General Diet Plans and Questions - Intuitive Eating #13

Pages : [1] 2 3

View Full Version : Intuitive Eating #13

carolr3639
11-04-2010, 02:37 PM
On to IE #13. Eat when you are hungry, stop when satisfied.

carolr3639
11-04-2010, 02:38 PM
Went to the dr. today. I've been so tired lately and I have gout again. He said to try a little more bp meds.

TamTam
11-05-2010, 11:38 AM
On to IE #13. Eat when you are hungry, stop when satisfied.

And eat what you wand and enjoy EACH bite.

TamTam
11-05-2010, 11:39 AM
Went to the dr. today. I've been so tired lately and I have gout again. He said to try a little more bp meds.

Sorry to hear that the gout is back. I have never had it and hope to never have it, but I understand it can be quite painful. HOpe it gets better. Have a blessed day. Tammy:)

carolr3639
11-05-2010, 01:15 PM
Hi Tammy. The gout hurts but this tiredness and weakness is far worse.

TamTam
11-05-2010, 02:52 PM
Is the tiredness and weakness caused by the gout? I know they usually put you on a special diet and if I remember correctly you don't get to eat that much of a variety of foods, but I could be wrong.

TamTam
11-05-2010, 02:54 PM
Well for hubby's birthday I got him a turkey fryer that does not use oil, it uses infra red heat, we are going to try it with a chicken this weekend, we love fried turkey, but we have such a small family that the oil usually costs 4 times what the turkey costs! Plus this is a much healthier alternative. Will let you know how it turns out. Tammy

TamTam
11-06-2010, 08:02 AM
Good Morning all! Weighed in this morning, I am down 1.5 and hubby down .5
Happy about the loss, read the book Diets Don't Work, it's out of print got a used copy from amazon, now I ordered the follow up book, Diets still don't work, had some interesting points, the author wrote the book in the late 90's
probably one of the first people to write about IE. I hope you all have a blessed day! Will check in after I get off work this afternoon. Tammy

TamTam
11-06-2010, 08:12 AM
Question-Do any of you have or commet on the blogs for this website? If you have one do you find it helps? Thanks. Tammy

carolr3639
11-06-2010, 01:42 PM
I don't use the blogs or look at them. Maybe I should!!! Still a little under the weather. Great for reduced appetite.

TamTam
11-06-2010, 05:18 PM
I don't use the blogs or look at them. Maybe I should!!! Still a little under the weather. Great for reduced appetite.

I was just wondering about the blogs, don't know if I could keep one up, it's hard enough to find the time to get to my posting that I love to do. I sure hope things get better for you soon, it's good for reduced appetite, but no fun being sick. Will pray for you at Mass in the morning. God Bless. Tammy

TamTam
11-07-2010, 11:16 AM
Just a short note to wish all a Good Morning and a blessed day.:hug:

carolr3639
11-08-2010, 10:12 AM
Good morning to you, too, CC.

Obsidianbbw
11-08-2010, 02:25 PM
MOrning all, Sorry Carol, I've been slacking with posting. Eating has been pretty bad. I've been over eating and eating crap. Not weighing in till the 15th to get myself on track. My monthly exercise goal has helped me keep on track working out.

Carol I know you're doing IE, but did you ever think about watching your sodium?

@CatholicCajun I've had a blog and it helps me personally with venting, accountability, and when I want to track certain things. I've looked at other blogs occasionally, but I've never bothered to read any of them regularly.

carolr3639
11-08-2010, 05:41 PM
Obi, I honestly don't like salty foods in general.

carolr3639
11-09-2010, 12:19 PM
I was looking at your blog a little today, Obi. It sounds good but I've never been much of a person to do that kind of thing. I think I spend too much time on the computer as it is. But good for you for keeping it up.

TamTam
11-09-2010, 03:32 PM
Hi, Obi thanks for the info. I was trying and am still trying to decide whether to start a blog. Just don't know. I am reading Diets Don't work and watching I can Make You Thin videos, it all has to do with IE, so far have been doing good, but am trying to work on eating slower and being more conscience of the food I am eating despite the distractions of every day life. Have a blessed day all. Tammy

carolr3639
11-09-2010, 07:19 PM
Have you ever noticed that after you have been sick and eating less for a few days that the next few days you are really hungry? I over did it today.

Obsidianbbw
11-10-2010, 06:36 PM
I just started re-reading the overfed head and was thinking thank goodness I discovered IE and had some stuff I wanted to post to get some discussions going...then I came across this post. Its basically a discussion on whether IE works or not.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/living-maintenance/216973-intuitive-eating-maintenance.html

Kinda took the wind out of my sails. :^:

I've come to realize I'm never going to be a strict carb or calorie counter and while I know the carb count and calories on most things I eat the thing that has helped the most is asking myself am I hungry, am I satisfied.

So does this mean I'm setting myself up for failure? I also wonder is it like calories counter who don't agree with low carb people? The post is in the maintenance forum so these people have been through so they must know more than I do...right? :?:

Blah.

Something else makes me want to hunker down and lose the weight and prove it can be done with IE. I lost 50 lbs doing it before so I know it is possible ...extremely focused.

Katterina
11-11-2010, 02:09 AM
I wouldn't worry about it. I don't think there's a plan out there that works for everyone, including calorie counting. The human body is immensely complex and there could be hundreds of reasons medically or behaviorally why Plan A didn't work for Subject B.

Personally, I've tried a lot of different diets. I can say for a fact that the South Beach Diet did not work for me (and I followed it to a T!) It's a great, healthy plan and I know it works well for others, but for whatever reason, my body did not respond to it. Conversely, Weight Watchers worked great for me in the short term, but I was not good at keeping up the counting in the long term.

I think the important thing is to find a plan that (A) works for the individual and (B) can be maintained in a healthy manner.

Just my two cents. Off the soapbox with me now! :o :^: :D

Obsidianbbw
11-11-2010, 06:22 AM
Thanks katterina I think part of it maybe I haven't been on the scale in a bit. We'll see...Its a process and honestly I'm happy even if it is slower.

So Back to my regularly scheduled program. A while back Catholic Cajun I think mentioned in the overfed head he says to eat till you're not hungry, not till you're satisfied.

I haven't finished the book, but I think they are 2 different things. For me If I'm hungry lets say getting home from work I'll grab a snack to take the edge off the hunger(eating till I'm not hungry) but I know I really want more and I'll have dinner till I'm satisfied. I also ask myself how hungry and and how much of something do I really want. I ask myself this constantly through out the day. If Im unsure I try and give it a number from 1-10. I've also been playing around with no eating immediately. Not because I don't want to eat but because I want to make the decision of when I'm ready and eat the thing I actually want.

Yesterday I was hungry at lunch, but didn't pack one. So I went to wholefood where I've done death by buffet. I decided while it looked good I didn't really want that much and ended up getting a Frozen meal. I did stand there for a min or 2 think what do I really want. Is the frozen meal enough do i want to add something...no...I just want to eat the meal and be done with. The buffet wasn't enticing, I could have it, but wasn't really interested.

I think thats the reason I love IE, as soon as I restrict something either outright or because it doesn't have the correct(calories, carb or whatever)count I instantly want it.

Anyway, the other thing I've been trying to do is not assume I must have x number of things because thats what I'm used to. I made a veggie omelet for breakfast and I usually use 2 egg beaters because I can't possibly be satisfied with 1. I made it with one and honestly it looked like enough.

Ok officially off the soapbox and feeling perky.

Obsidianbbw
11-11-2010, 06:24 AM
@Catholic Cajun.I stay start the blog, can't hurt anything and nice way to keep track of things you discover on your journey.

I've been counting my chews when I find myself eating too fast. I know it sounds obsessive but it gets me to slow down.

Obsidianbbw
11-11-2010, 01:32 PM
@Carol about the blog. I think mine is a bad example. Its more like a personal diary not at all witty or helpful to anyone else. katterina's (sp?) was pretty cool. Also I think I've been obsessed lately with working out.

So right now its 1:30 and I'm hungry, but I'm hanging out while I wait for a friend to pick up something for both of us. It isn't all consuming. Im not getting grumpy. I know I'm hungry, but it isn't controlling me. I'm not running to the vending machine because I want what I want. The food will come I'll live. In a good yet weird place.

carolr3639
11-11-2010, 03:36 PM
Great news, Obi, the waiting till you get what you want. I still am conscious of calories but try to eat anyway. I had some Hershey's shell today which is pretty high but I ate just enough. I think some one said lately when they start denying things, that's when they want them the most. All things in moderation.

Obsidianbbw
11-11-2010, 07:21 PM
I still do some of the calorie calculation in my head and I wanted to watch my salt and water intake so I was doing some logging. My ankles seem swollen no matter how much I exercise and drink water. At the end of the day it is IE that keeps me say and going. I also noticed on the days I dabble in calorie counting I am more focused on eating at a certain time and I seem to pack more snacks. When I do more IE I tend to eat 3 meals and thats it. I'm not interested in the snacks because I don't really want them. Like tonight I'm hungry, so I heated up some roasted vegetables. There is baked chicken as well, but not in the mood for it, just the vegetables.If it was a calorie day I would be thinking I have enough calories for the chicken and eat it.

We'll see how it goes.

Since you brought up chocolate. I did have a splurge and go tot he godiva store the other day. I bought a a few different kind of truffle. I at some, decided I was done and eat the rest today. I did wonder how many billions of calories did I just eat, but was happy didn't feel the need to have them all at once.

Im going to attempt my first baked good this weekend. Cheesecake....:^: only problem is i don't really want the wholething, blah....anyway wish me luck

I have been sticking to my exercise routine. What is everyone else doing?

ok, off the soapbox and going to grab my dinner. Have a good night.

Obsidianbbw
11-12-2010, 09:05 AM
So the other day I was talking to a friend who asked do I eat fruit for breakfast and I said no it isn't really filling and I just don't do it.

Today after my workout all I wanted was grapes and a piece of cheese....

Have a good weekend

-Wacky Obie

carolr3639
11-12-2010, 11:46 AM
The only exercise that makes me feel really good is Bodyflex. There used to be a thread about it. It is a special breathing method with stretches and also a gym bar for weight lifting type exercise. The creator is Greer Childers. Later she came out with Shapely Secrets, same breathing but with those exercises where you work muscle against muscle.....I forget the name of those. I like Bodyflex better.

carolr3639
11-12-2010, 11:54 AM
Here is a link. http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/16157-bodyflex-real.html

carolr3639
11-12-2010, 12:05 PM
There was a long thread about Shapely Secrets a few years ago.
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/does-work/100990-shapely-secrets.html

TamTam
11-15-2010, 06:28 PM
Well hello! How are all of you doing? This past week I worked on eating slower and being more conscious of my eating, the book I just finished reading said to put the fork down between bites, well, I found something that worked better, I pray a Hail Mary for each bite, one prayer for a different person, I will probably change prayer from time to time or memorize a different Scripture or affirmation, but it really did help me slow my eating down and someone gets the benefit of a prayer!! We are having a dreary rainy day today, slow at work. Hope to hear from you all soon. Have a blessed evening!!

