General chatter - What are your weird cooky quirks? :)

mkendrick
11-04-2010, 04:41 PM
My fiance has been living with me for a month, and after him being gone for a year in Iraq, and the fact that this is our first time actually living together, we're getting to know each other on a whole new level. For the most part, it's fun and interesting to learn new things about each other, but some "odd" stuff has come up in the last few weeks. Just little things that are more funny than anything, but it's just an interesting thing to get to know somebody so well that all their weird little quirks come out. We walk around our whole lives thinking that we're normal and other people are the weirdos. But we all have some "unique" little things about us, haha.

For example, my guy multitasks like crazy in the bathroom. He'll bring in a beer and leave the door open so he can keep watching a football game (and he'll still hoot and hollar at the players). Or he'll bring his investing notebook in and go over his stocks. He's even taken his laptop in there with him. When I poke fun at him for it, he says if he's going to be in there for awhile, he might as well get something done.

But as much as I think my hubs-to-be is the weirdest person on the planet, I have my own little Meganisms.

I can ONLY walk on a person's left side. They have to be on my right side. I can walk between two people, but if there are more than three of us walking together, MORE people have to be to my right side. I get uncomfortable and can't focus on the conversation until I get on my proper side of somebody. I'd much rather walk in front of or behind somebody than walk on the wrong side.

Any floral-themed object (floral pattern fabrics on pillows or blankets, fake flowers, etc etc) MUST face the window because that's the direction that real flowers would grow. And yes, I will discretely slightly adjust objects in other peoples' homes so that their floral stuff faces the window.

I also have a legitimate anxiety of phones. I don't like calling people, even friends or for something simple like making an appointment. But what really gets my panties in a twist is receiving phone calls. If I get a call from an unknown number, I actually have a physical reaction of a cold sweat, racing heart, short breaths, etc. If I work up the nerve to answer it, I can barely squeak out a "hello" because I'm so nervous. If I wuss out and don't answer, I just cross my fingers that it was a wrong number and they don't leave a voicemail. For some reason I just always assume it's going to be terrible news. Like somebody died or I owe a lot of money or something, lol. I'm really quite a social person and I like talking to friends and meeting new people, just HATE the phone.

So what about you, I know you're all secretly weirdos masquerading as normal people :carrot:

Ciao
11-04-2010, 05:07 PM
http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab15/JeMappelleSierra/Photography/divider-2.jpg
When reading a book, I absolutely
HAVE to mark notes in it. I usually
will post sticky notes on pages. I'll
note key points, words I may not
know, or where I zone out and lose
interest. My fiancÚ finds hundreds
of sticky notes in books and he
thought it was strange at first,
but he's grown use to it.

I also write in a weird way.
The paper ALWAYS has to be turned
to the side, away from me, for me to
write. I will write sideways if the
paper is vertically in front of me. :lol:
http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab15/JeMappelleSierra/Photography/divider-2.jpg

cornellchick
11-04-2010, 05:14 PM
All the bills in my wallet have to face the same way and be ordered by denomination.

I count stairs.

I worked in an Apple Store for one summer and now I have a compulsion to straighten everything up whenever I go to an Apple Store... it's what we always had to do when business was slow.

Sunshine73
11-04-2010, 05:39 PM
LOL @ your fiancee in the bathroom!!

I'm really weirded out by textures - both tactile and visual so I can get icked out pretty easily. Hubs has gotten used to it and occasionally he likes to play on that just to drive me nuts.

If I pour a drink into a glass it has to be a "glass" glass. I loathe drinking out of plastic cups.

I also do the "writing sideways" thing. I can't write straight on, the paper is turned at least 90 degrees or a bit more for me to write comfortably.

I'm also phone-phobic. For me, text messaging has been the best invention ever!

Hubs calls me the "grammar ****". Not that I'm always perfect but I am seriously bothered by misspelled words and misused words and have been known to take and pen and correct signs, etc. displayed in area businesses.

Petite Powerhouse
11-04-2010, 05:51 PM
I'm a grammar N**i myself, but I wouldn't call that a quirk in my case. I'm an English major—as is my mother, who is also a one-time English teacher—as well as a professional writer and editor for the past 16 years, so it's simply a genetic and an occupational hazard.

I don't think I really have any quirks. I do read in the bathroom while shaving my legs and curling and drying my hair, but that's just because I'm busy and have to fit reading in somehow.

I work in the dark—my office is known as "The Bat Cave"—but that also isn't really a quirk. My pupils are just incredibly large—so large that I have never needed to have them dilated. I can see spiders scurrying across the asphalt at midnight. Seriously. And for this reason I often wear sunglasses inside, in conference rooms and malls and the like. I've even worn them at the movies. I have had the halogen lights in the ceiling of my office removed, and there is no lamp in there either. And, if I am alone at home, I often won't turn on any lights there. The light from the TV in the living room is bright enough to allow me to cook in the kitchen.

Shopaholic1204
11-04-2010, 08:15 PM
I have to read my books & mags before anyone can borrow them. I always read the last chapter of a book first. I like to know if it will end horribly, so I can prepare myself.

I don't like to call people either. I ALWAYS text people, or send them a message on Twitter or FB. The only person I call is my husband. He usually has to make phone calls for me, so it really really sucks when he's deployed.

If a door is half open, I always slam it toward the wall, in case there is a clown, alien, or axe murderer hiding behind it. I also check behind the shower curtain in & out of the shower for the same reason. I also never close my eyes while washing my face. I'm afraid of finding one of those 3 standing behind me.

Speaking of clowns...if I ever see one, I will walk in the opposite direction. I will have a major panic attack if I walk by one, or if it looks at me.

luckymommy
11-04-2010, 08:24 PM
I have an obsession with not missing any calls. My hubby tells me this is why the answering machine was invented but I still HATE to miss a call....I have no idea why.

I am obsessed with not only being on time, but I like to get places way early. It's embarrassing! ;)

Oh, and did I mention I have a food obsession? ;) ;) ;)

krampus
11-04-2010, 08:24 PM
I hate honeycomb patterns and anything that is a series of small holes in a fairly evenly distributed pattern.

I have a kind of pathological fear of other people vomiting on airplanes. It's gotten better recently but I sit there during a flight and worry/stress that someone else is going to vomit.

Pint Sized Terror
11-04-2010, 08:32 PM
I hate when things are left open. Toothpaste, cabinet doors, front/back doors, books... I always close them.

I can't eat in dim or dark light.

I can't pee if I think someone might hear me. I practically have to give myself a pep talk to pee in a public restroom, even if I really really have to go.

Once I start reading a book, I have to finish it as soon as possible. I will read 300+ page books in 2 days, not skipping parts, not neglecting obligations. I just read fast. :D

Belly button lint freaks me the @#$%@^ out. My husband takes advantage of this occasionally. Once, he threw some into the tub while I was taking a bath. I jumped straight up out of the tub, screaming, and ended up standing on the rim of our tub, almost in tears, screaming at him to get it out. I had to drain the water and fight the urge to scrub out the tub before I finished. :mad:

People in animal/character costumes, like Mickey Mouse or Goofy scare me. If I can't see human shape under the costume, I'll walk a huge circle around them to avoid them.

I love rollercoasters and thrill rides, but watching fast moving movies gives me vertigo and makes me sick.

Ugly feet/toenails freak me out. So do overly long fingernails/toenails. I could never in a million years be a pedicurist.

My husband could probably name a million more. He says I'm a very quirky person, sometimes to the point I drive him nuts.

Oh! Hearing someone sing or play an instrument off-key, or seeing certain colors/patterns together causes me an almost physical reaction. I have honestly had to leave a room because of the color it was painted (dark, shiny red and neon pink stripes) because I was getting nauseous and irritated. There's a dark, pea-green that absolutely repulses me. Other times people, things or days I associate with color or sounds.

oodlesofnoodles
11-04-2010, 09:35 PM
HAHA your fiance is funny. That's toooo cute. My boyfriend sometimes brings the laptop in with him, I tell him it's flagged now lol.

Hmmmm. Well I make nonstop to do lists, and little notes for myself, or anything. I stick them to the door or in my pocket, and my boyfriend finds them eeeeeeeverywhere. Like today in class I folded a notecard in half and jotted down a TV show my teacher mentioned, my christmas list, a chart of my hunger/food intake, and some other random notes that make no sense to anyone but me. My boyfriend saw it and was like "wtf?"

Umm. I sleep with earplugs?

I love love love going to the movie theaters alone. I don't have to share my popcorn, or argue about a movie time, or wait for anyone. I just go. I bring a blanket and sneak in a drink and buy a small popcorn with no butter and go to town. The people that work there always look at me funny, especially with my fuzzy pink blanket.

EZMONEY
11-04-2010, 09:42 PM
If I don't put on my left sock first then right then left shoe first then right I swear I can't walk...

other than that nothing kooky....

kathrynk
11-04-2010, 09:57 PM
I have to hit the "lock" button the entire time from when I get out of my car until I get into my office (my actual office, not just my building). I just walk and click the "lock" button repeatedly until I set my keys on my desk.

I match my steps with the people I'm walking with, so our right feet go forward at the same time and so forth. If it's in a group of people I know well, I'll make everyone do it. If it's people who aren't so in tune with my nuttiness, I practically chew my own lip off to avoid saying something.

I'm also a grammar you-know-what, but mostly about specific things. I live in the Midwest, where we are notorious for ending sentences with prepositions. People say "Where are you at?" and I want to poke them in the eye. Another Midwest things is adding random R's into words where there are none. Instead of "washing" dishes, people "warsh" them. There's a town called Norfolk and people pronounce it "Norfork." It kills me.

I have to take a sip of whatever beverage I have with my food (meal, snack, anything) between each bite that I take. I also can't have a bite of the same food twice in a row, so if it's chicken, potatoes, and peas, it doesn't necessarily have to be a bite of chicken, drink, bite of peas, drink, bite of potatoes, repeat, I just can't have two bites of the same thing in a row.

I drive the extra long way (about 17 miles more) to my parents house to avoid having to drive on gravel roads.

And the worst one, in my opinion, is that I can't get out of bed unless the last digit on the clock is a 5.

Nola Celeste
11-04-2010, 09:59 PM
I have mild taste/word synesthesia. I literally taste words and names that I say, hear, or read. Fortunately it isn't triggered by all words, but it's frequent enough that dinner conversation can confuse my taste buds and brain a little.

It's why I will generally say "I apologize" (pickles) instead of "I'm sorry" (celery, yecch!) and prefer the name James (chocolate-covered cherries) to Jim (cottony and not quite clean, kind of like a mouthful of an athlete's t-shirt after a day's work). I would rather be "charming" (marshmallows) than "friendly" (cornflakes), but being "wicked" (waxy/sweet like fake candy lips) isn't so bad. :D

I love reading this thread! I kinda like the idea of going to a movie with only a pink fuzzy blanket for company. Going to have to try that one!

Kitsey
11-04-2010, 11:08 PM
Haha! That's hilarious! I thought I was the only one who had to be on someones right side when walking! I can't stand to have someone on my left side. I'm always moving myself to make sure I'm in the right spot.

I have to open all my mail, even junk mail that I know I am not going to read. Mail was meant to be opened and I must help it fulfill it's purpose.

I poke baked potatoes 7 times each. I used to poke them 6 times, but most often I'd be making them for 3 people, and I couldn't poke 6, 6, and another 6.

lizziep
11-05-2010, 01:33 AM
i'm a step counter- i used to count my steps to the bus stop every day and get really upset if it wasn't even in each square of the sidewalk.

i have a massive fear of vomit- not my own- but others. specifically every time i'm in a public restroom i'm afraid someone is going to puke while i'm in there. doctors offices. the bus. everywhere i'm looking at people and wondering if they're going to puke. i do not know why. sometimes it really interferes with my day.

i also have to eat in light! drives my hubby nuts he wants to eat dinner in the dark watching a movie or tv but it makes me batty! i gotta see it, what if i eat something gross by mistake? a bruised piece of fruit or a hunk of gristle- thanks, no!

oh man i have so many of them. i definitely think i have some ocd tendencies with the counting and obsessing. things should always be even. and they should be equal. like when i'm plating up dinner i get really obsessed about making things even between me and hubby. or patterns of how i do things like load the dishwasher, do chores, get ready in the morning. good to know we're all a little nuts!

also right now it's really bothering me that someone is saying Trebuchet with the T at the end. it really distracts me when i see a typo, grammar error, or hear someone say something wrong. sometimes i can't read an email if there are too many mistakes i'll just delete it.

Pint Sized Terror
11-05-2010, 01:55 AM
I'm also a grammar you-know-what, but mostly about specific things. I live in the Midwest, where we are notorious for ending sentences with prepositions. People say "Where are you at?" and I want to poke them in the eye. Another Midwest things is adding random R's into words where there are none. Instead of "washing" dishes, people "warsh" them. There's a town called Norfolk and people pronounce it "Norfork." It kills me.

