Old 11-15-2010, 07:24 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 294/204/175

Height: 5'6"

Default I think the owner of my gym feels sorry for me lol...

So I joined a gym... I guess... about 3 weeks ago? I have been going like clock work every single day... sometimes twice a day! In 3 weeks, I have missed maybe 4 days? The days I didn't go to the gym... I walked somewhere outside.

Anyway... as I was leaving tonight... he asked me how I was doing, if I was feeling any better... I said.. I haven't seen a change.... because I haven't. I have lost some weight, but I can't feel it... or see it yet.

He said that he wants me to come in next week and sit down with him and tell him what I'm eating daily... and go over my diet with him.

The fact that he said that .... makes me wonder if he sees how hard I'm working and sees that I'm seeing no results... and makes him feel sorry for me and wants to help me for free?

I don't know... just never expected that.

What do ya'll think?
EvilGidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 07:31 PM   #2  
pleasantly plump from '82

S/C/G: 208/ticker/155

Height: 5'9

What an AWESOME gym owner! I'm thinking it is pretty impressive that he not only noticed you were there but offered to help. My gym's personnel only talks to people who are paying for personal trainers. And, on a side note even if you can't see or feel the changes in your body know that they are happening.
sal27253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 07:38 PM   #3  

Height: 5'5

that does sound like an awsome gym owner.
cherrypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 07:48 PM   #4  
~Kim~

Sounds like a really nice guy that is interested in helping people and not just making money. He's probably noticed your consistency, sees that you are working hard to make a change and wants to help in any way he can. I don't think he feels sorry for you, I think he just wants to see you succeed. =)
TooManyDimples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 07:52 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

I think he sounds awesome. He probably admires your dedication (I'm sure a ton of people join and then think - this isn't working - so they leave) and wants to help you succeed.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:07 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 333/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'3"

That is a nice gym owner! He probably doesn't feel sorry for you - he's probably darned impressed with your dedication and determination. So many people join and go once in a blue moon or go once or twice and never again. You're obviously dedicated and he probably wants to help you succeed!
Sunshine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:10 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 294/204/175

Thanks girls... I honestly didn't even consider it that way.... but that IS a nice way to look at it
EvilGidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:40 PM   #8  
Tiff

S/C/G: 322/ticker/175

Height: 5' 7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooManyDimples View Post
Sounds like a really nice guy that is interested in helping people and not just making money. He's probably noticed your consistency, sees that you are working hard to make a change and wants to help in any way he can. I don't think he feels sorry for you, I think he just wants to see you succeed. =)
what she said!
pipernoswiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:01 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 214/148.6/130

Height: 5'7"

i think he is impressed by how much you're working out and genuinely wants to help. sounds pretty awesome to me!! :-)
socalfelicity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:23 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 324/283/260

Height: 5'7''

I agree! He sounds great!

I love my gym owner too. He has been watching me lose since January of last year and has been sooo supportive. I am planning on hiring him as a personal trainer when I am closer to goal.

Having supportive people like that at your gym could really help you succeed if you let it!
katkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:33 AM   #11  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 197/ticker/136

Height: 1.65m

Agree, he sounds like a guy with a passion for health and fitness and he sees you putting in at the gym and is willing to share his knowledge with you because he loves seeing people get healthy.
RoseRodent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:06 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 258/238/135

Default no no

feel sorry for you? No, he wants to sit down with a hot girl?
foodmasochist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:04 AM   #13  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

I think it's great that he wants to help, but remember not to throw your own good judgement out the window if his advice doesn't sound right to you. Not all gym owners, fitness buffs and personal trainers (even if they're super buff themselves) know a fig about nutrition, and in my experience some of their ideas can be off-the-wall.

If you can take the best and ignore the rest, go for it. If criticism at this point would shatter you, maybe take a raincheck?

One suggestion I would have is that if you have any problem at all with eating things you know aren't good choices, that you not only take in a log of what you did eat, that you also take in a list of what your goal for your diet is. If you're off-target, write down the targets you're aiming for (such as the servings of each food group at each meal).

In my experience, male advice tends to sound harsh to women. Not that there aren't compassionate, tactful men, it's just you've got to be prepared for the possibility of less-than-sensitive criticism or the experience can be more harmful than helpful. If you're not ready for a drill-seargant approach, you need to know whether that is his approach (or wait until you're ready for ANY approach). If you're confident in yourself and your goals, you'll be able to work with any communication style, but learning to take constructive criticism (even when it doesn't feel very constructive) can be a challenge if you lack that confidence.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:09 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 298/238...285.5/217/150

Height: 5'5"

I think the gym owner has the same vision as you do for your journey. He can see the dedication and consistency you have. He wants to be supportive and celebrate your successes. I think he wants to be part of the process. It brings joy to his life to be involved and probably a little good word of mouth advertising would help his gym.
DixC Chix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:30 AM   #15  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:
kaplods originally posted I think it's great that he wants to help, but remember not to throw your own good judgement out the window if his advice doesn't sound right to you. Not all gym owners, fitness buffs and personal trainers (even if they're super buff themselves) know a fig about nutrition, and in my experience some of their ideas can be off-the-wall.
I agree with kaplods. She always words posts well. I was thinking something along the same line but don't want to come across negative.

It is very nice that he wants to help, just be careful. I have had so many people tell me that I should be following xyz diet instead of the plan that I have developed for myself. But you see, they don't know me and the foods that I like and dislike, my strengths and weaknesses, and my experience with diets. I originally saw a nutritionist who told me that I should not count calories but should use an exchange program. However, I knew that I had tried exchange programs many times and they did not work well for me. Counting calories works for me. I took the plan that she worked out for me and tweaked it to work for me. Over time, it has changed a great deal. I developed a plan that I can live with.

Listen to what he has to say, think about it, and then take from it what works for you.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote