Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 11-05-2010, 11:58 AM   #1  
Gotta run!

S/C/G: 210/*ticker*/160

Height: 5'5

Default Tips for running relaxed?

I'm starting a running program and trying to increase my distance. Only problem is whenever I go for long distances my shoulders and neck end up really sore the next day. It was suggested that I'm tensing up while I run so I was wondering if anyone had any tips for staying relaxed? Unfortunately I'm not finding it to be as easy as it sounds!!!
Aunty Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:10 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 150/150/135

Height: 5'7"

I find the same thing when I first start out on a run, and as soon as I realize I'm tensing up I let my arms hang straight down and sort of shake them out, stretch my hands towards the ground and shake my head back and forth. It probably looks really silly, but it sort of resets my muscles. Sometimes I have to do this 3 or 4 times before my head and neck stay relaxed.
flippychick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:39 PM   #3  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

youre probably clenching your fists and also running with your elbows bent more acutely than 90 degrees. Make a conscious effort to bend elbows LESS, so your arms do not cross up and across your chest when you pump them. Also your posture-- do you tense up and hunsh over when your tired. Focus on staying relaxed and upright-- head up. Also how is your foot striking? If you are a heel striker ( most are) than this contributes to keeping you tighter.
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:22 PM   #4  
Gotta run!

I'll keep all of these things in mind during my run today... thanks
Old 11-07-2010, 11:20 PM   #5  
Gotta run!

I just wanted to say that these suggestions really seem to have helped me today. Another thing I did was I made sure that I included my neck and shoulders in my after run stretching. I feel pretty good

mkroyer - I hope you don't mind but I copied down the quote at the end of your sig and printed it off. I put it in my wallet to help remind me to make healthy choices.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:06 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 183/maintaining 135ish

Height: 5'6"

This is going to sound a bit weird but -- consider your bra also. I have several t-back style sports bras, that tend to press on a certain place on my shoulders and give me a stiff neck. For some reason bras in that style often don't have adjustable straps.
bronzeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 12:06 PM   #7  
Gotta run!

You know I never thought about that.... my sports bra doesn't have adjustable straps and wasn't all that comfy when I first started wearing it. I may have to look into getting a new one when I can.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:47 PM   #8  
Gonna Do It This Time!

S/C/G: HW259/CW192ish/150

Height: 5'7"

Just thought I'd jump in on the bra discussion. When I run, I actually wear two regular underwire bras, one over top of the other. It works REALLY well!
stillwagontsl is offline   Reply With Quote