Goal Photo Album - An unusual GOAL post

View Full Version : An unusual GOAL post

Eliana
11-09-2010, 11:19 AM
"A year from now you'll be glad you started today."

Today I have achieved a different sort of goal. I have not yet achieved my goal of losing 100 pounds, but I have achieved a more important goal for me of being on plan for one year without giving up.

One year ago yesterday, on November 8, 2009, we invited my husband's cousin over for dinner. I knew she'd lost a lot of weight. We'd seen her at intervals throughout her loss. I remember I prepared taco salad so we could serve ourselves what we wanted and she could have a healthy meal if she so desired. I also knew this was the night I was going to ask her about Weight Watchers, because I was pretty sure that's what she had done. She showed up on my doorstep tiny! She'd lost a total of 90 pounds! I couldn't believe it! When I told her I was ready for WW, she laughed at me. She said she'd done it by counting calories and eating only 1200 calories a day.

I was skeptical, to say the least. I'd already tried several diets, most notably a diet called ASAP, South Beach Diet and plain old "eating better". Nothing worked. I would lose 30 pounds and then give up, gaining back everything plus a few. I had a way of making losing weight too hard, and it really was. When I did SBD, I ate perfectly, never cheating. I worked out three hours a day 5-6 days per week. I remember swimming two miles once and I was so proud of myself. But I was exhausted and the weight loss was slow. I was putting in too much effort for the results I felt like I was getting. In my all or nothing mentality I was either all in or I was all out.

This time had to be different. I was starting out at 235 pounds. I had plantar fasciitis pretty bad. It hurt both my feet and my back to stand at the sink to do dishes. I hated hosting holiday events because it was too hard. My blood pressure had reached 155/105 and I was ignoring it. My resting heart rate was in the 90's and I often felt as though my heart was pounding out of my chest. My fasting blood sugar was 104 and that is only the high I knew about. Who knows if it ever got higher than that? I had PCOS. I had severe gastric reflux and the attacks were scary. I had to hold my breath to tie my shoes, a task I simply hated. I dreaded going up and down the stairs which made me winded. It hurt my chest to ascend and my knees to descend. I no longer fit in the seats at an old, old theater we frequented. In movie seats I knew once I squeezed my hips past the arm rests I'd be ok. I had to hop over turn styles because my hips were too wide to fit through even sideways. Bathroom stalls were uncomfortable and sometimes I touched both walls. To cross my legs at all I had to reach down, grab the cuff of my pant leg and hoist my ankle over the opposite the knee and then I had to hold it there, otherwise it would just slide right off.

Despite all this, I still felt thin. I looked in the mirror, or worse a picture, and reality always hit me like a ton of bricks. This was not me. And I hated the person I'd become. I can't say I wanted to die. But I dreamed about it and it seemed simpler and desirable. I no longer feared it.

So yes, this time had to be different. I spent some time analyzing what about my past attempts failed. And the answer was simple. My failure came from giving up. So I couldn't give up. I started with calorie counting and it was really hard. I chose to go with simple foods I didn't have to count. I ate a Slim Fast for breakfast, a Lean Cuisine for lunch and protein bars for snacks. I ate six 200 calorie meals per day. I was starving! That lasted about three months. It took me a long time to get past the hunger and even longer to get past the fatigue. I did not exercise during this time.

I found 3FC about three weeks into this. On my first day I read the amazing quote in someone's signature, "A year from now you'll be glad you started today." I knew right then that I wanted one day to write THIS post. I knew then what I had to do. I made a commitment then and there that I would remain on plan for one year without giving up no matter what. That was the most powerful moment for me! Suddenly the scale lost all its power. It didn't matter if I gained two pounds after a really hard workout. I couldn't give up. So I'd stalled for a month. It didn't matter. I'd made a commitment. I was not going to give up.

Initially I was terrified to exercise. I knew two things would happen. One, I knew I'd fall in love with it, because that’s what I do. I love being fit and feeling strong and powerful. I get addicted to that high. But I overdo it and make it too hard and always a day would come where I just couldn't do it anymore. So this time I created a baseline of must-do. My baseline is M/W/F spin class and T/TH lift. I can always fall back on this basic and "easy" routine. And if I want I can add extra activities. Several times those extras have become mundane or too hard. Running for instance. So I quit running. No big deal. Then a few months later I picked it up again. That's ok. The second thing I knew would happen with exercise was that the scale would go wonky, and it did. But it didn't matter. I was not giving up.

Finally, I mentioned the dieting started out really hard. It did. But over time 1200 calories was easy and I felt satiated. I also gradually changed over from the processed Slim Fast, Lean Cuisines and protein bars to a diet almost entirely made up of whole foods. Every month I change something in my diet, whether deleting a food group or adding new foods I'd never tried before. I gave up milk and drink only soy now. My current mission is to get rid of High Fructose Corn Syrup. It's been an easy transition because I've done it so gradually. But I am no longer constantly fatigued or constipated.

