South Beach Diet - Weekend Chatter

View Full Version : Weekend Chatter

Ruthxxx
11-06-2010, 06:54 AM
Good morning! Another early start for me. :( I've actually been up since 4:30 snooping around 3FC and the Net and sipping coffee. :)

Just checked the weather forecast and we may see the sun today - maybe even for a few days. :carrot: It'll be cold but there may be a wee window of time to get some pre-winter garden tidying done. I really want to focus on the flower bed I see from my studio window where I sit at my machine. If the bed is tidied up, it'll be easier to imagine spring flowers under the winter snow.

Today I am going to finish getting out warm indoor clothes! I don't know if it's my body or the furnace but I seem chilly all the time although the thermostat is set high enough and tells me I should be warm. I think my internal thermostat is out of whack. Last winter I was just fine indoors with a short sleeved t-shirt but now I seem to need a fleece hoodie. :shrug:

Heather and the boys will be here for an early dinner so I need to get organized. The large burner on my stove is broken and I need to do a trial run boiling water for pasta on the small burner. If that doesn't work, I'll be cooking on the BBQ or cooking individual servings eight minutes apart! l may get the stove pulled out and try to fix it myself this morning - it's the switch, not the actual burner. Can I borrow a competent man from anyone - just for an hour? :lol:

I hope your Saturday is great. Remember that we get an extra hour of sleep tonight. I will remind my body and the dogs!

:cofdate:

BelovedK
11-06-2010, 07:19 AM
Good morning, I just looked at the old thread and wanted to send an extra bit of love out to Heidi :hug: There are no words :(

Good morning Ruth, back later with more personals, DH just came in with coffee :)

cottagebythesea
11-06-2010, 07:30 AM
Heidi, :hug: My thoughts and prayers will be with you and your family. I am so sorry, and please accept my deepest sympathies. :hug:

Ruthxxx
11-06-2010, 07:34 AM
Heidi, I am so very, very sorry! My heart is aching for you and your family.

Lexxiss
11-06-2010, 08:08 AM
Heidi, I am so sorry...:hug:

Heidi58
11-06-2010, 08:49 AM
Good morning friends.
Thank you for your thoughts and prayers. It's funny how that can mean so much to me when we've only met online, eh? They do though and I truly appreciate all of you.

I'll check in this evening. Right now I'm too sad and numb to visit and I'm anxious to get on the road.

Lexxiss
11-06-2010, 09:05 AM
I thought I'd respond to posts since I didn't get back yesterday.

TallandThin, my rescue group helps dogs and cats, primarily. Here I am with my rescue Cocker, Bing, who has been with us for a year and is now a therapy dog.What Cocker variety was your pup? What is your bulldog's name?
http://www.heelingpartners.org/mediac/400_0/media/ee7709e8fe42b222ffff8e42ffffe904.jpg

Ruth, thanks for getting us started. I've been cold in the house, too. I think our bodies are still adjusting...it's not just you. Have a nice meal tonight...did you find that crusty WW bread?

Okie, I'm glad you enjoyed your movie! Did you end up going out to eat? Super news on clothing sizes! 20, 18....I noticed on FB you are going to try a gym?

BelovedK, I like your tarot cards!

Linda, your weekend sounds busy as you prepare for your folks anniversary. Will the dinner be at your house?

Heidi, you are my friend, just as if you lived next door....in fact, you know me better than my neighbors do. I didn't have words earlier, but I have known the pain of suicide in my immediate family and I understand your pain firsthand. Embrace your family as you deal with such a tragic loss.

Karen, did you get your hard freeze? We haven't yet.

KimStar, I hope you enjoy your commitment free weekend.

Me, getting some chores out of the way before heading over to the swap at our neighborhood pet store. Then it's time to start planning ahead for travel on Monday. Today may be the day I tackle the compost pile.

Take special care today, everyone.

WaistingTime
11-06-2010, 09:21 AM
Good morning.

Debbie - Today and DH says the other day froze too.

We are supposed to have some nice afternoons this weekend so DH and I plan to get in a couple more bike rides. Haven't had many lately so two days in a row will be hard! And I have a few sore muscles from yesterday's workout; obviously I am not doing enough strength training on my own. Just little things to do this weekend, nothing special going on.

Have a great on all.

Ruthxxx
11-06-2010, 10:03 AM
l may get the stove pulled out and try to fix it myself this morning - it's the switch, not the actual burner.

I did it! I took off the knobs and the glass front on the control panel, found two screws that had fallen inside, screwed them back in and it works perfectly. Whew! I always think of my Dad when I have little victories like that. He was a real Mr Fixit and encouraged me mightily when I first became a single parent.

Now I'll celebrate with another coffee!

BelovedK
11-06-2010, 10:07 AM
Go Ruth!!! I love it when I am able to handle something like that :)

I'm faltering today, ate some of DD's honey covered peanuts :( Help me get back on track, I am at a plateau.

My friend just cancelled plans with me, I am not sure what to do. Hubs is gone and I have the house to myself.

Lexxiss
11-06-2010, 10:17 AM
BelovedK, get back on track! Read Beck! Use distraction techniques!

BellaLucia
11-06-2010, 12:55 PM
Hey Debbie, did you go see a movie last night? I'm holding off on the gym for now. I will use my legs to walk around the 'hood. I ate at Quizno's, it was good. I didn't get cravings after eating their whole wheat bread, so it's all good!

rdw1
11-06-2010, 02:22 PM
Good Morning Chickies... I am getting my coffee on :) Then lots of cleaning is in store today. I got a free 10 bucks from JCP and I intend on using it before it expires so I will do that as well as return a couple things to kohls and Walmart. I am soooo bad about buying and not wearing and then not returning! I have to stop that madness! Too much in my closet that has tags attached.
That said- I am at a point where my clothes are too tight, still wearable(most of them) but uncomfortable. I am going in the wrong direction and in the past 6 months have gained close to 20lbs. I am so mad at myself for doing this but its all over and done with and nothing I can do about the past just change what I am doing now to improve my future. I planned on starting the gym this past week but got sick, finally went to the doctor yesterday and got some antibiotics- he also drew blood to do two tests for celiacs/gluten sensitivity- he also tested for Vitamin D deficiency, but from looking around the net it looks like most of us are deficient in that:?: anywho, I have to meet with him next week to see what is going on. BUT, if I feel better this weekend(missing a great party :() I will be going to the gym at least 4 days next week. I am very very very excited to go back, and I know I always eat better when I am working out. I have got to get myself under control... its such a viscious cycle, eating bad, feeling bad about it, feeling like you have no control over yourself, so you eat bad again... I am ready for some empowerment!
"When you intentionally change something about yourself that you don't like it leaves you feeling empowered!" and I am ready for that feeling!

OK, sorry for the long rant about myself, but sometimes just posting makes me feel better. Its like admitting that I have wronged and I am ready to make it right... Thanks for listening friends:hug:

Ruth- hope you get the stove working! Its too cold to be running in and out to the BBQ~! Just read down and saw you did!!! Ms Fixit! I love doing things like that too! I am the "handy man" of the house- when it comes to construction, and when it comes to electonics and stuff thats dh's part! lol

Heidi- Keeping you and your family in my prayers. (((hugs)))

Karen- Enjoy your little things weekend :)

Debbie- Hoping your chores get accomplished quickly and leave you some "me" time!

Beloved- :dust:

TallandThin
11-06-2010, 03:45 PM
Morning my friends :wave: I didn't have a chance to post early this morning before things got busy around here. DH and Mr Big our dog were up early and ready for breakfast by the time I got up. Already got my walk in this morning and have been out in the pasture helping DH with the burn pile that we are finally getting to burn. It is absolutely beautiful here today but rain expected tomorrow.

