Weight Loss Support - What's been your most successful diet?

sandcar150
11-04-2010, 06:56 PM
I've done just about every diet out there, as many people have, but I find that most of the higher protein diets work best for me. I never feel deprived and my cravings for sweets disappear. The only thing I don't like about it is a miss my fruit.

How about you guys? What has been your favorite diet where you've been the most satisfied and had the most success?:?:

Bac0s
11-04-2010, 07:17 PM
Calorie counting is the only way I've ever had any success.

Onederchic
11-04-2010, 07:19 PM
Calorie counting for me too

Shmead
11-04-2010, 07:23 PM
Calorie counting + lower (but not low) carb/higher protein/higher fiber.

But it's not really a diet. I expect to count calories for the rest of my life.

Purpleegg
11-04-2010, 07:34 PM
The South Beach Diet and calorie counting. Can't say any diet could fall into a "favorites" category, but those seem the most reasonable for the long term. Now if I can only give myself a chance to see if that's true!

yhahmd
11-04-2010, 07:34 PM
Calorie counting.

HadEnough
11-04-2010, 07:50 PM
I lost almost 90 pounds calorie counting in 2006. Gained most of it back. Came back this fall and tried WW. It was not working for me, so I am back calorie counting with moderate carbs.

Good Luck!

energie
11-04-2010, 07:50 PM
Calorie counting and exercise has worked best for me.

JoJoJo2
11-04-2010, 07:51 PM
The exchange program worked for me.

angelskeep
11-04-2010, 08:30 PM
This is my first diet ever. I've been calorie counting and trying to eat well...complex carbs, lean protein, not a lot of fats, plenty of fiber, no processed sugar, more veg, some fruits, usually berries though I love bananas. Mainly keeping track of what I eat, portion sizes and LOTS of exercise. It works when I stay on plan, and even when I can't exercise much and I don't eat perfectly, I was able to maintain pretty much. This summer was just so hectic for us that i lost track, but I didn't gain even though I worried I would.

I like counting calories becuase I can choose what I eat. If I want to blow my cals on cookies for breakfast, I can. That said, it usually just isn't worth it...and I make better choices without feeling like I am on a no fun no food *DIET*

Barb

bargoo
11-04-2010, 08:35 PM
Calorie Counting works best for me and I've tried them all ( or so it seems )

Summer2010
11-04-2010, 09:02 PM
Weight watchers now...calorie counting in the past...either way, recording my food seems to help.

Sunshine73
11-04-2010, 09:04 PM
For me the only thing that has worked so far has been a combination of calorie counting with moderate carbs.

carlyjordon2002 I consider my eating plan to be moderate on carbs (at least moderate for a carb junkie like me) and I tend to settle around 100 - 130 g of carbs a day give or take. On a really heavy carb day I might hit around 150 or so.

Nola Celeste
11-04-2010, 09:05 PM
I lost 72 pounds on Jenny Craig in the early 90s. Although I gained all the weight back and then some, it wasn't until many years after I left the JC program and got a desk job instead of the retail jobs I'd previously worked; I was able to maintain it for nearly five years. The JC food was fairly tasty as frozen/packaged food goes; I did get a little bored with it after a few months, but I never suffered. The center offered more frills than I ever took advantage of--classes on maintenance, support group meetings, cooking lessons, and so forth. My counselor was awesome.

In fact, if I were to win the lottery, I'd probably head right back to Jenny, but barring that, there just aren't funds available for it. So calorie-counting I shall go! :)

Rather than continue to beat myself up about having to re-lose all that "post-Jenny" weight, I'm looking at it as a valuable learning experience. JC did teach me a lot about what works for me and what doesn't, so I'm glad to have that experience to call upon now that I'm trying a different road to Rome.

krampus
11-04-2010, 09:07 PM
Calorie approximation and lots of cardio.

I'd say this is my most "successful" weight loss venture because in the past I was just too teenage-angsty to eat or I tried to eat as little as humanly possible.

Kismet89
11-04-2010, 09:07 PM
Calorie counting + exercise = weight loss for me.