And here I am one year later and almost 80 pounds lighter! :D My blood pressure at my last reading was 102/62! My resting HR was 46!! My blood sugar in February was 86. Who knows what it is now? I have gone from a size 20 to a size 8 and from 235 pounds to a low of 156.8. I don't like to run, but I can run four miles. I love spin class and I love lifting weights. This past summer my friend and I biked 26 miles just for fun! My feet do not hurt, my knees do not hurt, I fit through turn stiles and I fit on every roller coaster.

I'm not at my poundage goal yet. I'm still considered "overweight" by BMI standards. But I would not take back this past year for all the money in the world!

So this is an unusual "goal" post. But it's my goal! It's been the number one focus of this past year for me. And here today I make another commitment to remaining on plan through November 9th, 2011. :D

235 pounds- Size 2X/20
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o166/operaeric/weight%20loss/tn.jpg

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o166/operaeric/weight%20loss/FloridaTrip2008130.jpg

160 size 8/10 small/medium (in between)...Bless my dear husband for the wonderful camera angle! LOL!

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o166/operaeric/75pounds.jpg

Updated pic: 3/5/2011 and 145 pounds, normal weight.
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o166/operaeric/IMG_0521.jpg

KimL1214
11-09-2010, 11:28 AM
You look AMAZING!!!

VickieLou
11-09-2010, 11:31 AM
:congrat: Eliana! You are such an Inspiration to Me. Keep Up The Great Work! :cheer: :cheer3: I just need to keep thinking about the positive things I gain by losing weight. Instead, of food I am being deprived of eating. I forgot to mention you look Fabulous!

fitbyforty
11-09-2010, 11:43 AM
Your story is inspiring to me Elaina,thank you.

kateleestar
11-09-2010, 12:00 PM
I must admit, that you are one of my favorite posters on here, because after I read one of your posts I generally think 'i agree with exactly that!' lol.

You are very inspiring!! Keep up the GREAT work!!! :D

EmmaD
11-09-2010, 12:15 PM
You are a spectacular example of what someone can accomplish in a year!

I love your attitude about sticking with the plan, not focusing on just losing pounds.

A big ol' :high: to you!!

cherbear
11-09-2010, 12:25 PM
Eliana, I'm crying over this post! It's such a wonderful goal you've reached! I remember reading your year goal a year ago, and it's so exciting to read this now! Congrats!

vdander24
11-09-2010, 12:34 PM
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!! An even more important one than the number goal, and you are absolutely right to celebrate!!! you look amazing!

foodmasochist
11-09-2010, 12:43 PM
i am so happy for you! The one thing i have learned is: NEVER GIVE UP. if you just keep going, it will happen. You are a trueinspiration! yay!:hug::carrot:

Eliana
11-09-2010, 01:17 PM
Awe, you guys are truly awesome. :D It's so much fun to read over such nice, complimentary, inspiring comments. I am truly inspired equally by each and every one of you!

losinlish
11-09-2010, 02:40 PM
Wow - what an inspiring story - I love that quote, "A year from now you'll be glad you started today."
My problem has always been with perseverance, and your success is helping me realize that it can be done - YOU DID IT!
You look terrific, and your healthy statistics are amazing! Way to go!

Katy Belle
11-09-2010, 02:41 PM
Wow! Congratulations!
I started yesterday. I just keep telling myself, "This is do-able!". You proved it for me! Thanks for the inspiration!

cherylmn
11-09-2010, 03:25 PM
Your post made me tear up. That was BEAUTIFUL! YOU are beautiful. Thank you for sharing it. I could relate to so much of what you wrote, and am here to give you a standing ovation for an outstanding year!!

:cp::cp::cp::cp::cp:

I wish you continued health and joy during the next year and on into your maintenance phase. Congratulations!!

Slim CB
11-09-2010, 03:45 PM
What an amazing story! It's post like these that keep me going strong!! I am so glad that I found 3FC. I dont know if I would have made it this far without it!

caryesings
11-09-2010, 04:01 PM
Excellent, excellent, excellent. I agree totally that what's made me successful for the first time ever is putting all my effort into my plan, not in the results. The results WILL follow if your plan is sound and you stay with it.

oodlesofnoodles
11-09-2010, 04:29 PM
Fantastic. That is amazing. I'm so proud of you... wow. You are so inspiring. :)

twinmommaplusone
11-09-2010, 04:34 PM
Not unusual at all~! We measure not only through lbs but through time! You've been able to keep going this whole time, It shows that you are staying on track and that helps you grow mentally stronger knowing that this time it's a forever thing! Good Job!

milmin2043
11-09-2010, 04:41 PM
Congratulations! What a terrific goal. You have so much to be proud of. You look great!!

saef
11-09-2010, 04:53 PM
Eliana, you look great. You make me want to run out & buy a paisley-print Empire top. Yeah, this is all it takes these days to trigger my developing shopping addiction. "But I NEED it!"