Ruth hope you find some nice clothes to keep you nice and warm this winter. I have a problem keeping my toes warm once it turns cold and when they are cold they sure ache. Way to go girl :bravo: for fixing the stove.

Lex, your cocker is beautiful. Here is a picture of my cocker, Muff. Sure do miss her. Also attaching a picture of the French Bulldog, Mr. Big, that we rescued a few months ago. Their personalities couldn't be any more different. Mr. Big is older so we won't have him long but we are sure laughing a lot with him now.

Karen, OMG, my legs are letting me know that what little walking I'm doing now they don't like but I'm not caving. I think riding a bike would be so awsome in this weather with all the color out there.

Beloved, Come on now, just set your mind again that you are going to do this. Our minds can be so powerful, we just have to learn to use them.

Rikki, we have (and will again) all go through what you are going through right now. Just hang in there, keep posting and you will come out on the other side in the right frame of mind. :dust: to you and Beloved.

Hope you are all having a great Saturday. I'm feeling a few cravings this afternoon so will have to follow my own advice and not cave.

Later

BellaLucia
11-06-2010, 07:17 PM
Rikki, you can do this, don't let the weight get higher so you won't have over 100lbs to lose!

bcgal00
11-07-2010, 12:30 AM
Hi everyone. I've enjoyed reading what everyone is up to this wkend. I'm new to the South Beach diet, I'm in Phase 1, week one.

Went out today and bought the SB book and a SB cookbook. I understood the principles of SB but now can read the book and make some recipes.

This is day 3 for me and am off to a good start, a couple of lbs down and not feeling so bloated. Picked up a bunch of veggies, turkey bacon, hummus, eggs and ricotta cheese. This morning I baked egg spinach quiches and loved em. Made 12 so got enough for the next 3-4 days. Funny that I don't even miss the flour in them. I'm going to relax tonight, watch tv and read the book. Tomorrow I'll do a Jillian Michaels workout and then get some cleaning done around the house.

Ruthxxx
11-07-2010, 06:35 AM
:welcome: to The Beach, BCGal. You are off to a good start.

Hope everyone survived the time change and enjoyed that extra hour. I had to change the time in my 3FC profile options this morning. Just go to control panel (top left), choose Options and scroll down. And that's all my techie advice for this morning.

I am really missing my dishwasher this morning after last night's dinner party. Heather left about ten because of the kids and we decided talking was more valuable than tackling dishes. Pasta carbonara is not a treat the next morning but everything is soaking right now.

Church is first on the agenda this morning and then I will be outside in the cold laying a wreath of poppies at our cenotaph here in Delta. Warm clothing definitely required although it will be sunny. There's a "lunch" at the Legion afterward but I'll make my excuses and come home to my bowl of nice hot lentil soup.

Then the afternoon is all mine! I got started on outside jobs yesterday and will do more today. Still no birds at the feeder. I may put out some suet as an appetizer.

Enjoy your first day of standard time and the slightly brighter mornings.

TwynnB
11-07-2010, 07:27 AM
Hello everyone!! :wave:

We won't talk about what I ate on Friday, but for where we went, I think I did excellent!! I was proud of myself yesterday....we went to a family bible study for the first time, and they always have only pizza. I worked up my guts to ask a friend in it if they'd be offended if I brought a pot o' chili, and she said no. So, I did...and most of them (adults) ate it!! I was really glad, and it was excellent chili if I say so myself. I suspect the Trader Joes' fire roasted tomatoes with chiles I bought at the discount store gave it just a nice bite. They all said they enjoyed it, and I felt much better about myself for not eating 2 or so slice of pizza.

Darned it - it's Daylight savings time, but my body doesn't care. Maybe that will make it easier for me to get up and exercise before work this week?!

BCgal - welcome!! Hope you enjoy it here!

FObsessed - you're doing awesome!!!

Tall and Thin - how did the not caving go!?! ;) I've finally gotten rid of most of the kid stuff that is a temptation. SO much easier!