Hyacinth
11-04-2010, 09:11 PM
I lost 90 or so pounds on a Mediterranean-style diet before ... minimal animal fat, lots of vegetables, minimal refined carbs. I do spot-check calorie counts and measure my foods every few weeks to make sure I'm staying on track.

NorthernExposure
11-04-2010, 09:18 PM
Another calorie counter here. I don't really keep track of carbs, but I've replaced white bread with whole grain and try to limit "white" carbs (pasta, potatoes, etc.) to once or twice a week. Lean protiens, healthy fats, fruits and veggies (learning to work more of these in!)

I do allow for some "treats" as long as I budget for them.

Moderate exercise...low impact cardio, yoga and strength training.

I tried low carbing (south beach) but couldn't stick to it. I've also tried just "eating better", but I need the calorie counting part to make myself accountable. As another poster mentioned, I too, as a teenager did stupid crash starvation diets that obviously don't work!

This is the longest I've ever stuck to a diet and the most weight I've ever lost! Yes, sometimes CC does get a bit tedious at times, but it's totally worth it. I'm not going back to 274 lbs.

Jelbelle
11-04-2010, 10:09 PM
Fat Smashers =) with very mild calorie guestimating. And my own customized workout program, o' course.

rockinrobin
11-04-2010, 10:17 PM
My most successful diet has been overhauling my lifestyle. Breaking the bad habits and establishing new, healthy ones.

For me that means adhering to a set calorie allotment, combined with eating mostly whole foods - tons of veggies (prepared in awesome ways) to provide me with LOTS of volume, low fat proteins, and some fruits, a bare minimum of grains (Fiber One cereal). With the exception of rare occasions, I avoid pasta, rice, breads, potatoes, sugar.

It's definitely been my ONLY successful *diet*, having freed me up to lose 165 pounds and keep it off for over 3 years and counting.

sandcar150
11-04-2010, 10:50 PM
Thanks for all the responses!

Wow...I cannot believe how many people do calorie counting (my current plan). That is awesome to how many of you have had so much success with it.

Nola, I used to be a Jenny Craig consultant (my favorite job). I think their food is so much more tasty than any other program where you have to buy their food. But you're right, they are expensive.

Ookpik
11-04-2010, 10:56 PM
Calorie counting worked for me, too - I lost 100 pounds doing it. I got away from it, gained some of the weight back, but re-started calorie-counting, faithfully and am finally getting back on track.

shcirerf
11-04-2010, 11:39 PM
I like WW for the meetings, support, social time and tools. However, I do best with lots of lean protein, veggies, fruit and staying away from taters, pasta, and processed foods. WW taught me how to eat healthy most of the time and how to deal with unexpected situations and how to plan for things like my sons wedding, holidays, and allow a splurge now and then.

Whatever you choose, it has to have balance, and you have to be able to do it forever. One Oreo won't make you fat, but the whole box will. :(

Water25
11-05-2010, 12:28 AM
High protein works for me. I am insulin resistant and have alot of muscle, so my body does better with lots of protein. I find that as long as I get the protein grams I need in the day, the rest of my diet falls into place naturally.
I can't do starches, but I do eat fruit.
Rice is my main weakness, so I just don't make it.

Lyn2007
11-05-2010, 01:44 AM
Wellm depends on the definition of successful I guess. If you lose a lot of weight on a diet but then gain it all back, was it a success?

I lost 35ish pounds on South Beach, but gained it back.
I lost about 35 pounds counting calories in the 1990s but gained it all back.

I lost 65 pounds mostly counting calories in 2007-8 but regained maybe 20 of that...

and now from there I am down another 60 pounds on low cal/low carb meal replacement plan plus home cooked dinner (Medifast 5&1).

Changed
11-05-2010, 02:09 AM
Intermittent Fasting. After the first month, I don't feel like I'm even dieting. I don't get hungry or think about food all day and I'm still losing weight. It's very freeing to not have to count anything and eat what I want every single day (from 3-8pm).

MaryOjo
11-05-2010, 03:57 AM
I'm on Carbohydrate addict's dietby Dr Rachael & Richard Heller, i limit my carb intake to once a day and eat lots of vegetables and proteins at the other meal times. I also walk for 30mins - 1hr at least 4days a week.