I'm particularly interested iny your evolution toward eating whole foods, but what was most informative for me was your way of handling exercise. Sounds like you, too, are a person who takes up enthusiasms, goes to 11 with them, and then, having put yourself under a lot of pressure, stops finding them fun & withdraws from them. I think it's great you know yourself & that you have a strategy specifically ready to combat that tendency, setting up your baseline of exercise, and letting the enthusiasm for running (or whatever you may take an interest in later) run its course & then come back around again.

You've done so much thinking about this thing, and so much work, I can't imagine you slipping back into unconscious living.

Eliana
11-09-2010, 05:29 PM
Eliana, you look great. You make me want to run out & buy a paisley-print Empire top. Yeah, this is all it takes these days to trigger my developing shopping addiction. "But I NEED it!"

I'm particularly interested iny your evolution toward eating whole foods, but what was most informative for me was your way of handling exercise. Sounds like you, too, are a person who takes up enthusiasms, goes to 11 with them, and then, having put yourself under a lot of pressure, stops finding them fun & withdraws from them. I think it's great you know yourself & that you have a strategy specifically ready to combat that tendency, setting up your baseline of exercise, and letting the enthusiasm for running (or whatever you may take an interest in later) run its course & then come back around again.

You've done so much thinking about this thing, and so much work, I can't imagine you slipping back into unconscious living.

You know, I think you and I are both unique individuals in this weight loss realm. We both come to the table with different issues that are really the core of who we are. For both of these "issues" make up both our strengths and our weaknesses. I think we both have a lot of introspection into ourselves and what makes us tick and I think that has been integral to our successes.

In many ways I understand where you have been. I think I border on exercise compulsions, but I have managed to keep it under control. I was scared to try exercise again until I read here about "skinny fat". I found it particularly amazing that a woman my height and weight could be either in a size 8 or a 14. That's a huge range. I wanted to be the woman wearing an 8 at a higher weight. I love exercise, but I do have a way of taking it too far. A perfect example is with the treadmill in our basement. I'm a numbers person. I think that's why I do so well with Spin class. In spin, there are NO numbers. There's only give-it-your-all-for-45-minutes and "perceived exertion". With my treadmill there are NUMBERS! I ran two miles yesterday, only three will do today. I ran at 4.5 yesterday, I better go for 5.0 today. :dizzy: That's where the obsessive behaviors come in and it's bad. I start to punish myself for less than what I think I should achieve.

I love talking about whole foods! It's my latest obsession. This month I discovered the Whole Foods store! My kick right now is getting rid of HFCS. I hadn't realized it was in ketchup and bread! So my mission has been to find a different brand of ketchup and a new bread. I love cooking anything I can from scratch, even yogurt.

My Michelle
11-09-2010, 08:29 PM
Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! You're a wonderful example of what we can achieve with hard work and perseverance!

saef
11-09-2010, 09:27 PM
You're the best.

:hug:

This what this place is for, so we can learn stuff about each other & share our insights & strategies.

shcirerf
11-09-2010, 11:57 PM
Eliana, you rock!

I really, love, love, love, the one year commitment philosophy! It's the right attitude.

The weight loss is important, but the health benefits and the long haul are more important goals. Plus it takes the stress out of the scale and the "pounds lost this week" issue. And for that year, I think you're more motivated to pick yourself up when you fall, because it's not about the scale or a lifetime, it's about 1 year.

You have proved that it works, and it's doable.

This doesn't say exactly how I wanted it to sound, but you get the drift. :hug::D

mom4life
11-10-2010, 10:04 AM
You look awesome! I so know what you mean, I'm 153 and my BMI still says I'm overweight.
I can't believe how different you look now. beautiful! :)

ngill
11-10-2010, 12:45 PM
very inspirational. Keep fighting the good fight

Aislin
11-10-2010, 04:16 PM
You made me cry. You are truly inspiring and I see much of myself in this post (how you were)....I am on a mission myself and am trying desperately not to let myself get frustrated.

"A year from now you'll be glad you started today."

I am stealing this quote as soon as I am permitted to use the signature feature.

Thank you for posting this.

Eliana
11-10-2010, 04:27 PM
You made me cry. You are truly inspiring and I see much of myself in this post (how you were)....I am on a mission myself and am trying desperately not to let myself get frustrated.

I am stealing this quote as soon as I am permitted to use the signature feature.

Thank you for posting this.

I think I will put it my signature once I reach maintenance. It can replace my precious ticker. :D

calluna
11-10-2010, 05:03 PM
:hug: You're the best, Eliana! Keep it up! I know I'll enjoy watching your progress over this next year, too.

shelleymarie30
11-10-2010, 06:56 PM
You look wonderful! I am rejoining after over a year of letting myself go. I hope by next year I can be where you are.

Bunny
11-11-2010, 11:11 AM
Thank you for sharing this. You are beyond awesome and I'm happy that you are sticking with it. :D

findingfawn
11-11-2010, 12:51 PM
Congrats Elaina!! You look fabulous and your story is wonderful!

Bigmid
11-11-2010, 03:04 PM
Congratulations it is a truly wonderful story. Thanks for sharing it.

jackiemomto3
11-11-2010, 09:27 PM
Wow look at that beaming smile!!! I love it!!! EXCELLENT JOB!!!!!

TooManyDimples
11-11-2010, 09:30 PM
Congratulations Elaina. I don't know who the original inspiration was, but now I'm taking the quote and I'm going to always credit you. "A year from now you'll be glad you started today." I started on my birthday (October 13) and one of my goals is to stay on plan for a year. I'd love to reach my goal weight by then, but I'll be proud no matter what on that day as long as I know I gave it all I got and stuck with it.

I'm having a bad day, not that I've gone off plan or anything, but I'm feeling down and just sorry for myself. I decided to get on 3FC and browse in hopes of finding something to cheer me up, and now that I've read this goal post, I'm feeling better already. I want to be writing a post just like yours in a little over 11 months.

I've stayed on plan 26 days as of today and that is by far a personal best. I have to give 3FC and all the wonderful people who post on here credit for helping to make that happen. I get on here everyday and read so many things that make me want to keep going. You, and robin, and so many others give us all encouragement, advice, hugs and empathy, and obviously inspiration and it's making a world of difference for me.

Congratulations on a year of success and best wishes for another! :)

TERAPET
11-11-2010, 10:08 PM
Congrats Elaina! That is a lot to be proud of!

Krizstyling
11-12-2010, 12:39 AM
WOW! This was an AWESOME post. I can relate to your story in sooo many ways as I'm sure so many of us can. It is truly amazing to see what calorie counting can do with a little bit of persistence!

Thanks for posting!

Eliana
11-12-2010, 08:55 AM
Congratulations Elaina. I don't know who the original inspiration was, but now I'm taking the quote and I'm going to always credit you. "A year from now you'll be glad you started today." I started on my birthday (October 13) and one of my goals is to stay on plan for a year. I'd love to reach my goal weight by then, but I'll be proud no matter what on that day as long as I know I gave it all I got and stuck with it.

I'm having a bad day, not that I've gone off plan or anything, but I'm feeling down and just sorry for myself. I decided to get on 3FC and browse in hopes of finding something to cheer me up, and now that I've read this goal post, I'm feeling better already. I want to be writing a post just like yours in a little over 11 months.

I've stayed on plan 26 days as of today and that is by far a personal best. I have to give 3FC and all the wonderful people who post on here credit for helping to make that happen. I get on here everyday and read so many things that make me want to keep going. You, and robin, and so many others give us all encouragement, advice, hugs and empathy, and obviously inspiration and it's making a world of difference for me.

Congratulations on a year of success and best wishes for another! :)

My birthday is 10/11. ;) I am the ultimate definition of a Libra, always the mediator.

I like to come look at stories and pictures when I have a bad day too. It was very motivational to me a the beginning but also very unreal. It didn't feel possible for me. The pictures really helped make it real and doable. I was never sure if I could ever post a made-it-to-goal post but I knew I could post an I-made-it-a-year post.

I'll look for yours 10/13/11. :D

rockinrobin
11-12-2010, 04:35 PM
Oh Eliana, I am SO happy for you. Look what you've accomplished! Just look!!

I love how you analyzed your past attempts, found the flaw and fixed it.

I find you incredibly inspirational and incredibly wise. What a pleasure to have been witness to your transformation(s). Love how you keep tweaking and keep evolving.

Congratulations for making your commitment stick. Oh and the wonderful, ensuing weight loss that's come from that commitment.

Looking forward to seeing what year #2 holds in store for you. :)

ETA: Oh and funny about the birthdays - yours in 10/11, mine is 11/12. And my daughters birthday is 11/9.

smisen
11-13-2010, 10:44 AM
Wow - your point about sticking with it even if the scale goes up down is so simple, and yet so powerful! Thanks for sharing :)

Enduring Infinity
11-13-2010, 08:57 PM
Whoohoo! Congrats! This is super inspiring and makes me really realize that I'm in it for the long haul; no matter how quickly or slowly the scale may move. =)

KenzideRhae
11-14-2010, 01:01 AM
Congrats congrats congrats! You are seriously an inspiration. :) You've done so much in a year, I can't wait to see where I'll be in February (when it'll be a year for me). Honestly, you're amazing, good job. <3

SillyFilly17
11-14-2010, 12:16 PM
Amazing! I love this goal. I'm going to use it too. I just started getting on track a couple of weeks, so this will be perfect. Thanks You!

Natoshial
11-17-2010, 08:06 PM
You look awesome! Keep up the good work. Love the blouse it looks great on you.

fat chick 123
11-18-2010, 01:21 AM
You are awesome. Incredibly awesome. I'm SO freaking glad that you reached your goal. You look INCREDIBLE and i bet you fell incredible to. Enjoy your new body. Never look back.

oh yea. and celebrate till you can't no more. you deserve it

bridietogo
11-20-2010, 06:49 AM
A huge congratulations!

You have an excellent way of telling your story, it was a joy to read. It especially shows what a strong person you are and how you choose never to give up. Well done, you deserve the health and beauty you've achieved.

Thanks for sharing your story, you're extremely inspiring.

BillBlueEyes
11-20-2010, 08:23 AM
Kudos for a year on plan.

My take is that you're spot on; your goal is to stay the course, your body will find its corresponding weight.

Happy First Anniversary; may there be many, many, more.

Matilda08
11-30-2010, 12:42 PM
WTG elaina!!

justaloozer
12-03-2010, 10:41 AM
Absolutely amazing!

Eliana
12-03-2010, 10:48 AM
Thanks everyone for the kind comments. :D This is really something that has worked for me.

My Michelle
12-04-2010, 07:11 AM
Beautiful post! And you are simply GORGEOUS!

Your posts on this site are some of my favorites, too -- you are a wonderful contributor to this community!

Thighs Be Gone
12-04-2010, 08:31 AM
What a beautiful, uplifting post. You look radiant and beautiful. I know your inside must feel great too! Congratulations. I can by your post you are not only doing the physical necessities to lose the weight, it sounds like you are becoming very mentally fit for the journey as well. I have an idea we will be at your ultimate goal before too long.

HartLover23
12-10-2010, 10:23 PM
That is such an inspiring story, and such an inspiring saying "A year from now you'll be happy you started today."

tabathargn
12-10-2010, 10:33 PM
That really is an inspiring quote. I think I will write it down and put it with my MP3 player for days I don't feel like sticking with it.

4xcharm
12-11-2010, 11:09 AM
Wowee! You give strength to all around you!

mytime2Bsuccessful
12-11-2010, 12:14 PM
Great job.

jigglefree
12-11-2010, 03:53 PM
That is such an inspiring story!! I need to read it at least once a week to stay on task. ThAnks for posting and you look absolutely marvelous!!!

joyfulloser
12-11-2010, 06:48 PM
Eliana...I just read your story and I found it nothing short of AMAZING!:)

It was exactly what I needed to hear right now. I love the way you took the power from the scale...

You look amazing...and I'm so happy for you! GREAT JOB!!! :bravo:

Cristinadoesflips
12-11-2010, 06:59 PM
I hope you realize with this post you have inspired someone else, like me, to do exactly what you did a year ago. Thank you so much for the story. It was just the right type of inspiration to make me realize I need to stick with it no matter what.

babble
12-11-2010, 08:59 PM
That's just awesome, way to go sticking with it for over a year now. The health improvements you posted are very inspiring as was the entire post. Your pictures are great also, you look so happy and healthy.:carrot:

s rosa
12-11-2010, 09:20 PM
You are such an inspiration! Your story got me all choked up. What a wonderful goal post.

Eliana
12-12-2010, 09:00 AM
You all have such inspiring, encouraging and just plain kind words. Thank you all. :) This place is simply wonderful.

Raspberry 1984
12-12-2010, 02:04 PM
great photos

Judy Lynn
12-28-2010, 12:12 PM
Eliana, What a beautiful, inspiring and moving post. Congratulations on all you have accomplished.

tea42
12-28-2010, 12:28 PM
I just read your post, and you made me cry. But in a good way! I have read some terrific posts today, but this is the only one that brought tears to my eyes. Because it gave me hope that yes, with patience and commitment, it can be done.

Thank you! Your "after" picture is simply beautiful by the way.

llmw1951
12-28-2010, 01:11 PM
Congratulations......You Look Great! Sounds like a Super Plan!

dissonance
12-31-2010, 06:58 PM
This was great to read, and really motivating as well! You should be incredibly proud of yourself, wtg!!!

JediCat
01-02-2011, 07:41 PM
Congratulations!!!! You are soooooo inspiring. You sound just like me....especially the delusional part. I hope you don't mind, but I loved your quote so much that I had to add it to my siggy to remind me why I am starting this journey. Thank you for posting your success!!! :cb:

Lori259
01-02-2011, 07:54 PM
U Look amazing & Your post Was so inspiring~I hope this brings alot more people to counting calories! ~<3 ya Hot momma & I am so Proud of you!!

Eliana
01-02-2011, 09:46 PM
Congratulations!!!! You are soooooo inspiring. You sound just like me....especially the delusional part. I hope you don't mind, but I loved your quote so much that I had to add it to my siggy to remind me why I am starting this journey. Thank you for posting your success!!! :cb:

I love that you posted that in your siggy! :D I plan to do the same when I hit 100 pounds lost.

U Look amazing & Your post Was so inspiring~I hope this brings alot more people to counting calories! ~<3 ya Hot momma & I am so Proud of you!!
Lori, you are still the fashion queen! :D I love all your "new goal" pictures you just posted. You look AMAZING!

sugar39
01-07-2011, 09:21 AM
You look great !! What an achievement. well done xx

suenos096
01-07-2011, 07:35 PM
Although I didn't read all of the posts that came before mine, I read a great deal of them and I ditto EVERYTHING that they said about you!
I just want to add thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouth ankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthan kyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthanky outhankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouth ankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthan kyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthanky outhankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouth ankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthan kyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthanky outhankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouth ankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthan kyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthanky outhankyouthankyou and THANK YOU!

southernbelle102
01-07-2011, 07:57 PM
You are such an inspiration!! I think I might add that quote to my siggy too... it is so true! I am only 6 months in and I was just thinking the other day how glad I am that I finally started this 6 months ago. If you would have told me then that I would have lost 110 lbs by now, I would have told you you are crazy. But guess what... I have :) It is so worth it!

Sasil
01-08-2011, 11:22 AM
Thank you for posting your story..you are such an inspiration. I have started my journey over just recently at my highest weight I have ever been... I'm going to take the quote you mentioned "A year from now you'll be glad you started today." and apply it to myself.
I hope to make it work this time, I am discouraged with myself that I gave up last time and now weigh more than I ever have.
Your post reminds me that it is possible to do this, there is no looking back I can do this! Thank you for sharing your inspiring story.

Proverbs169
01-08-2011, 04:12 PM
Wow, you look amazing! Quite an inspiration for a newbie like myself :)

moonkissed
01-08-2011, 06:35 PM
Your thread has been such a real inspiration to me. I had to share it with my sister even because it was just so wonderful. It is so important to remember that it is not just about the weight goal but every day, every change, every moment during that year when you make the right choices and changes.

I am saving your thread to read every single time I start to get down and want to give up. & a year from now I WILL be posting my own! Thank you :hug:

Hawaii Bound
01-09-2011, 02:45 PM
Eliana you made me cry with your wonderful and touching post. Thank you for your honesty and your encouragement for the rest of us!

TheJourneyStartsNow
01-23-2011, 04:57 PM
Wow....you story is extremely inspriring. You look absolutely incredible...you & all of the other people on here with such wonderful stories are what keep me going. Thank you & I'm thrilled for you!

time2lose
01-26-2011, 11:23 AM
Eliana,

I can't believe that I am just now seeing this! I followed the link in your signature. What a wonderful, wonderful story. I feel so happy for you. I consider you one of my friends here at 3FC. You inspire me and I am sure that you inspire others. You are a great person and so deserve this happiness!

Eliana
01-26-2011, 11:40 AM
Awe, thanks Cheryl!! You are definitely one of my friends here too. We 100 clubbers have a bond. ;)

I can't wait to post my weight goal post!!

Slimbound
02-02-2011, 02:36 PM
You look great.... good job

blueydloyalady
02-02-2011, 04:26 PM
I love your story! I keep coming back to it for inspiration!

JordanLeigh
02-02-2011, 06:35 PM
you look great!!! :) congrats!

Mary233
02-02-2011, 10:18 PM
Great job!

Rarr777
02-03-2011, 03:45 AM
I love your mentality. I also put everything on results (is the scale moving?). I decided recently to just try to live healthier and hopefully the scale will follow. You are living proof that commitment, above all, works. CONGRATS! You have reached a definite goal.

PStanley
02-03-2011, 11:46 AM
I totally relate to your story. I get addicted to thing way too easy also.
I went to OA a long time ago and got hooked on their crazy way of eating and have tried to cut myself off from potatoes, corn, bread, grapes, bananas, and the list goes on. I CAN'T STAY ON A LOW CARB WAY OF EATING!!!! Counting calories sounds much better. Maybe if I had a potato with dinner I wouldn't feel like overeating on junk later. My question for you is..
1. Did you give up any foods during your beginning calorie counting?
2. How did you track your progress?
3. Did you ever drink 1 coke or have one piece of cake during your year?

I anxiously await your reply..Thanks you..Patty

Eliana
02-03-2011, 12:43 PM
1. Did you give up any foods during your beginning calorie counting?
2. How did you track your progress?
3. Did you ever drink 1 coke or have one piece of cake during your year?