RDW - me too!! I have gained just a couple back, but it's my eating patterns that have changed. I realized part of it was not checking in here on a daily basis to keep myself accountable, and LOTS of excuses! Glad to see you on here!!

Beloved K - were you able to get back on track? I'm bad...I'll get dark chocolate peanuts (when I'm doing phase III) as a treat. Can only buy a little bit, because I can't control myself!

Waisting Time - did you get a bike ride in? Would've been beautiful!

Lexiss - have you really had him a year already?! The picture is great! You look fabulous!

Heidi - I can't imagine the pain you and your family are going through. Said a prayer for you and yours.

Ruth - Hello! I missed reading all your posts, I'm glad I get to "see" you more often!!

I'm not sure what's on the burner for today...church, remodeling the old nasty bathroom, and ??? (oh yay, probably grocery shopping...).

Have a great day!

CyndiM
11-07-2010, 08:00 AM
Good morning :coffee2: I'm gearing up for another drive home today. I'll stop half way and have lunch with a good friend, so that will make it easier.

I'll be back tonight from my home computer with it's faster internet. We have decided to hook Mom up to DSL at Christmas. It's time!

Have a sunny and relaxing Sunday friends

cottagebythesea
11-07-2010, 08:02 AM
Good morning! I took full advantage of the extra hour of sleep, especially since we had a late night last night.

:welcome: BCgal! I'm happy to have you joining us and look forward to getting to know you. :)

It was so nice to see my aunt & uncle from Minnesota again. It's been almost 4 years since we've last seen them! They'll be here all week, so we'll have lots of time to catch up.
This morning, we're taking Monica & Carley back to NJ after breakfast, and I'm hoping to do some garden work when we get back. My flowers and the remaining tomatoes and peppers finally succumbed to the cold. It's supposed to be sunny, but cold. Jake wants to get the lawn mowed if he can find it under all the leaves. I'll guess I'll give him a hand, raking them up. Then this evening, Jake is treating me to nice dinner out. :)

WaistingTime
11-07-2010, 08:55 AM
Beloved - You can do this!!!

Rikki - Been there, done that. Time and time again. Let's get off the weigh yo-yo once and for all! We can. We will.

TallandThin - Cute dogs.

Rae - Welcome! Sounds like you are off to a great start.

Ruth - Thanks for the tech advice. I had no idea!

:wave: Everyone else! I keep singing the old Chicago song to myself today - "Does anybody really know what time it is...?" Got a nice ride in yesterday. Will try to squeeze on in later today but forgot I had afternoon plans and it is tooo cold this morning. I used to be a cub scout leader for several years and one of my old moms wanted a mom reunion now that our sons are seniors in HS. We are meeting at Panera and I will NOT eat any food that is off plan. Will not. Caught up in a good book I hope to finish today too. Busy.

Have a great rest of your weekend all.

Pearlrose
11-07-2010, 10:27 AM
Good morning everyone,

I meant to check in yesterday and never got around to it, but I am trying to check in daily for accountability.

Heidi- My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I have a close friend whose Husband committed suicide about 4 years ago and they still struggle to cope with it.

RK- I too have added about 10 lbs due to bad eating. I decided enough is enough and to take control again, that being said I am now on day 2 of Phase 1. I was going into what I call the death spiral of sugar addiction again, everyday I was starting to consume more of the stuff. It felt really good yesterday (besides the withdrawal headaches), but I woke up today feeling more in control.

Everyone else I hope you are enjoying your Sunday, it is beautiful here. I would reply to everyone but I need to get my butt moving and get ready for church.

TallandThin
11-07-2010, 11:50 AM
Morning everyone :wave:. Well our rain came during the night and with the time change and the rain, it's dark and gloomy so will have to put some music on to cheer things up.

Ruth, we love our birds. DH has made and mounted about eight bluebird boxes and every Spring hatches out several clutches and the best part is that they stay in our area. We have bird feeders and hang suet out but what they seem to like the most are our two bird baths. We have one right outside our front sliding glass door and just yesterday there were seven of them crowded in taking a bath at the same time. What a sight! We were feeding goldfinches but the thistle got so expensive that we had to stop. I know we had over a hundred and they are so pretty. Sure miss them.

BCGal :welcome2: to a great website and good friends. Come back often.

Twynn, Thanks for asking. Hung in there and didn't cave. I'm learning that if I can just wait it out the old cravings go away.

Pearlrose, Good for you :bravo: Welcome back to "on plan". Your user name is a combination of my mother's name and mine :)

Beloved and Rikki, I've been sending good "stay strong" thoughts your way. Hope it's working :crossed:!

Well, this rain presents a small problem. Do I walk or not:?: Since I haven't got around to buying a walking dvd yet, I can use the rain as an excuse :rolleyes: or I can put on a raincoat and just do it. Hmmm :chin: thinking........will let you know later.

rdw1
11-07-2010, 12:13 PM
Good Morning ladies! Thanks for all of your words of encouragement. I am looking forward to my test results- I also had asked him about the dairy sensitivity but I am not sure if either test he took will let me know about that... SO, I am a little confunsed on where to proceed from here right now. I imagine SBD will be very hard, especially p1 if I can't have gluten, being a vegetarian- and possibly vegan if I have dairy problems... Regardless you ladies always help keep me motivated so I will be posting in the daily at least occasionally if nothing else! On tap today is a little bit of yard work, the frost finally got my peppers and tomatoes too... a bit of laundry and a trip to the grocery for a few things...

TAT- I really enjoyed seeing your doggie pics, I bet mr.bigs is a hoot! ETA- Did you get your walk in?

Rae- :welcome: Glad you're feeling the results already! great motivation to keep on track!

Ruth- Sounds like your dinner party was a hit! Here's hoping the dishes aren't too much of a pain! lol Enjoy your free afternoon!

Twynn- Enjoy the remodeling, you sound like me with all your projects...lol

Cyndi- Have a safe trip! I know you will enjoy that DSL at your moms too!

Cottage- I won't say enjoy the yard work but enjoy your time outside! hehe

WT- yes, off the yoyo! time to cut the string! lol Enjoy your lunch at panera!

Pearl-Spiral of destruction is right! Glad you are back on track! I am working on it!

Lexxiss
11-07-2010, 08:08 PM
I hope everyone had a great Sunday! My connection went *poof* this morning and I'm just getting back for the day. We're starting to pack for our trip over the hill. :shrug: I don't know yet just when we'll be leaving in the morning. Sometimes it is just a surprise. lol

:welcome2: to the beach, BCGal! You are on the right track!

Take care everyone!

BelovedK
11-07-2010, 08:16 PM
Hi all :wave:

Welcome Rae, phase one feels so good, and it is fun trying all of the new recipes, have fun and stick around :)

rdw1, I missed your earlier post, but I hope all is ok, sounds challenging :hug:

TallandThin, How did your day cheer up? I had candles lit all day, I feel cozy and warm with light and fire nearby.
(thanks for the vibes :) )

Pearlrose, good idea to check in every day, I hope your day was nice :)

WaistingTime, how did you do at Panera? I think the black bean soup is good, but that's probably the only thing OP there, LOL. (except coffee)

Cottage, sounds like a nice day planned, how was dinner?

Cyndi :wave:

TwynnB, Friday's over, sounds like you've got a good attitude.
I just made slow cooker chili, it was white beans, fire roasted salsa and Boca beef crumbles, veg broth and other spices, etc. overnight on low. You reminded me because you mentioned the salsa (it was yummo) Yes, I ggot back on track, then off.... then on. LOL

Ruth, how did you enjoy your afternoon? Your day sounds lovely :) (and I hate next day dishes, I always hate when I don't do them as I go=, for some reason)

Rikki, I'm sending you empowerment. I hope you get the physical things sorted out and are able to get back on track.