Rochester
11-05-2010, 04:49 AM
Calorie counting, which for me doesn't just mean hitting a target number of calories each day, but having the right balance of macronutrients as well. I aim for 1,400 - 1,600 calories with a 25 carb/35 protein/40 fat percentage breakdown. The carb number is the most tricky. Too many days below 20% and I stall; too many days over 25% and I gain.

And I have to exercise - a balance of cardio and strength training. Without exercise, it doesn't matter how perfect my food numbers are, I will not lose.

odonnela
11-05-2010, 06:30 AM

What she said! :carrot::carrot:

Cali Doll
11-05-2010, 06:41 AM
Weight Watchers Online gave me the accountability I needed. It also taught me about portion sizes and cooking. I needed this. I recommend WW to everyone that asks; however, I know that it doesn't meet the needs of everyone as it does for me.

HadEnough
11-05-2010, 06:45 AM
I TRY to keep my carbs around 25% or around 100 g per day. I just started this as I was eating way too many carbs on WW, and it really seems to be working and is not hard to do for me.

airbear
11-05-2010, 07:11 AM
Calorie counting, no sugar, very little grains, good protein and fat, lots of veggies.

seagirl
11-05-2010, 07:27 AM
Calorie counting + hiking + biking + walking + yoga.

Belinda0509
11-05-2010, 08:52 AM
I've lost at least 75 pounds on 4 different occasions using Weight Watchers.

I lost 150 pounds one time following a low carb diet.

This time I'm calorie counting.

But the most successful diet is this one because I've finally made up my mind that this is for life and there is no going back. :)

HealthyMe47
11-05-2010, 09:05 AM
I've been successful on several things....anything that forces me to stick to a limit and doesn't allow me to just eat whatever I feel like seems to work! I've had success with Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, and Seattle Sutton. Weight Watchers was the most permanent and least expensive. Currently I am counting calories using the SparkPeople.com website. It is free and has a huge database of foods, and you can also add your own.

SisuInWI
11-05-2010, 09:33 AM
Don Mannarino's Think and Lose self-hypnosis and exercise. It will be 2 years next week and it is still working and I still love it. Life changing!

Eliana
11-05-2010, 09:38 AM
My most successful diet has been overhauling my lifestyle.

Weird. Word for word, this is what I was going to say.

I started out with calorie counting and gradually moved toward whole foods. I'd say I change things/add foods/subtract foods every month.

More than anything though, what has worked for me is committing to a year of a being on plan. That year is almost up, I've lost over 75 pounds and I have some really good, firm habits. Soon, I'll be moving on to my second year commitment, and then my third, and then my fourth...

SCraver
11-05-2010, 10:09 AM
I shoot for 1600 - 1800 calories a day. I tired 1400 for a while, but that was too low and I couldn't stick to it. I also tried lower carb (30 - 40%) and that didn't work for me. I was hungry all the time. Now I am shooting for 50% carbs (max of 200 g) and that is really working well for me.

I am eating whole grains: barley, quinoa, whole wheat pasta on occassion. I try to eat a lot of veggies. And I limit my alcohol. I try to stay away from processed foods.

I am always looking for more ways to cut out HFCS, MSG and Trans fats.

I run, take a zumba class once a week, and strength train.

This is the most successful I have ever been. This is my lowest since college. I have been hanging out in the mid-"single digits" since July (and I know what I need to do to start losing again). Normally, I get down to 210 and "fall off the wagon". Now... it isn't about the number on the scale. It is about being healthy and feeling good about myself. If something doesn't make me feel good, I don't do it. Period. But then I look for something that DOES make me feel good. Ex. I HATE carrots. I will not eat them raw. Period. I will NOT force myself to do so. BUT, I have found I can cook them up, puree them and toss them into spaghetti sauce. If I am sore and don't want to run today - then I don't!! BUT that means I gotta run tomorrow.

I am on a big quest to find balance. To separate food from emotions. To eat balanced, whole meals. To get fit and build muscles. To help my hubby eat better. To teach my son how to eat healthfully.

bargoo
11-05-2010, 10:59 AM
Thanks for all the responses!

Wow...I cannot believe how many people do calorie counting (my current plan). That is awesome to how many of you have had so much success with it.

Nola, I used to be a Jenny Craig consultant (my favorite job). I think their food is so much more tasty than any other program where you have to buy their food. But you're right, they are expensive.

I used to be a Jenny Craig consultant, too. The food is by far better than some others, but it is much cheaper to prepare your own food.

synger
11-05-2010, 11:42 AM
Low carb calorie counting here, too

Jacqueline Nauvall
11-05-2010, 01:11 PM
I dislike the word "diet" - primarily because it evokes the image of starvation. And we all know that "diets" don't really work. What I have found to be effective is first of all getting a good understanding of your body's requirements based on your physical activity, and body type/size.

What I have found works is adopting a balanced approach using both good nutrition and increased physical activity. Here is an article that I recently published that I believe says it all. I hope you find it of use:

"Why Diets Make You Fat"

If you’re like me, then you most probably have been on multiple diets over the years – low fat, low carb, low salt. Well, I tried them all – anything that promised to make me lose weight and get thin, I bought it.

And did I lose weight? Sure – but only initially. It was almost like I was hooked. I tried one diet, lost weight, felt good, started eating normally, gained even more weight, went on another diet, lost weight, felt great, started eating normally, gained even more weight, etc, etc, etc.

The Yo-Yo Diet lifestyle became my life. And then I learned that I had been doing it all wrong.

At the University of California, a scientific team analysed more than 30 studies of diets and found that a group of dieters ended up fatter than a control group who hadn’t restricted their food at all.

One of the researchers, Dr Traci Mann, says: “You can initially lose 5-10 per cent of your weight on any number of diets. But after this honeymoon period, the weight comes back.”

Why? Well each diet basically tricks you into consuming fewer calories. And since you are eating less, your body will start to use your existing fat stores for the energy you need to survive. So the diets will work – for a time.

But then something funny starts to happen – your body starts to believe that there will always be less to eat and that you are entering a period of starvation. It will then start adjusting to suit. You think: diet. Your body thinks: famine.

In order to survive it will do two things:

1. It starts adjusting your metabolism so that you will not use as much stores as you would have under normal conditions

2. It gets better at converting nutrients into fat, ensuring that you have more fat stores for the approaching lean times.

The end result? – You end up getting fatter in the long run.

In addition, most diets only look at cutting calories. They fail to address the underlying cause of weight gain which may be an insulin imbalance in the body. This insulin imbalance is often caused partly by poor nutrition (overindulgence in sugar and refined carbohydrates) and partly by stress, lack of exercise and the normal aging process.

So, what’s the solution?

To eat a balanced diet and adopt a balanced lifestyle.

Balanced eating means restricting refined and processed foods and eliminating the consumption of artificial fats. These types of foods not only make you fat, but also could be very harmful to your overall health.

So here’s what you need to do right now, in order to gain control over your weight and your health:

1. Resolve to stop dieting. Avoid the media hype and the newest fads. Stick to time-proven, medically-sound approaches to losing weight.
2. Resolve to avoid bad carbohydrates, forever. This includes any foods that contain refined sugar (cakes, muffins, cookies, biscuits, sweets, chocolates, ice-cream, puddings, milkshakes,etc) or refined carbohydrates (e.g. white flour, white pasta, white rice)
3. Replace your bad carbohydrates with whole grains like rolled oats, brown rice, millet, barley and raw nuts and seeds, especially almonds, sunflower seeds, sesame, linseeds and pumpkin seeds.
4. Resolve to avoid all hydrogenated fats, or deep fried foods
5. Avoid anything processed or canned as many processed meats contain harmful nitrates.
6. Try to use as much organic, fresh produce and meats as possible

Start doing this today and you’ll feel a whole lot better in a few days. And a whole lot lighter too.

mom4life
11-05-2010, 02:59 PM

yup, that pretty much sums up what I'm doing. I did the Atkin's diet for a while and loved it but after having my 3 month old I adopted this method. Calorie counting and a lower amount of carbs, more protein and fiber.

katy trail
11-05-2010, 03:25 PM
re: article. although our image of 'diet' is of restriction etc. that's not really true. i dislike grouping all diets together as puting your body into starvation mode. many diets are healthy, encourage us to eat healthy, exercise regularly. a balance.

we all need to think of this as a lifestyle. this isn't i'm losing 10 pounds to fit in that dress. it's being healthy for life.

