Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - greek yogurt. uhmm NO

View Full Version : greek yogurt. uhmm NO

pipernoswiper
11-07-2010, 07:31 PM
alright i tried greek yogurt, and NO! it is gross! i know so many of you swear by it. so what did i do wrong. it was vanilla sugar free. it had the consistency of watery glue, and i've never eaten glue, but i bet it would have tasted better.........YUCK.

what are you guys doing with your greek yogurt to make it palatable?

Eliana
11-07-2010, 07:35 PM
LOL! One, it's all about the brand! Some taste like sand, some like glue. :D I'm partial to Dannon Greek yogurt myself.

To acquire the taste for it, I started out by mixing it half and half with my favorite yogurt. I kept increasing the ratio in favor of Greek until I liked it by itself. I also mixed it with fruit and/or Fiber One. Now I love it plain, but love it better with fruit. ;) Oh, "plain" yogurt is like sour cream! Blech!

pipernoswiper
11-07-2010, 07:44 PM
oh boy, i dont know eliana. i am scared lol....is it really as good for you as everyone is saying lol...

i mean i'm all about trying to get healthy and all, but ima gonna have to pick my battles lmao...is this one worth it :)

Shytowngal
11-07-2010, 07:53 PM
Which brand did you eat? I love chobani pineapple.

Sunshine73
11-07-2010, 07:53 PM
Eh, I'd just eat the paste but that's just me. ;)

Some things I just can't develop a taste tolerance for no matter how hard I try. Greek yogurt is one of them.

swtbttrfly23
11-07-2010, 07:56 PM
That sounds like it would be awful! I personally love it. I buy the 2%, I think that the low-ish fat ones are thicker. Also, I buy it plain and then sweeten it myself with some stevia, it makes a huge difference! The first time I tried it the tang was just too strong for me, but a bit of sweetener goes a long way. I scoop some strawberries on top and throw some chopped nuts on. It feels like more of a thick cream and it's nice and sweet!

pipernoswiper
11-07-2010, 07:56 PM
"whispering".......:shrug: krogers brand.

but in my defense i only wanted to try it lol

dudesmom
11-07-2010, 07:59 PM
Seems like I'm an oddball but the only way I find it palatable is as a substitute for sour cream. :) I buy the Fage 0% plain.

popspry
11-07-2010, 08:13 PM
I am tying it tonight. I have the yoplait brand and I can't afford the more expensive brands and I am pretty scared since I don't like sour cream.

JessLess
11-07-2010, 08:27 PM
Fage 0% plain with two packets of Equal. Sometimes I put fresh fruit in. Blueberries work well. mmmm

totsandfries
11-07-2010, 08:32 PM
The only kind of greek yogurt I eat is the Chobani Blueberry one, any other brands or flavors, I find gross.

SuziC
11-07-2010, 08:36 PM
Yoplait Greek yogurt tastes like shoes (imho). I do like Chobani or Fagi or Trader Joe's brand. It helps to mix in some fruit and or granola to give it some extra flavor and texture. It's one of my favorite snacks!

saef
11-07-2010, 08:43 PM
Oh, dear, I must be pretty hardcore. Lately I eat the plain, zero percent fat for breakfast. Just like that. Only a spoon required.

All the premade flavored yogurts are now too sweet for me.

I love the sourness of the plain stuff & the contrast with biting into a piece of fruit or a spoon full of berries.

QuilterInVA
11-07-2010, 08:45 PM
If you buy Dannon or Yoplait, there so called Greek Yogurt is a joke. Try some of the real thing - with nothing in it - and add some fruit to it.

katy trail
11-07-2010, 08:49 PM
i haven't tried greek yet. i can't get past $1 a little cup. that was yoplait. i don't think shop'n save carries a generic yet. i'll try any generic, most of the time i like them just as much as the brand name.
the kids and i both love yogurt and cottage cheese. we eat it all with in a day or 2 from the store. longer if i really ration it lol. the only yogurt i ever tried that i didn't like was the 'whipped' kind. idk. just didn't like it. the texture i guess. can't think of ANY other food that the texture bothers me. weird.

JenMusic
11-07-2010, 08:52 PM
Trader Joe's 2% fat (the texture of the fat-free is icky to me) with berries and some granola. Awesome, filling breakfast.

I don't like adding sweetener, but what I've noticed is, if I add a little vanilla extract, it brings out some sweeter flavors to the yogurt. Ther berries help too, of course. ;)

Teresa66
11-07-2010, 09:00 PM
I've tried Dannon Greek yogurt and really like it. I get the fat free one that does have sugar. It's very good. Today I tried the Trader Joe's fat free pomegranate one and it was good. Tomorrow I'll try the TJ's blueberry. I'm new to Greek yogurts and plan on making the rounds to find what I like best.

popspry
11-07-2010, 09:06 PM
Well I quite liked my yoplait brand greek yogurt and as I eat a full cup of yogurt daily I can't afford the $2.00 Fage. Works for me.

ohmai
11-07-2010, 09:37 PM
I don't like greek yogurt as yogurt. I *LOVE* it as a sub for sour cream though.. and as a sandwich spread... in place of mayo (which I don't like.. blech!) in chicken and tuna salads.

countryhomeschoolin
11-07-2010, 10:33 PM
I love the Dannon 0% plain Greek -I add 1 pkt of splenda and 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie filling and 1/2 cup fresh blueberries. I eat one every day and I LOVE it! So filling and so much protein to last you for hours!

JayLei
11-07-2010, 10:35 PM
Seems like I'm an oddball but the only way I find it palatable is as a substitute for sour cream. :) I buy the Fage 0% plain.

This is the brand I get and how I use it. I use it in place of ricotta as well in some italian dishes.

I tried the Dannon and the "house brands" and found them to be grainy and well, bleh.

pipernoswiper
11-07-2010, 11:30 PM
okay guess ima gonna have to explore this further lol....so many mixed reviews.

i really wish we had a trader joes around here!

BlueToBlue
11-09-2010, 12:41 AM
I think it's a matter of how you like your yogurt. I like my yogurt really thick, about the consistency of sour cream. I can't stand watery yogurt. So I really like Greek yogurt. But you like yogurt on the thinner side, Greek yogurt probably isn't for you.

And brand is also really important. I like Trader Joe's and Fage; the other brands I've tried I haven't liked at all (I think Oikos was one). At this point, if I can't get Trader Joe's or Fage, I eat something other than yogurt.

I eat my Greek yogurt plain. Most mornings I stir 1 cup Kashi puffed cereal (unsweetened) into it and top it with berries. Sometimes I add a teaspoon of honey. But I also like it completely plain, with nothing stirred into it and am happy to eat it that way. I used to eat 0% fat, but recently I switched to 2%.

Karen925
11-09-2010, 07:40 PM
And brand is also really important. I like Trader Joe's and Fage; the other brands I've tried I haven't liked at all (I think Oikos was one). At this point, if I can't get Trader Joe's or Fage, I eat something other than yogurt.

Ditto. As a treat in maintanence I will add apple/pumpkin butter (16 gram) to yogurt along with 70 grams of berries, 10 grams of Kashi Go Lean for crunch. 198 cal total. I bring this on trips, eat it 2x/week. If no fruit butters, I use honey. But not when I was losing. I did not want a self induced plateau. Delish as far as I am concerned. And that is the deal. Eat things you find delish. That will make success much more likely.

saef
11-09-2010, 07:44 PM
Karen925, I just discovered apple butter in yogurt. Yes, I, who posted above about being such a hardcore Greek yogurt fan that I eat the stuff plain, with nothing added, zilch, nada. Just yesterday morning, I tried it. It was frighteningly good. So good, I'm going to have to watch it.

FatPantsSkinnyJeans
11-09-2010, 07:54 PM
Chobani 0%.... I almost consider it dessert. I like the Strawberry, Blueberry, and my absolute FAVORITE is the Peach. But, I can't eat it unless I whip it with a spoon until it's lump-free.

I like both watery and thick yogurts, so the texture doesn't bother me. I find it way more filling.

These are about 140 calories per cup...so, sometimes I have just half a cup @ 70 cals and mix it with a serving of thawed frozen berries. The bit of liquid from the berries thins it slightly, and then top with a of Kashi and BAM, excellent breakfast for around 210 cals :)

LoveChocolate
11-09-2010, 09:27 PM
I went through a phase where I loved Greek Yogurt (Fage, Greek Gods, and I think Chobani). I came out of that phase :). I do like Kroger Carbmaster yogurts, and heard the came out with some new flavors. :)

SugarFreak
11-11-2010, 01:56 PM
I just recently decided to try greek yogurt myself. I had heard so much about it between all the cooking shows I was and the Doctor Oz programs that my roommate records constantly.

Chobani just happened to be on sale when I picked one up, I grabbed the pomegranate 0% (cause it's currently my favorite flavor and it was only in the 0% instead of the two). I think the fruit at the bottom was probably the only saving grace to it, I later decribed it as a cross between cream cheese and sour cream. I didn't think about putting more sugar in it, but it would make it a little better.

I think I will mostly stick with the yogurt that I normally buy and call that a treat.

carter
11-11-2010, 03:07 PM
It's all pretty personal - some folks will like it, others will not - like any other food.

I'm pretty happy about Chobani - it's pretty much the only nonfat yogurt I find palatable. Before I tried it, I didn't have very much yogurt in my diet at all. I've been happy to add the Chobani because it has a ton of protein, and I think I'll find it very useful as a snack for that reason.

Magrat
11-11-2010, 03:15 PM
Chobani Greek yogurt with either a half banana or a tablespoon of raisons added is one of my favorite breakfasts. Sometimes for variety I will add a tablespoon of sugar free preserves ( strawberry or apricot usually, sometimes raspberry). For regular yogurt I like Stoneyfield fat free vanilla.

Nebuchadnezzar
11-19-2010, 07:41 PM
Honestly, I can really only get behind Fage 0% and Labdna. (Which is Middle Eastern yogurt, but give it a try! Its a crazy amount thicker than Fage though, so watch out!)

And, of course you can make your own yogurt too! Just strain the stuff overnight with cheesecloth.

GradPhase
11-19-2010, 08:27 PM
I love, love, love the Fage and honey combo package. Sooo thick and creamy and delicious! http://www.fageusa.com/products.aspx#/twoPercent/Honey om nom nom!!

Shannon in ATL
11-19-2010, 09:10 PM
I love the thick yogurt now, but completely hated it at first. I had to slowly work my way into it with the heavily flavored and sugared versions. Now I get the plain and mix in my own honey, berries, granola, cocoa powder, etc.

Karen925
11-19-2010, 09:44 PM
And, of course you can make your own yogurt too! Just strain the stuff overnight with cheesecloth.

I made my own yogurt and kefir (from grains found after much search through a co-op) for a couple of years following the pure, unprocessed, raw crowd. Used Alton Brown's method, and a few others. I always needed to use whole milk, hence the calorie count was significantly higher than Fage or Trader Joe's. I also could not get it as thick consistently, and there was alot of wastage with the whey. I couldn't cook with the whey fast enough.

So I was very glad to find 80 cal yogurt which is delish and full of the healthy microbes at a fair price.

therex
11-20-2010, 03:35 AM
i really like the oikos brand, the vanilla and chocolate at the bottom ones are fantastic in place of dessert. for breakfast i usually eat the regular nonfat versions with berries and chopped almonds. (it's still just as good as dessert!)

Natasha1534
11-20-2010, 03:48 AM
"whispering".......:shrug: krogers brand.

but in my defense i only wanted to try it lol

I use the Kroger brand all the time. I add 2 tablespoons of peanut butter and 2 packets of splenda and use it to dip my granny smith apple in. It's nummers!!! :)

peevah00
11-29-2010, 07:24 PM
Go with Chobani or Trader Joe's Brand...way tastier then the others.

candyjunkie
12-03-2010, 11:56 PM
I have tried a few different brands, mixed them with fruit and I still just cannot get myself to like it. It's too thick and...gross to me:(

astrophe
12-04-2010, 12:15 AM
I've only tried Siggi and Stonyfiled so far. I had to blender it with fruit into a smooth to get over it.

I like that it's got more protein, but I don't like the texture. Too...gloppy.

A.

vdander24
12-04-2010, 02:35 AM
That's a big no way for me too. I have tried fage, chobani, and another brand, various flavors (my sis loves the stuff) I just can't do it.
After my HS Biology teacher made a batch in the classroom, I was never the same. I can do some yoplait light, but only on rare, rare occasions.

Natasha1534
12-04-2010, 05:41 AM
Wow...this really surprises me b/c I have a HUGE texture problem and, up until now, have only been able to eat yogurt it it's frozen or whipped.

