Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 11-10-2010, 10:59 AM   #1  
trying to impress myself

S/C/G: 296/see ticker!/140

Height: 5'4"

Default side effects of Wellbutrin

hi everyone-

my psychiatrist is currently thinking of starting me on Wellbutrin. i've never taken psych meds before, so i'm a little nervous and worried about the side effects. i read that one of them could be hair loss. now, i love my hair. after surgery a few years ago, i noticed that my hair lost some of its volume, and feel out. i still have a lot of hair, but my ponytails aren't as thick as they used to be...ok i digress.
i was wondering what kind of side effects some of you all have experienced, and how bad was the hair loss, if anyone has experienced it. also, she mentioned something about wellbutrin and anxiety don't mix...any thoughts?

thanks all
fillupthesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 11:55 PM   #2  
Sammi

S/C/G: 243.5/201.5/149

Height: 5'5''

I didn't notice any increased hair loss from being on it. The only side effects I had were at the beginning. I cried for like two days for no reason and had trouble sleeping. After adjusting to it I was fine, though.
aliquot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 12:11 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 155/150/129

Height: 5'4''

This is the first antidepressant I went on about a year ago. Usually your doc will start you out on a low-ish dose and then you bump it up every week or two until you feel better. For me, it took a week and a half or so to notice any effects, and I noticed I felt more alert and kind of 'twitchy' even. My doctor prescribed xanax to help with the twitchiness, but I had several panic attacks in any case, so in my experience the stuff definitely made my anxiety worse. The wellbutrin is ok but definitely didn't bring me back to my normal pre-depression self. I've gone through several other medications since, which isn't uncommon for people with depression, so if it doesn't work for you or you don't like the side effects it's perfectly reasonable to try something else.

As for hair loss, I didn't notice any at all, but I have VERY thick hair. It is not unusual for our hair to thin as we get older, but if you notice it coming out in big chunks that's not fun. A (guy) friend of mine was on wellbutrin for awhile and noticed mild thinning, but said his hair grew back to normal when he switched to Zoloft. So, any damage probably isn't permanent. But, I'd rather have thinner hair and resolved psychological symptoms!! With all the antidepressants I've tried there's a tradeoff between feeling better mentally and dealing with the physical side effects!

Sorry I rambled on lol, take care!

ETA: One other side effect I had on wellbutrin was weight loss, go figure!

Last edited by callie999; 11-13-2010 at 12:16 AM.
callie999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 08:45 AM   #4  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Ive been on Wellbutrin for a couple years now, and possibly the only side affect is a sometimes ringing in the ears - but it is minor and only occasional. No hair loss for me, thank goodness! best wishes to you
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 04:13 PM   #5  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 166/ticker/135

Height: 5'6

in the beginning i didn't experience much at all.. but i realized i was having trouble falling asleep at night and i also lost weight from taking it. it's supposed to suppress your appetite but it didn't for me.. but i still lost weight. weird. ANDDD it actually made my anxiety worse to the point i was having panic attacks 5 times a week. but that eventually went away.
skylinedrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 04:39 PM   #6  
Jeri

S/C/G: 286/142.6/150/new goal 140

Height: 5-4

I have had a lot of hair loss, but I don't think it's related to the wellbutrin, as I was taking it for quite awhile before it started. I think it's more likely related to weight loss or another medication I'm currently taking.

As for wellbutrin side effects - insomnia, in the beginning. That went away pretty quickly, and I'm usually fine sleeping now, as long as I don't take my last dose too late in the day. I started out having to take it around 4pm, but I've slowly pushed it back and usually take it around 7pm now and I'm fine.

It completely obliterated my appetite. I'm a year out, and I still rarely feel hungry. That's actually been a great side effect, since I've lost over 100 lbs since i started it. It also managed the non-hunger related bingeing. I just don't do that anymore, at all. Another side effect (that was positive) was an almost immediate, profound increase in my sex drive. I like that one . On the whole wellbutrin has been a very positive experience for me.
eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 04:43 PM   #7  
Jeri

S/C/G: 286/142.6/150/new goal 140

Height: 5-4

Oh - I also have a panic/anxiety disorder and was warned that it could get worse, but it really hasn't. I don't have panic attacks any more frequently, and I'd say actual anxiety has probably decreased. My doctor did offer Xanax in case there was an increase in anxiety, but I hate the stuff so I turned it down. Also, I had way fewer side effects with Wellbutrin than I did with paxil.
eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 05:03 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 252/250/150

Height: 5'6"

I am currently on Wellbutrin after gaining 60 lbs on Zoloft/ Cymbalta.