Anyone I missed :wave:

My new car broke down today :( something with the clutch (at least it is not an automatic transmission) I was with a friend and we were taking my DD and her friend to IHOP. When I got there I split an order so I could just eat scrambled eggs. After the worst and slowest service, there was a gross hair cooked into my eggs :eek: When my replacement eggs finally came, I only ate a little bit of them. Then tonight DH brought home 2 tubs of cookie dough and of course DD wanted to make them. I had 2 cookies :( I am wanting more, but DH went in and is bagging them, and will take them to work with him (the ones DD doesn't take to school.

Oh, there is still 2 almost full tubs of dough in the freezer :-/

God spare me!!!!

BelovedK
11-07-2010, 08:21 PM
Someone, please talk me out of getting a cookie :(

BellaLucia
11-07-2010, 09:00 PM
It's not worth it BelovedK! I went to a buffet at Golden Corral and I indulged but it wasn't even worth it! I'm back on plan for the rest of the day!

BelovedK
11-07-2010, 09:05 PM
It's not worth it BelovedK! I went to a buffet at Golden Corral and I indulged but it wasn't even worth it! I'm back on plan for the rest of the day!
Thank you :) That helps. I'm sorry the GC got to you, I always feel horrible after I eat there (DD's dad takes her there) I am about to go to bed, I will surpass the kitchen.

BellaLucia
11-07-2010, 09:29 PM
I'm glad I helped you BelovedK, see you tomorrow!

Natasha1534
11-07-2010, 11:29 PM
Good evening, ladies!!! :) Made it home from SC about 5 hours ago and the first thing I did was highlight my niece's hair for her. What a sweet aunt I am, huh??? LOL Since then I've just been relaxing. I had a great weekend and the kids had a really good time. I was SO off-plan that I don't even want to think about it. I had planned on indulging in alcohol on Saturday night (initial plans were to go to the club, we ended up staying in and having people over instead). If any of you have ever played Circle of Death, you probably can guess where this is heading. 1st card drawn in the game and my bestfriend chooses me to take 5 shots of Sangria. Before the game was over I had to take 10 1/2 shots of Sangria and drink 4 beers. So yeah, a little over-indulgence in alcohol along w/ some pizza and chocolate chip cookies. BLEH!!!

I did, however, get in some exercise. Friday we walked around downtown Charleston for almost 2 hours, Saturday we walked for 2 1/2 hours at the fair, and then today we walked for another 45 minutes on the beach. The police officer doing traffic control for the fair was doing such a poor job (and listen, I'm the LAST one to critique an officer and the job they're doing) that we finally parked the car at a Piggly Wiggly and walked the 1/2 mile to the fair from there. I would bet my next paycheck we beat the people that were ahead of us in traffic. LOL

Anyway, I'll come back w/ more later.

Natasha1534
11-07-2010, 11:34 PM
Oh, and before I go I'd like to address Heidi...

Heidi, I am so sorry to hear about your nephew. *hugs* I will keep you and your family in my prayers. My older brother lost his bestfriend to suicide when he was 22 (to make matters worse, he committed suicide w/ a gun my brother had purchased for him for his birthday the year before). I know from experience it's not an easy thing to deal with and leaves a lot of unanswered questions. I found out too late that there was a walk for suicide prevention at the park behind my house...next year I will make sure to participate. I don't wish that on ANY family...it's a very painful thing to go through. I really feel for your family, Heidi...you are in my prayers, hon.

I will say this...it has been 15 years since Ken (my brother's bestfriend) committed suicide and I still think about him everyday and wonder why he did it. In time it DOES hurt less...but it never makes sense to you, no matter how hard you try. The only thing I can figure is that when someone gets to the point where they are considering suicide, they have to be at a point where they're SO desperate to end whatever they're going through that their state of mind isn't quite right and, to them, it seems like a logical solution. I've always said it's a permanent solution to a temporary problem. The truth is that suicide is an epidemic and, too often, it's one that's overlooked.

I'm so sorry you have to go through this, Heidi. If you need to talk to someone, my Inbox is open. *hugs*