MindiV
12-04-2010, 08:47 AM
I like it a lot, but I can't afford it. Too expensive around here...

megwini
12-04-2010, 08:58 PM
Different people like different brands. The first I ever tried was Fage, and I thought it tasted like sour cream and had the consistency of Elmer's glue. I couldn't find anything nastier to eat. But other people love it! But then I tried Chobani and ended up really liking it. You just have to experiment.

losermom
12-05-2010, 09:47 AM
I prefer the Greek Gods brand over the Fage, but either is fine. I buy the non-fat plain in a big tub. I substitute it for sour cream--yummers. I also like it with fruit and stevia--double yummers!

kansaskoala
12-15-2010, 02:52 PM
Fage 0% plain with two packets of Equal. Sometimes I put fresh fruit in. Blueberries work well. mmmm

I do the exact same thing! It tastes wonderful and Fage has a great texture.

gloo
12-29-2010, 06:04 PM
Athenos (the fine feta people) just came out with a Greek yogurt duo thing -- strained Greek nonfat yogurt with either honey or blueberries to mix in.

I'm a total Greek yogurt skeptic because I've hated every brand I've tried, but Safeway sucked me in with its $.69 introductory price.

And man, it's good. I've been eating the honey combo, because I'm violently allergic to blueberries, and I'm a big fan. I did a quick google search and there are tons of coupons out there if you want to try it. Curious to see what you guys think.

ncuneo
12-29-2010, 06:55 PM
OMG, I didn't read this whole thread so forgive me if it's been suggeted. But you MUST try the Chobani brand! It is AMAZING! It's the best yogurt I've ever eaten. It is so creamy and yummy.

darway
12-29-2010, 07:01 PM
I'll credit this thread with getting me to try the 2% Fage brand. It works fine as a mayo substitute, I just mentally unhook the "yogourt" connotation from my mind. I would agree with others that it should be ok as a cottage cheese or sour cream swap as well.

I'd already been skeptical that normal yogourt is "diet" food. It's often so sweet it may as well be viewed more like ice cream. (Especially the generic store brands.) :halfempty:

MadamButterfly
12-29-2010, 07:23 PM
OK, I have read this post several times. I usually buy a local 100 cal yogurt. I splurged and bought Chobani Strawberry and plan to have it for a snack later. I'm planning on watching a movie and will eat it then . . . I'm NERVOUS though . . . I have some strawberries in the fridge to add if I need too

I'll let you know my 2 cents

katy trail, I'm with you I don't like the whipped either

Asherah
01-24-2011, 02:09 PM
The texture thing might be something your stuck with. At first I didn't care for it. But its just so good for you, I powered through the first container of strawberry and now I'm addicted. Recently I took a small container of Dannon plain and added garlic salt, onion powder, and a little pepper and used it as a sauce for my pita (but it could have easily been good for my veggies or other sandwiches!!!). It was better when it was savory because I feel the texture can be a lot like sour cream.

Natasha1534
01-25-2011, 08:56 PM
The texture thing might be something your stuck with. At first I didn't care for it. But its just so good for you, I powered through the first container of strawberry and now I'm addicted. Recently I took a small container of Dannon plain and added garlic salt, onion powder, and a little pepper and used it as a sauce for my pita (but it could have easily been good for my veggies or other sandwiches!!!). It was better when it was savory because I feel the texture can be a lot like sour cream.
Oooooh, I've used it to make tzatziki sauce and it was AMAZING!!!

Serval87
01-27-2011, 02:37 PM
I just recently discovered that I like it. I tried Fage Total 0%, because it was on sell. I've found several different ways that makes it taste really good:

1.) Slathered on a piece of turkey. YUM ... seriously.

2.) Mixed with LOTS of blueberries.

3.) On a baked potato.

4.) It makes a good substitute for salad dressing, especially on a leafy green salad.

I really wanted to try it mixed in with some almonds, but hubby ate them all before I could get to it. lol.

I like it plain too, though.

I am considering mixing a packet of ranch seasoning in it for a veggie dip. Also, I'm going to try using it as a substitute for mayo in coleslaw. We'll see how that goes. The whole little tub is only 90 calories and 15 grams of protein! :)

It sucks that it's so expensive, though, because it's so filling and satisfying. I may have to splurge from now on, I guess. :D