PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 11-07-2010, 11:56 PM   #1  
PCOS does'nt have me!!

S/C/G: 227/226.6/145

Height: 5.4

Default How has weight loss helped with your PCOS symptoms?

Just want to know your starting weight, how much you've lost and what symptoms you had that you dont have anymore?
freakumdress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:56 AM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Man losing weight has TOTALLY improved my PCOS. I started at 235 lbs, no periods, TERRIBLE dandruff to where I couldn't wear dark clothes, acne ALL over my body, lots of hair on my face, I was always tired, my sleep apnea was worse, etc.

I am down to around 201-204 right now and my dandruff has greatly improved- it's pretty much gone. I actually get a period, I have no more acne on my body, the hair on my face seems to be less, I'm not tired like I used to be, and I actually was retested and my sleep apnea is better the pressure on my machine was decreased. My doctor thinks if I lose 20 more lbs I won't need a CPAP anymore.

I did start taking a multivitamin and an extra vitamin D/Calcium supplement to help with my fatigue- I had my vitamin D tested and it was very low and the doctor said it contributes to obesity and actually makes insulin resistance worse. I have felt so much better since starting the vitamins (took a few weeks) and losing the 35ish pounds- the doctor was right just 10% will make a huge difference I'm loving my healthy skin
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:07 AM   #3  
PCOS does'nt have me!!

wow....i have all those same symptoms..but i find it extremely hard to do almost anything because of a lack of energy. I was on so many meds that i got fed up and decided to periodically stop everything and start over. I want to see a doc dbut have no health insurance so right now im trying to figure out how to do this the natural way. I do have a script for metformin tho but i had stopped taking it cuz i wasnt sure how it was affecting me.

I see that you started around the weight i am now. I think my main problem is having the discipline and energy to exercise and eat right.

How do you exercise?
Old 11-08-2010, 12:12 PM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Well, I started at 295, with no periods, facial hair growth, acne (particularly body acne), etc. Then I lost 125 lbs. And after getting to maybe 250, my periods came back and my symptoms lessened.

Then, after I'd maintained for about a year, they all came back. So I don't know if I made them "go away" so much as I moderated them with weight loss for a period of time.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:40 PM   #5  
PCOS does'nt have me!!

@Mandalinn82
Hmmm very interesting....funny how every book i ever read never mentions that plateau period of things coming back...I'm gonna look into that....thanks...and congrats.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:46 PM   #6  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

There are others here for which weight loss has permanently lessened symptoms, and others who had an experience like mine. Some PCOS may be more responsive to losses than others, so it's kind of impossible to predict.

I shouldn't say all of my symptoms came back, actually. The body acne (which I strongly believe was blood sugar related) stayed away, because my blood sugar is pretty stable with the way I eat now. It pops up a bit if I eat more sugar than normal, though.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:00 PM   #7  
Kickin PCOS's Butt!

S/C/G: 240/Ticker/150 Ultimate Goal

Height: 5' 3"

Mine is about the same. VERY tired, acne, no periods. Now pretty much all of it is better. I just found out I ovulated on my own for the first time in years. Acne really only hits around my period. And I have a ton more energy. I don't feel the need to nap during the day anymore.
For me I have found running to be the best form of exercise for me. But I LOVE to run. I really think it has helped with my insulin problems too.
PinkHoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:05 PM   #8  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

The energy thing you should get looked at. I felt like a walking zombie and it turned out I had sleep apnea. I was fitted for a CPAP and did much better. Since you don't have insurance I REALLY REALLY recommend you start taking multivitamins (not the gummy ones) to help with the fatigue- a lot of times fatigue comes from not eating right- and I thought I was eating healthy but turns out I was still lacking in nutrients.

I saw a nutritionist- told her I had PCOS- and she highly recommended the south beach diet for me. I still eat on the lower carb end- I say I'm on phase 1.5 cuz I haven't added much grains or fruit back into my diet to be fully on phase 2.

I exercise a decent amount actually. At first I HATED to exercise. Everyday I talked myself into it- literally spent half an hour talking myself into it before I did it. I would often do other things to avoid working out then feel bad later.

SOOOO I finally told myself that exercise WILL be scheduled into my life and I'm not messing around anymore. I got a cheap treadmill on craigslist for less than $100. The first day? I did two minutes then stopped- I was so dead- I was discouraged but my nutritionist continued to encourage me. She said "give me 10 minutes a day" and I was determined to do that. Eventually I got to the point where I could do 1/2 an hour to an hour a day So start out small and work up- don't do something you hate either- try to find something you love.

Oh I also go for walks on my lunch- so 5 days a week I go for a walk for half an hour- it really does help Only time we don't go is if it's raining or over like 90F outside.

Recently my husband has decided to work out with me so we are doing the P90X, that's an extreme program I do not recommend for beginners- but I'm really enjoying the program and have already started seeing results.

My PCOS symptoms haven't come back so much- I may have a touch of dandruff here and there but NOTHING like before.

So right now my workouts mainly consist of 30 minutes of walking 5x a week and then doing my P90X 6 days a week, I throw in a run when I feel like it- but it's not too often like it was when I wasn't doing the P90X.

Last edited by beerab; 11-08-2010 at 01:06 PM.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:28 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 255/ticker/135

I notice a dramatic improvement in symptoms when I lose weight. This is my second go at losing weight, as I gained back just about everything the first time around.

At a higher weight I have acne (facial and body), facial hair, and my periods stop. I never noticed fatigue that was out of the ordinary; I did have fatigue, but I assumed it was due to me carting around an extra 125 lbs.

At a lower weight my acne is dramatically decreased (still get the occasional one), my facial hair is still there but it isn't as "aggressive," and I have regular periods.

I tend to think about PCOS as a chicken and egg thing. Did my weight cause the PCOS symptoms, or did the PCOS symptoms contribute to my weight? For me, I don't actually have any cysts, and my doctor diagnosed it as PCOS based on the facial hair/acne/no periods. I tend to lean on the side of thinking that my weight was causing the hormonal issues, rather than the reverse. I know that for some people it's different, and PCOS is a significant contributor to weight gain. Maybe that has something to do with whether or not symptoms are permanently lessened after weight loss?
Katheryne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:39 PM   #10  
The girl who can

S/C/G: 240/207.8/165

Height: 5'6"

I don't think the weight loss has made my PCOS symptoms more manageable, but rather the things that I changed to achieve that weight loss - diet (low carb, whole foods, IR Diet) and exercise (balance of cardio and strength training). Taking daily supplements (Cinnamon and Saw Palmetto) is a factor as well.

Last edited by Rochester; 11-08-2010 at 01:41 PM.
Rochester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:51 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

For me, changing my diet is what started making me feel better. The weight loss was an added benefit (that I need to have, to be healthIER).

I used to think I could exercise myself out of this but I am certain that for ME, at least, 80-90% of my success is food/diet related. If I don't watch what I eat, it doesn't matter how often or how much I exercise, my weight will remain the same AND I will stop getting my periods.

When I am careful with my food, my periods come every 35 days, I lose weight, I am more energetic, I feel better, I don't get acne, the whole 9 yards.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 03:19 PM   #12  
PCOS does'nt have me!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
There are others here for which weight loss has permanently lessened symptoms, and others who had an experience like mine. Some PCOS may be more responsive to losses than others, so it's kind of impossible to predict.

I shouldn't say all of my symptoms came back, actually. The body acne (which I strongly believe was blood sugar related) stayed away, because my blood sugar is pretty stable with the way I eat now. It pops up a bit if I eat more sugar than normal, though.
Same seems to be true for me...as far as the blood sugar thing...I love talking to you guys because I'm learning more as i do.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:27 PM   #13  
PCOS does'nt have me!!

@Beerab

Great info...I think the starting off small is the best thing for me to do....MY husband is interested in the P90x as well....I dont think I could handle it just yet cuz I'm sure my knees would give out on me ASAP....lol....also I'm interested in what you said about the multivitamins.

I was taking them but then I stoipped when I stopped taking meds cuz i was on a whole bunch at once and it gave me that "walking zombie" syndrome even worse than just simple PCOS did. I'm trying to attempt to do this naturally maybe with the help of only vitamins and Metformin....but i prefer naturally and i know thats hard haveing pcos.

I'm working on the health insurance so hopefully I get to see an Endo soon.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:48 PM   #14  
PCOS does'nt have me!!

@Rana
I have noticed the same for me
Old 11-09-2010, 08:48 AM   #15  
WW Moderator

@freakumdress - you said you don't have motivation to exercise. I have all my favorite mixes on an mp3 player, and i can only listen to it when i exercise. And if I really don't feel like it, I tell myself I'm only going to exercise for 10 minutes. In my whole life, whenever I've played that game, I've chosen to stay on and exercise more. I even exercise in my nightgown if that's when that split second mood strikes me!
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote