Old 11-10-2010, 01:32 PM   #1  

Exclamation New and Looking for Support - Tired of Negativity

Hey all. I'm new here and new to IP. I'm here looking for some IP support.

I'm 27, 5'6" and roughly 271 lbs. I have one daughter and have been unable to conceive another child even with drugs to help. I have PCOS which is made worse from my weight. This combined with the fact that I can't really play with my kid because it's hard to move meant that I needed to do something.

A friend of mine started IP and just recently told us about it. He has lost 55 lbs in 8 weeks. Seeing his success makes me think that I can succeed as well so I went and signed up. Now I'm starting to hear all the comments about how I'm going to make myself sick, I'm going to ruin my hair and nails, I'm going to ruin my insides, etc.

How do you all survive this? My family is 150% supportive, but nobody else is. They keep telling me what an unhealthy choice I am making. Combine that with the impending holidays and man oh man am I having a difficult time.
Cinnleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:51 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 248.6/215.6/155

Height: 5'7"

Hi, Cinnleigh! Welcome!

There have been nay-sayers regarding low carb diets ever since I can remember - and that's a long time! I gave up trying to change their minds - they will have to find out for themselves.

You are not going to ruin your health. Your excess weight is what's doing that. Low carb eating is the best thing you can do for yourself. This is true for anyone - not just for those trying to lose weight. Getting rid of all the sugar, starches, and refined carbs will do wonders for every single person out there.

My advice is to stick to the IP plan and prove them wrong. Even with the holidays coming up, you will notice that your attitude toward food will change dramatically.
gibster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:44 PM   #3  

I would explain to them that it's more of a nutrition program than a diet. If done properly, the idea is to be able to maintain healthy eating habits by the end. Also, most clinics are run by doctors. The person I heard about this from was actually recommended by their dr. to do this or probably die (because of many medical issues). Read the information, it actually is designed to reprogram your body into a healthy state of functioning. There are a few possible side effects, but from what I've heard, they are temporary.
Make yourself informed and be motivated. That way you can succeed and be able to explain the program. But definitely discuss this with your dr first to make sure it will work for you. And once you begin, it gets easier to follow the program each day... seems your tastes tend to change. And your results will encourage you to stick with it. Even on the slow loss weeks.

Last edited by 100ButterflyKisses; 11-10-2010 at 02:47 PM.
100ButterflyKisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:48 PM   #4  
WhoDatChick

S/C/G: 229/189.0/150

Height: 5'7"

I'm new too...just started my 3rd week and am down 14lbs. Don't let anyone talk you out of this!! This will change your life! It's beneficial for you, your husband and your child!!
whodatchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:11 PM   #5  
maintenance since 2/16/11

S/C/G: size 18 to 8...75 pounds gone

Height: 5'6"

Don't tell anyone about what diet you are on....just saying you are watching what you eat. I too was a nay-sayer when my friend did this diet over a year ago...now that I have been on it 2 months....I just didn't understand it...shame on me.

It is a great diet...relish it...enjoy it...YOU WILL FEEL WONDERFUL ON IT!:carrot :

I have lost 35 pounds in 2 months and love the diet. Don't look back and avoid telling people how it is you are losing the weight...I always say the program I am on.
darbs7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:19 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 175/156/140

Height: 5'0"

I too have PCOS and have had much success with this diet!! Been on IP for eight weeks and lost twenty pounds!!!!
My Ob/gyn always told me with PCOS its the chicken and egg scenario. Another words what came first did the PCOS cause the weight or did the weight cause the PCOS.
Keep your head up about conceiving. I have had two children successfully with PCOS.
Those who are negative I say are only ignorant and don't know the true facts.
Good Luck in your quest, and this is a great place for support!
lobolexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:28 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 219.9/168.7/169.0

Height: 5'9"

Hey there Cinnleigh and welcome... You will find this forum to be a wealth of information and the more you know the more prepared you are to handle the naysayers.. Dr Tran wrote a book ``The Unbalanced Diet Approach to a Slimmer You'', that explains the program beautifully and it is always in the beginning of the daily thread so my advice is to do what I did, print it out and take a highlighter as you read it and make those notes that will help answer the negative that people who don't understand the program will try to hack at you...

Try to remember that yes there are unfortunately programs that are out there that do danger but this is not one of them. Dr Tran transitions us through the program ( I don't like the word diet) so that by the time we get to Phase 4 - maintenance we are so educated on how to make the best food choices for us as well as our bodies are prepared to handle the foods we choose... I don't know how you approached the program but I did and still do pick and choose who I allow to know about how I've lost weight. It's easy to judge those that will not embrace it so for them I just say I've cut back my sugars and carbs and have focused more on veggies and protein.. I am making healthier choices and they usually let it go with that. Those that I feel truly will understand what I've done and appreciate it then I tell them you should check out this amazing program. Plus over the 5 months I've been on this program I have learnt to just say heyyyyyyyy this is about me and if you don't want to be on my cheerleading squad then I just ask you to keep that opinion to yourself.. Once the weight starts to fall off you they change their tune and yeah you still have the one who is waiting for you to slip up or put it back on but then I ask myself are they really worth the "friend" value I give them.. harsh approach but you will have to make yourself number one so that you can be number one for your daughter!!! Good Luck and remember you have gained a new sisterhood on here ( as well as some gents)...
Brenley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:57 PM   #8  
Started IP 6/23/10

S/C/G: 236.6/193/170

Height: 5'9"

This is all very good information. Make sure you are fully studied up on the science of the diet. Dr. Tran's book takes the boring out of reading about science. It will help you to defend you choices too.