TamTam
11-16-2010, 01:29 PM
Good afternoon all!!!

carolr3639
11-16-2010, 01:42 PM
Hi, CC. Things are a little slow here. I have been feeling a little better. When I went to the doctor, I weighed about 30lb less then 4 yr. ago. I'd still like it to be lower but I am content with that.

TamTam
11-16-2010, 07:24 PM
Hello Carol. I'd take 30 less myself! We had to go and get new cell phones today, ours were at least 4+ years old, but never had a problem with them, well hubby went cut tree branches in the back yard and his fell in the water, so we went get new ones along with ones for my managers, now I have to learn how to use the thing, has too many functions for me, but you just about cannot get a simple phone anymore. Have been doing better with my eating. Have a blessed evening!! Tammy

Liliann
11-16-2010, 08:02 PM
Hello.. I have been eating when am hungry, most of the time, lost touch from my stomach hunger and need to connect it back ,since eating from mouth hunger and since holidays are coming..which I need to refocus my mindset...but do love the feeling on eating healthy when am hungry.That is my main goal from now on, along with fitness.

I also ditching the scale..and focus on looking in the mirror,and how my clothes fit..I was wearing a size 3x pants, and now am a size 1x pants. I have a long way to go..

I hope I can become more active on this thread..Until next time, be well.:) :hug:

carolr3639
11-17-2010, 12:49 PM
Welcome Liliann. Sounds like you have the hang of IE already. I have recently lost a little more weight and some really old clothes that I still like are now fitting. That's a great reward. It's hard, though when few people see it that way, my dh included who just lost 20 lb by a very low cal diet. He's putting some back on, though.

TamTam
11-18-2010, 01:34 PM
Hello.. I have been eating when am hungry, most of the time, lost touch from my stomach hunger and need to connect it back ,since eating from mouth hunger and since holidays are coming..which I need to refocus my mindset...but do love the feeling on eating healthy when am hungry.That is my main goal from now on, along with fitness.

I also ditching the scale..and focus on looking in the mirror,and how my clothes fit..I was wearing a size 3x pants, and now am a size 1x pants. I have a long way to go..

I hope I can become more active on this thread..Until next time, be well.:) :hug:

Welcome Liliann! Good for you on the new clothes size. For the holidays I plan on eating on a saucer plate, and my gumbo in a small bowl, that way it still may be a little too much, but not as much as on are regular plate and a regular bowl. I hope you come and visit often. Have a blessed day.:hug:

Liliann
11-18-2010, 05:37 PM
Thanks for the welcome CC and Carol... I had read some self help books and even have IE book that I re-read from time to time. I remember an old dietictian recomend this method.

Carol... 30 Lbs is good loss..Great job!

TamTam
11-18-2010, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the welcome CC and Carol... I had read some self help books and even have IE book that I re-read from time to time. I remember an old dietictian recomend this method.

Carol... 30 Lbs is good loss..Great job!

Here are the IE books I have read: Weigh Down, Intuitive Eating, Eded Diet, I Can Make You Thin and Lightweigh (no books) a Catholic approach to IE. What book are you reading?

carolr3639
11-18-2010, 08:17 PM
I still go back to The Overfed Head when I need a boost.

Liliann
11-19-2010, 08:17 AM
Here are the IE books I have read: Weigh Down, Intuitive Eating, Eded Diet, I Can Make You Thin and Lightweigh (no books) a Catholic approach to IE. What book are you reading?

Cajun... I have IE , Overcome Overeating, Geenen Roth(compulsive overeating),Binge Breaker,and the lastest is Gabriel Method(which his advice goes 100% organic), but like what he says on not using our bodies as a saftey net..His method is more like medition style.

TamTam
11-19-2010, 10:14 AM
Cajun... I have IE , Overcome Overeating, Geenen Roth(compulsive overeating),Binge Breaker,and the lastest is Gabriel Method(which his advice goes 100% organic), but like what he says on not using our bodies as a saftey net..His method is more like medition style.

And I forgot, the Overfed Head is another book I read, you would think after reading all this I would have this IE thing down pat, but we are human, weak and frail, so by God's grace, everyday is a new beginning. Have a blessed day.:D

carolr3639
11-19-2010, 12:52 PM
Hi to all. Just now I am getting hungry but nothing sounds good. I really want what I eat to be satisfying but maybe I'm concentrating on that too much. What do you a think?

TamTam
11-19-2010, 04:10 PM
Hi to all. Just now I am getting hungry but nothing sounds good. I really want what I eat to be satisfying but maybe I'm concentrating on that too much. What do you a think?

That can sometimes be a problem for me too, so I tend to see what's on hand and elimate (sp?) what does NOT sound appealing, then I go from there, hope this helps. God Bless.:hug:

Liliann
11-19-2010, 04:10 PM
Carol.. Eat something..Hoping that your hunger statisfy your appettie and don't lose that feeling.

Hi ladies.. I am constant eating from mouth hunger and from being bored. Yesterday ate 2 whole boxes of little debbies cakes and was stuffed and ever since then..doing my best on not eating when my tummy is full. I hope I get my hunger signal back. Have a nice evening..

TamTam
11-19-2010, 05:50 PM
:hug::hug:Carol.. Eat something..Hoping that your hunger statisfy your appettie and don't lose that feeling.

Hi ladies.. I am constant eating from mouth hunger and from being bored. Yesterday ate 2 whole boxes of little debbies cakes and was stuffed and ever since then..doing my best on not eating when my tummy is full. I hope I get my hunger signal back. Have a nice evening..

Honey, we have all been there. Just take things one step at a time, take baby steps and work on one thing at a time, if bored type on this message board, take a long hot bubble bath, read, go for a walk, read IE books, and have a blessed evening!!!:hug:

Katterina
11-20-2010, 01:56 AM

If nothing sounds good, then I usually have a small snack to make the hunger subside for awhile. I often have a better idea of what I want once I get hungry again an hour or so later.

Liliann
11-20-2010, 08:16 AM
Thanks Cajun..

I won't eat breakfast, my stomach feels full from last night meal and need to give my stomach a break. Am drinking coffee this morning and thank God for the new day!

Have a great day..will check in later.. :hug:

TamTam
11-20-2010, 04:16 PM
Thanks Cajun..

I won't eat breakfast, my stomach feels full from last night meal and need to give my stomach a break. Am drinking coffee this morning and thank God for the new day!

Have a great day..will check in later.. :hug:

Hang in ther Liliann, it will get better and every day is a new day and a chance for it to get better. Have a blessed day.:hug:

carolr3639
11-22-2010, 11:59 AM
I was thinking today that I really don't have trouble with Thanksgiving day, because after I'm done with cooking for 25, I'm really not hungry. Blessings all around. As much as I love seeing everyone, it really wears me out. I can't wait for the first snowfall. It it is so beautiful. I love the changes in seasons. Lately I've been craving high fiber cereal for breakfast and I really need that. ha!

TamTam
11-22-2010, 12:50 PM
I was thinking today that I really don't have trouble with Thanksgiving day, because after I'm done with cooking for 25, I'm really not hungry. Blessings all around. As much as I love seeing everyone, it really wears me out. I can't wait for the first snowfall. It it is so beautiful. I love the changes in seasons. Lately I've been craving high fiber cereal for breakfast and I really need that. ha!

Well, for me it's opposite, my husband does all the cooking, but I am his helper, but I plan on eating on saucer plates and small bowls for the gumbo, after all there will be leftovers and it's not like I can't have more for supper. Have a blessed day.:hug:

carolr3639
11-22-2010, 08:41 PM
Just got this from Michelle May, M.D,

How I Eat on Thanksgiving

Because I write and speak about fearless and mindful eating, people often ask what I eat. I usually just say I’m a foodie—I eat what I love and love what I eat.

I’m not trying to be evasive but balanced eating isn’t just about what you eat. It’s about how you think about what you eat. Since the holidays can be a challenge, I decided to finally answer the question, “What do you eat?” by sharing my typical Thanksgiving.
48 hours in the life of one foodie

The day before Thanksgiving, I eat my usual breakfast: yogurt, high fiber cereal, and fresh fruit, coffee with skim milk and a non-nutritive sweetener. I’ll go to my favorite yoga class in the morning and when I get hungry again, make something yummy and satisfying like a Panini or a Southwestern salad (greens, black beans, shredded cheese, salsa, and a few tortilla chips crumbled over the top). I might have walnuts and dried cherries for an afternoon snack; not only are walnuts are a good source of omega 3’s, they remind me of holiday baking with my grandmother.

We’ll pick up vegetarian and pepperoni pizzas for Wednesday’s dinner because it’s easy and we love them. I usually have three slices of the vegetarian. For pizza, I’m willing to feel a little full when I’m done—a “6” on the Hunger and Fullness Scale for those who’ve read my books—but not stuffed.

Our family tradition is to go hiking near our home on Thanksgiving morning. November is beautiful in Phoenix and we have the largest urban trail system in the country. When we get home, we’ll eat a late breakfast that won’t mess up the kitchen—for me, probably yogurt and cereal again but no fruit, knowing what’s coming.

The first of the two Thanksgiving dinners we attend is around 2:00. By the time we arrive, I’ll be hungry (a “3”). Although there will be a lovely veggie tray out, I’ll skip it to avoid filling up before the main event. I keep myself busy setting up the buffet which also gives me a chance to check out all the options. We have a big family and everyone brings their specialties so I get to be very choosey about what I’ll eat.

By the time everything is ready and we’ve given thanks, I’ll be around a “2.” I prefer to eat with the intention of feeling better when I’m done than I did when I started. I’ll aim for a “6” or “7” since we have another house to hit in a few hours. I set myself up near the end of the line. It gives me a chance to chat with people that I don’t often see. By the time it’s finally my turn to serve myself, I’ll know exactly what I want to try.

I skip the roll and butter, the fruit salad, and the relish tray since I can have those any time. There are two different kinds of stuffing so I try some of each to decide which I prefer. I take a little turkey but pass up the cranberry sauce if it’s shaped like a can. I zero in on the green bean casserole and mashed potatoes and gravy, two of my favorites.

Since I usually end up with more than I intended, I eat mindfully—slowly and attentively. I’ll leave what I don’t love and have seconds of what I do. I might sample just a bite of my husband’s pie; even though I’m full, I still feel good—and I don't want to spend the afternoon sprawled out on the couch complaining! By the time we get to the next house a couple of hours later, they’re ready for dessert—and I will be too.

That does it for me on Thursday. Friday will be back to normal—except that I get to have leftovers for lunch!

Eat Mindfully, Live Vibrantly!
Michelle May, M.D.

elisaannh
11-24-2010, 11:34 AM
I am mindful that abundance and feasting is a concept and does not mean I must place that inside me by eating too much food. Instead, consider bringing the abundance of love to the table to share with family and friends. The satisfaction of seeing a smile, sharing a story, realizing that you are all together may just be the deep satisfaction that the food itself cannot bring.

TamTam
11-24-2010, 11:48 AM
Thanks Carol for tha amazing article. It will be so nice to be able to eat and enjoy the meal and not feel the guilt about overeating. My husband usually cooks enough to feed a small country and it's only him and I our son and his wife! We usually invite neighbors who don't have family close by to come and eat, our parents are gone, as well as our DIL's parents and grandparents, so we are a small group, so I will have my small bowl of gumbo and some of the other food as long as it fits on a salad plate and dessert later in the day. In case I don't get to post again-Have a blessed Thanksgiving!!!

Obsidianbbw
11-24-2010, 11:50 AM
Hey guys just a quick check in. So short story I got on the scale and it hadn't moved in 2 weeks. So I just took a week where I didn't follow anything and I stayed off all my weight loss sites. I didn't count and didn't ask if I was hungry, just lived.

So after I week I got back on the wagon, absolutely no counting or asking myself a billion times a day if I'm hungry. Scale is going down, not sure if I actually changed anything, but I'm happier.

Hope everyone has a happy Turkey Day.

Liliann
11-24-2010, 01:57 PM
Hello Ladies,

Am hanging in there. No Major Thanksgiving feast here..we are just keeping it simple,since my mom having joint pains..so our Thanksgiving will be quiet.

Just wanted to say Happy Thanksgiving to all!!:hug:

NettieDelgado
11-24-2010, 06:58 PM
Hello everyone! I want to introduce myself and say hello. I have been fighting an eating disorder for a few years, using intuitive eating as a tool to get healthy. There's much more to me...but it will have to wait till I have more time to chat.

I look forward to getting to know you all better!

Katterina
11-25-2010, 03:42 AM
Hello everyone! I want to introduce myself and say hello. I have been fighting an eating disorder for a few years, using intuitive eating as a tool to get healthy. There's much more to me...but it will have to wait till I have more time to chat.

I look forward to getting to know you all better!

Welcome, Nettie! :hug:

Katterina
11-25-2010, 03:49 AM
This Thanksgiving is my one year anniversary in beginning my IE journey. I have learned so much, yet continue to learn every day.

I have to work the holiday, but everyone is bringing a potluck dish to work. I think it will be great. No food stress makes it all the more enjoyable. I feel blessed.

Happy Thanksgiving! :)

Liliann
11-26-2010, 07:10 PM
Welcome Nettie and Katterina!

Obsid...Glad that the scale is moving down!! Keep up the good work!!

Hoping everyone holiday went well. Mine was quiet and ate with stomach hunger..I did very good...My scale is being kind to me and am on the right path here,,,Thank God!!

Enjoy your holiday weekend...:)

NettieDelgado
11-28-2010, 01:30 AM
Thanks for the welcome ladies.

Today I've been thinking about mindful eating. I live alone and often just eat in front of either the TV screen or computer screen. I have had some hard emotional days recently and I suspect that I'm over eating due to lack of being present while eating.

My goal for this week (my weeks start on Sunday) is to eat mindfully 1 time per day.

Do you guys have any goals for this week? Like to share?

Katterina
11-29-2010, 01:12 AM
My goal this week is to pause and do "satiety checks" in the middle of my meals. I have been forgetting this a lot lately. :o

carolr3639
11-29-2010, 09:42 PM
Some really sad family issues right now. Sorry I haven't been here.

carolr3639
12-01-2010, 07:58 PM
I'm just so amazed how in 4 yr. I got over certain cravings like Cadbury chocolate almond bars. Just don't need them anymore.

Katterina
12-06-2010, 04:16 PM
How is everyone doing this week?

I think I am doing okay. There's nothing terribly tempting in the house, so I have to get creative. I am very much looking forward to visiting town next week so I can get more groceries and the hubby and I can indulge at our favorite Chinese buffet. ;)

I have also been exercising more. I have more or less plateaued at this weight for the past six months, so I think I need to shake things up a bit. I've been needing more activity anyway since the weather got so cold.

carolr3639
12-09-2010, 04:28 PM
Hi Katterina. My daughter's husband left her last week so it has been so sad here lately. She has a one year old boy and a 3 yr. old girl. I've been kind of in a daze. I can see how people go to food for comfort, though I haven't been very hungry lately.

carolr3639
12-12-2010, 05:22 PM
Snowed in here and the power was out for a couple hours. Beautiful but veryyy cold.

carolr3639
12-13-2010, 02:51 PM
I was just wondering if you burn more calories in cold weather so I googled it and this is what I found.

The nice thing about being outside when the weather is cold is that you burn more calories. Who would have thought that you could literally stand still in the winter outside and burn calories. Want to know why? Sure you do!

Your body is programmed to maintain a temperature of 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit or 37.0 degrees Celsius. With that being said, your core temperature drops when you are outside. Therefore, your body needs to exert energy to bring the temperature back up (this can be in the form of shivering) which burns calories. I'm not saying that by standing outside you will lose 10 pounds, but you WILL burn a small amount of calories simply by standing out in the cold.

Do I recommend this for weight loss? No. How boring is that! But it is a fun fact to make you think about how the body burns calories to exert energy, which increases the body's core temperature. There's your fun fact of the day!

carolr3639
12-13-2010, 02:54 PM
Forgot to say that was from bodybuilding.com.

luvmyellabella
12-13-2010, 03:59 PM
Hi everyone, I am thrilled I found this thread.

After a lifetime of dieting, I just can't do it anymore. My last waste of money was on the new and improved Weight Watchers. I won't even bore you with having to carry a points calculator around with you all the time. And that was the least of it.

I have many books on non dieting techniques. But I've never really committed until now. Right now I am rereading a book called I can Make You Thin by Paul McKenna. It's a corny title, but a wonderful little book, clearly summarizing techniques to keep from overeating.

Are you reading any particular book? If so, I'd like to join in. Thanks for being here!

luvmyellabella
12-13-2010, 04:19 PM
Someone here posted a link to a thread about Intuitive Eating and Maintenance/weight loss, and said it took the wings out of their sails.

I read those posts over carefully, and no offense to the posters but some of the statements made, like "intuitive eating is proven not to work for the obese" or the statement made that a lot of these authors are just in it for financial gain, etc. and before/after photos are a sham...

well, frankly, I would take all of THAT with a grain of salt when no bibliographies or studies are linked or referred to, to back up the statements.

I believe that intuitive eating works, and I'm out to prove them wrong. I KNOW that when I eat mindfully and more slowly I eat less without counting calories. Like diets, I just never kept it up. This time I'm committed.

I know this works. Let's prove the naysayers wrong. Anyone want to join me?

carolr3639
12-13-2010, 07:36 PM
:welcome3: ella, I have lost 30lb and kept it off, though I could lose more. This is the only thing that has ever worked for me.

luvmyellabella
12-13-2010, 08:23 PM
Thank you Carol.

Carol, I think 30 lbs. is fantastic! CONGRATULATIONS!!!:carrot:

You should feel so good about yourself - and all without dieting! Carol, are you reading any books on the subject, or just being mindful?

Katterina
12-14-2010, 01:05 AM
Carol: Sorry to hear about the family crisis. Truly devastating. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. :hug::hug:

luvmyellabella Welcome! And yes, I agree. Inflammatory statements like some on that IE maintenance thread have zero credibility with me unless someone is speaking from objective personal experience or directly quoting from scholarly sources of published scientific research.

I think many people have an incomplete understanding of IE. I notice that most people say things like, "I would get fat if I ate as much as I wanted whenever I wanted," when that is not IE at all. Head hunger and physiological hunger are two different things, just as wants and needs are often very different. That sort of statement also reveals that the person has never actually tried IE, or they would have said, "When I did IE..."

I'm not sure why IE has such a bad rap on this board. :?: IE seems very much like a common sense approach to weight loss and healthy eating habits to me. A year into this, I eat far more whole foods than before because they look and taste good to me. I don't even think to shop in the candy or junk food aisles because those foods are no longer appealing.

Sorry, off my soapbox. :^: I just get annoyed when I see people running around poo-pooing every plan except the one they are on... especially without presenting objective facts. :rolleyes:

carolr3639
12-14-2010, 10:04 AM
"A year into this, I eat far more whole foods than before because they look and taste good to me. I don't even think to shop in the candy or junk food aisles because those foods are no longer appealing."

I feel the same way. I can't get over how good an apple or a banana tastes now. Kind of like when we were kids.

Thanks, Katterina for your kind words.

carolr3639
12-14-2010, 10:05 AM
Ella, I have read a lot of books. I guess my favorite is The Overfed Head by Rob Stevens. Intuitive Eating by Resch and Tribole is very comprehensive.

luvmyellabella
12-14-2010, 07:35 PM
Katterina and Carol, you are certainly both living proof that this works!

I have heard about The Overfed Head and Intuitive Eating. I'll look on amazon for those books. Thanks!

carolr3639
12-15-2010, 09:03 AM
Another tidbit from bodybuilding.com.

You heard it hundreds of times in one of the oldest Christmas carols: "the weather outside is frightful!" As we all know, sometimes it's just that much more pleasant to stay inside than to face the harsh cold weather outside.

We are almost forced to move less during these cold winter months, therefore making it harder to burn off the extra calories. In addition, the weather forces us to also wear big bulky clothes allowing us to cover up our problem areas - As the old adage says, "out of site, out of mind."

The physiological aspects of cold weather too are phenomenal. For thousands of years, when the temperature dropped, it instantly triggers a survival aspect, thus urging us to want to eat more. It's a trick that our own minds play on us.

When it's cold, we want to eat due to our survival mechanism which is deep in our human conditioning.

Another helpful tip is to eat when we are at a level 4 or 5 on a scale of 1-10 for our hunger. This will keep our big food cravings at bay, because if we are not that full and not that hungry, our cravings that are caused from the cold weather won't be that cold.

One study had 10 people in a colder room, and another set of 10 in another that was comfortable. Both sets of people were fed the same meals at lunch. The study showed that the ones in the colder room ate more than the other set. This illustrates that colder weather does indeed cause people to eat more.

By understanding this phenomenon and planning your meals in advance, you will have much more control over your eating habits during the cold winter months. One other solution is to sip on hot herbal tea with a squeeze of lemon instead to keep your body temperature warm.

-> Food Is The Focal Point Of Many Holiday Gatherings:

Lets face it, when the holidays are here, food is the focal point of most social gatherings. Parties, get-togethers, and family dinners are all high food affairs with tons of unhealthy choices. Also many people feel forced to eat to fit and blend into the party. There are even some social instances when it may also be considered rude not to eat. We can combat this by making sure we eat before hand; not arriving to the social function on an empty stomach will cut the urge to over indulge in high fat and high calorie treats.

Instead of focusing on the food at your next office party, make sure you strike up conversations with your fellow friends. Concentrate on your networking and connecting at your holiday get-togethers rather than the food. If you really want to dig in, just remember the one golden rule of the holidays: "all things in moderation."