SCraver
11-05-2010, 03:43 PM
re: article. although our image of 'diet' is of restriction etc. that's not really true. i dislike grouping all diets together as puting your body into starvation mode. many diets are healthy, encourage us to eat healthy, exercise regularly. a balance.

we all need to think of this as a lifestyle. this isn't i'm losing 10 pounds to fit in that dress. it's being healthy for life.

I totally agree!

The definition of diet:

di·et
noun, verb, -et·ed, -et·ing, adjective
–noun
1. food and drink considered in terms of its qualities, composition, and its effects on health: Milk is a wholesome article of diet.
2. a particular selection of food, esp. as designed or prescribed to improve a person's physical condition or to prevent or treat a disease: a diet low in sugar.
3. such a selection or a limitation on the amount a person eats for reducing weight: No pie for me, I'm on a diet.
4. the foods eaten, as by a particular person or group: The native diet consists of fish and fruit.
5. food or feed habitually eaten or provided: The rabbits were fed a diet of carrots and lettuce.
6. anything that is habitually provided or partaken of: Television has given us a steady diet of game shows and soap operas.
–verb (used with object)
7. to regulate the food of, esp. in order to improve the physical condition.
8. to feed.
–verb (used without object)
9. to select or limit the food one eats to improve one's physical condition or to lose weight: I've dieted all month and lost only one pound.
10. to eat or feed according to the requirements of a diet.
–adjective
11. suitable for consumption with a weight-reduction diet; dietetic: diet soft drinks.

tttellier
11-05-2010, 11:11 PM
Dr. Ian Smith's Extreme Fat Smash diet. I used it before I became pregnant with my daughter....lost 23 lbs in 8 weeks and only gained back three. Back on it to see if I can finally get my last 15-20 off and lost 4 lbs in less than one week!
The diet is based on the glycemic index allowing four meals a day and two snacks. It is restrictive, as it states exactly what to eat for every meal and a lot of aerobic exercise. Lots of whole grains....all food groups included.

Beverlyjoy
11-06-2010, 05:55 AM
Two plans over the years have given me a blueprint for losing weight and having food sanity,

Calories counting works well for me. I also like food exchanges, too. I am doing exchanges now and I'll do that after my foot/ankle surgery because it will be easier.

AZ Sunrises
11-06-2010, 08:42 AM
Oddly, it's not a diet at all in the traditional sense. I try to not eat wheat products since there's a slight allergy...so it would be lower carb, if I didn't choose to do sushi a couple of times per week. I love In & Out, so I have it when I'm craving burgers. I went to a Mexican place and had carnitas a few days ago. There are days I eat over my calorie goals.

Know what I've realized? This is life. Sure, I'd theoretically be down another 20 lbs if I'd be more restrictive and regimented. Reality is that I'd have gotten frustrated, binged, and given up. Knowing I can eat to lose and still enjoy meals out with friends lets me know that I'm going to be able to maintain when I hit goal. :) That's something that was a foreign concept over the years of super-restrictive dieting.

Horo
11-06-2010, 09:41 AM
I lost 65 lbs in about a year by completely changing my lifestyle and tracking calories while I did so. I've kept it off by implementing all I've learned about portion sizes, eating whole foods, exercise, and just being healthy in general on a day to day basis. (Going vegan might also have helped, but I digress.)

Hyacinth
11-06-2010, 10:14 AM
Jacqueline Nauvall, I think the original poster meant "diet" in the broadest sense of the definition - what you eat on a daily basis.

sacha
11-06-2010, 11:00 AM
Calorie counting is proof for me for 6 years straight. My only stumbling block was pregnancy which I obviously had to gain - calorie counting is bringing me back down to maintenance. Cannot argue with it.