Funsized Fiesta

S/C/G: 230/144.5/130

Height: 5'4"

1. My hair, nails, and skin are so much better. Skin is clearly, nails are stronger, hair is shinier. I used to have a few weird, rash-looking patches on my skin, but they went away months ago.

2. I don't get winded easily. I used to get winded just walking upstairs, now I can run around and do most anything without feeling tired or out of breath.

3. My periods never disappeared, but they used to be really irregular, but they've regulated themselves by now. It's so nice being able to actually know when to expect TOM!

4. NO MORE HEARTBURN. I think this is one of my favourites lol. I used to have heartburn so bad I'd puke almost every single day, but it's completely gone now.

5. I don't get headaches or migraines as much. Like the heartburn, these used to be an everyday thing, but it's been a looong time since I've needed to take painkillers or a nap because my head was hurting so badly.

6. I'm sick right now haha, but it's the first cold I've had in awhile, and my allergies weren't nearly as bad this year as they usually are.

7. I don't get overheated as easily. I do get cold more easily haha, but I don't overheat.

8. My insomnia isn't as bad. I used to lay awake for hours or stay up for multiple days at a time, not because I wanted to, but because I just couldn't sleep. I get 8-10 hours most nights now.

9. I don't feel nearly as depressed or stressed about things.

10. Like others have said, CONFIDENCE! I feel great walking around, and when people look at me, I don't assume it's because I'm fat, but because I look attractive.
KenzideRhae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:07 AM   #5  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

Height: 5'6"

I have a ton more energy now that I am down 60+ pounds

No more TUMS....NONE! (I used to go thru a bottle every 2 weeks)

My Parkinson's symptoms are about 50% better and I've been able to cut back on medications.

Enjoying sex again. My husband and I were just too heavy to really enjoy it before. He has also lost 40 lbs. (Sorry if that's TMI)

Being able to cross my legs and sit indian style on the floor again.

Wearing my wedding ring for the first time in 10 years.

Playing on the floor with my granddaughters.

Last edited by milmin2043; 11-18-2010 at 01:08 AM.
milmin2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:23 AM   #6  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

Oh gosh...sorry girls. I just realized that this is a 20s thread. Please excuse me. I just get excited about things at times. LOL
milmin2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:34 AM   #7  
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

S/C/G: 340/276/150

Don't apologize. All those things you said are so awesome! I completely understand about the sex thing. It's not as enjoyable when you are so heavy. My exhusband was thin which made things less awkward, but it was still uncomfortable. I want to be thin before I even start dating again. In February when I left him, I gave myself a two year commitment to:

1. Lose weight. Be a healthy weight in 2 years.
2. Go back to school, get a degree.
3. No dating.
4. Discover who I am!!

It's been a mind, body and soul transformation.

Benefits I'm gaining.

-Fit into my old clothes.
-I can shop at Old Navy again. Just the shirts for now. I have a while to go before I can fit into the pants and shorts.
-Confidence
-Blood pressure is lower.
-Skin is clearer.
kerielaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:35 AM   #8  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

1.) I can carry heavier things. Suddenly buying heavy groceries and carrying them home on foot for 30 minutes' walk doesn't seem bad at all.

2.) I have much more stamina. I used to be terrified of situations where I'd be in a group of people that started running and I'd be huffing and puffing along behind them. Not anymore!

3.) Less self conscious about sex, nudity etc.

4.) The confidence thing is a big one. I don't check a room to see if I'm the heaviest anymore (only really applicable in Asia, haha).

5.) I no longer feel ashamed to admit that eating is one of my favorite pasttimes.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 03:56 PM   #9  
SE Asia, baby

S/C/G: 232/141/132

Height: 5'5

1. I love how exercising makes me feel! It clears my head and reminds me how strong my body is. (also, zumba makes me feel supah hott even if i just look awkward! haha!)

2. I really enjoy watching my body shape change and fitting into clothes differently.

3. I'm also way more confident when I'm working out and eating well. This not only makes me feel great, but I've also found it really improves my relationships with others.
graciegoose13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:39 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 252-255?/ticker/145

Height: 5'6''

Quote:
Originally Posted by krampus View Post
5.) I no longer feel ashamed to admit that eating is one of my favorite pasttimes.
This feels like such a big one! I'm kinda able to talk about this more, but at my highest weight, I always felt so self-concious about eating! While I'm not super willing to talk about enjoying eating, I do feel comfortable admitting that I enjoy cooking, and I feel okay telling people when I'm hungry, which I never used to be able to do before!
paris81 is offline   Reply With Quote