General chatter - What (Baby) Names Do You Like?

View Full Version : What (Baby) Names Do You Like?

Pudgebrownie
11-04-2010, 06:47 PM
I thought this might be a fun and interesting topic because so many of us come from different cultures and upbringings. There's only one request and that's to keep this thread positive! That means if there's a name posted that you'd never ever pick for whatever reason — please keep it to yourself :]

So what (baby) names do you like? Do you prefer long names? Or hyphenated names? How about initialed names like A.J? What about nicknames like Jen or Ben? Are ethnic and exotic names more appealing to you? Or are traditional names more your style? How do you feel about naming a child ____ Jr. after their father or grandfather? What about a theme where every child has the same first letter in their name like Erica, Edison and Eli? How about a rhyming theme like Jimmy and Johnny? What was it like growing up with YOUR name?

To answer one of my own questions, my name is an old traditional Irish name, which is typically a boy's name but in other countries it's more common as a girl's name. And, here's my current list of girl names (and it does change here and there).. These are in no particular order :] Oh and no I'm not pregnant haha. Seriously I've had a WIP baby name list since I was about fifteen years old.. And not one of my original names are on my current list! xD

- Grier
- Ella
- Ceri
- Jasmen
- Kadi
- Samone
- Gwen
- Myra
- Sura
- Suri
- Abba

GreenTeaYum
11-04-2010, 06:52 PM
For some reason, I've always liked:

boy names:
Mason
Xander
Dexter

girl names:
Sophie
Zoe
Chloe
Nina

Petite Powerhouse
11-04-2010, 07:02 PM
No one had my name when I was growing up. You couldn't find it on mugs, bracelets, magnets. You couldn't find it at all except in a 1944 romance novel and 1947 movie by the same name. Oh, yeah, and in "America the Beautiful." It was so unusual it used to trip my father's secretary up when she would relay a message from me.

Now it is much more popular, but I have never met anyone my age or older, or even in my age decade, with my name. I wish it was still unique. *big sigh*

I've never given a lot of thought to baby names, but there are certain names I really like.

Girls:

Regan (pronounced REE-gun, as per one of the daughters in King Lear, not Reagan, like the ex-president)

Aeryn (pronounced like Erin)
Morgan
Viola (not pronounced like the instrument, but rather with a hard "i" and soft "o" and the emphasis on the first syllable: VY-uh-luh [Shakespeare again])
Bronwyn
Gwyneth

Boys:

Aidan
Connor
Jack
Jackson

Ultimately, though, I'd love a child of mine to have a name as rare (but not to my mind weird) as mine was when I was growing up.

yhahmd
11-04-2010, 07:32 PM
I like the names:

Farah
Leyla
Marwa
Noor
Rayan
Hana

And for guys I like

Ramzi
Remy
Alim
Amaar
Khalid
Eli

I can't ever make my mind up, either, though. Luckily (or maybe not luckily) when I get married and get pregnant, I'll at least have someone else to talk it over with.

WinterJinx
11-04-2010, 07:35 PM
I was named after my mother and grandmother so I grew up being called by my initials....which I love. I really think your name shapes your personality...I think my name made me more laid back. But I will never give my daughter my name

Girl Names
Winter
Summer
Emma
Heaven
Rosetta

Boy Names
Dimitri
Benjamin
Dexter
Jack

I tend to like frilly unusual girl names...The name 'Emma' has been the only real exception

Shopaholic1204
11-04-2010, 07:49 PM
Hubs & I have been thinking up baby names since we got together our senior year of HS, lol

Girls-
Daliah
Jocelyn
Zoey
Phoebe
Rosalie

Boys-
Jacob
Gabriel
Dominic
Jackson
Jonathan

The names we'll end up going with were already pre-approved by my mom before she passed away. They are Iris & Alfonso (he'll go by AJ though..because hub's is Alfonso).

bargoo
11-04-2010, 08:34 PM
I like names that go wel lwith the last name and that are not too trendy and I do not like Junior, everyone should have their own name,

Girls
Stefanie
Linda

boys
Aaron
Jacob

kellie105
11-04-2010, 08:41 PM
I really like my little girls name- Ella Michael. (Michael is her daddys name)

krampus
11-04-2010, 08:42 PM
I love naming things ;)

Female:
Layla/Laila/Leyla
Elea/Elaia
Sasha
Chloe
Hallie
Alanna

Male:
Deshaun
Amir
Ricardo
Wesley
Clark
Felix

EZMONEY
11-04-2010, 08:50 PM
My first GRANDchild will be born in March....her name will be KIA..(ki-ah)...

to be honest I am not "feeling" it.....but would never EVER tell my son and dil so....

she will be beautiful!

JennyT
11-04-2010, 08:50 PM
I like

boys- Kieran, (my son) Declin, Conner

girls- Keely, Kaitlyn

bargoo
11-04-2010, 09:01 PM
My first GRANDchild will be born in March....her name will be KIA..(ki-ah)...

to be honest I am not "feeling" it.....but would never EVER tell my son and dil so....

she will be beautiful!

You might gently remind them that is the name of a car, my friend drives one. Maybe Chevrolet or Lexus would be better

Smiling_Sara
11-04-2010, 09:05 PM
Girl:
Miranda
Emma
Sophia
Ellie/Ella

Boy:
Wyatt
Noah
Ian
Samuel

EZMONEY
11-04-2010, 09:07 PM
You might gently remind them that is the name of a car, my friend drives one. Maybe Chevrolet or Lexus would be better

So THIS is your payback of me baggin' on your giants?

You can do better than that girl!! :hug:

EZMONEY
11-04-2010, 09:08 PM
That is a long I on and short A on Kia...

bargoo
11-04-2010, 09:14 PM
So THIS is your payback of me baggin' on your giants?

You can do better than that girl!! :hug:

Sorry.....just could't resist. Too bad it isn't going to be a boy.Matt or Tim would be nice and Buster is a good solid boys name.

EZMONEY
11-04-2010, 09:20 PM
Sorry.....just could't resist. Too bad it isn't going to be a boy.Matt or Tim would be nice and Buster is a good solid boys name.

:D to this day my son is pissed we didn't name him MATT!

sacha
11-04-2010, 09:21 PM
I named my boy Alexandre :) If he was a girl, he'd be Chloé

LindseyLou
11-04-2010, 09:40 PM
Top names: Amelia Elizabeth ______ and Ethan John _______.

Other names I like for girls are:
Sophia
Elizabeth
Alexandra
Isabelle
Layla

Other names I like for boys are:
Colin
Evan
Charles

For some reason girl names are easier for me to come up with and for my husband and I to agree upon!

oodlesofnoodles
11-04-2010, 10:29 PM
Hmmm. For girls names I like:

Maggie
Alyssa
Audrey

Boys:

Miles
Jude
Dillon

I think about baby names all the time. And I've already started planning my wedding because I'm cool like that lol.

lizziep
11-05-2010, 01:19 AM
for a girl like like Lina Gene - the Gene spelled purposely like you would for a man because it is a family name for my husbands side of the family and a nod to my grandmothers favorite author. I always wanted to pass down my grandmothers name Patricia but it does not go with my last name and it would be awful.
I honestly always imagined myself having a girl and never thought much about boys names. I really liked Tristan but now it seems to be more of a girls name where i live. i think i'd pick something Gaelic for a boys name, if i could talk the husband into it.
I like Charlotte- but my cousin got it first. Our great grandmother was Charlotte and they called her Lottie.
I seem to have a knack for thinking of inappropriate names. I really like Ella- but knowing my genes she'd be fat and I don't want her growing up being called Ella-phant. haha.

i know this is mean but i do like to go to our local hospitals baby album and make fun of the dumb names. there are lots of hippies where i live and some of the names are fun. plus ogling babies is always fun!

lizziep
11-05-2010, 01:20 AM
@EZ - I have a little niece that is almost a year old. and i abso-freaking-lutely hate the name her mom picked. it's long, it's dumb, and i can't shorten it into anything. and her middle name is long and crappy too. there is nothing good and cute i can call this kid. :)

Glory87
11-05-2010, 02:33 AM
I am a Jennifer, so I always wanted something a little more unusual. I hate made up or weirdly spelled names. Kia is pretty terrible, that poor kid is going to be saying "no, long I" for her entire life, because of that dumb car.

I like:
Lila Elizabeth
Ethan Robert (both my husband's dad and my dad are named Robert, so that's a no-brainer).

Regera Dowdy
11-05-2010, 05:28 AM
Kia is pretty terrible, that poor kid is going to be saying "no, long I" for her entire life, because of that dumb car.

Hah! Too bad they won't spell it differently like Kaya or something. Less car association that way, especially since names like Tia, Mia, and Pia can be pronounced to rhyme with Kia the car, so it would be intuitive for a lot of people. Or just me.

Not a fan of theme names either with letters (Kevin, Keith, Karen, and Kelly) or a concept (Wind, Rain, and Snow). I don't like everyday words as names unless they've been long established (Jean/Gene have probably been around longer than the modern words) or maybe if it's an uncommon word (Constance), but that seems like you're just asking for the person to be opposite to their name (Chastity!). I like exotic names to a degree. With a common surname, I could see it used to stand out a little. If it's a name no one you know, including yourself, has ever heard pronounced and you're guessing at a pronunciation, it might be too exotic.

I like old-fashioned names, like Hester or Wendell, but older names seem to be a trend right now. For girls, names that end in -lyn/-lynne or -bel/-belle appeal to me a lot. It's also really easy to make a name with those suffixes that doesn't sound forced, like Coralyn and Marabel. For boys, I tend to like the regular names that come from the Bible: John, Matthew, Michael, etc. I also names that are one to three syllables and I like boys' names that come from surnames as well. It's best when the whole name goes together and the initials aren't weird. Ezekiel-Pierre Razorblade Johnson and Peter Oscar Oppenheimer don't work for me.

I love names, but I rant about spelling. If a name already has common spelling(s), I hate when people get "creative" with the spelling, like the name is pronounced like Sarah (Sara) but spelled Ceirraah. If it's got a cultural basis, that adds interest, but some people think spelling Michelle as Myshyl is a good idea. I've also heard of a someone naming their daughter Harlotte. Poor, poor kids.

My first name is common but my last name is very uncommon. I have to spell both often, but they aren't too long. My sister has a letter for a middle name and my dad forgot what he intended the initial to be, so she's angsted over that. :D

KenzideRhae
11-05-2010, 09:22 PM
I always have so many more girl's names I like than boy's, I have no idea why XD

Girls
Elena
Antonia
Carmela
Nerissa
Isabel
Selene
Gianna
Marta

Boys
Antonio or Anthony
Leandro
Benicio

Ciao
11-05-2010, 09:29 PM
http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab15/JeMappelleSierra/Photography/divider-2.jpg
My mother's name is Venita (we're
Italian) and I've always loved that name.

I also like my sister's name; Khloé Isabella.

My fiancé and his siblings also
have their middle name as Martin,
after his father's name.
So any future kids we will have will
also have their middle name as Martin
because it's now become tradition.
http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab15/JeMappelleSierra/Photography/divider-2.jpg

Emmieooo
11-05-2010, 10:15 PM
I like classic names

Boys

Sam (my 2 year old)
Jack
Benjamin

Girls
Lucy
Molly
Penny

Linsy
11-05-2010, 10:38 PM
I like the names Sophie and Olivia. I named the dog Sophie and my cat Olivia...because I don't ever want kids anyway. :lol:

FrouFrou
11-05-2010, 11:03 PM
Girls...
Molly
Margaret (Maggie)
Megan
Rebecca
Rachel
Jennifer (My absolute favorite name)
Lily
Rose/Rosa
Marie
Carrie
Leona
Olivia
Elisabeth
Nina

Boys...
Matthew (My absolute favorite)
Aaron
Myles
Ryan
Nathan(iel)
David
Eli
Ian
Joshua
Noah

EZMONEY
11-05-2010, 11:55 PM
OK...evidently...according to ANGIE...the name has been changed to KAIA instead of KIA....

is that even better?......

I am going to the sports bar with my son tomorrow for football... pizza and beers....

maybe I will "chat"....lol

coffeebean267
11-05-2010, 11:59 PM
Girl:
Michaela
Francesca
Leah

Boy:
Dylan
Michael
Aiden

Irishowl
11-06-2010, 03:15 PM
The names we have agreed on when we have children are:

Girl:
Aimee Josephine
Annie Sage

Boy:
Sawyer Karl
Sean Nelson

sacha
11-06-2010, 03:20 PM
My parent's don't care for the spelling of my son's name. Personally, that hurt me. They had their chance to name their baby - now it was my turn.

JMO as someone who just had a baby 'from the other side of the coin' :)

dragonwoman64
11-06-2010, 07:29 PM
I was glad to see so many votes for Chloe, one of my favorites. Named my cat that (don't have kids).

I grew up Margie (now Marge, full name Marjorie). I really like Marjorie, and now think Margie is cute. Marge, well, I'm not super crazy about it, but I've learned to live with it (!) ha.

I tend to like names like Robert, Michael, Matthew, Joshua, Brian, Adam.

Olivia is pretty, Grace, Sarah, Elizabeth, Anna. I think if I had a daughter I'd name her Anna.

fashinjunkie09
11-07-2010, 01:31 PM
My mom's middle name is 'Lee' as was my dad's, and my mom spelled my name 'Ashlee' so I wanted to keep the two e's theme in my kid's names (my fiancé is not so keen on this but he knows it's important to me). Along with two e's, I like names that are not very popular. Here's a running list I have:

Boys
- Keegan (my two year old)
- Reese
- Reed

Girls
- Analee (my fiancé hates this because it has the word 'anal' in it lol)
- Ainslee
- Greenlee

I love the name Grace for a girl's middle name as it was my great-grandmother's name. We also really like the names Ryder for a boy and Olivia for a girl, but they don't have my two e's... :)

sak133
11-08-2010, 02:19 PM
i like ,
REHAN
SWEETY
DEXTOR
ROBBIN:carrot:

mkendrick
11-08-2010, 02:59 PM
My name is Megan Jewel. I used to think that Megan was too common and plain, but I've come to rather like it. And I love my middle name. It was my great grandmother's name, and it's unique without being obnoxiously so. Plus I like the flow of it...Megan Jewel.

I dislike themed names, (same first letters for siblings, etc), I dislike Jr and II or III, I think keeping a name in the family is alright when done in moderation. I tend to like classic old fashioned names as long as they don't sound like an old person name. I like Henry and Molly, I don't care for Albert and Opal. I'm all for unique names that stand out, but when they're just a random assimilation of syllables or too out there, it seems a bit too forced. I'm another one that thinks obnoxious spelling just for the sake of being creative and different gets way out of hand.

I guess things I'll consider when naming my babies is:
1) How well the name flows with the middle and last name
2) Finding a level of uniqueness that is far from being on the top 10 baby names but also not too random
3) I'd try to imagine what it would be like for my kid to have the name. Is s/he always going to have to be correcting the spelling or pronunciation? Will they be given good or bad nicknames? Are people going to think s/he is from another country?
and 4) What sentimental value does the name hold. Do I like its meaning? Am I naming him/her after somebody i respect, etc.

Here are a few that I like off the top of my head:

Female:
- Avery
- Annalise (ONnuh-LEESE)
- Hannah
- Isabelle

Male:
- Jack
- Ben/Benjamin
- Wallace
- Connor

Glory87
11-08-2010, 03:08 PM
i like ,
REHAN
SWEETY
DEXTOR
ROBBIN:carrot:

Please, stand for the President of the United States, Sweety McLastname. Uh huh. ;)

jess jp
11-08-2010, 09:21 PM
we named our son Kai. i personally like the spelling of ky, but k.y. jelly? noooo. i didn't want him to be made fun of.
i also like
ian-that will probably be our next sons name if we have another boy.
and for a girl we like
tessa
soleil
joslyn (our stillborn daughters name).