Exercise! - 1st half marathon 2:19!

View Full Version : 1st half marathon 2:19!

ncuneo
11-15-2010, 06:48 PM
So for thinking that anything under 2:30 would be a huge stretch for me, I'm estatic to say that I completed my first half marathon in 2:19!

So in 1 year I've lost 45 lbs (125 lbs in almost 5 years) and gone from barely being able to run a mile to running 13.1 miles non stop! I feel amazing and grateful and I can't wait to see whats to come. Thanks all for your support!

thesame7lbs
11-15-2010, 07:32 PM
Yea! Way to go! :broc:

I was thinking of you when I was out for my run yesterday, knowing you were probably up and en route to the race, wondering if you were having butterflies in your tummy like I get.

geobuilder
11-15-2010, 07:49 PM
Excellent time, keep running.

ncuneo
11-15-2010, 07:49 PM
Thanks! It was an amazing experience, all of it - the race, the training, the events of the day and day before, just all of it. I wasn't too nervous, I was more distracted by things I wasn't prepared for, running in a pack, no headphones allowed, no spectators at the start, forgetting my sunglasses and running south the entire race, forgetting sun screen, seeing the ambulances come by and wondering if I would be next (not really, I felt great), and did I mention NO headphones! Turns out no one paid attention to that rule and wore them anyway.

I learned a lot of what worked this time and what not to do next time. So now I just need to pick another event:) I think I'd like to work on my time and do a 10k in about an hour.

SweetyKins
11-15-2010, 07:53 PM
:goodvibes

WOW!!! Awesome job!

That is my ultimate running goal, is a 1/2 marathon. I cannot imagine running for over 2 hours though right now.

joyfulloser
11-15-2010, 07:56 PM
Wow...from couch to 13+ miles in a year?...that's awesome!:carrot: I'm inspired...keep up the good work:)

wickedlady
11-15-2010, 09:03 PM
great job!!! :)

diary
11-15-2010, 09:27 PM
Congrats! You are awesome!

krampus
11-16-2010, 01:57 AM
That's incredible and inspiring! Congratulations on your time, too!

EZMONEY
11-16-2010, 09:21 AM
OUTSTANDING!

You have accomplished a lot in a short time...proud of you.

Your future is bright!

I have never heard of a marathon where spectators weren't allowed and no headphones....where was the race?

ncuneo
11-16-2010, 09:53 AM
It wasn't so much that spectators weren't allowed, I just kinda misunderstood the drop off procedures. There was no parking at the start line because it was a residential area and if you parked at the parking lot they only shuttled racers to the start, but you could have found parking closer and there were many spectators there. The headphones thing though was right in the rules, but they didn't enforce it, which if you're not gonna enforce it the don't make it a rule, oh well.

Anyway, the race was on Coronado Island in San Diego, it was beautiful!

Eliana
11-16-2010, 09:56 AM
Did you cry? I thought about you! I knew the end might be emotional for you.

Congratulations! I have huge admiration for marathon runners, from 5K to full marathons. I CAN run, but I don't particularly like to.

EZMONEY
11-16-2010, 10:12 AM
OOPS....I meant "spectators at the start".....

got it!

The island can get crowded for those events....it is beautiful there, did you run across the bridge?

My daughter works, and lives down that way, she has been running marathons but after 3 last year she is switching to the half for a while while her legs come back...and IT band...lol....she runs about your speed.

Ilene
11-16-2010, 10:56 AM
:bravo:

mkroyer
11-16-2010, 11:52 AM
Congrats!
Still waiting for the race report!!!!! :)

Have you registered yet for your first full?
It often closely follows a great first Half experience, once a runner has been bitten by the endurance bug

Tuca125
11-16-2010, 12:18 PM
Congrats ...

Some ask you , did you cried at the end.

I was so exited whit my and I cried when i saw the sing of 100m to go .... what a great experience.

Are you planing in a full.

ncuneo
11-16-2010, 04:29 PM
The race didn't cross the bridge, it went from the Island down the strand to Imperial Beach.

I did get pretty choked up when I saw the finish line, but I didn't end up crying because I was too concerned about finding my DH in the sea of people w/out my cell phone. He actually missed me crossing because I finished sooner than anticipated:)

This whole experience has been very emotional for me and I just can't think of a better way to celbrate meeting all my weight loss goals than with a great finish on my 1/2. I've hit a lot of personal and professional milestones this year so all in all it's been quite an emotional year.

Not registered for a full yet. There's a lot of life stuff on my plate right now and finding the time to train would be pretty difficult. So I'm thinking some speed work on my 10K and then a couple more 1/2s and then maybe I'll be ready in 3 years or so. Right now I'm thinking about the Rock n Roll 1/2 in Chicago.

Thanks you everyone so much for your support!

diary
11-16-2010, 08:29 PM
Ncuneo, I had that same thought about the full! I would love to do a full, but I HAVE to get faster first! I don't want to be out there for 6 and a half hours working on the distance.

You did an amazing job! It's great to bask in that success!

evilwomaniamshe
11-16-2010, 08:47 PM
:cheer3: Congrats chicka! :cheer3:

jamsk8r
11-17-2010, 03:07 AM
Congratulations...great finish time! :celebrate: