Old 11-08-2010, 08:42 PM   #1  
~Kim~

Default Snack suggestions

I need some new ideas. I do fruit of course, and I get all my veggies at lunch and dinner. I usually have a small serving of nuts everyday. Sometimes I have a babybel cheese (love those). My evening snack is usually a fat free yogurt or a low fat fudgesicle. I'm doing calorie cycling so on my high calorie days I sometimes do peanut butter on celery.

I did have some Dove dark chocolate pieces that are only 42 calories each and I was having one or two of them in the evening, but now that they are gone I've decided to see how long I can go without stuff like that at all. I also finished off my 100 calorie bags of kettle corn, and I'm going to try to go without those since they are high in carbs.. salt and sugar and all.

I just need some new ideas so I don't get bored eating the same things over and OVER again.
TooManyDimples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:00 PM   #2  
Back in the saddle again

S/C/G: 249/ticker/149

Height: 5'6"

I like plain oatmeal, made with splenda and 1/2 cup unsweetened chocolate almond breeze or pumpkin oatmeal (add a couple spoons of pumpkin to plain oatmeal and use sugar free syrup as sweetener, along with lots of spices). I'll add fiber powder to either to up the fiber count. If you buy a carton of oats instead of single serve, it's easy to adjust portion size to match calorie needs -

If you're going for more protein, I like Special K (protein version) or Kashi Go Lean with some splenda and unsweetened chocolate almond breeze, or hard-boiled eggs, mini veggie omelets, roasted chicken tenders, or turkey or ham cold cuts wrapped around sticks of your favorite cheese.

For desserts, I also like sugar free vanilla pudding with original Fiber One sprinkled on for crunch (excellent with some banana or berries), sugar free Tropical popsicles, or fruit "crisp" - fruit warmed/cooked in the microwave with spices and sweetener(unless they're already plenty sweet) and topped with a bit of granola.

I'm always looking for ideas too
spixiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:55 PM   #3  
~Kim~

I can't do oatmeal. It makes me gag, I think it's the texture. Not super fond of the taste either.

Pudding is a good idea.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:30 PM   #4  
Yogini

S/C/G: 152/ticker/115

Height: 5' 3''

How many calories do you want your snacks to be?

I found that I can eat an egg mcmuffin for 200 calories. Multigrain english muffin is 130 and an egg is 70. It's basically a meal so a very filling snack for sure!

Other snacks I like are:

Luna Bars (180)
Miso soup (35)
Imagine butternut squash soup - 100 calories per cup
greek yogurt (140)
apples, bananas
nuts
cheese - light string cheese (50), light babybels (50), cottage cheese (90)
pickles with tofurky (this is a soy turkey, if you eat meat, regular turkey will do)
hummus with crackers. I found these brown rice crackers that are about the size of a ritz. I can eat 9 for only 60 calories. AMAZING!!!
olives - i just love olives so maybe this snack only appeals to me
I also bought some protein powder that's 100 calories but I haven't tried it yet.

Last edited by Wildflower; 11-08-2010 at 10:34 PM.
Wildflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:12 PM   #5  
Back in the saddle again

S/C/G: 249/ticker/149

Height: 5'6"

ooooh...I forgot about olives. Now I'm going to have to make sure and pick some up next time I go to the store

Also, yay on the soups - I usually make a big vat of hot and sour soup in the fall and take 1 cup servings for snacks (about 50 cals since it's mostly broth, tofu, and bamboo shoots)

I also like baked apple chips when I'm craving crunchy -

I've heard that if you spice up some garbanzo beans and bake them for about an hour, they get super crunchy...I'm not a fan of garbanzo beans usually, but I might have to give that a shot-

Also, if you take turkey pepperoni and microwave it for a minute or two, it gets crunchy and chip-like. You have to play a bit to get the timing right, and wait for them to cool for them to get really crispy, but I think they're tasty.
spixiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:36 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 200/176/140

Height: 5'4"

dried apricots (100)
1/2 c. low-fat cottage cheese (90)
apple (90)
banana (110)
mousse temptations (60) love these!
cup-a-soup (50-60 depending on flavor)
Dried cherries (140)
~8 baby carrots (35)
Light laughing cow cheese wedge (35) + 5 whole wheat crackers (70)
2 rice cakes (90)
Pudding..yogurt..jello..oranges..pineapple..raspbe rries

Just to name a few I like for snacks..

Last edited by LindseyLou; 11-08-2010 at 11:36 PM.
LindseyLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 06:11 AM   #7  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

Roasted cabbage and onions: enough to fill a salad bowl is only 200 calories. Salt, pepper, and a little soy and it's delicious.
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:22 AM   #8  
~Kim~

Thanks everyone. =)
Old 11-09-2010, 08:34 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 267.8/211/150

Height: 5'2"

Yogurt/Greek yogurt (Greek runs about 120-160 for 6 oz)
Fruit
Fiber One bars (140... Kellogg's version have about 120-130)
popcorn (smart pop is only 100 calories a bag and they have butter flavor and kettle corn)
Reduced fat triscuits (7) with a wedge of Laughing Cow cheese (155 total)
String cheese (50 for reduced fat, 80 for regular)
Cottage cheese (90-100)
Sugar free pudding or Jello Mousse Temptations (the caramel ones taste like creme brulee!) (60)
Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches (140-160)

Last edited by Bac0s; 11-09-2010 at 08:35 AM.
Bac0s is offline   Reply With Quote