I have only noticed positive side effects with Wellbutrin, at least in comparison to the other antideppresants I have tried.
What I have noticed are an increased sexual performance, still not in the league of before I was on ADs, but better than the other drug experiences.
As well, I have also lost my profound carb craving and have lost 25 lbs in the last few months.

I hope it works out well for you. Ironically, Wellbutrin was the first drug my physican suggested and I decided to go with Zoloft instead...sheeesh
Macomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:39 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 326/274/190

I have panic/anxiety and depression. No side effects at all from Wellbutrin. Did not make my anxiety worse but it did make the depression go away. I also take Prozac so that could also have something to do with it not making my anxiety worse.
odonnela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:43 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 210/180/165 lbs 95/82/75 kgs

Height: 5'10

Have you heard of dailystrength.org? They have heaps of reviews on meds, they probably have hundreds on this if you're interested.

I was tossing up between Wellbutrin and Remeron but went with Remeron because I was scared of anxiety with Wellbutrin (I have chronic anxiety disorders and can't afford more).

I wonder how it would have been if I'd taken it instead because the Remeron combined with Xanax withdrawals was vile. I saw Xanax mentioned and I don't want to be presumptuous but after the time I've had, be careful with benzos! They can sneak up on you quickly.
Sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:46 AM   #11  
Too big to fail!

S/C/G: 202.8/192/150

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macomom View Post
I am currently on Wellbutrin after gaining 60 lbs on Zoloft/ Cymbalta.

I have only noticed positive side effects with Wellbutrin, at least in comparison to the other antideppresants I have tried.
What I have noticed are an increased sexual performance, still not in the league of before I was on ADs, but better than the other drug experiences.
As well, I have also lost my profound carb craving and have lost 25 lbs in the last few months.

I hope it works out well for you. Ironically, Wellbutrin was the first drug my physican suggested and I decided to go with Zoloft instead...sheeesh
I am currently on Wellbutrin (for about 10 years now) with a second med always added in. For the past 5 years it's been Cymbalta. Due to insurance issues I am forced to stop taking the Cymbalta. I am having a difficult time getting off of it due to the withdrawl effects. Did you experience any withdrawl effects? How did you get off it?
I want this bad, bad medicine out of my system.....
pamelasusan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:28 AM   #12  
trying to impress myself

S/C/G: 296/see ticker!/140

thank you all for the insight. i've never been on AD's before, and i'm always a little cautious about any medication.
its good to know that many of you have had positive results from the medication. my psychiatrist spoke to me a bit about my anxiety levels, as she was worried that it might exacerbate it. i'm anxious at times, but nothing that i feel is out of the ordinary.
i'm going through a particularly rough time, as my boyfriend moved out to look for work in Cali and i'm just kind of stuck here in Seattle (i moved here with him). i've had bouts of depression in the past, but nothing like this. i look forward to feeling better, and having an extra push to take care of myself.
also, for those of you that have suffered from some insomnia, did your docs discourage taking tylenod/advil pm?
again, i thank you all for sharing your experience, and posting info that is so helpful
will keep posted...going to see doc in two weeks and discuss it more.
fillupthesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:47 AM   #13  
Too big to fail!

S/C/G: 202.8/192/150

Height: 5'3

I was taking Tylenol PM for a long stretch of time. My psych said that it was not good to have pain medication in me all the time when I didn't need it. An otc sleep aid has the same sleep aid in it I believe without the pain med.
My doctor prescribed me a very lose dose of Klonopin to help with my sleep and it is an anti anxiety med as well. It helps me sleep and keeps me a bit calmer overall.
pamelasusan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:51 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 326/274/190

When my anxiety/panic was really bad I wasn't sleeping so my dr prescribed trazodone - works wonderfully.
odonnela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:21 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 215/214/150

The first 6 months I was on Wellburtin (XL 150) I lost 35 pounds and felt amazing...no more hair loss than normal. However, after that time, it stopped working for me and I might as well be taking placebos now. I read online about Wellburtin and had I read that stuff before I started it, I would have never wanted to take it because there are some scary stories. But you have to rememeber that we are all different. And I think I had mild insomnia from it in the beginning but seriously, it gave me so much energy that I could easily function on little sleep and would think "I had hardly any sleep...it is not normalto be this alert" and yet I wasn't "wired", ya know? I just wish it would have kep working for me
candyjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote