Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 11-11-2010, 12:03 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 174→168.0→135

Height: 4'9''

Question Feeling ill after workouts.

The first day I tried the 30 day shred, I was so sick after. I pushed myself too far, and didn't have a big enough or filling breakfast. I rushed to the kitchen, my heart beating, feeling about ready to pass out, then ate and had to lay down for about half an hour to an hour.

Today, I made sure I ate a decent amount, then I exercised.

After I was done, I had half a pita, a slice of sharp cheddar cheese, and a glass of milk waiting. I didn't feel sick at all. But what are some better snacks that can help me bounce back RIGHT away, so I don't have to spend 5-10 minutes waiting for my body to recover? Is it a bad idea to eat more protein after a work out like that, like maybe an egg and some toast, or is that too heavy? Is eating cheese and milk after a work out going to ruin my efforts in the long run?

The pita, cheese and milk really helped me, but I'm looking for better alternatives.

Also, does anyone drink a bit of gatorade after a work out, as well? My dad told me to try that. Water before and during, a bit of gatorade after.
yhahmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:17 PM   #2  
OMW to a brand new me!

S/C/G: 312/seeticker/135

Height: 5'1"

I have a glass of water before I work out. And a bottle next to me. That's it. After I work out I have another glass of water and then some oatmeal with peanut butter, a glass of V8 and a cup of coffee (yeah my guilty little vice HAHA) Sometimes i get a big dizzy but not often. But I also only push my body to that just right over its limit place. When I first start a new work out, I push it to that "done" place, so I have a baseline and then go from there. I am not a fan of being sick or hurting, and while I like to "feel the burn" I do not like to pass out from it. I do know however, if I were to eat anything before a work out, I would get sick. That is why I do it at 430am and not at night.
lazylioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:33 PM   #3  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Some people like to work out on an empty stomach, some like to eat a little something. I'd experiment to see which of those make you feel better. I used to be an empty stomach type, then I ended up needing something first and now I'm back to liking the empty stomach again. I go with how I feel.

As for after, a good rule of thumb is to feed strength workouts with protein for the muscles and feed cardio workouts with carbs. With that in mind a favorite post workout meal for me is egg on toast. Also great is banana with nut butter. I like steel cut oats too and also yogurt. Carbs are good for making you feel better quicker. Sometimes a glass of milk (I like soy) is particularly beneficial because the natural sugar acts quickly in your blood. It sounds like your blood sugar is dropping. Make sure your carbs are good, complex carbs though, like WW toast, old fashioned or steel oats, etc.

Last edited by Eliana; 11-11-2010 at 02:22 PM.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 02:00 PM   #4  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

I always go for a mix of protein and carbs after a workout. Like Eliana said, I tend to go more protein-heavy after lifting and more carb-heavy after cardio, but either way I try to have both. So a pita and cheese sound just about right, or cottage cheese and fruit, or a protein shake with fruit, etc. I just made almond butter balls -- a combo of almond butter, protein powder, agave nectar, oats and dried cranberries. Soooo yummy and protein packed, but also high in calories, so only in moderation. But great to tuck in my purse so they are there right after my gym workout.

30DS is tough but stick with it and you will see your fitness level improve!

I saw in another thread you said that you test your blood sugar. It does sound to me like you have blood sugar issues. If it isn't technically low, is it possible that it's just dropping very quickly, and that is leaving you dizzy or nauseated? That happened to me during my last pregnancy and it was miserable.
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 02:16 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 174→168.0→135

Height: 4'9''

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesame7lbs View Post
I always go for a mix of protein and carbs after a workout. Like Eliana said, I tend to go more protein-heavy after lifting and more carb-heavy after cardio, but either way I try to have both. So a pita and cheese sound just about right, or cottage cheese and fruit, or a protein shake with fruit, etc. I just made almond butter balls -- a combo of almond butter, protein powder, agave nectar, oats and dried cranberries. Soooo yummy and protein packed, but also high in calories, so only in moderation. But great to tuck in my purse so they are there right after my gym workout.

30DS is tough but stick with it and you will see your fitness level improve!

I saw in another thread you said that you test your blood sugar. It does sound to me like you have blood sugar issues. If it isn't technically low, is it possible that it's just dropping very quickly, and that is leaving you dizzy or nauseated? That happened to me during my last pregnancy and it was miserable.
I do like it, but damn is it hard! lol

And yes I do have issues with my blood sugar dropping, I have for a couple years now. Last time I saw my doctor she said I wasn't diabetic or even pre-diabetic, but that I needed to lose some weight and that would help. I typically don't feel "low" unless I don't eat for HOURS on end, or unless I've just done a very intense work out and maybe didn't fuel up like I should have. It's a learning experience, but VERY scary when I can't even force myself to eat, even with the knowledge that if I don't I might pass out.

Today went a LOT better than yesterday. My hands were SLIGHTLY shakey when I was done, but I felt fine, not dizzy or lightheaded or anything. I think part of the reason was taking it easy, and also having the food laid out in advance.

I'll try some of these ideas, they sound great.
yhahmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 03:58 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 244/234/135

Height: 5'6"

My favorite thing to eat before a workout is a banana. It really keeps me full without feeling bloated like a big meal would right before a workout, and just enough energy from carbohydrates to get through it. About 30 minutes afterwards(the time it takes me for a shower and all that) I prefer to eat a meal with a focus on protein. I haven't had lightheaded/shaky issues in relation to workouts for a long time now. ^^

Last edited by Horo; 11-12-2010 at 03:59 AM. Reason: because the redundancy department of redundancy visited my post
Horo is offline   Reply With Quote