I'm originally from the midwest (Indiana) and I STILL end sentences with prepositions. I cringe when I do it, but it's so ingrained that unless I'm thinking about NOT doing it, I do it. All of my family and hubby's family (from the same town) add in the extra R. I don't say worshing dishes, but I do catch myself saying worshcloth, LOL!!!

odonnela
11-05-2010, 06:41 AM
I hate it when my food touches the other food on my plate.

mkendrick
11-05-2010, 07:12 AM
Hahaha, you guys are all such WEIRDOS! How can you even function in daily life when you're all so odd....haha, jk jk.

Nola Celeste, that word/taste thing is like the weirdest thing I've ever heard, lol. I was reading that thinking "jeez...what a weirdo" (in the most loving way possible, of course, haha). BUT, I assign personalities to letters and numbers. I imagine the letter "B" to be a friendly jovial kind of fellow, while the letter "R" is a snooty rude older woman. The numbers 6, 7, 8, and 9 are all siblings. 9 is the bratty teenage sister, 8 is the diplomatic one that protects the younger ones, 7 is the mischevious snot nose brother, and 6 is the little sister. 10 is just a self-important a-hole.

So I can't judge, I'm weird too, haha.

GonnaTurnHeads
11-05-2010, 07:23 AM
I eat food toppings down, like - if i'm eating pizza, i will eat the pepperoni, then the cheese, then the bread.

If I am eating a meal that I did not cook myself, or do not regularly eat - I pick it apart and inspect it carefully, I absolutely have to know all of things that are in it so I don't get any surprises, so things like burritos where the food is mixed together and wrapped up is nerve wracking for me. I also smell a food before I eat it.

I cannot just sit down to watch tv or movies, I have to be doing something else. I will always have my laptop, notebook, phone... nearby to fiddle with while I watch things.

I write lists, almost obsessively and I have ever since I was a child. When I was a kid, I had notebooks full of lists like dog breeds I liked, names I would name the dog, etc... Now that I am older, I have lists of groceries, debt, things to do before I have kids, things to do before I die, things I want to put in the first house that I end up buying. I go through TONS of notebooks, too, because if I misspell something, align it wrong, or I don't like my handwriting, I have to scrap the whole work and start over fresh. It has to look PERFECT, and when I have things I want to add to a list, I have to start over fresh again because it has to be written with the same pen, in the same format....

I am also a bathroom multi-tasker. I will do my nails, while I swish mouthwash, while I let my facial mask set, while I am on the toilet. HaHa :)

DH also brings his laptop to the bathroom with him. He also will bring his beer into the shower. He doesn't want to slow down to finish drinking it before showering....

Although one thing I never expected and was surprised to learn when we moved in - brace yourself - he CHEWS HIS TOENAILS. Yup. Brings his foot to his mouth, bites of his toenails then chews them. It is, by far, the most disgusting habit I have ever seen. Who says love can't conquer all? ;)

Rochester
11-05-2010, 10:17 AM
:rofl: I think this is my favorite 3FC thread ever!

I write lists, almost obsessively and I have ever since I was a child. When I was a kid, I had notebooks full of lists like dog breeds I liked, names I would name the dog, etc... Now that I am older, I have lists of groceries, debt, things to do before I have kids, things to do before I die, things I want to put in the first house that I end up buying. I go through TONS of notebooks, too, because if I misspell something, align it wrong, or I don't like my handwriting, I have to scrap the whole work and start over fresh. It has to look PERFECT, and when I have things I want to add to a list, I have to start over fresh again because it has to be written with the same pen, in the same format....

This. Precisely, word for word. :) I also have to make a To Do for the next day before I go to bed. And if I do something that wasn't on the To Do list, I add it (after the fact) and cross it off.

I find it almost impossible to concentrate while watching a movie or TV show unless the room is completely silent. If there's a ticking clock anywhere in the house, that's all I can hear. If there's a person chewing popcorn four rows behind me in the movie theater, I miss half the movie.

I cannot lock a lock unless the key for it is in my hand. When leaving my house, I have to check multiple times to make sure that (a) the knob is locked and (b) the keys are safely in my hand, not somewhere inside.

I have a huge issue with texture. I cannot eat certain foods because of the way they feel. I often choose my outfit for the day based on how I feel about the fabrics, not whether the pieces match or if the outfit is appropriate for what I am doing for the day.

I absolutely cannot do a jigsaw puzzle. Those 8 pieces puzzles designed for children 4 and under? Can't do them. Not even if you held a gun to my head.

I don't like odd numbers.

I'm terrified of clowns and mimes.

And, like many of you, I'm a bit obsessive about grammar and spelling.

:dizzy:

stargzr
11-05-2010, 10:44 AM
Anything I chew has to be done on both sides of my mouth. If I have two m&ms, I chew one on the left and one on the right. If I only have one, I bite it in half and one part goes left, one part goes right.

I HATE hearing other people chew. I swear my husband is the loudest chewer I know. When he eats something soft, like a banana, I can't sit next to him. I can hear his teeth clacking and it grosses me out.

When I start a good book, I finish it super fast. It's not that I want to or have the time to, but I can't wait to find out what happens! lol I've been known to read 600+ page books in 1 or 2 days. Then when I finish it, I read it all over again. I also have to read it before I lend it out (same goes for magazines, etc).

If we buy a new movie that we haven't seen before, I have to watch it twice (usually once the day we get it and then again the next day). I always think there's something I missed, so I have to make sure.

I hate when people sit next to me in the movie theatre. I actually put stuff on the chair next to me now (unless the theatre is packed of course) so nobody sits there. It drives me nuts.

I read EVERYTHING. Billboards, signs, etc. I can't help it, if I see it - I have to read it. Then it's like a game in my head to memorize it, especially license plate numbers.

My alarm goes off at the same time every day and I never change it. But, I have to check it to make sure it says the correct alarm time every night *before* I turn it on.

ADelish
11-05-2010, 10:50 AM
I count the steps as I walk down them. Even if I've walked them dozens of times, I have to count them!

PlaygroundLove
11-05-2010, 05:47 PM
I absolutely cannot fall asleep if I feel like my hair is dirty. By extension, I will never really be able to enjoy camping.

I spell words backwards in my head ALL. THE. TIME. I've gotten freakishly fast at it (y-l-h-s-i-k-a-e-r-f). It's usually only longer words, too--spelling "its" backwards just isn't as gratifying.

If I'm holding paper for a prolonged period of time, I subconsciously start tearing at the edges 'til it has a fringe all the way around.

Oh, and TMI- I refuse to date (or even really consider dating) anyone whose name I wouldn't want to yell in bed. To the Randolphs and Eugenes of the world: I think we should just be friends.

suetalks
11-05-2010, 06:19 PM
If I am a passenger in a car I am always counting something: white lines, signs, cars, anything. I have to force myself to look away from things to stop counting. Walking I count steps or even the swing of my arms. Again I can forcibly stop, but it is hard.

I count food on my plate and have some strange ways to do it. If I have 5 items, chips for instance and 2 are small I push them to the side, that leaves 3 large..so I break one to have 2 more small. Can't be odd. Gosh that sounds way crazy to type...lol.

lizziep
11-05-2010, 06:47 PM
hahaha we have an m&m jar here at work and it's so amusing to see everyone's different ways of eating them. i break them up by colors, then if there's anything uneven i'll eat the odd ones out first- that way i'll have like 3 or 4 of whatever color. then i have to eat the ugly colors first. i always eat blue or green last. orange and yellow go first.

others line them all up by color and do one color at a time... or one of each color at a time. guess we're all a little nuts.

now if someone would just stop filling the damned jar! :)

Pint Sized Terror
11-05-2010, 07:41 PM
Oh, and TMI- I refuse to date (or even really consider dating) anyone whose name I wouldn't want to yell in bed. To the Randolphs and Eugenes of the world: I think we should just be friends.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Ciao
11-05-2010, 07:58 PM
Hmm. I wonder what other ones I have.

All the doors in the house have to be
shut. I don't mind if anyone leaves the
toilet seat up, but if you do not shut
the door once you leave the room... OH NO.

I have to listen to music or watch TV
before I go to sleep. If I don't listen to
something before going to bed, I'll be
up for hours staring at the ceiling.

The DVD cases have to have the title
facing on the outside when they're stacked
on the shelves beside each other. If a DVD
case is facing the wrong side, I'll feel uneasy.

When writing on a whiteboard (we have to
do this a lot in my chemistry class) the
writing cannot be messed up. If someone
accidentally erases a bit of the marker away
on the whiteboard, I will erase that whole
section and do it all over again.

When driving on the highway I have to be
in the middle lane of a three-lane highway.
I don't like being on the right because of the
merging traffic, and I don't like being on the
left because I know it's the fast lane and
people are always going super fast.
If it's a two-lane road I always have to
be on the left.

Nola Celeste
11-05-2010, 07:59 PM
The word/taste thing really is pretty weird, I admit, but at least there's a name for it--so at least I'm not the only one! There are a lot of different types of synesthesia; I think the most common type is associating numbers with colors. That would be so much more useful than tasting words--I could finally remember phone numbers if they were "red blue blue green green yellow pink." :D

odonnela, I am soooo with you on the food-not-touching thing! My husband actually bought me a couple of plastic cafeteria-style lunch trays as kind of a joke gift--"Now your food will never touch, sweetie!"--but the joke was on him because I happily used those suckers! No more pea juice on my potatoes, no more tomato sauce on my spinach, YAY!

I also hate loud chewing. People who actually smack their food with mouths open (and I've met a few) make me want to flee the table (or smack 'em on the back of the head with a rolled-up newspaper, but that would just be antisocial).

Pint Sized Terror
11-05-2010, 08:01 PM
LOL!! These are too funny!

Stargzr, I read everything too. If we get a new car, I will ride passenger so I can read the manual, and I will read it cover to cover. Cereal boxes, nutrition labels, random signs, other people's clothing or jewelry... if it has words it MUST be read. I can't help it. My grandma used to tease me a little because I would sit and read the cereal box, all 6 sides, even though I'd read it every day before. My husband thinks it's pretty cool, because I end up with a ton of random knowledge. I think I'm afraid I'll miss something important!

I often sort my food too. I sort by color, size, consistency or food item. I always eat my least favorite of anything first and save my favorites for last.

I have a compulsion of buying 2 of everything. It's something I have to CONSCIOUSLY avoid doing at the grocery store, because even if it says ONE on my list, I'll pick up 2. Sometimes I'll get up to the counter and realize I have 2 of almost everything. :o

I've been obsessed with the numbers 2 and 3 since I was a little kid. Everything has to be symmetrical, and 2 or 3 of something can be the easiest to balance. I prefer 3, unless I'm shopping because I'll avoid buying 3 of something if I can. :dizzy: I often consider having another kid just to make it an "even" 3, since for some reason that's how I feel it "should" be.

I haaaaate when someone tells me to "be safe" when I'm going somewhere. It's like, "What? Why?! Why would you tell me that?!?!"

Ciao
11-05-2010, 08:08 PM
I haaaaate when someone tells me to "be safe" when I'm going somewhere. It's like, "What? Why?! Why would you tell me that?!?!"

Oh my goodness, me too!

I also hate the words:
- Legit
- Epic
- Slice *shudders*

I love the words:
- Bubbly
- Groovy
- Giggle

I also use my hands while talking. :lol:
I express everything I say using my hands.

Ciao
11-05-2010, 08:14 PM
Oh, and something else.
I always happen to look at the
clock at EXACTLY 9:11.

Does this ever happen to anyone
else? And then I get all: :fr:

mandalinn82
11-05-2010, 08:18 PM
Stargzr, I read everything too. If we get a new car, I will ride passenger so I can read the manual, and I will read it cover to cover. Cereal boxes, nutrition labels, random signs, other people's clothing or jewelry... if it has words it MUST be read. I can't help it. My grandma used to tease me a little because I would sit and read the cereal box, all 6 sides, even though I'd read it every day before. My husband thinks it's pretty cool, because I end up with a ton of random knowledge. I think I'm afraid I'll miss something important!

We must be twins. Except my wife (though she respects my encyclopedic knowledge of random things) finds my reading habit sort of annoying, because it distracts me from other things, like, oh, her talking. Also I almost always win bets on facts. But I have picked up a LOT of random, esoteric knowledge, and it does come in handy sometimes.

Also, if I read something, I almost always remember it - not in a photographic way, just in general. This allowed me to skip all of my classes in college, because I do NOT learn well from people talking at me, and in fact, get horribly confused and do worse on tests if I attend lectures and read the book/lecture notes than if I only read the book. So this has only helped to accumulate the encyclopedic knowledge. I can recite poems I learned in 10th grade, including "The Ballad of Sam McGee" in its entirety, and several other monologues from drama class.
I don't have to read song lyrics to memorize them. They just stick in my head regardless. And it makes me crazy when someone singing along says the wrong lyric (um, yeah, another thing the wife is not so fond of). 2-3 listens and I have the lyrics down.

Every time I attend a Broadway-style musical, I cry when the curtain goes up. I can't help myself. It's kind of embarrassing, particularly when the musical in question is "Legally Blonde: The Musical" and the opening number is called "Omigod You Guys". If I really emotionally connect to the musical, I cry through the entire first act and most of the second (See Wicked, LA, 2007, see also Rent, original Broadway cast, 2010). I'm seeing In the Heights tomorrow, and just started crying thinking about it, right now. I'm deeply touched by live theater. I can't help it. Related, I can sing in entirety probably around 20 musicals...start to finish. Every one I've ever been in, and a few more I've listened to on repeat.

I also have an issue with hearing people eat. It's enough to make me leave the room. It doesn't bother me if I'm eating also. I'm trying to work on it.

mandalinn82
11-05-2010, 08:19 PM
Oh, and something else.

else. And then I get all:

Mine is 10:13. But it used to creep me out.

suetalks
11-05-2010, 08:30 PM
Oh my gosh..mine is 11:11......

I also read everything and have come up with scores of "useless" facts. Do well on certain categories of Jeopardy.

ohmai
11-05-2010, 08:49 PM
If I am a passenger in a car I am always counting something: white lines, signs, cars, anything. I have to force myself to look away from things to stop counting. Walking I count steps or even the swing of my arms. Again I can forcibly stop, but it is hard.

I count food on my plate and have some strange ways to do it. If I have 5 items, chips for instance and 2 are small I push them to the side, that leaves 3 large..so I break one to have 2 more small. Can't be odd. Gosh that sounds way crazy to type...lol.

My son (11) does this. He always has and it drives me nuts. He counts lines, signs, cars, fence posts. When we're out, he counts stairs, chairs, tables. Know how many chairs are in each theatre room at the movies? He does. For both theatres in town.

He does the food thing as well. The off sized items or items that break up his pairs or patterns will slowly be shifted off of the plate. This drives me nuts too. Dinner time is a very long event at our house.

oodlesofnoodles
11-05-2010, 09:16 PM
Oh, and something else.
clock[/COL at EXACTLY 9:11.

else? And then I get all: :fr:

ME TOO! I swear, it's the FREAKIEST thing. Maybe it's just I notice more because 9:11 is a "special" number... but you're not alone sister lol.

I also hate loud chewing. People who actually smack their food with mouths open (and I've met a few) make me want to flee the table (or smack 'em on the back of the head with a rolled-up newspaper, but that would just be antisocial).

This. Disgusts. Me. EWEWEWEWEW it just screams bad manners. To me, it's right in line with picking your nose/butt/ear, or ripping *** in public. Just don't do it.

Magrat
11-05-2010, 09:22 PM
:

I absolutely cannot do a jigsaw puzzle. Those 8 pieces puzzles designed for children 4 and under? Can't do them. Not even if you held a gun to my head.
:dizzy:

I can't do jigzaw puzzles either. Never could. Can't do word puzzles like crosswords or acrostics either. On the other hand I'm an absolute whiz at trivia. Jeopardy was my favorite game show and nobody I know will play trivia games with me because I always always win.

I have an extremely retentive memory going back to my earliest years. I can remember standing up in my crib watching my parents strip wallpaper (big pink roses on a cream-colored background) when I was one. Heck I can remember learning how to walk.

I learned to read when I was four and have been a compulsive reader ever since. By the time I was in the third grade I had read my way through the entire children's section of the local branch library and got special permission from the librarians to start in on the adult section. By sixth grade I had read
most of those as well.

I hate it when people talk with their mouths full or chew with their mouths open. I am grossed out when people drool but a dog drooling doesn't bother me at all.

I am a stickler for historical accuracy in movies or t.v. shows. One of my biggest peeves when watching anything that takes place in another era is everything being too clean. Seeing spotless medieval castles or pristine Western towns drives me bonkers and spoils the movie for me. I liked "Road To Wellville" because the city streets were filthy, as they should have been in an early twentieth century town where horses still provided much of the transportation.

I can't stand eating fat on meat or visible grease. When I ate pizza I always blotted each slice six times to get every bit of grease off.

I will never ever ever get on a plane.

Pint Sized Terror
11-05-2010, 09:38 PM
Oh, and something else.

I almost put that on mine, but I was afraid people would think it was... too weird I guess, LOL. It's always something:23, or 11:11, 12:12, etc. I think it's always because repeating numbers, even on my odometer, catch my eye. Numbers in general are another one of those things that hold my attention like reading, especially if they are in sequential order, 123 or 246 etc. Or if they have repeating numbers or similarly shaped numbers like 6 and 8, or 7 and 1.

I know I have ADD and a LOT of quirks. It was enough that I took a test to determine likelihood of autism and I scored 31. The average score by people diagnosed with mild asbergers is 32, and normal is 17. Soooo I guess all in all my quirks are my norm. ;)

Also, yeah, my husband gets a bit pissy when I get distracted by reading. Especially because I'll completely tune out. A meteor could land in front of me, explode into billions of little green men who take over the world, and I'll be totally engrossed in the coffee menu.

birdtostone
11-06-2010, 12:00 AM
I MUST make it to the microwave before the buzzer goes off. It freaks me out if I don't.

I cannot have a remote control pointing at me. The end that you point at the television must be pointing away from me and if I find someone pointing it at me I get really anxiety ridden. I will subtly move a remote facing away from myself (and other people and/or animals). I don't tell too many people because it usually ends up that they point the remote at me and click the buttons because they think it's funny. :/

I eat all of the topping off my pizza before I eat the crust.

I have to lock the doors when I get into my truck. I have visions of Michael Myers appearing at my car window. I also check the back seat. ALWAYS. I'm not horror movie victim. LOL.

I also lock almost every door I close, no matter if it's in the house, car, etc. It's more habit than anything. Sometimes I'll walk into the house and have someone coming in a minute or two behind me and I'll lock it (without realizing it) and people get irritated.

On any kind of writing board (dry erase, chalk, or even paper) it drives me nuts when someone does a terrible job of erasing and leaves small smudges and marks behind.

I can't stand it when people set things in seats. By all means, clutter up the counter space and I don't mind moving it around, but DON'T set things in seats where people could be sitting.

Other people's messy homes drive me crazy. I just want to clean it all up when I go over. (The obvious things, not like OH LOOK! A spec of dust or a dirty child's toy) I think I would be quite a good maid. LOL. Seeing as I haven't owned my own home yet, I don't know if that correlates to my own house cleanliness.

I enjoy the smell of skunk. Apparently I inherited this from my Oma.

I cannot step on the "cracks". That old child's limerick "step on a crack, break you mother's back!" robbed me of my walking innocence. I am guilt ridden when I step on cracks. LOL.

lauralyn
11-06-2010, 07:39 AM
If I am watching tv and I need to turn the volume up or down it needs to be on an even number or if it is bars that show the volume on the screen I need to count them to make sure they are even. The same goes for listening to the radio.

I will drive out of my driveway and have to turn around and go back to check that the coffee pot, stove and my hair straightener are all unplugged. If anything even slightly distracts me from checking these things such as my cell phone ringing, the kids talking etc I will have to turn around and check again, otherwise I worry the whole time I am gone.

If for example I tap my right foot a certain number of times I need to tap my left the exact same way and to the same rhythm. The same goes with my fingers.

There are lots more but I am drawing a blank right now.

Serval87
11-06-2010, 02:55 PM
I'm a grammar **** too. (Weird that it would edit it out. It's the name of my parents' German Shepard, so I'm used to hearing/saying it all the time).

That is the least weirdest thing about me, though. :(

I am overly sensitive to certain noises, like that of paper being folded, and someone's nails grazing paper or paper-like materials. The noises of Styrofoam and cardboard also freaks me out. I can't be around someone opening a box or folding paper. Even if I imagine it, it still makes me shudder and gives me chills. I try to keep this from people, because I know what will happen. They will do it on purpose just to laugh at me even though it physically causes me discomfort.

Sometimes if I look at something (even if it's disgusting or inedible) my mind will start to imagine what it would taste like, how the texture would be in my mouth ect. This happens a lot when I'm cleaning something gross, like a litter box. It literally makes me feel sick. But other times, like at the grocery store, it makes me hungry.

I also read in the bathroom. I used to take my laptop too, but since we are toilet training our cat, I don't enjoy being in there so much anymore.

I also feel nervous if I have to call someone on the phone, especially someone I have never talked to, or someone that I know/think might be angry with me.

Ever since I was little, I've always done this weird thing with my hands and fingers when in deep thought. It sort of consists of twisting my fingers around, or folding and stretching out my fingers, or furling and unfurling my fists, but it's a little more complicated than that. Anyway, I do this a lot when I daydream, read, and write. I will actually pause while typing a story, and do this. I don't like people seeing it, so I get a little embarrassed if someone walks into the room while I'm doing it. It's like I can't picture what I'm writing/reading without doing this. Sometimes a slight purring noise will accompany this.

If I'm not constantly singing aloud, then I will run songs through my head, even to the point of accidentally ignoring someone. Also, if I'm singing aloud I have to get to a certain part of the song before I can stop.

I have the habit of saying 'meow'. It's rubbed off, because my husband does this too. lol.

I am visual, and can remember detailed images of what places look like, even if they are places my mind has made up while reading or thinking of a story.

I also have the habit of starting a video game or book, and then completely abandoning it. Sometimes I will pick it back up later, sometimes I won't.

I sometimes sniff my food before eating it. It used to be a lot worse. lol.

I feel like I need to always multitask. When I'm watching television I like to also use the laptop or flip through a magazine. You should see how many tabs I have up at one time on the internet. lol.

Oh, yeah. I'm also a hypochondriac. I will scour websites about disease symptoms for hours on end! I will obsess over it until I literally make myself sick, cry, or super stressed out.

I have the habit of tearing skin off the sides of my fingers. It's gross and it hurts, but I just can't stop.

I HATE public restrooms. Gross. I will hold it as long as I have to just so I don't have to go. If I do (like when we were on greyhound) I bring sanitary wipes and wipe the seat and under the seat before using it. Even then, I still am afraid of getting a disease.

If I'm laughing really hysterically I will squeak. lol. I also sometimes snort when I laugh. That's embarrassing.

lizziep
11-06-2010, 05:25 PM
i stick my tongue out when using scissors- always, and i usually sort of chew on it in the same rythm as i am cutting. weirdo!

i am a compuslive magazine theif. if someone leaves a magazine in the breakroom at work- i snatch it up. it could be almost anything and i'd take it. i have to control myself not to take them home with me.

i can do word puzzles all day long but numbers swirl in front of my eyes and i swear they are laughing at me.

i also find the smell of skunk to be quite pleasant. same with gasoline.

i absolutely cannot stand touching towels out of the dryer, cardboard boxes, and i can't even abide by someone else touching styraphom. just got a spine chill of heebies and jeebies thinking about it!

JennyT
11-06-2010, 07:56 PM
ok I will chime in with my quirks too...

I can not sleep with my closet door open, if I know its open I will obsess over it until its closed...I also make sure my kids closets doors, linen closet, coat closet doors are closed too.

I have to sleep with the window up even in the dead of winter or I feel claustrophobic, same with I can't have sheets tucked into the bottom of the bed or I feel like I am in a coffin.

I can't walk up the stairs slowly in the dark, I have to run up them because I feel like someone is going to come behind me and chase me up them.

I hate hate hate calling people I don't know, or even know just a tiny bit, I have huge anxieties around it which impacts my job at times.

I blush all the time, even as a grown woman!! And when I feel myself start to blush, then it gets worse, I can't stop it, I hate it so much.

I have to walk with people on my left side (on their right) or I feel very out of place.

I can't sleep if I don't know what time it is. I have to be able to get up and check the clock in the middle of the night.

I am a light turner-offer. Drives my husband nuts, I follow him and turn off lights behind him even if he is coming right back into the room.

I have to check the mail everyday or it bugs me.

If I spill salt I have to throw some over my shoulder and I am NOT superstitous lol

Thats about it, not too bad of a list ;) I am sure if you asked my husband there would be a lot more to add to this lol

Serval87
11-07-2010, 11:58 AM
i also find the smell of skunk to be quite pleasant. same with gasoline.

i absolutely cannot stand touching towels out of the dryer, cardboard boxes, and i can't even abide by someone else touching styraphom. just got a spine chill of heebies and jeebies thinking about it!

I'm the same way with the smell of gasoline. My husband thinks it's really weird. I also can't stand touching certain fabrics like velvet, and can't touch paper after I have washed my hands.

tiffany0809
11-07-2010, 01:05 PM
I also count stairs and am obsessed with closing things, like cabinet doors, making sure lids are on tight, etc.

I also can't shower with the toilet seat up. I think that's because I dropped something in the toilet once but now I get anxiety if I'm in the shower and I know the toilet seat is up.

lauralyn
11-07-2010, 02:07 PM
Oh I LOVE the smell of gasoline also! I joke with my husband and tell him my dream job would to work at a gas station pumping gas LOL

CandyCoatedSymphony
11-07-2010, 03:46 PM
One weird thing I do is I have to have the kitchen completely clean before I can sit down & eat my meal. While I'm cooking I'll clean every single dish & utensil I use. I've burned food before doing this b/c I was so concerned about making sure the dishes were clean, I wasn't paying attention to what was on the stove!! LOL. So when I'm all done cooking and the kitchen is back to where it was before I started cooking (nice & clean), thats when I can sit down to eat. :)

I don't know why I'm like this because I'm not some crazy clean freak. My house is for the most part clean, but if its a little out of sorts it doesn't bother me. I think maybe it has to do with when I was young (& still to this day) when my mom cooks she makes a HUGE mess. She uses a million pots and pans, things are all over the counter and floor, dishes are piled up, and this drives me CRAZY! I just don't get why she can't just cook in a neat and orderly fashion? AND she never cleans up afterwards. That mess will sit there for hours & her fiance never helps & I can't STAND looking at that big mess, so I usually end up cleaning it all. :dizzy:

I guess we ALL have our "things". :p

rainbowstripe
11-07-2010, 08:59 PM
I actually really enjoyed reading this haha! Makes me feel like perhaps I'm not so weird after all :P

I'm coming up almost blank trying to think of my quirks, but I get called weird so often by my boyfriend, sister, parents, cousins etc that there must be somethings?

A recent one is that I freak out every time I'm leaving my boyfriend's to go to my parents place that I've left the switch on where my hair straightener and dryer are plugged in. I leave them plugged in but always turn off the switch except for one time I didn't and worried so much about it - now I worry every time! It's because his house has old wiring and I'm worried I'll be the one that burns down the house!

I always, ALWAYS think people are looking at me. If I'm at work and have to go to the post office or to go buy something, walking down the street and across the crossing, I am very aware of how I'm walking, what I'm wearing, what my face looks like - because I'm sure that everyone is staring at me.

I'm with mandalinn on the crying before musical theater, except for me it's movies that I'm really excited to see. Like the Harry Potter films. Even the trailers have me so ridiculously excited that I'll get teary eyed. It's more excited tears haha.

I have an irrational fear of the seedy part of a tomato. I once threw away a whole subway sandwich (wasteful, I know) because there were seeds on the wrapper. Ridiculous. That being said, I do eat tomatoes in things like spaghetti sauce or other sauces.

I am also terrified of being alone with children. I have no idea what to say to them or how to treat them - how I ever used to babysit / get paid to read books to children in a mall is BEYOND me - I think this is a problem that has increased as I've gotten older. I have no desire to hold anyone's babies, I don't want them near me to be honest. I don't hate or dislike them or anything, they just freak me out!

I pretty much can't see a small cute animal without making some sort of squealing or whining noise (I love them). Even if I'm alone in my car and I see one out the window, I'll make a noise or say "puppyyyyy" in a high voice. I also call most small dogs or even medium sized dogs puppies irregardless of age.

I probably speak more nonsense/make more non-word sounds to my boyfriend than I do actually speak to him in English. I love making sounds and I guess it's for this reason that most of his nicknames for me are animal related since I make sounds so regularly! Don't worry - we do have normal conversations as well.

I am also pedantic with grammar/spelling. Moreso on the spelling. I get frustrated if I receive emails or text messages with spelling errors. I correct people if I think I can do it without offending them.

On the same note as above, I REFUSE to use "text language". A girl I work with was complaining how non-tech-savvy her dad is because he types out full words when he sends her a text message. In my head I was just thinking that that is EXACTLY what I do. I will even send multiple messages if I have to just to avoid shortening words into text language. Hah.

Ok! I can't really think of anything else. I'm sure there are many, many more but other people would have to tell me about them.

katkitten
11-08-2010, 11:35 PM
this really IS a great thread! It makes me feel less alone in my wierdness :)

I'm a list maker too. I always have to be ridiculously early to appointments and, when I get there, I sit in the car and make my lists until it is time to go in. I make to-do lists and shopping lists but mainly I make weight loss lists. For some reason, this weight loss list must be done at the start of every day. It uses that morning's weight as a springboard for projections months from now.
example: weight this morning=209. On 11/15 I'll be 207. on 11/22 I'll be 205. And I will go week to week all the way until next summer with my projections. Then I will go back through and add in little rewards at certain weights and write what size of clothes I expect to be wearing at each weight. The lists from day to day are practically identical but I still have to do it.

I also have a thing for multiples of three. If there is something I am anxious about or something that I don't know or can't predict I will ask the question in my head and then look around for a word written on a sign or piece of paper. If the number of letters in the word is a multiple of 3 that means the answer is "yes". example: will my cat hack up a hairball today? the1st word I see is "purple" therefore the answer is "yes" lol I have never admitted that to anyone before. *blush*
I also have to check that my alarm clock is set right several times before I can go to sleep.
I will go out of my way to not make a left hand turn at an intersection that does not have green arrows.
I'm sure there is more but that is all I can think of right now.

LindseyLou
11-08-2010, 11:59 PM
I plan way too much. I make lists for the day/week of things I need to do and in what order I need to complete them.

I'm a clean freak! After my husband comes home from work I usually follow him around to pick up his shirt he threw on the floor and move the shoes he just took off.

I straighten everything up. If it's slightly out of place, I fix it...even at other places (business or family member's homes). i.e. business cards crooked at a desk I just walked up to. Drives me nuts! Fix your cards and make them look nice and neat!

Misspelled words and misused words bother me. I have been known to take a pen out and correct things. I correct people's grammar when they are talking.

I hate when things are left open. Cabinets, doors, books.

I don't like clutter. I'm very picky about what gets left out.

Ugly toenails/fingernails freak me out, that goes for overly long fingernails/toenails.

I always think people are looking at me. I am very aware of how I'm walking in public, what I'm wearing, what my face looks like - because I'm sure that everyone is staring at me.

I often ask my husband after I just watched him lock the door, "did you remember to lock the door?" I'm always worried it's not locked or I left my curling iron or the oven on. A little OCD? :lol:

Pint Sized Terror
11-09-2010, 08:41 AM
I will go out of my way to not make a left hand turn at an intersection that does not have green arrows.

At the end of April I was in a car accident. I was turning left on a green arrow and someone ran the light. I have trouble making any left hand turn at multiple-lane intersections now. Sometimes I can still smell the airbag dust and burning car fluids, all these months later.:o

lizziep
11-09-2010, 02:54 PM
i used to have the same problem with children- still don't know what to say or do with like a 7 year old, but I have a baby niece now and that's starting to help a bit. I even watched her for like 6 hours one day and didn't die.

when i was little, and i'm a bit better about it now then i was, i was absolutely terrified of elderly people. when i met my great grandmother when i was 6 i hid behind my mother and cried. there's this thought in the back of my mind that they are going to die and i'll be the only one there and i'll be blamed for it. totally irrational, but one that's stuck with me since i was a tiny kid.

whenever i eat food i haven't prepared myself- or chicken that i have prepared myself- i am in a tense silent panic for the next three hours waiting to see if i'll get food poisoning. i have never had food poisoning in my life and have no reason at all for this fear. but i read once it takes three hours for it to set in and i just can't relax until those three hours are over.

RoseRodent
11-09-2010, 03:36 PM
Hmm, a combination of only letting people walk on one side of you and being scared of using the phone to strangers makes me wonder if you hear properly? I have both of those quirks and it's because I have a hearing impairment.

Didn't quite get to the bottom of the thread so hopefully not too much repetition.

There is a show on in the UK at the moment called "Freak Like Me" which features things like collections of dead bees and people who collect their *ahem* personal gas for use in a cannon.

Me, I have to have everything straight, like if I throw down a TV remote it must be in line with the edge of the table. I read everything, even if I've read it before. Four times a day every day for 5 years going to school I read the same safety notice on the bus because I can't have words in front of me without reading them, even though I know what it says! When I used to walk (before wheelchair) I would swing my right arm but not the left. I lock my car three times every time I get out. There's got to be hundreds more that I don't remember right now.

I'd swap for a husband who can multi-task, mine can't do it at ALL. He can't listen while he's chopping vegetables, he can't start a new task while he's got one already on the go, everything takes ages! I once was doing some DIY and a clap failed, leaving me holding a lot of weight, so I shouted for him to "bring me a hammer, now, now, RUN" and he was up a full 7 minutes later! His strangest habit is being able to have an entirely in context conversation in his sleep, not just talking in his sleep but he can follow what I am saying and answer, but he's completely asleep, doesn't remember it when you wake him, and is snoring in between!

chickybird
11-09-2010, 03:51 PM
I think of words as having a taste, too! I'm glad I'm not the only one.
I have to "knock on wood" if I or someone else says something bad that could potentially happen.
I HATE the sound of teeth scraping on a fork or spoon, like when people scrape food off of a fork with their teeth.
I don't like to iron, because I have a stupid fear of tripping over the cord of the iron and having the hot iron land on my face...yup. Pretty dumb!

MindiV
11-09-2010, 03:56 PM
I love the dirty smell of potatoes. I'll eat onions cooked but never raw. I can't stand to drive with the windows down because the wind blows my hair into my face. I'm also terrified of elderly people to the point where I won't go into a nursing home even when my job requires it - I send someone else. Oh, and the thought of losing teeth or having dentures scares me to death. I have nightmares over this...

Pint Sized Terror
11-09-2010, 04:05 PM
I feel really bad about this, but yeah, dentures terrify me too. My brother in law has dentures because of a medication his mother took while she was pregnant with him (It prevented his adult teeth from forming proper enamel) and they scare the @#% out of me. My uncles used to scare me with theirs too, so this is a lifelong thing. My BIL will stick them out at me at the table and I swear I feel myself turning into quivering, grossed out pile of goo.

sarahyu
11-09-2010, 04:20 PM
I live in the Midwest, where we are notorious for ending sentences with prepositions. People say "Where are you at?" and I want to poke them in the eye. Another Midwest things is adding random R's into words where there are none. Instead of "washing" dishes, people "warsh" them. There's a town called Norfolk and people pronounce it "Norfork." It kills me.

Hmmm. but how do you pronouce Norfork?

being from the midwest myself orginally, what about how anything ending in "i" is pronouced as "a" Missouri is Missoura, Hawaii and Hawaia. My mom was talking to me on the phone once and I sort of zoned out for a minute and I heard her say "How are ya" and I said fine. Mom was like ??? she had said she wanted to go to Hawaii. Oops.

I can't handle loud noises. If I hear a loud buzzer, smoke alarm or something I just want to curl up into a fetal position with my fingers in my ears until it's over.

CanadianCutie
11-09-2010, 04:56 PM
This thread is great.
I saw mention above of eating foods from the top down. I don't quite do this, but something similar. If I'm having a hot sandwich (like corned beef on rye grilled, or one of the sandwiches from Dominos) I open it up, and will eat the insides first, and the bread last. My boyfriend thinks I'm a freak, and I don't do this in public, but I do at home. Oddly I don't do this with chicken clubs, or hamburgers.
I associate feelings with colors, and not the usual "feeling blue" or yellow being happy, or red angry. I don't quite know to describe it, but certain things feel like a color, and it's not always the same color.
I also absolutely hate socks. I only wear them if I have to. I'd rather wear shoes, and I used to always go barefoot (as my mom does as much as possible), but now I can't stand that.
I hate, hate, hate when someone says "save me a bite" when you offer them a taste of something. I want the last bite for myself, I don't want to give it to another person.
I also hate floral patterns. I think it's cause my mom has had floral patterns on the couches all the time I've been growing up. I just can't stand them. Give me something solid, or striped, or geometric print. I've never been one for flowers at all. I don't mind them out in the garden, but cut flowers seem so wasteful to me, unless they're from your own garden.

Serval87
11-09-2010, 10:09 PM
I probably speak more nonsense/make more non-word sounds to my boyfriend than I do actually speak to him in English. I love making sounds and I guess it's for this reason that most of his nicknames for me are animal related since I make sounds so regularly! Don't worry - we do have normal conversations as well.

Oh wow, I completely forgot to mention that! It's actually kind of embarrassing. I make up words/sounds all the time, or I shout words that have nothing to do with what's going on (like clues or sues). I guess it's more about sound. This really contradicts me since I am nuts about correct grammar.

Oh, I may have mentioned this already, but someone's post reminded me of this (Gosh, I'm starting to think I'm more quirky than normal!), but I absolutely hate socks and shoes. I will usually wear flip flops the entire year. I've even worn them in the snow (I had toe socks on, though). I just don't really like things on my feet. It makes them too warm, or something. I'm also kind of like that with my legs, and unless it's really cold, will usually wear shorts year round too.