PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:02 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 175/ticker'135

Height: 5'4"

Default Help with IR, food, and metformin

I hope this doesn't get long and confusing.

I started metformin over the summer and did great. I started at a low dose and worked my way up to my prescribed dose. My intense sugar cravings disappeared, I started sleeping at night, and in general just felt more at peace since I wasn't trying to figure out how I was going to get my next sugar fix and then beating myself up for eating so much junk. I loved the metformin EXCEPT the nausea just kept getting worse. The nausea was the only side effect I had, but it got to the point that I couldn't meal plan or even shop and cook for my family. I have kids with food allergies, so cooking from scratch at home is a necessity.

I finally got back in to see my doctor and he gave me samples of glumetza, which is the time release metformin. Well the nausea is back. And of course, when I'm that nauseated the only thing I can eat are simple carbs - which totally defeats the purpose, right?

So I didn't take today's dose. Now at 10 PM I'm almost feeling normal. Anyone else had this? Is there hope if I just stick this out for a while? Does it get better or worse?
HeyChelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:44 AM   #2  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Metformin XR is the extended release. Glumetza is another brand.

Taking it with a meal helps. Have you been at the prescribed dose a while? Perhaps your needs have changed?

I took it for a while and was fine and then the nausea came back and labs showed that I no longer needed to take it.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:25 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 175/ticker'135

Height: 5'4"

I've only been at that dose for a couple days. So not long and the nausea was so bad. dOf course, I will be calling the doc later. But it takes weeks to get in.

Maybe this dose is too high?
HeyChelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:40 PM   #4  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Could be that too. See what the doc says. I used to take 2000, but had to stair step up each week like 500, 1000, 1500, then 2000. I also spread it out even on the XR so it was like 1000, then another 1000 later in the day.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:55 PM   #5  

Have you experimented with taking it before or after eating? Are you staying away from foods that cause met-gut?
Lettuce and eggs are big nausea and intestinal distress foods with met, along with the obvious carb culprits.
Water25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 05:36 AM   #6  

I don't know whether this is for all users of Met but my doctor has told me that everyday I need to have good oils/fats to keeps the system balanced and "oiled". He said a Tablespoon of olive oil at least, Avocados, butter (in moderation) as these help stabalise blood sugar.
1 Tblsp vinegar (best in a home made salad dressing)
At least 2Lt water per day!!! No snacks! If you're hungry have water.
No milk. No dried fruits. No nuts.

There is more to it...but... I have been using Met on and off for 7 years and I don't get "Met Gut" ... in fact if you look - I was asking what Met gut was!??
Unfortunately I've found that its all or nothing.... either be commited to getting healthy (or as healthy as possible) or don't bother at all! Its worth the struggle - I have 3 beautiful children and thats worth doing it over and over again!!!!! Please find what YOUR body will work with a stick to it!!
If you fail one day? - at the end of that day say to yourself "its ok cause tomorrow I WILL try again!"
Chook is offline   Reply With Quote