Alternachicks - New year's schmoo year's

View Full Version : New year's schmoo year's

mauvaisroux
11-07-2002, 08:03 PM
Okay, so I have been slacking off on my eating habits :nono: (low carb HA! ) and not establishing an excercise routine:( but I have only myself to blame!

I am starting my resolutions early- why wait for New Year's :hat: when you can start now and avoid the rush? Time to get my butt in gear. I want to lose at least 5 lbs by December 13 (Friday the 13th :fr: )

I am designing a new plan for myself this week which is going to take effect this Saturday! Why Saturday? Because that is my dance class day and that is the day of "MONSTER GROCERY SHOP". I spent my lunch hour perusing my Suzanne Somers book and writing up a menu for 2 weeks and putting together a grocery list.

My goal is to lose that last 13 lbs and re shape my butt and thighs so I will be a babe by April 2003!

RESOLUTIONS:

(1) No late night snacking

(2) Eat proper low carb meals

(3) Stick to an exercise routine

(4) Drink more water

(5) Eat more fruit

Thank you all for reading my rant :dizzy:

Ruthxxx
11-08-2002, 08:43 AM
Joining you, Mauvais. 5 by that fatefrul Friday and below 200 by January 14 which is my birthday!

ellis
11-08-2002, 10:45 AM
Okay, Mauvais... me, too.
Ruth, happy birthday in case I forget.
Am I losing my mind, or is your dog getting bigger?

mauvaisroux
11-08-2002, 12:50 PM
Ruthxxx-is that preggers version of your dog? :lol:

Ruthxxx
11-08-2002, 01:05 PM
Lucy is not getting bigger but Hershey is a MonsterMamma! A beer barrel covered with glossy black curls!
The new avatar is of a Portie in "the Retriever Cut" - the other one was "the Lion Cut" which looks pretty assinine in real life.

Wanttolosealot
11-08-2002, 03:19 PM
I want to be in a size 20 pants by December 25th. I am not going to worry about the scales so much anymore. I just want to look good in whatever size I happen to be in. My hubby is telling me now all the time I am looking good. I think he sees my attitude has changed more than anything else.
Virginia

mauvaisroux
11-09-2002, 10:01 AM
That's great Virginia! Keep up the good work! :cp: I think when you feel better healthwise it affects your attitude about yourself and life in general.

Well today is the first day of my Schmoo Year's resolution.

I am starting the morning off with a healthy breakfast then a 25 minute walk to my dance class. I will belly dance for 1 1/2 hours then go eat a healthy lunch at a nearby restaurant. After that it's a 15 minute walk to the grocery store to stock up on low carb food which I am having delivered since DH is in Montreal today with a vanload of his guy friends.

I bought a second Suzanne Somers book at chapters yesterday so that I have some more recipes to play with :D

I also have big plans to do housework today :rolleyes: I guess we'll see what happens :lol:

Wanttolosealot
11-09-2002, 10:10 AM
Wow Mauvaisroux!:high:
You got it goin on girl! I have been meaning to tell you how wonderful you are doing! You have been eating great and getting lots of exercise. You are a very good role model to have around. Good for you girl!
Virginia

ellis
11-09-2002, 03:50 PM
Yeah, Mauvais... you're doing great, hon!! :cb:

dentrassi
11-09-2002, 04:13 PM
Okay, I was afraid to even state another goal since I completely blew off the last two.....

BUT

I have to do something, so my goal is to get back on track. I bought a journal (okay, a small spiral notebook) to track weight, measurements and food in.
I WILL be back on track by December (meaning more than one day in a row!!)
Specific goals like weight lost etc. will be easier for me to deal with once I am at least eating right again!!!

Mauvais-YOU ARE DOING GREAT!!!! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!!!:D

Wildfire
11-10-2002, 07:59 AM
Whoohooo! Motivation abounds here!

I'd say I'm with you, but I've already pledged 5lbs by Nov. 28 on the Turkey Time Challenge (Support Board).

mauvaisroux
11-11-2002, 12:03 PM
Well the weekend went okay except for Sunday night when I ate a Shwarma at 9:30 PM :nono:

I am OP so far today and planning on making a low carb roast chicken dishe with veggies from one of my SS books tonight.

Trying to be good:angel:

squeaker
11-11-2002, 12:27 PM
You ate a what???????

mauvaisroux
11-11-2002, 09:37 PM
Hi Squeak! I ate a Swarma. It is a Lebanese chicken sandwich.

Basically you take a small pita round put garlic sauce, lettuce. tomato, pickled turnip, onions, hot peppers and chicken that is carved off of this roast chicken that is on a rotating spit and roll it all up and enjoy! :T It is delish!

mauvaisroux
11-14-2002, 01:55 PM
Okay, so it is Thursday today and I am still pretty much OP. Although I did have an almond tart after dinner last night. I still think I am doing pretty good so far. I am drinking more water and exercised twice this week outside of my normal daily walks.

The only junk food in my house right now is 2 packets of ginger thin cookies from Ikea.

Still trying to be good:angel:

ellis
11-14-2002, 02:49 PM
Oh, Mauvais... my DH makes the best shwarmas! Aren't they wicked? Have you ever got them from Shwarma King on Bank? The chicken take out is the best... they give you pickled turnip with it. And this wicked garlic sauce with the rice. yummm!!

squeaker
11-15-2002, 08:04 AM
A shwarma sounds interesting I think.

I thought Ikea was furniture...... why do they sell tarts?

I think I am going to start with my new years resolutions in Dec. Probably for my birthday. After I get a few other things sorted out.

mauvaisroux
11-15-2002, 04:05 PM
Yeah, Ellis, Shwarma King rocks!

Squeak- there is a restaurant in Ikea that serves sandwiches and cakes, and Swedish food. The meatballs are amazing and the food is good and cheap. DH and I both had a medium size plate of meatballs with new potatos, a slice of wheat bread, gravy, lingonberry sauce, tea, coffee and and an almond tart all for less than $20.00! We were stuffed! :ink:

dentrassi
11-15-2002, 04:53 PM
YOU ARE ALL MAKING ME HUNGRY!!!!

ellis
11-15-2002, 08:52 PM
Huh, doesn't take much to make YOU hungry! :D
(or me... stop it girls)

mauvaisroux
11-18-2002, 10:34 PM
:bomb: grrr! I managed to be good all week and then blew it on the weekend! Between party munchies and dim sum I undid any good I did do during the week. Must behave this week!

dentrassi
11-19-2002, 12:14 PM
Mauvais-At least you are having a good week!! I am still at the "have a good day and then blow it at night" stage. Ate chips after my Mammogram last night.....

ellis
11-19-2002, 12:22 PM
hey sweetie.. how was the mammogram? Are you all puffed up again? :D
Listen, try eating cereal with no fat milk. That's my latest trick.

dentrassi
11-19-2002, 08:25 PM
The Mammogram was wonderful. Wish I could have another tonight!!! (HA!!!)
The kids finished up the chips tonight, so that is one less thing in the house for me to eat!!!

My HANDS are puffed up!! I have been working like crazy for the art show this weekend, and my carpal tunnel syndrome is starting to act up. Also, I was making my "quilt pins", which I sew with wire, and my hands are mangled from pulling the wire tight repeatedly. OH! How we suffer for art.....
(snicker)

squeaker
11-19-2002, 10:18 PM
I just can't wait for a Mammogram. Went to the gyn today and I am very very very thankful I only have to go once a year. It is the worst 2 minutes (or how ever long the exam actually lasts) of the year. :p

Den - don't suffer TOO much for your art, otherwise it you may not be able to do it at all. :)

mauvaisroux
11-19-2002, 10:42 PM
I can't believe I had pancakes for dinner tonight :dizzy: At least they were whole wheat and sugar free.

Speaking of art...me and my best GF are going to a Gallery glass class on Thursday night. We met afterwork today to buy the supplies we needed. I can't wait! Some of the projects I have see look like real stained glass.

Hope your mammogram results are good Den. Take care of your hands tonight so you will have them in good shape for the weekend.

ellis
11-20-2002, 07:31 AM
why, what's she doing on the weekend besides having sex with her DH? Does she need hands for that?

I like your new quote, Mauvais. :) And your glass class is going to be so much fun!

Den, you've got good teeth. Use THEM to pull the wire tight! :D
I wish more of your stuff was online. I'd love to see it.

Squeak, according to my mom, after the age of 70 you no longer have to have a pap test. That's what I'M looking forward to!

mauvaisroux
11-20-2002, 09:33 AM
Why don't you get a pap test over 70?
Are you past the point of developing cancer? or are you just too old and they don't care anymore?
hmmmm...:chin:

I like my knew quote too! I read it in a book and thought that it was very true :) I never want to grow old in my way of thinking!