-> Holidays Are A Stressful Time:

Even with all the cheerful glee, the holidays are a stressful time. We all have tons of "to-do's" and so little time to get it all done. We are prone to stress, therefore emotional eating soothes our nerves. Sometimes we get confused and we are triggered by our own emotions to eat even when we are not hungry, therefore packing on the pounds from this mindless eating.

To deter this, try scheduling a "detox" time where you can go and just deep breathe for at least 10 minutes. It will de-stress you and help you to not resort to food when you get over stressed.

Your workouts are also a great stress releaser. Make sure you treat your workouts as important business meetings that you cannot be late to, or cancel, or "call in sick" to, with the most important person in the world: YOU!

During the holidays, it may seem much easier to forget about exercising all together until the New Year, but hang on! Make sure you schedule your workouts in advance and make them happen. Getting to the gym during the holidays will keep you less stressed and more balanced, therefore making your holiday season just that much more enjoyable!

-> Overscheduled Calendars:

My solution for all of those who cannot find the time to workout is to: "put yourself back on your to-do list!" Yes, agreed - there is too much to do during the holidays, such as: running errands, traveling, and shopping for presents.

"Shift Your Mind Set From
I Have To Exercise To I Get To Exercise."

We can use the excuse that we don't have time to exercise, but if you really try then you can always find the time. Shift your mind set from "I have to exercise," to "I get to exercise," and your body will take action! Look forward to your workouts as a perfect solution to not having your alone time. It's just as important as getting everything else done.

carolr3639
12-15-2010, 02:05 PM
Seems this time of year there are all sorts of articles on hunger.

9 Reasons Your Body Thinks It's Hungry
By Brynn Mannino, Woman's Day
Thu, Dec 02, 2010

A staggering 63 percent of Americans are overweight. The most common cause? We eat more food than we need—and we're all guilty of doing it: mindlessly munching on a bag of pretzels during a reality TV marathon or treating ourselves to a second helping when the first was plenty. But boredom and indulgence aside, why else are we reaching for a snack when we should feel full? Some of it can be blamed on habit, while other triggers have more to do with our body's hunger signals. Check out the list below to find out the most common overeating pitfalls and simple solutions for avoiding these traps.

1. You didn't get enough sleep last night.
Lack of rest stimulates two faux hunger triggers: energy deficiency, to which our natural reaction is to nourish our bodies, and appetite hormone confusion. "When our bodies are drained, levels of leptin—a hormone produced by our fat cells that controls our appetite—decrease, while levels of gherlin—a hormone produced by our stomach that stimulates our appetite—increase," explains American Dietetic Association spokeswoman Karen Ansel, RD. That's two hormones working against you. "Getting eight hours of sleep a night is the easiest thing you can do to prevent overeating." If you do fall short on zzz's, be sure to load up on nourishing, naturally energizing foods—such as fresh fruit, complex carbohydrates and lean proteins—throughout the day to help your body feel satisfied.

2. You're taking medication that causes hunger as a side effect.
If you felt ravenous the last time you were taking an antibiotic to tame an allergic reaction, joint inflammation, acne or a bad cold, the medicine may be to blame. "Medication that contains mild steroids, like prednisone, a corticosteroid, ramp up hunger big time," says Milton Stokes, RD, owner of One Source Nutrition, LLC. "If you've already eaten a normal-size meal, ignore the drug-inflated hunger," says Stokes. Instead, try an oral fix like chewing gum, sipping warm coffee or brushing your teeth, he suggests. If you're on long-term steroid therapy, consult a dietitian to devise an eating plan that will help you feel more satisfied throughout the treatment.

3. You're thirsty or dehydrated.
The symptoms of dehydration (sleepiness, low energy) closely mimic those of being overly hungry, which may lead you to think you need food to increase your energy level, explains Sandon. When you're thirsty, your mouth becomes dry, a symptom that eating will temporarily relieve, notes Sandon. She suggests drinking a tall glass of water or cup of herbal tea before eating and waiting for your body's hunger signals to adjust (about 10 minutes). "Doing so could save hundreds of calories."

4. It's "mealtime."
As creatures of habit, we tend to eat on autopilot. While some regularity is encouraged so that you don't become overly hungry, which could lead to bingeing, it's also important to listen to hunger signals, says Ansel. "Next time you sit down to eat, ask yourself: 'Am I really hungry?' If the answer is 'no,' either eat a smaller portion or put off the meal for an hour—though no longer than that," suggests Ansel. This also applies to situations you associate with eating, like flying. "We've been conditioned to associate an airplane ride with eating," Ansel says. The solution: "Pay attention to timing," recommends Lona Sandon, MEd, RD, assistant professor of nutrition at University of Texas Southwestern. "Know how long the flight is and plan satisfying meals around it." Also, take advantage of the free (hydrating) beverages, she adds, as the enclosed space leads to hunger-causing dehydration.

5. You just worked out.
We are conditioned to feed ourselves after exercising. And, after a particularly strenuous exercise session like a spinning class or interval-training workout, we tend to feel ravenous. But that doesn't mean your body needs extra calories. "It means your body needs a specific kind of nourishment," says Marissa Lippert, RD, a nutrition consultant and dietitian in New York City. Opt for roasted chicken or other lean meats (protein will replenish your muscles) and brown rice or other whole grains (complex carbohydrates take a while to break down) to help your body recover faster and fend off hunger longer.

6. Not enough time has passed since you finished your meal.
You've just eaten lunch only to wonder: "Why am I still hungry?" Before you assume you didn't eat enough, consider that maybe you ate too quickly. "Appetite hormones need time to tell your brain you're full," explains Sandon. To prevent post-meal hunger pangs, keep these pointers in mind: Eat slowly, putting down your fork between bites; choose flavorful and satisfying foods; and include a combination of fat, protein and carbohydrates in every meal. If you're still hungry, try sucking on a mint to ward off your cravings.

7. The women around you are eating.
A joint study out of Duke University and Arizona State University found that women tend to mirror other women's eating habits. "When one overdoes it, the rest often follow along," Ansel confirms. To avoid this copycat effect, Lippert suggests taking a quick minute to reassess your own eating habits—or, if all else fails, grabbing a pal and evacuating the scene of the food. A more permanent fix? Be the one who sets a healthy example for your girlfriends to follow. Their waistlines will thank you! "Just as obesity is contagious, so are healthy habits," says Dawn Jackson Blatner, author of The Flexitarian Diet.

8. You smell or see food.
"We tend to eat with our senses more than our stomachs," says Ansel. When we smell or see food—even if it's in a photo, advertisement or TV show—our mouths water, which stimulates our appetite. Onset factors can include smelling a batch of cupcakes baking, seeing snack food laid out on the counter or watching a cooking show. The clear-cut solution: "Out of sight, out of mind." Leave the room, hide the candy jar, turn off the TV—and the craving to eat will likely subside, says Ansel.

9. You're stressed out.
"Studies show that when people recognize they're stressed, they are more likely to turn to high-fat, salty or sugary foods," says Sandon. "These foods both are comforting and feel good in the mouth," she adds. But it's not all about emotional eating. Sandon notes that your body's chemical reaction to stress could also cause hunger pangs. "Increased levels of the stress hormones cortisol and insulin may be associated with triggering appetite." Either way, appetite control boils down to decision-making. Before reaching for the ice cream tub, try quickly clearing your mind.

carolr3639
12-17-2010, 06:01 PM
I looked all through the icon list for that little guy that's waving. "hi" and I can't find him so "HI" to everyone.

carolr3639
12-18-2010, 10:27 AM
:wave:

luvmyellabella
12-18-2010, 01:40 PM
Hi Carol, what great posts.

I know that when I eat too quickly I eat too much. One of the things I have learned from the Paul McKenna book is that eating slow is vital. What I do is try to take 20 minutes for each meal or even snack. This past week was a bad week for me emotionally, and I did not do well on two days. But I can learn from this, and move on. One thing I have learned is that I'm DEFINITELY an emotional eater.

luvmyellabella
12-18-2010, 01:44 PM
Another thing I'd like to say is that certain foods are definitely triggers for me, like sugars and flour products. I think an author, Kay Sheppherd (sp), from OA stated years ago that sugar and flour are like drugs and addictive, and for me this is so true. I have Dr. Gott's (the famed doctor newspaper columnist) books called No Flour, No Sugar. They are not a diet. I will never diet again. But I have noticed when I just avoid certain foods it makes it easier for me not to overeat. And just avoiding certain things is a lot easier than going on another diet, at least for me anyway. I definitely have "triggers."

carolr3639
12-18-2010, 08:15 PM
I didn't think I was an emotional eater until the family problems started. I did catch myself right away, though.

Katterina
12-19-2010, 03:03 PM
I have noticed that I still have trigger foods, although far fewer than before. Highly processed sugary/salty/fatty things like kids cereal or Doritos have always triggered an almost automatic "shovel it in my mouth" response once I tasted them. I didn't really notice it too much until I read "The End of Overeating," and now I am noticing it more and more with play foods.

Thankfully, I don't really crave these foods, so I don't buy them anymore. Now that I think about it, these foods were the biggest part of me failing WW because I would inevitably go back for seconds, thirds, even fourths because of how good they tasted. I notice that some now taste too salty (tortilla chips) or too sweet to me (sodas, kids cereals, most cookies, many desserts). I still have to watch out for tasty granola cereals, though. :^:

carolr3639
12-20-2010, 10:22 AM
Katterina, I don't have trigger foods anymore. All foods are the same to me. Sometimes I want something sweet and other times I crave grapefruit and vegetable soup.

carolr3639
12-21-2010, 10:48 AM

carolr3639
12-22-2010, 11:10 AM
I just reread 9 reasons the body thinks it's hungry on the previous page and think I'll read it every day for awhile. There are some good ideas there.

Katterina
12-22-2010, 03:30 PM
I have been noticing #5 lately. I never used to get so hungry after a workout, but after IE, I sure do.

carolr3639
12-23-2010, 02:18 PM
:wave: Katterina

carolr3639
12-24-2010, 02:32 PM
http://www.gundluth.org/upload/docs/landl/vol9no1metabolism.pdf

This is an interesting article from a local hospital.

Katterina
12-25-2010, 02:26 AM

Great article! :carrot:

Katterina
12-25-2010, 02:33 AM
Work was a sea of chocolate candy today. It seems like everyone brought a box in because the countertops were filled with open boxes of various chocolate squares. Funny, I would look to see what kind was in each box, halfway hoping that something thin and crunchy and not too rich or sickening sweet would be there, but alas, it did not exist. Easy pass, but I had fun looking. I felt like I was window shopping with food!

carolr3639
12-27-2010, 10:45 AM
Looks like it's just you and me Katterina. That's ok. Maybe some others will join in. Nothing tastes very good lately except veggie soup. I'm making some more today with homemade noodles.

lharvey180
12-27-2010, 04:51 PM
Hi,

It's been a long time since I have visited this forum. I seem to keep going back and forth between dieting and IE. A little background on me, since I havent been here much.

I'm 30 and have been struggling with weight loss and yo yo diets for years! Prob a good 4 years ago now I lost 85 pounds. (By basically restricting myself to 700 calories a day and exercising 2 hours a day...not the best means...and its really messed me up mentally!) In the past two years I have re-gained 20 of them. I guess I'm just screwed up when it comes to food and haven't quite found my way yet!

This time, I really want to give up on dieting (since it only seems to work for a little while anyways, before I get completely, stressed, anxious and than completely burned out anyways!) It's so hard for me for some reaason though, my parents right now are both doing Jenny Craig and keep wanting my husband and I to jump on the bandwagon. My brother is also on a medically supervised diet. My husband really needs to loose weight before his health is affected. And than there leaves me. I'm probably at least 30-40 pounds overweight right now. I'm also wanting to start a family in the next year or two, which makes me very nervous about the weight gain that results in pregnancy. (which is a completely silly thing to worry about, I realize)

Anyways, I've lost my train of thought. I really want to focus on IE and let my body tell me what/when to eat. In the past it seems I've treated IE like another diet. If I got full, I failed. If I ate when I wasnt hungry, I failed. That type of thing. Sometimes, I just feel so completely out of control around food. I wish it didn't have so much power over me, its just food afterall. But I always wonder why can my friends eat just one cookie, and I cannot. Why can they stop 1/2 way through a meal when they are satisfied and I always feel the need to clear my plate. It almost seems like I get anxiety about stopping eating...like I may never eat this or get food again. It really makes not sense but thats the way I feel sometimes.

Anyways, I plan on visiting here often, (seems this is the only type of forum I have found with people doing IE) I have ordered "Women, Food and God" from Amazon and am anxiously awaiting its arrival.

Till than, I'm trying to slow down when I eat and really focus on asking myself, am I hunry, have I eaten enough. But its so darn hard!

If you made it through my novel, I applaud you. LOL. Sorry I went off on a little bit of a tangent.

I look forward to getting to know you all more
Thanks,
Lisa

carolr3639
12-27-2010, 06:16 PM
Lisa, you are young and you can do this. I dieted for almost 40 years. For the past 2 years I gave it up. Even after I started IE something would come up and I would want to lose faster. It is amazing how you can eat smaller amounts of everything and lose weight, really opposite of most things you learn about weight loss. Today I threw away a 4 day diet that I have had for years for quick weight loss. I can't do that anymore.

carolr3639
12-28-2010, 10:48 AM
A few thoughts from Michelle May, M.D.

1. Depriving yourself of the foods you love eventually leads to overeating. Learning to eat fearlessly takes the power away from certain foods and is one of eight keys to breaking your eat-repent-repeat cycle.
2. You don’t gain wt because you eat what you love. You gain when you consume more than your body needs by eating when you’re not hungry and/or continuing to eat after you’ve had enough. Relearning to identify and trust your body wisdom is essential.
3. Loving what you eat—in other words—eating mindfully with intention and attention is another critical skill. Further, mindfulness has benefits far beyond anything that can be measured on a scale.
4. Eating what you love opens the door to doing what you love. As you stop restricting yourself, you’ll stop punishing yourself with exercise. It becomes possible—even necessary—to discover joyful, pleasurable physical activity that supports your mood, health, and NRG.

carolr3639
12-29-2010, 01:46 PM
Michelle May, M.D. has some interesting stories on her blog.

http://amihungry.com/lewis-story.shtml

TamTam
12-30-2010, 07:44 PM
Hello ladies. sorry for being away for so long but the holidays are so busy (Praise God!) and now that they are over we can take a short breath! We have been sick with colds since Christmas day, but getting better, I seem to have coughed up only one lung, so I am still doing ok, found out I have muscles in places I never thought I had them from coughing so much, but it's all good, could be worse. Hope you all had a Blessed Christmas and looking forward to 2011. Have a blessed New year in case I don't get to post for a couple of days. Tammy

TamTam
12-30-2010, 07:46 PM
Katterina and Carol, you are certainly both living proof that this works!

I have heard about The Overfed Head and Intuitive Eating. I'll look on amazon for those books. Thanks!

Both of the above books are very good! I really liked the simplicity of the overfed head, in fact will re-read it after this weekend just to get a great boost for the new year. God Bless. Tammy

carolr3639
12-31-2010, 09:31 AM
Another story from Michelle May M.D.

http://amihungry.com/sharons-story.shtml

carolr3639
01-02-2011, 06:28 PM
Here's another.

http://amihungry.com/athans-story.shtml

smoochie3
01-02-2011, 09:53 PM
Is this the only IE forum on this board?

I am convinced IE is the way to get to my natural weight! I read the book over a year ago and it convinced me. I have really let myself go lately because I knew after the 1st of the year I would be "back on track!" I am breaking out my exercise bike and going back to IE! I am going to need support girls!!!

Katterina
01-03-2011, 03:06 AM
:welcome2: We're here for you! :cheer:

I've seen IE mentioned in other parts of 3FC, but no other dedicated IE threads. Hopefully I'm not missing anything! :^:

TamTam
01-03-2011, 01:31 PM
Is this the only IE forum on this board?

I am convinced IE is the way to get to my natural weight! I read the book over a year ago and it convinced me. I have really let myself go lately because I knew after the 1st of the year I would be "back on track!" I am breaking out my exercise bike and going back to IE! I am going to need support girls!!!

:hug:Welcome! Hope we can all be of help to each other!!! Have a blessed day! Tammy:smug:

carolr3639
01-04-2011, 03:38 PM
More from Michelle May.

http://www.amihungry.com/dons-story.shtml

TamTam
01-06-2011, 06:04 PM
Hello ladies! Hope all of you are well. My eating is so so, will check out the links posted above. Have a blessed day.

carolr3639
01-07-2011, 11:15 PM
We're visiting our son in Seattle and our daughter in Portland for ten days so I might not check in much. Hope all are doing well.

Katterina
01-08-2011, 02:47 AM
Enjoy your travels! :wave:

Katterina
01-08-2011, 03:05 AM
Why Exercise Won't Make You Thin
http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1914857,00.html

I found this somewhat controversial article on the relationship between exercise and weight loss. I thought it was interesting because I could see a lot of myself in it. Lately, I have been exercising more, only to find that I am hungrier and have actually gained 2-3 pounds... possibly muscle, water weight, etc... possibly not. I was also a very active competitive athlete when I was a teen and at my highest weight. I think a lot of the harsh training I did put me into frenzy mode at meal time.

I guess it is just a good thing for me to be aware of, especially right after a workout. It reinforces the principle of "moderation in all things," which I think is a big part of IE. :)

TamTam
01-08-2011, 02:20 PM
Enjoy your visits Carol! God Bless.

carolr3639
01-12-2011, 02:23 PM
Katterina, I think I've read that article before. Makes sense. Vacation eating is a bit difficult. Nothing new.

smoochie3
01-13-2011, 10:26 PM
http://www.honormyhealth.com/

an IE blog I came across today!

2happytummy
01-17-2011, 10:50 AM
Hello and good morning.
I am new to this forum and new to thos intuitive eating thread. It's nice to meet y'all.

I am so glad that you have this thread going. I have read several non-dieting books in the past, but life has always gotten in the way of my implementing "naturally slim" or intuitive eating principles. I really need to do this---lose weight and lose the dieting mentality, too.

I hope to visit here often in days to come.

Happytummy

carolr3639
01-18-2011, 02:25 PM
:welcome3: 2happytummy. I just got back from a 2 week trip to see my kids in WA and OR and am ready to STOP eating so much!!! Amazing what all that food does to you. But that's vacation for you. I need to get this last 30 lb off just like you, happy. But I lost 30 already and have gotten kind of content with that. No more!!!

carolr3639
01-18-2011, 08:56 PM
I guess it is just a good thing for me to be aware of, especially right after a workout. It reinforces the principle of "moderation in all things," which I think is a big part of IE.

Amen to that.

carolr3639
01-18-2011, 08:58 PM
I see replies where a person puts the quote in a box. Does anyone know how to do that?

martinimouse
01-19-2011, 05:32 PM
I refuse to exercise. It's a horrible experience for me. I have lost 85 pounds without it. However, at a lower weight, I love to swim! I don;t count laps, I swim until I don't feel like swimming any more. I walk when it's nice out, again, don't count steps or miles. I enjoy the scents, the scenery and the weather. I love to move when I have the time and the inclination, I don't count how many times a week I do things. I'm happy!

carolr3639
01-19-2011, 07:02 PM
I have ten kids and love dolls, too!

TamTam
01-20-2011, 09:14 AM
Welcome Happy Tummy! Waving to you from south Louisiana. Hope you have a blessed day.

Truffle
01-22-2011, 10:07 AM
I see replies where a person puts the quote in a box. Does anyone know how to do that?

Hi, Carol...Just click on the little "Quote" button towards the right, near the bottom of the post, and that should do it for you.

Hope this helps--and hi to everyone!

carolr3639
01-22-2011, 10:30 AM
Hi, Carol...Just click on the little "Quote" button towards the right, near the bottom of the post, and that should do it for you.

Hope this helps--and hi to everyone!

Testing.

carolr3639
01-22-2011, 10:34 AM
:hug:Welcome! Hope we can all be of help to each other!!! Have a blessed day! Tammy:smug:

Thanks, Becky, I even figured out how to do a partial quote. I'm so excited. ha!

TamTam
01-22-2011, 01:20 PM
Good Morning all. Hubby and I had our weekly weigh in. He gained .25 and I stayed the same, was hoping for a loss, but at least no gain. Getting ready to read Eat what you love, love what you eat. Sounds interesting. Have a blessed day. Tammy:hug:

carolr3639
01-22-2011, 03:25 PM
Tammy, I've read some many IE books that I'm starting to forget which ones I've read. Is that one by Michell May, M.D.?

TamTam
01-22-2011, 03:34 PM
Tammy, I've read some many IE books that I'm starting to forget which ones I've read. Is that one by Michell May, M.D.?

Yes it is, her first one if I understand correctly was called Am I Hungry? and this is the updated expaned version of that book. I just finished Think Thin, Be Thin, it was interesting. Have a blessed day.

carolr3639
01-22-2011, 06:25 PM
Tammy, let us know how you like the book. I can't get over how hungry I get when it is so cold outside.....minus 15 at night. I posted awhile back how that does really affect us but don't know how far back the article is. ha!

TamTam
01-22-2011, 06:45 PM
Tammy, let us know how you like the book. I can't get over how hungry I get when it is so cold outside.....minus 15 at night. I posted awhile back how that does really affect us but don't know how far back the article is. ha!

I have also read that the temperature affects our eating. Will let you know how I like the book, have not started it yet.

carolr3639
01-23-2011, 06:55 PM
If you find an article on the cold and eating will you post it? Thanks.

2happytummy
01-24-2011, 12:09 PM
Good morning,
I haven't posted since my joining day, but wanted to get back to y'all and this thread again..

I guess I need to vent a bit, or just express some things as they relate to intuitive/mindful/true-thinny eating. I don't know if anyone else here has gone through this.

The times in my life when I did eat intuitively were times when I felt "safe" or had more general emotional support from friends/family or felt "secure". Clearly, those times were too far and few between. But I do have an idea of what it is like to eat to live rather than live to eat.

I really want to get back to eating like that---just eating like a normal person. (Rather than snarfing food while I watch TV or sit at the computer. I coined the word "snarf" because I used to own a terrier that ate so fast he could snif and "scarf" in one gulp.)

I have the additional challenge of having to eat a controlled carb/ 4+ meals a day plan for health reasons. I just want to get to where I can enjoy what I eat, and cook it to taste as good as possible---in lieu of controlled carbs. It's like an eating "double challenge".

But has anyone here in the past found that when you are in a happier phase of your life, it is so much easier to eat normally>? And when in the harder phases of life---food is a diversion?

and what books would you say helped you the most? I own the "7 Secrets of Thin People" book, and "When Women Stop Hating Their Bodies". Both are very good.

Thanks for listening,
Happy Tummy

carolr3639
01-24-2011, 12:56 PM
Oh, yes, it is easier to eat normally when things are going well. And food can be a stress tamer even if your just bored. My favorite book is The Overfed Head by Rob Stevens.

carolr3639
01-24-2011, 01:18 PM
I went back to the first post of Intuitive Eating #13 and found the articles on eating and cold plus some others I'm going to reread.

Truffle
01-24-2011, 04:26 PM
But has anyone here in the past found that when you are in a happier phase of your life, it is so much easier to eat normally>? And when in the harder phases of life---food is a diversion?

Yes! When I was dating my husband, it was effortless for me to eat normally. I had just gotten down to a very decent weight for myself, and my husband to be made me feel pretty and cherished. :D

Fast forward a few years, and life's stresses and problems--with a bad thyroid thrown in--and I've put on 130lbs since being with my husband. :(

I ended 2010 with a loss, for the whole year, of--wait for it--FIVE pounds! Yup, a lousy five pounds.

Better than my usual gain, I suppose. :dizzy:

This year I really hope to make some progress, a little more than five pounds would be nice. :lol:

carolr3639
01-24-2011, 05:49 PM
Becky, you didn't gain and you lost 5lb. I'll be praying for you for a bigger loss next year.

TamTam
01-25-2011, 08:35 AM
Eden Diet, OVerfed Head, I can make you thin, Intuitive eating,think thin, be thin and now eat what you love, love what you eat. This is my IE library, I am getting to the point of, ok, Tammy, how many books do you think you need to read that all more or less say the same thing! I mean there are just so many ways that you can put IE, I just keep praying that one day the little light bulb will go off and I can say "NOW I get it!!! Have a blessed day.

carolr3639
01-25-2011, 01:36 PM
Seems like you can learn a little something new from each book. Just now reading Skinny Chicks Don't Eat Salads and learned that starving yourself doesn't work......it backfires. I noticed a few months ago I was waiting sometimes until afternoon to eat even though I was really hungry. It didn't work. There is something about keeping the blood sugar even that helps with weight loss.

carolr3639
01-26-2011, 06:23 PM
Though the Skinny Chicks book is interesting, I could never live with that eating plan. I don't really like eggs, can't eat dairy, and....well....it's just not the things I like.

Katterina
01-27-2011, 04:36 AM
and what books would you say helped you the most? I own the "7 Secrets of Thin People" book, and "When Women Stop Hating Their Bodies". Both are very good.

I just read "7 Secrets of Slim People" for the first time. I really liked it, although several reviewers on Amazon derided it for being solely in bullet point format. I thought it was kind of refreshing and it didn't take very long to read and digest.

I started with "The Weigh Down Diet" in the 90's. I failed that pretty quickly and didn't think much about it until last year, when I read "Intuitive Eating," and suddenly it all clicked. Then I read "The Eden Diet," "I Can Make you Thin," and just now the "7 Secrets" book. I also read "The End of Overeating," which is not an IE book, but it was very informative for awareness of certain calorie dense/ unsatisfying restaurant foods. I'm currently starting "Overfed Head," and I want to catch up on everything else out there. I feel like I find a new piece of the jigsaw puzzle with every new book! :)

Katterina
01-27-2011, 04:50 AM
Seems like you can learn a little something new from each book. Just now reading Skinny Chicks Don't Eat Salads and learned that starving yourself doesn't work......it backfires. I noticed a few months ago I was waiting sometimes until afternoon to eat even though I was really hungry. It didn't work. There is something about keeping the blood sugar even that helps with weight loss.

I think you're right. I've read about people having trouble maintaining their weight losses with low calorie diets. Some can only maintain their losses by eating 1200 calories a day (the same as when they were in weight loss phase), and that number often decreases every year for them. One poor lady said she eats 1000 calories a day just to keep the weight off. That seems way too low to be healthy. :(

carolr3639
01-28-2011, 08:32 AM
January 2011 E-News
Dieting is like cutting weeds with nail clippers...you'll never get to the roots

* Why can’t I stick to a stupid diet?

* Why did I eat that candy? I wasn’t even hungry.

* Why did I order the burger and fries? I was going to order a salad.

* Why did I eat that whole bucket of popcorn? The movie hasn’t even started.

* Why did I eat so much? Now I feel miserable!

* Why did I hit my snooze alarm? I was going to get up early and go to the gym.

Sound familiar? These are the result of habits that keep you stuck in your eat-repent-repeat cycle. By definition, a habit is a recurrent, often unconscious pattern of behavior that is acquired through frequent repetition.

The problem with any habit is that it takes away your options. When you act out of habit, you continually recreate the past. No matter how motivated you are, new patterns cannot emerge from old, often unconscious, beliefs, thoughts, feelings, and behaviors.

You may already know that these are habits and you may have even tried various diets to try to break them. But that’s a habit too! Dieting is like weeding your garden with nail clippers; it’s a difficult, endless, futile chore that will never get to the root of the problem.

Until you know the real answer to Why?, you're doomed to repeat those behaviors again and again (and again and again). Difficult. Endless. Futile.
The Missing Structure

What you're missing is the necessary structure for getting to the root of the problem. Once you know and understand the missing structure, you can make your ineffective beliefs, thoughts, feelings, and behaviors conscious. Once they are conscious, you are able to use specific processes to systematically replace them with effective beliefs, thoughts, feelings, and behaviors.

Without this structure, the whys? like those in the examples above are sources of recurring frustration. Try as you might, the solutions are out of reach.

With structure however, the answers and solutions are clear and often quite simple. For example, each of the questions above is addressed by the processes in each of the six stages of the Mindful Eating Cycle™ (in order):

* Why do I eat?

* When do I eat?

* What do I eat?

* How do I eat?

* How much do I eat?

* Where do I invest my energy?

The structure provides you with the flexibility and freedom for lasting change.

Jeff Butts before

Take Jeff. At 643 pounds, he was running out of time and running out of options. He made the decision to undergo gastric bypass surgery. However, he knew that his fundamental problem wasn’t the size of his stomach, but his relationship with food. He participated in an Am I Hungry? Mindful Eating Workshop in preparation for his surgery and again afterward. He’s lost 423 pounds and attributes his tremendous success to the combination of bariatric surgery and changing his longstanding thought patterns around food. Read Jeff's success story and watch the amazing video of how he celebrated his success!

No matter what you struggle with, I can confidently say that you’ll get to the root of the issue using one or more of the processes in this structure. (If you’re interested in learning more about the Mindful Eating Cycle™, download chapter one of Eat What You Love, Love What You Eat.)

Do yourself a favor. Put away your nail clippers and get to the root of your issues so you can cultivate the habits you really want.

Michelle May, M.D.

carolr3639
01-28-2011, 08:35 AM
At 643 pounds, Jeff Butts was running out of time and running out of options.

Jeff's problems began twenty years earlier when he moved to a new job in a new state, away from his friends and family. He developed the habit of eating when he was bored, lonely, mad, or celebrating. The heavier he got, the harder it was to move - and the heavier he got. He was caught in a vicious cycle.

He tried everything to lose weight. He'd been on Medifast, Weight Watchers ("of course"), a hospital-based program of meal replacements, SlimFast, and others. "I'd start out really good and really motivated. I would lose 20-30 or 40-50 pounds then I'd fall off the wagon. I'd feel like I'd blown it so I'd just give up." He also considered bariatric surgery but was afraid of complications and as he explains, "I knew I couldn't stick to the rigid diet."

As his weight continued to increase (643 at his highest), his life became more limited. "I was getting to work but that was about it. I was using a walker and had hand controls in my vehicle because I couldn't move my foot from the accelerator to the brake."

His mother participated in an Am I Hungry?® Workshop in Ohio and called him right away. "She said, 'Jeff, you've got to find one of these workshops!'" He did. Luckily there was an Am I Hungry?® Facilitator, Lori Hurst, M.D., near his home. He signed up but didn't go. "It was the middle of winter and I was afraid I'd fall on the snow and ice. I had fallen once in my home and it had taken me three hours to get myself up."

The final straw was his online search for a power scooter. "They don't make one that was large enough to haul me around that could fit through a door." He had an epiphany. "I had to change or else."

He ran into an old friend who had had bariatric surgery. "I wouldn't have recognized her." She invited him to a picnic with the WLS Indy Support group. After talking to a lot people, he made the decision to undergo gastric bypass surgery.

However, he knew that his fundamental problem wasn’t the size of his stomach, but his relationship with food. He signed up for another Am I Hungry?® Mindful Eating Workshop prior to surgery. "Before that, I always thought I had to do this on my own." By the time the workshop was over, he felt "mentally ready."

After surgery, the weight just "fell off" for about six months, then the cravings returned. This time he asked for help right away and met with a dietetian and psychologist who helped him with journaling and positive affirmations.

He signed up for another Am I Hungry?® workshop to make his success stick. "I really lived it. I did the work. I read the chapters before and after class, and used my workbook and journal regularly." He continued to lose weight--423 pounds in all--and gain his life back.

He shares some of the most important things he's learned with Am I Hungry?

* I take the time to do a Mind-Body Scan to help me decide if I'm hungry. I can actually hear Dr. May's voice!
* I acknowledge when I'm not hungry and figure out what I am really feeling.
* I use the speed-bump technique that I learned in the workshops. I usually discover that I'm satisfied and I don't need to eat the rest.
* I can throw away food now. That never happened in the past.
* I love TFAR (thoughts > feelings > actions > results).

He attributes his tremendous success to the combination of bariatric surgery and changing his longstanding thought patterns and addiction to food.

Jeff has hit many major milestones and celebrated each one:

* After losing 314 pounds, he donated 314 pounds of dog food to a local shelter.
* When he got below 250 pounds, the max for sky diving, he jumped! "That was one for the bucket list!" Watch the amazing video!
* He did his 13th 5K on New Year's Day and for the first time, was able to run half.
* He participating in Bop to the Top, climbing 38 stories in under 19 minutes. Jeff said this is especially significant to him because, "I never need to take an elevator anywhere ever again!"
* He's dating now.

Perhaps Jeff's greatest life change has been discovering his purpose. When he lost his job last year due to the economy, he took a step back to decide what he really wanted to do. He decided to share his hard-won life lessons with others who struggle with food. He became an Am I Hungry?® Facilitator, a bariatric surgery support group leader, and soon, a certified wellness coach.

Jeff has given new meaning to "life changing"!

TamTam
01-31-2011, 06:27 PM
Just read Jeff's story! I am still in the beginning chapters of Eat What You Love, my problem is I read fast and don't take time to digest what I am reading, hence, I usually have to read a book twice to really get it, so I am going to try and read this one a little slower. Have a blessed evening.

carolr3639
02-03-2011, 09:26 AM
After 2 days of the stomach flu, I feel light! ha! Not a good way to loose weight. Got it from the grandkids....my hubby, too. So we have not been doing much. I tried to eat a little yesterday but up it came. Now I'm going to try again.

carolr3639
02-04-2011, 07:04 PM
Feeling better today. Can't eat a lot at one time which is good!!!!! Food tastes so good now where it didn't the last few days. Now if I can just stick to these smaller amounts.

JOLINA
02-07-2011, 09:35 AM
Yes! When I was dating my husband, it was effortless for me to eat normally. I had just gotten down to a very decent weight for myself, and my husband to be made me feel pretty and cherished. :D

Fast forward a few years, and life's stresses and problems--with a bad thyroid thrown in--and I've put on 130lbs since being with my husband. :(

I ended 2010 with a loss, for the whole year, of--wait for it--FIVE pounds! Yup, a lousy five pounds.

Better than my usual gain, I suppose. :dizzy:

This year I really hope to make some progress, a little more than five pounds would be nice. :lol:

Truffle...My story is the same as yours. I was skinny til my son was born the same year.
It has been a looong time to be overweight. :(
I am counting calories faithfully. I keep my daily count and what I eat in my documents.
If I don't I will go over and not lose weight for the week.
It takes dedication.
I lost 34 pounds so far in the past 10 months.
Try my method and you will lose more this year also.
And I think the thyroid problem of yours will ease up also.

:hug:

jd202
02-07-2011, 01:48 PM
Hi all--

Just joined, after spending some time looking for people discussing intuitive/normal eating. I stumbled on the concept about 5 weeks ago, after having lots 42 lbs very slowly over the preceding 16 months by just tweaking my eating habits rather than dieting. (I've dieted plenty in my life, and won't do it again.)

Anyway, I had gained 7 lbs over Christmas (went on a real binge), and was feeling like I still needed to gain control over *all* of my eating. The 42 lbs lost showed I had stumbled on a good routine, but I was still binging from time to time and also was having trouble with shoveling in "bad" foods whenever I had them.

I started looking around for solutions, and read a lot of books--"Normal Eating for Normal Weight" by Sheryl Canter and the "Rules of 'Normal Eating'" by Karen Koenig are the two books that spoke the most to me. (They each have web sites if you want more info.)

I feel like this concept is really working for me, to just eat when hungry and stop when full (with a LOT of "Am I full yet?" questioning), learning to eat much more slowly and pay attention, and to recognize that no foods are truly *bad*. Once I understood that, the need to shovel them in because I might not "allow" myself to have them again for a while completely went away. And to also recognize when emotional issues are making me want to eat, and taking the time to really look at what I'm feeling and not just head for the cupboards.

I've lost those 7 lbs I regained, and I just feel in a really good spot right now. I have a long way to go (but I've come a long way already!), but there's a piece of mind I have at this point that I've never experienced as a lifetime overeater.

(To see myself at a restaurant when I now only eat four or five french fries, and leave the rest on my plate, without having to force myself or use any willpower--how bizarre is that! :) )

Best wishes to all--

--jd

carolr3639
02-07-2011, 06:49 PM
:welcome2: jd. Sounds like you have a good grip of IE already and I'm sure you are enjoying it.

jd202
02-07-2011, 09:43 PM
:welcome2: jd. Sounds like you have a good grip of IE already and I'm sure you are enjoying it.

Thanks, Carol! I bought the Kindle version of Intuitive Eating today, and am on quite a reading binge. :) Another very good book.

Katterina
02-07-2011, 11:21 PM
Truffle...My story is the same as yours. I was skinny til my son was born the same year.
It has been a looong time to be overweight. :(
I am counting calories faithfully. I keep my daily count and what I eat in my documents.
It takes dedication.

I recently experimented with calorie counting (sort of). I journaled everything I intuitively ate for a month, only I didn't judge the foods or count the calorie totals for each day until the end of the month. I just wondered how my diet [non-diet, rather] compared to the average calorie counter's diet. I was surprised to find that I generally ranged between 1200-1700 calories with a few higher and lower spikes here and there. It seems very similar to a calorie counting "zig zag" approach, only mine was based on appetite rather than planning.

Katterina
02-07-2011, 11:27 PM
Feeling better today. Can't eat a lot at one time which is good!!!!! Food tastes so good now where it didn't the last few days. Now if I can just stick to these smaller amounts.

Glad you are feeling better! :hug: I had the same experience with taste last time I was sick. Silly me, I should have listened. I think my body was trying to tell me it wasn't going to stay down! :o

Katterina
02-07-2011, 11:32 PM
jd202 :wave::welcome3:

Pipstar
02-08-2011, 09:47 AM
Hello everyone,

I've been reading this forum for the last few weeks while work has been slow, and found some things to be really helpful. I've only got upto IE #6 though! So haven't caught up recently.

Just to give some background, i haven't dieted massively but have dabbled with slimming world a few times, and each time got sick of feeling deprived and started binging again. I've also always been a binger as my diet wehn i was young and living at home was very restrictive with the whole "don't eat that, it'll make you fat" mentality.

Since started to diet aged 20 (I'm 25 now) i actually have gained almost 4 stone. :?:

I started reading about a sort of healthier approach by raeding the original Jason Vale book Slim for Life, which made me more excited about eating more healthily, and amd eme aware of how different foods affect the body.

Finally, through reading about The Amazing Adventures of Dietgirl i discovered th term Intuitive Eating and bought the Intuitive Eating book. I've read it and enjoyed it and am starting to think in that way but can tell it is a very long process. I eat most things now and try and moderate, but try not to eat McDonalds or crisps as these are severe trigger foods for me.

Anyway just thought i;d introduce myself and say HI :)

Pip xx

jd202
02-08-2011, 10:10 AM
Hi Pip! I'm only a few hours ahead of you in terms of arriving here, but welcome! 25 is a wonderfully young age to be figuring out that diets don't work--congrats on starting this journey....

jd

Truffle
02-09-2011, 09:25 AM
I started looking around for solutions, and read a lot of books--"Normal Eating for Normal Weight" by Sheryl Canter
--jd

Hi, Jd...Are you a member of Sheryl's forum, by any chance?

I joined there a few years ago, and drift in and out from time to time.

Truffle
02-09-2011, 09:31 AM
It takes dedication.

Hi, Jolina...Good for you on losing 34lbs!

I'm afraid I've been so messed up by SOOOO many diet attempts over the last 30+ years that even just the thought of trying to count my calories would set me off.

I need to stay far away from that for now because it's too charged for me.

I've decided to stop weighing myself for awhile for the same reason.

My waistband will tell me what I need to know.

It's tempting to do the counting and the weighing though, that's for sure.

jd202
02-09-2011, 12:32 PM
Hi, Jd...Are you a member of Sheryl's forum, by any chance?

I joined there a few years ago, and drift in and out from time to time.

Hi Truffle--

Yes, I joined for a one-month stint over there, though I'm not sure if I'll fork out what is now a pretty hefty price for a continuing membership. Especially since I'm not really following the stages. But it's interesting to see peoples' paths.

JD

Pipstar
02-10-2011, 08:30 AM
Hi Guys,

Im up to IE #8 now, just catching up with you all :) I bought Beyond Chocolate two days ago and am just starting to get into it, seems like its written in an appealing way. if i discover any good tips etc i'll try and put them on here (if i can) because i know some of you over the pond were having problems getting hold of it, or it was super expensive or something.

Hope everyones doing well at the moment :carrot:i am definitely getting into it but not losing any weight. but then the times that i did lose weight didnt heal my relationship with food anyway. :nono:

One thing i have done which might hurt my IE a little is joined the weigh-in club at work. we onyl weigh once a week and donate 50p to chairty, so we'll see how that goes. I had lost 1.5 pounds and was ecstatic, but then realised that last time i weigehd i ha dbeen wearing jeans. Well dissapointing. xxx

carolr3639
02-10-2011, 09:30 AM
I've always wanted to read Beyond Chocolate but I have read so many IE books now. It is getting cheaper on Amazon.

carolr3639
02-10-2011, 06:32 PM
I'm reading a new book on IE and have been wanting to post a summary which would include a few points the author makes such as not being a member of the clean your plate club. I think there are about ten of them. Maybe tomorrow.

jd202
02-10-2011, 07:39 PM
One thing i have done which might hurt my IE a little is joined the weigh-in club at work. we onyl weigh once a week and donate 50p to chairty, so we'll see how that goes. I had lost 1.5 pounds and was ecstatic, but then realised that last time i weigehd i ha dbeen wearing jeans. Well dissapointing. xxx

LOL! Maybe you'd better donate an extra 50p next week, as penance. :)

JD

carolr3639
02-11-2011, 05:29 PM
:wave: Hi to all!

carolr3639
02-12-2011, 04:37 PM
Still haven't brought the book downstairs to copy some of the points. It is called Naturally Thin by Betheny someone. My grandkids are staying the weekend so that is keeping me occupied.

carolr3639
02-12-2011, 06:53 PM
How many rice cakes does it take to satisfy a craving for chocolate?

Five rice cakes. 7 baby carrots. 4 celery sticks. One orange. A container of light yogurt. And a Snickers® bar.

Some people describe themselves as “chocoholics.” For some this is a tongue-in-cheek way of saying that they’re really passionate about chocolate. But for others, they mean that they feel out of control when they eat it.

I’ll be the first to praise chocolate’s incredible physical properties, but that alone doesn’t explain the difficulty some people have with chocolate—and many other foods. I’ve since come to realize that my own eat-repent-repeat cycle stemmed from what I’ll call “fear-based” thinking.

You see, what you think and believe cause you to feel certain ways, which cause you to act in certain ways, which ultimately leads to specific results. In other words, your thoughts become self-fulfilling prophecies.

Beliefs/Thoughts > Feelings > Actions > Results > Beliefs/Thoughts > etc.

Let’s look at a few examples of fear-based thoughts that people have about eating chocolate that may lead to problematic behaviors—and consider a few “fearless” thoughts that can lead to more favorable results.

Fear-based thought: “Chocolate is bad.”