BTW many woman on these boards after being on the diet have conceived. There is actually a thread about making sure you use good contreception if you don't want to have a baby while being on the diet.

I understand the PCOS can create many problems with having a baby, but this diet seems to be a magic bullet. One poster a number of months ago reported that the were finalizing the adoption of a new baby and BAM she was pregnant too. How sweet.
natchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 06:53 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by darbs7 View Post
Don't tell anyone about what diet you are on....just saying you are watching what you eat.
Heh, the only problem is that I have to make and eat my lunches at work. Doesn't help that I work with a bunch of nurses.

I'm a social and habitual eater. I think that's the hardest part for me. AND my desk is right next to the kitchen.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:55 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by natchamp View Post
This is all very good information. Make sure you are fully studied up on the science of the diet. Dr. Tran's book takes the boring out of reading about science. It will help you to defend you choices too.

BTW many woman on these boards after being on the diet have conceived. There is actually a thread about making sure you use good contreception if you don't want to have a baby while being on the diet.

I understand the PCOS can create many problems with having a baby, but this diet seems to be a magic bullet. One poster a number of months ago reported that the were finalizing the adoption of a new baby and BAM she was pregnant too. How sweet.
That is great news!!
Old 11-10-2010, 07:34 PM   #11  
Restarted on 01/10/17

S/C/G: 212/212/123

Height: 5'1"

The women in my office were skeptical, too. But now a few of them want to start IP after the holidays because they've seen my 46-pound weight loss for themselves. They see that I'm not sick, nor do I look sickly. They see how great I feel and look and -- well, they want that, too!

I think the naysayers actually HELP with this program, because there is such great incentive to prove them WRONG!
amylew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 07:35 PM   #12  
maintenance since 2/16/11

S/C/G: size 18 to 8...75 pounds gone

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnleigh View Post
Heh, the only problem is that I have to make and eat my lunches at work. Doesn't help that I work with a bunch of nurses.

I'm a social and habitual eater. I think that's the hardest part for me. AND my desk is right next to the kitchen.
I eat my lunch at school (I am a teacher). I have my salad and my shake with coffee in my own mug and that helps. I always say the doctor directed program or something like that. I only give details if I feel the person can handle it.....unfortunately people can be so negative. That sucks, but I love this diet and how I am today is way healthier than how I was two months ago...so to heck with the nay-sayers. Have fun and enjoy the weight loss...and know those people are jealous....

To quote the one gentlemen on this website....

The skeptics can kiss my steadily shrinking backside....gotta love it!
darbs7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:12 PM   #13  

Cinnleigh. I was quite self-conscious about it when I started. I didn't want anyone to know that I was dieting or that I was doing a low carb, protein powder style diet. The only people who knew were my fiancé and the friends who were on the program themselves.

In the early weeks, I had my meat/fish protein at lunch with the veggies & salad some days and had the packet in the evening. In some ways that worked well for me. I was tired and hungry at dinner time and you really can't beat how fast it is to prepare a packet or open a drink box!

FYI -- you may lose hair, but not permanently. It's a condition called telogen effluvium which is brought on by stress. Going on this diet can be a shock to our bodies, which qualifies to some of our bodies as major acute stress. My nails, however, are stronger and grow faster, go figure.

With people who don't already know that you're doing IP my best tip is to get good at being vague. I had a couple of coworkers comment about my soup packet when I was in the kitchen mixing it up before heating it in the microwave. I just joked "Oh well, I'll just be well preserved." (referring to preservatives, of which there are few to none in IP packets)

For those who you've told or who already know, thank them for caring so much about you and your health. Say something like, "Thanks for letting me know. It's good to know you're in my corner." and change topics. Come up with some standard responses. Practice them till you really mean it. Then, every time someone says anything negative about your choice -- thanks, acknowledge, change topics. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Last edited by I'm svelting!; 11-14-2010 at 09:35 AM.
I'm svelting! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:11 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 165.5/137/135

Height: 5'3"

You HAVE found the support group you need here. I have appreciated all the posts so much and I read them all daily. My new "crack" instead of cheese
It is frustrating feeling like you need to defend yourself all the time. My friends keep trying to get me to have a drink with them like I used to...."oh just one" etc I read a quote on Oct 6th on this forum, my first day of IP, and it has just stuck with me "nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" I have it on stickys in my lunch bag on my fridge in my truck all over
I second the suggestion of printing Dr. Tran's book I found it to be very clear why this works.
YOU CAN DO THIS!! and keep in mind you are doing for the most important people in your life....you and your daughter. Keep coming back here for support the people here are the greatest!!
ladyvrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:27 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 147/128/115

Height: 5'

Hey Cinnleigh,
Im a new memeber aswell, i just finished my first week on the diet and ive already lost 6lbs. Once you see how easy it is to follow to diet and you start to notice a change it makes everything that much easier. Also remember that you are doing this for your health and yourself so even if they dont agree with how you are planning to lose the weight, they must agree that you are makign a smart decision by being on a plan that will help you do that. Keep up the good work!
shindabug is offline   Reply With Quote