Old 11-07-2010, 01:12 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 179/ticker/135

Default The Best We Can Be

I am only 56. Can barely carry the dog food bag, hips ache as I sit at my work desk, sore feet, memory going, puny muscles, no body part resembles me anymore, no energy to do anything beyond the absolutely necessary, carpel tunnel tingles, and, adding insult to injury - everyone feels the need to put pics of you on Facebook for all your old boyfriends to see. Plus did I mention my memory is not what it used to be?? I have had fits and spurts of getting on track, but not long term. I do not want to go down this road any longer.

Looking for some warrior women who don't want to age gracefully. I want to be the strongest I have ever been, feel the best I possibly can, shape the rest of my life into the active, productive life I want it to be. And yes, there's a bit of vanity in there too - I am going to wear sleeveless shirts and shorts again next summer! Can you relate? Anybody with me?

I'll check in later - I'm taking the dogs for a walk on this beautiful day and then mapping out my plan.
kris2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 05:26 PM   #2  
GmaTo8

Hi Kris - that's the way I felt last winter, then began counting calories, eating complex carbs, focusing on whole foods, and have lost 47 pounds since 2/1. Slow, but steady. I think the most important thing is to find an eating program you can do for the rest of your life. What's your plan? What about exercise? Do you have a place to walk, or a DVD you can do?
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:15 PM   #3  

Yea Jane! You have done great!

Got on the elliptical today and soldiered through 6 sets of 7 minutes each (as 7 was the most I could do at a time). Felt accomplishment that I kept getting on it and completed my plan. Better than a few weeks ago when I could only do 3 minutes at one time. Inch by inch.... Also took the dogs for a walk.

Got a book out I haven't looked at in a while and never actually used - New Rules of Lifting for Women. Checked out where I should start, made sure I had proper weights etc ready - will do Mon Wed Fri. This book is good for 6 -9 months of training.

My aim is to be in training - heart pumping, lungs working, muscle strengthening, flexibility and fat burning. Strong, fit and healthy!

Are you finished with your weight loss and in maintenance now?
Old 11-08-2010, 07:22 AM   #4  
GmaTo8

Kris - no, I only wish I was in maintenance! I still have 53 pounds to go, since 100 is my goal. I had lost 85 pounds over 6 years ago, and regained it all, plus a few more. I was just almost "perfect" every week back then, and didn't allow myself any leeway for special occasions, etc. Now I do. Portion control is key, for me, and I find that a small amount of planned indulgence is keeping me happy, while allowing me to lose. Slowly, yes, but still losing. As you say.... inch by inch.

Wow, you've got the exercise thing all lined out! A big Whoo hoo for you! That is my biggest challenge. I do a couple of different videos, and walk when the weather permits. Also, I keep hand weights by my chair in the living room, and lift them while watching TV. All the years of yo-yo dieting, plus aging, has played havoc with the elasticity of my skin.

Are you on a special eating program?
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:00 AM   #5  

Height: 5'1"

Hi Kris,

Good for you for taking charge! I think we tend to get lazy and think we can do whatever and still be strong and halthy. Unless you already have a very active lifestyle and are into sport, I don't think that is possible. It takes planning and work. Lifting weights are a must for me. I am 62 and my arms are still in pretty decent shape and I CAN wear short sleeves. The only way I can keep on tract is to plan. Plan my meals and plan my exercise.

Your goals are achieveable. What diet are you using? I just count calories. That one seems to work best for me. I hate strict diets that tell me I can or cannot have something. I do try to eat healthy. I park in the back of the parking lot. I take the stairs at work. Little things do add up
the slim me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 08:19 AM   #6  

My eating plan is 1400 cals plus unlimited veggies (non-starchy) plus vitamins - good multi, fish oil, D. Drinking more water morning, noon and evening.

I was on the treadmill every morning at 5:30 this week - boy did I sleep good! Even fell asleep at 8 pm twice! I did not start the weight training in the evening yet - seemed to be too much at once!

I did up my heart rate a few times a day - hopped on the elliptical (only takes a few minutes for me!), walked up the stairs. Conditioning my heart and getting the blood pumping through my veins is part of my aim.

With a weight loss goal of 35-40 pounds, I'm hoping I can still get decent upper arms and upper legs without droopiness of skin even at my age. Especially if I do the strengthening exercises. Do you think losing weight at a slower place would help that?

You all are very inspirational!
Old 11-13-2010, 08:48 AM   #7  

kris2008: ...
I had a carpal tunnel problem.
I had been drinking skim milk.
The doc told me to switch back to Whole Milk...and the carpel tunnel tingling went away. So did my muscle spasms in the legs.
No more skim milk for me. Good thing you are taking fish oil.

My memory was bad too ...was told to eat 3 Tablespoons of Raw Pumpkin Seeds...from the health food store... and it came right back in a couple of weeks. Pears and pear juice is great for memory also.

I am counting calories, so I can adjust my diet where I need to.
Good luck losing weight this year!

I lost 20 lbs a few years ago and kept it off.
Finally... I decided to drop another 20 by spring.

JOLINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 06:39 PM   #8  

Jolina - Carpal tunnel - mine seems to be worse when my thyroid is out of wack. Lots of new science pointing to thyroid in some people. I have heard of calcium for muscle spasms, not for carpal tunnel though. Interesting.

I love pumpkins seed - haven't eaten them for years. I will try everything! My thinking is much clearer already with cardio. Getting that blood and oxygen moving!

Congrats on your first 20 pounds - I bet you will take care of the next 20 as well! I'm shooting for 12 pound goal right now. Get there, maintain for a while, then go for 10 more. It's all a lifelong process!
Old 11-17-2010, 08:42 AM   #9  
Eat Small

S/C/G: 317/232/157

Height: 5' 6"

I know the feeling of wanting to fight aging and get back one's strength and energy, but I am against trying to be younger than I am. I am learning to accept aging and finding what I can do now and being the best I can be at my current age and situation. It won't be anything like when I was young, but it will be what I can manage and enjoy the process along the way.

Great post and thanks for raising the idea to think about!
elisaannh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 10:33 PM   #10  

No deflating balloons on this thread!

My goal remains to be the best I can be, be the strongest I've ever been and I still don't plan to age gracefully. I like the image of standing up to a real challenge. Google Ernestine Shepherd at 73 years old! That's inspiration!
Old 11-25-2010, 10:44 PM   #11  

Oops! Ms. Shepherd is 74 years old now!
Old 11-28-2010, 08:58 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 177/157/138

Height: 5'6"

Hi kris2008,

Go for it Girl! You will be very happy with your results. I have always exercised but still managed to eat enough to remain overweight most of the last twenty years. Recently I lost 35 pounds and I hope to move into maintenance mode soon. I haven't decided what I should weigh yet. In my younger days I definitely would have aimed for another 10 to 15 pounds off but I am already happy with how I look fully clothed and not too sure if losing more weight is going to help with how I would look in a swimming suit (or less ). I have to admit I am a bit disappointed in how my weight is distributed now, certainly not the same as twenty years ago, and the skin elasticity thing is not so great either. However, it is so much easier to exercise now and so much more fun to clothes shop. Plus I just generally feel better. The weight training is definitely going to help with both your strength and muscle tone. You might consider adding yoga someday to help with flexibility. I am with you though, do not just accept aging issues without a fight. You can and will feel better and vastly improve your agility if you stick with your plan. I strongly agree you should take your own sweet time doing it. It is not a race. Just stick with it.

Last edited by TERAPET; 11-28-2010 at 09:01 AM.
TERAPET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:39 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 186/150/145

Height: 5'7"

I'm not saying I don't look 59 years old, but I feel fantastic. Exercise and good wholesome food keep me rearing to go. I do wear shorts and sleeveless tops. My knees aren't beauties, but I just noticed my upper arms are developing definition. Jazzercise, Step aerobics, yoga and now a little weight lifting.
4xcharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:20 PM   #14  

Terapet and 4Xcharm - Thanks for the rah rah! You rock! You are inspirational! We all do enough Debbie Downer'ing to ourselves - we need each other to lift ourselves up!

I love yoga, actually I love Rodney Yee. His A.M. yoga - 5 different routines - only 20 minutes or so each - is great. I don't always do a set routine but I have to do some yoga everyday to unstiffen and unsore my lower back.

Terapet - You sound like you are at the right weight for your height. Maybe stay there for a while, keep exercising and see how you feel.

4xcharm - Sounds like you are pretty active! Good for you!

Jolina, the Slim Me, Jane - Everyone sticking with their plans? It's hard right now but if we stick to the plan most of the time, we should come through the holidays fine!