Den needs her hands for the Art show to show off her art and sell her stuff smartypants! :p

ellis
11-20-2002, 09:44 AM
That's what I figure, Mauvais... they just don't give a damn. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah.. art show. Well, she WILL have to make change!

Lamorgan
11-20-2002, 11:05 AM
I've slipped so badly, but have evened out because I walk so much... But I've given a 1/2 hour paper route to my eldest son and plan on retiring from my papers in April soooooo I need to get on track now before my metabolism goes mad.

Today I drink water! And now that my courses have nearly wrapped up I am cooking again. I feel as though I haven't cooked since summer.

Hours cut at work too, so I'm home more now to see the state of the house, routines and cupboards.

Lois!

barefootgrrrl
11-20-2002, 12:33 PM
Lois - nice to see you back :)

Terri

mauvaisroux
11-20-2002, 12:54 PM
Hi Lamorgan! Glad to see you are back :)

dentrassi
11-20-2002, 11:51 PM
HI!!!

Did more quilt pins tonight, so my hands are hurting again!!!

Mauvais-YUP!! It is pretty bad when you can't hand the merchandise over to the person who just purchased it!!!

Ellis-HEY!! I don't NEED hands for that, but they help out a bit sometimes!!!:lol:

Squeak-Wait until your first Mammogram, then the pap won't seem so bad....

mauvaisroux
11-22-2002, 04:55 PM
Well my house is starting to get in shape. It better be done by December 21 at the latest as we are having an open house on Christmas eve :yikes: the panic sets in as I realize that it is almost the end of November and I only have 2 gifts bought!

Another one of my Schmoo year's resolutions to is to get organized and get rid of my clutter which I have started, very slowly, to do.

Den-take care of those hands girl!

mauvaisroux
12-18-2002, 12:30 PM
Hi everyone! :wave:

I just though I would bring up this thread to remind me of my pre New Year's resolutions and to see if I have actually followed through with any of them :lol:

My resolutions were:

My goal is to lose that last 13 lbs and re shape my butt and thighs so I will be a babe by April 2003!

RESOLUTIONS:

(1) No late night snacking
(2) Eat proper low carb meals
(3) Stick to an exercise routine
(4) Drink more water
(5) Eat more fruit

Well I have managed to do #1,#4 and #5. I am working on #2 and as for #3 my dance class is on a break until Jan 4 and I still have not come up with a daily exercise routine :rolleyes: It appears I still have some work to do :)

ellis
12-18-2002, 03:16 PM
Good idea, Mauvais...

My parents are going away for eight weeks, so I'm going to surprise them by losing ummm... what do you think... 12 pounds? Minimum.
I should be able to get in longer workouts at the gym if I'm going alone. And I'll be walking more (not having my mom drive me home from the Y), so I should burn a few more calories.

Lidian
12-18-2002, 08:22 PM
Those are good resolutions, Ellis & Mauvais - I am in awe of the fact that you guys actually go to classes/to a gym - that is very cool!

I would like to start the new year doing more formal exercise, like you are doing...especially working on my abs, which resemble Jello! After child#2, my stomach muscles separated and I have been using this as an excuse not to do situps regularly...but she is 6 years old now so I guess it'll be OK, don't you think?!:lol:

Lidian

ellis
12-18-2002, 08:58 PM
Ditto, Lidian. My six year old has left the breast, yet my stomach still resembles a wet paper bag. Oooooooh, it's so ugly. I've never SEEN anything so ugly!

Are we allowed to know where you live in Canada? I'll understand if it's a secret.

Lidian
12-19-2002, 03:10 PM
Well Ellis, I have to say it is a big ole secret where in Canada I am, and you can blame my shy retiring nature for being so mysterious! People used to find me mysterious years ago (ah, I guess it was just flattery from silly guys!) and I am trying to reach for that now, I guess!:lol:

It is however NO mystery that my belly has seen better days. Though the stretch marks are faded - I used to look like a toddler had scribbled all over my stomach with a purple crayon! I also have some lovely perimenopausal hairs on my chinny chin chin, and the occasional zit. It just isn't fair to be perimenopausal and getting acne too!

I resolve to stop eating chocolate mints every single week. Every single day. After the holidays. After they stop selling them everywhere. Very, very soon. Yeah.

Cheerio!:)

Lidian

ellis
12-19-2002, 03:25 PM
I understand completely, Lidian. :)
Canada is a very small town despite its size. :yes:

mauvaisroux
12-19-2002, 04:15 PM
Lidian is just in the witness protection program since she plead guilty to the crime of not liking hockey :lol:.....her whereabouts remain unknown...

Lidian
12-19-2002, 08:40 PM
Tee hee! I am actually a cool international spy, sort of Nancy Drew meets Mata Hari kind of thing, and travel the globe in search of adventure and romance (I wish!)...

No but really, Mauvais is right - the secret is out! I have only been to ONE hockey game in my whole life.:lol: And I have to lie low if I am to be allowed to stay in Canada, which place I really love!

Lidian
:)

dentrassi
12-19-2002, 11:00 PM
LIDIAN!!! ZITS AND STRAY HAIRS!!! YOU JUST DESCRIBED MY FACE!!!

ellis
12-20-2002, 08:13 AM
Yeah... it's that peri-menopause, hon. It's killin' us. I'm pretty sure we're going to be babes when it's all over, though.
Even my shoulders are breaking out. It's like being in high school all over again.
I was sitting at the computer a couple of weeks ago and felt something irritating my breast (left one... I DO have two). It was a good sized lump, and I thought, "Oh great! I've got cancer!" (sarcasm) I decided to finish reading my mail before looking at it, knowing that a few minutes wouldn't make much difference in the grand scheme of things.
Anyhow... went to the bathroom and checked it out... it was this HUGE zit!!! My god.

tamibeep
12-20-2002, 10:10 AM
Well, if you have to have either cancer or a ginormous zit, I for one am very happy that it turned out to be a zit, ellis. :D

I've started getting a few chin whiskers already, and I'm only 29. I've named them Moe and Larry.

ellis
12-20-2002, 10:20 AM
oooooooh, yeah, Tami! :lol: Thank you. :)
Listen, I wish people would TELL me when they see a hair on my face! I check regularly for the ones I'm familiar with, but occasionally I'll find a new one... and it'll be about an inch long!!! Scary to think how many people have seen in.

Lidian
12-20-2002, 12:11 PM
Yeah, I always get a big red zit just before important social occasions (the chin hairs are always there, but I trim them back every once in awhile before I have to start braiding them or creating a dreadlock:lol: )...white toothpaste is good for zits, by the way.

Moe and Larry, huh, Tami? I love that! Course, I've also got Curly and the Marx Brothers!;)

Ellis, no one tells me either, and then I come home and shriek at the mirror (and whoever else is around). Soon I will be hanging out a window having hot flashes, just like my mother did (I was a cruel 15 and I laughed at her, so cosmic justice decrees that I will have my hot flashes in the middle of July when the A/C breaks down).

I also have some wiry grey hairs at the front of my hair - not a cool silver streak, just big ole grey wiry things. Not that you really wanted to know! Love that crazy perimenopause!

Lidian:)

ellis
12-20-2002, 12:29 PM
I've got a couple of those grey hairs, too. I'm hoping that ALL my grey will be like that. More body!
Hot flashes... I've been getting occasional night sweats for several months now. They're HORRIBLE!! I'll wake up in the middle of the night absolutely drenched! I'll have to get up and change and put something down on the wet sheet. yuck.

Toothpaste, huh? Must try it. Any particular brand? Is gel okay?

Lidian
12-20-2002, 01:54 PM
Any white toothpaste is good, Ellis. I tried this a couple of weeks ago and it really did seem to help. Not the gel though - the white stuff sort of dries and fades into the skin, but I am trying to imagine striped gel on a zit - it wouldn't go with any of my outfits, dahling! (maybe a striped T shirt though!):lol:

Last day of school before winter break. This is a good thing. My youngest DD is tired and weepy (she will perk up at home I think) & all the kids were yelling at the top of their lungs before they went back in for the afternoon (my ears are still ringing)...I am planning on lying in bed for as long as I can tomorrow before the final bout of Christmas shopping!

I have had one Hershey's kiss (well, it helped my ears cool off after all those yelling kids!:lol: ) but I WILL NOT have any more. I wish the thin members of the family would finish them already!

Lidian

tamibeep
12-20-2002, 03:34 PM
Yeah, that toothpaste thing does work, especially if you put it on right before you go to bed. It sucks all the nasty out of the zit, somehow.

And you wake up with a minty fresh face, too! :D

ellis
12-20-2002, 03:45 PM
oooo la la! What would happen if I put it on a zit on my breast? :D

By the way... Tami... I screwed up again today. Started out with good intentions, but had the popcorn, 2 granola bars, and broke into someone's Christmas basket and ate 8 chocolates...
curses. :mad:

tamibeep
12-20-2002, 04:08 PM
Dear ellis,

Do not fret over consumed treats. Tomorrow is another day, and you'll do better. But don't beat yourself up over it... just keep on trying!

I'm rooting for you!

tami

PS: Minty fresh bosoms! That's what every gal needs! :D

dentrassi
12-20-2002, 08:34 PM
WOW!! I need to buy new toothpaste!! I am getting TONS of zits just in time to look jolly for Christmas!! PLUS, my hubby hasn't been paying enough attention to my breasts lately......although he liked the idea of me drizzling chocolate all over myself!!!

Lidian
12-20-2002, 08:54 PM
Ellis, never mind the granola bars and their evil sugary pals - tomorrow is another day! I have been lurking around the stuff my kids brought home from their school parties, hoping to find that bits of chocolate had somehow fallen off a cookie or doughnut (then they come in and see me standing there like an idiot hunched over their stuff:lol: )

Gee Den, if I tried to drizzle chocolate on myself I would drizzle it on my fingers and eat it all myself!;)

Tami, minty fresh is good - chocolate mint is better! My younger DD by the way HATES mint and if I have just brushed my teeth she says EEEWWWW, MINT! in a horrified voice. You can imagine how pleased she is when I am treating my gorgeous zitty face to a toothpaste mask!:lol:

Lidian

ellis
12-21-2002, 09:06 AM
"I promise, to do my best, to..."
Is that a Brownie promise thingy? It just came to mind, but I can't remember the rest of it.

I am going to have a good day, eating wise! My six year old gave me a good idea last night. He said, "If I slept for four days and then woke up, would it be Christmas?"
Isn't that a great idea!! Pass me some valium. Sleeping gas. Whatever...

Two new zits today... in my eyebrows. Great. All I need now is one on the end of my nose.
Occasionally in the past I've had a big one on my chin. One of those big deep ones. Which has always sort of excited me, because I don't have much of a chin, and the zit makes me look curvy. :D

Sojourner
12-21-2002, 12:30 PM
Do you mean:

"On my honor...
I will try...
to serve God...
my country...
mankind...
and to live by the Girl Scout law."

:lol: Yes I was a Brownie and even a Girl Scout in grade school. Wow I can't believe I remember that. I wonder what the "Girl Scout law" was...

ellis
12-21-2002, 12:45 PM
I promise to do my best
to do my duty to God and my country,
To help those at home every day,
and to obey the Brownie Law.

So what the heck is "the Brownie Law"? The above? Isn't that a given? How many times do you have to promise?
I always wore a pair of shorts under my brownie skirt. I was a tomboy. You can't run in a damned short brown skirt.

dentrassi
12-21-2002, 01:58 PM
The "Brownie Law" refers to the pledge you make to eat all the brownies that are in existence at any particular time. You have to keep on taking the pledge because people are ALWAYS baking new brownies!!!!

Lidian
12-21-2002, 06:58 PM
Oh yeah, I remember the Brownie years with the really short skirt and the sludge-brown knee socks falling down, and the little beanie on the head...I dropped out after 2 Junior girl scout meetings - couldn't take the excitement I guess! I had a little Brownie girl scout doll too - whereabouts now unknown.

I can't remember what we did at those meetings but I remember "flying up" and getting a little pin (I always remember an occasion if someone gives me some jewelry!):)

Den, the Brownie law here is similar to yours. I pledge to make mine in mini muffin cups so I can convince myself it's really OK to eat most of them!;)

Lidian

ellis
12-21-2002, 09:21 PM
Oh yeah, Den. snicker.

That's right... the beanie. It was brown felt. With a disgusting stem on top.
And that bloody scarf. Ugly. Orange and white. The only thing I liked was the belt with the little leather "purse" attached. I used it for my "spy kit". :D
I've got a picture of me with my "troup". I'm on the ground with one knee up. Naturally you can see my white shorts that I'm wearing underneath... and every damned person INSISTED it was my underware!!! I just wasn't a girly girl.

Lidian
12-22-2002, 10:29 AM
I liked that little purse too, but we did not have the scarf thing (orange and white, lovely match with the dirt brown uniform huh?). I have a photo of us all in a circle with three fingers up promising to be good little bunnies etc...we all look majorly dopey. I have my hair pulled back in a scalp-pulling tight ponytail and my face looks like a giant beach ball.

Very character-building I'm sure!

Lidian