General chatter - Daylight savings time (DST) hate it or love it?

19Deltawifey
11-08-2010, 06:39 PM
I was wondering if others hate it of love it, plz explain.

I hate going back to standard time, it seems like the more years that go by the more I hate it. My reason for hating standard time (ST) is because it is now 430pm and the sun is going down, I love sunlight. I run 4 days a week in the morning at around 6am and usually its pitch black outside until about 7 when the sun starts to rise. But this morning the sun started to rise around 545am. It would be nice to have the sunlight later in the day because it seems like a waste having the sun up so early when people are still in bed. Plus my husband doesn't get off of work til 530ish and it will be night time. I haven't heard to many people who like ST, so I really want to hear what others think.

Also I didn't mind working out early in the dark because my kids were still asleep because it was still dark out but now since the sun is up when I start running I worry about them waking up early. I guess I should point out that I exercise in my garage with the lights on when my kids are asleep upstairs. Just tell me what yall think about DST and standard tim, if you like feel free to say what you think whether or not you like it :) I wish we could have DST forever.

EDITED: because I screwed up what I was trying to say. I hate falling back into standard time and wish we had DST year around.

jules1216
11-08-2010, 06:42 PM
HATE it whether a lost hour or a gained one...it kicks my butt for at least 3 days...

GradPhase
11-08-2010, 06:48 PM
LOVE IT

Especially in Alaska where we have dramatic long dark winters, and all-day sunshiney summers - trying to keep a balance between the light (or lack of) outside, and the "time" we run our lives by inside is sooo crucial. The extra hour of sleep gives us an extra hour where we aren't expected to function in the very dark cold, and the hour we lose in the summer is a refreshing challenge to get out and do more.

GreenTeaYum
11-08-2010, 06:57 PM
Honestly, I'm not a fan at all.

I hate the sudden hour change twice a year. My body gets so into a routine with my sleep patterns and it absolutely kills me for the first couple of weeks. Last night, I probably only got 3 hours of sleep. I had a horrible time falling asleep because it got dark so early (I don't know why...) and I woke up at the normal 6:30am and couldn't fall back asleep for the remaining hour. It seems silly because it's only an hour difference, but it throws me off so bad.

I hate having it get dark so early. I just seem to shut down after it's dark outside. I have absolutely 0 motivation to workout. After work in the winter, I just come home and slump down for the evening. Not this year though! I'm going to REALLY try to keep active even if it is dark out. :)

sacha
11-08-2010, 07:11 PM
I used to love it until this year.

Now my baby wakes at 4am instead of 5am :(

dragonwoman64
11-08-2010, 07:26 PM
not a fan, come home in the dark now, which isn't horrible, but...sunshine! come back!

yeah, it takes me a couple of days to adjust too, it sure doesn't feel like GAINING an hour (I'm pooped right now!!)

cornellchick
11-08-2010, 07:38 PM
I feel I should point out that we are now back on STANDARD time; we were on Daylight time between spring and this past Sunday. The whole point of Daylight time is to give us just that - more daylight in the evenings.

The change can be jarring but it only knocks me off balance for a couple of days or so. I don't like the dark evenings on Standard time, but what can you do... it's winter.

theCandEs
11-08-2010, 07:45 PM
You beat me to it, Cornellchick, I was thinking the same thing. Anyway, I love "falling back" into standard time. I'm in the eastern time zone, despite being in Alabama where most of the state is Central time, and it doesn't get dark at 5 here, but 6 pm, which is fine with me. I like having the extra hour, because I will sleep in if given the chance. ;)

lazylioness
11-08-2010, 08:07 PM
I like it when we fall back but not spring forward. It is easier for me to get up in the fall and get stuff done (like working out) HAHA.

spixiet
11-08-2010, 08:14 PM
HAAAAATTTTTEEEE it :mad:

I hate springing forward into Daylight savings, and I hate falling back to standard (although I definitely hate springing forward more). I have a hard time falling asleep and a hard time staying asleep, so anything that messes with my sleep in addition just makes me really unhappy~

dudesmom
11-08-2010, 08:19 PM
I always loved the extra hour of sleep, but yesterday my kids woke up at 7:19, so that totally blew the extra sleep idea right out of the water! :) Also, it seemed to really throw them way off schedule for everything, especially eating and sleeping. Today was fine though.

19Deltawifey
11-08-2010, 08:38 PM
LOL sorry about the mishap I had no idea about standard time and DST until I read a article a couple of mins ago. I meant standard time since that is what we are in now, I guess I prefer DST. I'm thinking about editing my post now so I don't look to much like a idiot lol

saef
11-08-2010, 09:38 PM
Hate it.

I was driving home in the dark, damp chill & thinking it makes me want to scurry straight home, and that's not good, when I've got a gym to go to.

It means that to be exposed to some actual daylight, I need to get outside during my lunch hour at the office. Which can be hard to do.