PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:34 PM   #1  
PCOS does'nt have me!!

S/C/G: 227/226.6/145

Height: 5.4

Default Anybody Having Thyroid Problems Alongside Pcos?

If so do you take levothyroxine and metformin?

I was prescribed the levothyroxine but its hard to keep a good schedule to take it while taking metformin as well....also I dont think my dose was making much of a difference before I stopped....I'm considering starting my meds or again or continuing to try to do it naturally.

Can you share how it works for you?
freakumdress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:15 PM   #2  
Food Can Eat Me =p

S/C/G: 345/see ticker/150

Height: 5' 6.5"

I had thyroid cancer and had my thyroid removed 9 years before I was diagnosed with PCOS.

I'm on Synthroid and haven't been put on any drug for PCOS (yet?).

You really shouldn't be inconsistent about taking any kind of thyroid medication.
Ive Had Enough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:44 PM   #3  

Levothyroxine should be taken first thing in the morning with just a small glass of water, then you should not eat anything for an hour. It is easiest to put it by your bed along with some water and just set your alarm a little early. If you do go on metformin then that should be taken with your meals during the day for maximum effectivness. I take both and would not give up either. When taking thyroid medicine, no matter which kind it takes a while to build up in your body so you will not get the total effect for about 6 weeks. You may not notice that it is working because of the gradual buildup, but one day you will wake up and think "Hey I feel the best I have in years" That is when it is fully working. You may also have to have some adjustments to your thyroid meds too.
For the PCOS, metformin is a wonder drug and I have been taking it for many years ( 14 to 15) and will never give it up.

I hope this is the answers you are looking for, let me know if you have anymore questions.
Bette k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:22 PM   #4  

I take my thyroid medication before I go to bed. The doc said it was okay to do that as long as I don't eat for 2 hours before I take it. I have another medication I have to take an hour before I eat and I can't have anything else with it so taking both of them meant I had to be up 2 hours before I could eat and it was just not working on days I go to work.

Also, do not take thyroid medication and then eat grapefruit or take calcium or vitamins for 2 hours after taking it. They interfere with the absorption.

If you quit taking thyroid, it will only get worse. There are no natural cures for it, it is a lifelong condition. Mine is Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and is caused by my immune system attacking the thyroid gland.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 05:19 AM   #5  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

I take levoxyl as soon as I get up. Then as I get the family fed and ready for school and work, the time zips by so when I get to my own breakfast it's already been an hour.

I used to take it before bed but way after dinner -- that worked too at that time.

When I was on Met, it was extended release so I took it all at Lunch.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote