Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 11-09-2010, 06:11 PM   #1  

Default Newbie and looking for WL surgery advice

Hi everyone! Im new here and wanted to get some WL surgery information.

I want to have the gastric surgery and want to know what I can do now to get myself ready for the surgery. Is there a special diet or vitamins I should be taking?

I have 3 more months until my insurance company will approve me. I have to visit my doctor for 6 months in a row until they will approve it. I am half way there!

I live in Chicago on the northwest side. Any suggestions on surgeons would be welcomed too!

Thanks for all the help!

Victoria
VictoriaA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:41 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

have you found a surgeon? they all have their little ways - 2 weeks of liquid protein before surgery, or not. losing some weight before surgery, or not gaining, or not gaining more than 10 pounds. you'll have to do what your surgeon wants.

but to get ready for the surgery - especially if you don't have a surgeon yet - would be to work on your personal food issues - stress eating, emotional eating, boredom eating, whatever it is. you're gonna have to do something about it at some point, ya might as well start now.

glad you're here with us!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:46 PM   #3  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

How did you decide on the gastric bypass? Have you researched all your options? Take this time to RESEARCH like crazy - the different surgical options (VSG, DS, RNY, and band), the post-op dietary and supplement requirements, the potential side effects and complications (and means of mitigating certain potential side effects), etc.

In the meantime, when was the last time you had labs drawn? I wouldn't supplement anything more than a good multivitamin and maybe some vitamin D pre-op unless you have a known deficiency (most Americans are low in vit D anyway, so chances are you're not going to OD on it anytime soon!).

You ask about a special diet, but if you're seeing your PCP for 6 months, I assume that's for the 6-month medically supervised diet requirement, so you should already be following some sort of physician-recommended plan. Beyond that, each surgeon has their own requirements for pre-op diets, so you'll have to wait until you've spoken to your chosen surgeon ad have a surgery date set.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 11:44 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 144/138/105

I think weight loss surgery can be a good option for some people especially, if their health is deteriorating. But I do strongly believe any food issues should be worked out before the surgery because if not I think the weight will come back on. I have three cousins who had gastric and all of them essentially ate through their surgery. Also, I was reading that at least two contestants on this season of biggest loser already had gastric but they gained all weight back despite. My concern, and this may not apply to you, is some people think this is a cure all and think they are going to turn into super models and still have the same food issues as before. Of course it has to be a lifestyle change but some people think it's an easy fix . Good luck and I am sure everything will go well for you.
jmeree is offline   Reply With Quote