Did I give up any foods? The only "food" I gave up was pop. In the beginning I ate a lot of processed "healthy" foods that were already counted for me. These were things like Slim Fast, Lean Cuisine and protein bars. I soon found that I was lethargic and constipated and folks on this board suggested it might be my diet. Slowly I switched those out and have been much better for it! Also at the beginning I ate strictly six meals per day at 200 calories each. I do not journal because that is just something else I could potentially give up, HOWEVER, the best advice out there for MOST people is to journal every bite before it hits your mouth. I stand by that advice.

How did I track my progress? I used the scale and measurements and clothing fit and pictures. The biggest change for me was going from weighing weekly (and obsessing over the scale) to weighing daily (and not obsessing over the scale). Weighing daily taught me a lot about what exactly to expect from my body and when. I now know that it's very normal for me to lose big one week out of every month and stall the other three. That is my pattern. When I weighed weekly I just saw three weeks of a stall and one week of a huge loss. That was very frustrating.

As for pop or cake, no I did not have any pop at all, and still have not. That is the only thing I cut out and I did so because one, it's a huge trigger food for me. I had stopped drinking pop before for as much as six months, but that first drink always led to full on cravings again. So this time I just gave it up completely. Also, I did not and do not wish to drink my calories. But cake? Ice cream? Or my absolute favorite, chocolate? I eat all that in moderation, frequently actually. It is definitely in my calorie budget. ;) But I was never a binge eater. I know I always have control over my portion sizes with treats. They do cause cravings now and then, but I know that if I can go without for three days and just get through those three days, I will be good to go again.

I hope that answered all your questions. :)

Sanya77
02-12-2011, 02:57 PM
Your weight loss journey and struggle is very motivating. Hopefully someday I will write there too.:)

HUBeauty06
02-13-2011, 04:41 PM
AMAZING JOB!!!!! You are truly an inspiration!

bigeyes
02-13-2011, 04:48 PM
WOW! You Look amazing,...:D

elaine19
02-14-2011, 11:15 AM
I really appreciate your honesty, thank you for sharing. Congratulations on your success:)

Shu
02-21-2011, 02:14 PM
Go Elaina go!!!! Thanks for the motivational pictures. You look fantastic :)

MamaP
03-16-2011, 01:13 PM
Eliana ~ I am just today seeing this post (I should have paid more attention to your signature line :) ). Congratulations on making it a year on plan! I knew you could do it. You are truly an inspiration! My one year passed on February 25 and, unfortunately, I didn't manage to stay on plan for that whole year - I made it almost 9 months before losing focus. I have faltered, a lot, over the past 4 months and gained back close to 20 lbs. I am back on track and have lost 8 of those 20 and am finally done beating myself up for the lost time. "One year from now, you'll be glad you started today" was also my favorite quote found on 3FC and have it taped to my computer monitor. Although I know I could be further along in my weight loss journey, I am still glad I started when I did and am still proud of the progress I have made. Someday I hope to be an inspiration and help to others on 3FC, just like you and so many others have been to me.

mummyof3
03-18-2011, 07:16 AM
Your story is so inspiring thanks for sharing it! :)

bananapancakes
03-18-2011, 11:54 PM
Love the updated pic- you're glowing, you look healthy and happy. Great dress choice!

NurseJessie
03-22-2011, 01:21 AM
[QUOTE=Eliana;3560398]"A year from now you'll be glad you started today."

I found 3FC about three weeks into this. On my first day I read the amazing quote in someone's signature, "A year from now you'll be glad you started today." I knew right then that I wanted one day to write THIS post. I knew then what I had to do. I made a commitment then and there that I would remain on plan for one year without giving up no matter what. That was the most powerful moment for me! Suddenly the scale lost all its power. It didn't matter if I gained two pounds after a really hard workout. I couldn't give up. So I'd stalled for a month. It didn't matter. I'd made a commitment. I was not going to give up.

Hey there, I just read your post, and I'm not going to lie, it made me tear up a bit. I found this site...wow, almost a year ago, and, here I am, the same size I was when I found it back then. I keep telling myself, I just need to do it. I know it's not all going to happen at once and, maybe that's my problem, I'm all about instant gratification. I want to see the change immediately. But, that quote...a year from now you'll be glad you started today...if, I had started when I first found the site...I think I'd be a lot happier than I am now. I think....aside from looking at myself in the mirror as I type this and noting the horrible resemblence to Jabba the Hut....you just gave me some much needed motivation...so, thank you. And, as a side note...I have plantar fasciitis in my right foot...any recommendations for working out that's not going to kill my foot? Thanks again. Jessie

pamatga
03-22-2011, 09:58 AM
NurseJessie Well, I understand your feelings but I too have also allowed yet another year to pass and I was the same weight, if not a few pounds more. I paniced last June and realized that yet another birthday was coming up shortly and here I hadn't "done anything" about my weight. Well, I had an inspired 6 weeks where I was able to lose 25 lbs. I gained back a couple here and there and I resumed my weight lose efforts about 6 weeks ago, which by the way "sucked" BIG TIME! However, I do have that resolve now that no matter how difficult it will be to chip off the rest of this extra weight I will do it no matter how long it takes. I may be the last one on this site and told to turn out the lights when I am done but I will be here until this gets done!

As for instant gratification, that is a struggle that will not go away in one day, one diet or one lifetime....you will have times when you sail through it and other times you will motion sickness from the boat rocking so hard. Expect that it will be with you just like your eye color or whatever is quinesstentially "you". You will find your own way through, just allow yourself the journey to be taken.

If you would like additional help you can come and join us on "Beck Diet Solution" here on 3FC. That helps give you the tools to work with your weight lose plan.

As for plantar fascitis, which I used to have, a podiatrist and some orthotics helped me. So, did getting really supportive shoes even if they weren't exactly "fashionable". It does go away but you have to treat the underlying problem: our extra weight puts a lot of stress on our lower body especially our feet. For me, it was worth the efforts and relearning I had to do so I could have "happy feet".;)

Eliana
03-22-2011, 10:39 AM
Yeah, NurseJessie, like pamatga, I would invest in really good shoes. ;) For past five years I have owned two pairs of shoes. One was a $200 pair of every day tennis shoes with $250 inserts. :dizzy: The other was a pair of $200 casual/dressy shoes that the previously mentioned inserts fit into. Now my feet have narrowed to the point those shoes no longer fit and I have just starting building my shoe wardrobe again. But I buy high quality, well fitting shoes now, which for me means I have to special order them. :rolleyes: But it's so worth it!

The doctors recommend stretching, and I remember mine warning me not to over stretch. It was good advice I should have listened to! It's very easy to over stretch so go about it lightly, not to the point of pain. It feels great just to sit and roll a tennis ball under your feet. Ice at night, heat in the morning.

This may be coincidence, I'm not sure, but I swear the elliptical took care of mine for me. It could have been that I strengthened the calf muscle. I wore a soft night shoe that stretches the foot for a long time, but nothing worked until I hopped on that elliptical.

ducktape54
03-27-2011, 05:59 PM
congrats!

PinkFairy
03-31-2011, 07:48 AM
Congratulations! You look beautiful!! And you're right, never give up!

Asheline
04-05-2011, 06:28 PM
Eliana:
I'm new to this board, and WOW your post inspired me ! I'm starting out at about the same weight and I want to get down to 150. I have tried half-heartedly many many times to lose weight but this time is different !
Thanks for your story it is so inspiring !

Kiyoshima
04-05-2011, 07:16 PM
What an awesome story! Thanks so much for sharing it. This really gives me the motivation not to give up. Even if I haven't lost 120lbs and reach my goal weight in a year, I know that I will be a better (and healthier) me then when I started.

Dilli Doo
04-08-2011, 03:19 PM
That is the most wonderful, beautiful, inspirational story I ever heard. You look fabulous but even more than that, you sound fabulous! I am going to read this every time I feel like throwing in the towel. Much ♥ to you!

MrsMomOrtiz
04-08-2011, 08:46 PM
Wow! I'm so happy for you! I actually cried reading the very first post! Like you I've struggled with different diets, fitness programs...always giving up! My 2011 New Years Resolution is to diet all year long! My goal is also 1200 calories/day.
You look amazing! Way to go to you AND to your cousin (-in-law)! I am inspired and motivated by your achievement!

Eliana
04-08-2011, 09:08 PM
You guys are so sweet! I'm happy to be here to encourage and hopefully to inspire in the same way I have been encouraged and inspired by so many around here!

lagorditadecolorado
06-19-2011, 07:02 PM
Congratulations! You look great! Thank you for the inspiration, I'm just getting started today and thank you for such a fantastic goal! It takes some of the pressure off of specific numbers and just gives a goal to stick with it, how can you go wrong if you follow that? Thanks again!

hoping1281
06-27-2011, 03:58 PM
Wow that was a great post. You just made me open my eyes and realized that what you have done in the past about giving up was my problem as well. I over work myself about losing weight so when I could not take it anymore I give up. When the pounds come creeping back in, I lose all hope and think I will never be skinny ever. I lived with that thought for many many years after so many weight loss attempt that failed. Now if there is ever a time when I feel like giving up, I will think about this post and pull through because I know sooner than later, I will reach my goal by not giving up.

fatferretfanatic
06-27-2011, 04:59 PM
Great job!!!! You look fantastic, and you are an absolute inspiration!

tiffabuttons
03-08-2012, 08:55 PM
You look wonderful :) congrats!!

smarkey
03-09-2012, 12:37 AM
Thanks so much for sharing -- you are an inspiration! And you look great - even more importantly, you sound really proud of yourself - as you should be.

jazzyjas
03-09-2012, 04:12 AM
beautiful!!