When you label certain foods “bad,” you’ll feel bad about yourself when you eat them. Ironically, the more you try to avoid these foods, the more power they gain over you. When you finally give in to those powerful cravings, you’ll feel guilty and out of control. You think, “I’ve already blown it I might as well keep eating,” reinforcing your belief that chocolate is bad and that you’ll lose control when you eat it.

Fearless thought: “I eat what I love and I love what I eat.”

All foods can fit into a balanced diet using the common-sense principles of balance, variety, and moderation. When you enjoy the foods you love without guilt, you’ll notice that they begin to lose their power over you and that your urge to overeat them diminishes. Over time, you’re able to eat anything, without eating everything.

Fear-based thought: “I let myself indulge in an occasional treat.”

The words “let myself”, “indulge”, and “treat” all imply scarcity, potentially causing you to stock up in anticipation of your next round of self-denial.

Fearless thought: “I eat—and live—in a way that nourishes my body, mind, heart, and spirit.”

Practicing self-care is not an indulgence, it is a necessity. Self-care means meeting your physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual needs, including the need for pleasure and enjoyment. Since we live in an abundant food culture, it is all too easy to attempt to meet many of our needs, including pleasure, by eating. Once we recognize what we’re really hungry for, food (yes, even chocolate) can serve its true purpose of fueling our fulfilling lives.

Michelle May, M.D.

carolr3639
02-16-2011, 10:22 AM
Naturally Thin by Bethenny Frankel

Your diet is a bank account....balance
You can have it all, just not all at once.there's always another meal.
Taste everything, eat nothing. Be choosy.
Pay attention..........no tv,etc.
Downsize now.
Cancel your membership in the clean your plate club.
Check yourself before you wreck yourself. No binging.
Know thyself. Customize they way you eat to fit who you are.
Get real.....concentrate on your favorite fruits, veggies, whole grains, etc.
Good for you...care for and love yourself.

carolr3639
02-18-2011, 11:17 AM
Lately, I've been really hungry in the night and early morning. Cereal and juice just doesn't fill me up. I guess I'm not really satisfied until after lunch. I've never been a big breakfast eater but I'm thinking about eating other things beside breakfast type food. I used to do that when I was young and thin. I need the high fiber cereal, though, so I feel I'd have to add the other things after I ate that. What do you think? I have maintained an almost 40lb weight loss for a couple of years but would still be happier with another 20 gone. I see a few IE authors that have been accused of promoting starvation levels of eating. I just can't do that so don't have to worry there!!!

carolr3639
02-19-2011, 11:10 AM
Got the diarrhea again but at least not the throwing up. Seems to be better today and hope it stays that way. I was afraid to eat yesterday because I had to use the bathroom each time I did eat. UGH

Katterina
02-20-2011, 03:10 AM
Lately, I've been really hungry in the night and early morning. Cereal and juice just doesn't fill me up. I guess I'm not really satisfied until after lunch. I've never been a big breakfast eater but I'm thinking about eating other things beside breakfast type food. I used to do that when I was young and thin. I need the high fiber cereal, though, so I feel I'd have to add the other things after I ate that. What do you think? I have maintained an almost 40lb weight loss for a couple of years but would still be happier with another 20 gone. I see a few IE authors that have been accused of promoting starvation levels of eating. I just can't do that so don't have to worry there!!!

I'm always very hungry in the mornings (no matter how much I eat the night before), so I always eat a decent breakfast, although I've noticed that the portions that satisfy the hunger are about the same as any other time of day.

Although we're not supposed to eat when not hungry, I do wonder about breakfast. On the extremely rare days that I don't feel hunger in the morning (and don't eat), I experience headaches and grouchiness an hour or two later instead of the more regular empty-tummy-slightly-churning hunger pangs that I am used to. This last time I woke up un-hungry, I had a cup of chai tea anyway and continued my morning. Then I was "normal" hungry 15 minutes later. I wonder if I just needed a little something to wake my hunger up? Strange.

You know, I wouldn't mind losing an extra 10 lbs. eventually. Sometimes I think about eating less, but I worry about jeopardizing my progress and getting my body used to maintaining with fewer calories. I am very happy that my weight has stabilized so well because I don't worry about gaining out of the blue like I used to. This is the most success I've ever had keeping my weight down. Eh, who knows? Maybe those last ten will still happen naturally. :)

carolr3639
02-20-2011, 10:18 AM
Katerina, I was reading your blog. Where do you live that you are 2 hr. away from a town? Wow!!! You must have a garden in the summer. ha!

carolr3639
02-20-2011, 11:00 AM
Managed to read Dec., Jan. and Feb. Very interesting.

Katterina
02-21-2011, 03:14 AM
Katerina, I was reading your blog. Where do you live that you are 2 hr. away from a town? Wow!!! You must have a garden in the summer. ha!

I live in rural Alaska. It's beautiful, but I've been here three years and am now ready for a new duty station. I probably would garden in the summers, except for the short season and my black thumb! I have been thinking of trying an Aero garden, though. :)

carolr3639
02-21-2011, 10:19 AM
My son was in Alaska for a year or so. We visited once and it was beautiful....a six hour plane ride, however. He was glad to get back and now lives in Seattle...quite a bit closer. He works for the Army Corps of Engineers.

hope for recovery
02-21-2011, 05:34 PM
Hi everybody! I am so happy I found you! I have been recovering from compulsive overeating and I landed on doing intuitive eating without even knowing it. Of course I have tried the diets and of course they did not work. I have been working on myself and emotional eating for over a year and did some junk food abstinence, after last binge almost 2 months ago (a diet consequence), I knew I cannot control food and just had to let it be what it wants to be. Scared, crying, I just ate what my body wanted and tried again one day at a time.

I am getting better, not planning, thinking and worrying about food so much, feeling light as my body does not like being stuffed and so i must listen. Weighted myself in the beginning of Feb and I was 2 pounds down from the beginning of Jan. Committing to not checking my weight until April as I have to focus on eating and not weight.

Thank you so much carol3639 for the lovely posts above about fear and the positive affirmations. I now allow myself to eat chocolate and I don't actually want it most of the time. How shocking, so shocking. I prefer apples and dried fruit! My body seems to have some superior intelligence, this letting go works!

I have some fears from fat food and creamy stuff, I think they make me fat. Experience shows that if I eat low fat, I eat a lot, if I eat normal fat, my body stops earlier.I suppose I need to admit that I am powerless over it all, I am not to control it but to eat it and trust that the right thing would happen. It is so hard tho, I just fear double cream, I don't know why, I think if I start eating it, I will eat so much and hate myself.

As for breakfast, I used to be on SBD so I cooked eggs and ricotta, as I got better i started adding cereal and fruit in it. Then i followed my body and all it wanted was nuts, dried fruit and some weetabix. That was 2 months ago, I still love it. I used to think nuts make me fat, they obviously don't. Now I buy mixed nuts and let my body choose which type it wants. Its fantastic!

I am hoping I can surrender more and just trust and let go! Thank you for being there so i can read you and have hope! Good luck everybody with enjoying food and being attuned to natural instincts!

carolr3639
02-21-2011, 10:07 PM
:welcome3: hope for recovery!

hope for recovery
02-22-2011, 07:41 AM
Thank you carolr3639! I have been finding it hard today as I ate some creamy fat stuff last night and today my body wants to chill and eat little and take it easy. I just want to be full and eat but I know this is not what my stomach wants. Just old bad unnatural eating habits. I am feeling a bit heavy today but I want to give up trying to control weight. Who on Earth decided that women should be skinny and thin I don't know. Who on Earth decided that we should control weight. I am in a weird mood today, I don't know if this is making sense but I just feel that there is no need to control weight because it should naturally be what it wants to be as long as I don't interfere with greedy emotional eating and deprieving myself.

carolr3639
02-22-2011, 03:25 PM
Your body was designed to survive times of famine, thank the Lord. So when you cut back, your metabolism slows down. When you eat between hunger and satisfaction you will gradually lose weight. The key is go eat when you are hungry and not overeat.

hope for recovery
02-23-2011, 05:05 AM
Thank you! I do need to be reminded that I cannot cheat - meaning eating less does not lead to weight loss but to slow metabolism and overeating. I just need to follow my body - I am amazed at its choice of one fruit over another, I also love salt, I think I starved myself on it over the last few months so today I add it to my food. I will just try to eat and not stuff myself.

carolr3639
02-25-2011, 11:48 AM
Looks like you don't have far to go, hope. How are you doing? I'm still trying to finish Naturally Thin but it is kind of "diety".

pattygirl63
02-25-2011, 02:17 PM
:wave:Hi Everybody,

I haven't been here in a lllooonnnggg time. I've been doing different things (diets) since I learned I had diabetes last summer. I did manage to lose a total of about 26 lbs for the yr last yr which I was pleased with. I've had the blood glucose down to normal when I eat the way my body likes me to eat and not the way a diet tells me to eat or that I shoud eat.

While I do know there are certain foods my body doesn't tolerate, I also know that I have no desire to count any thing or to eat as much or as little as a diet says (seems to set me up for failure). Also I've learned that just because one person particularly a diabetic can eat something doesn't mean that I can. Example, grains like oatmeal may help keep some diabetics bs stay normal or in normal range or keep it from going up so fast, I even showed my numbers to my doctor... my bs reading shoots up over 200 mg/dc when I eat it. If I eat the number of cals or carbs or pts some diet say I need to eat, I find am either stuffed feeling or want more and become stuffed. Perhaps IE thoughts are just too engrained in my mind. I don't know, but I can't tell sometimes if I'm really hungry or not. I thought about the books I read about people who successfully lose weight and kept it off back when I was doing IE. Many didn't so much as diet as they changed as they did what they their Lifestyle woe. So I decided that is what I prefer to do. As I think back to how I ate growing up, I realized that I am a "habit" person. A habit becomes a "Lifestyle". If I make my own habit of my own woe for my health (diabetes) then I will have my own lifestyle of eating rather than a diet that I am eating. Don't know if this makes sense to anyone else but it does to me. My doc told me that "any" diet will work if you just find the one you can live with. He also told me that he can tell who works at correcting the diabetes and who doesn't. He said the ones who do are successful. I plan to be one of those success stories and I believe IE can help me do that. Diets tell you have to eat different foods everyday and maybe you should, I don't know. I know of a woman who has been slowly losing weight and is healthy who eats some of the same foods everyday. I saw her before pics and she really looks good. So I have to wonder how much of the rules we get on diets are more hype than necessary. JMHO

I need to go back through the IE thread and do some reading to catch up on who is still here that I remember from when I was here last :wave: Carolr (I know you will have some good stuff for me to read:) )and I want to get to know the newbies I don't know. So if you don't mind, I would like to come back join in to this IE thread again.

Have a great week end and I'll see y'all next week after catching up on reading.

Thanks

carolr3639
02-25-2011, 02:26 PM
:welcome2: back Trish. I have a friend with diabetes and the doctor told him to just eat less of everything. I couldn't believe my ears. Glad to hear of your 26lb weight loss. Come often.

pattygirl63
02-25-2011, 08:25 PM
Thanks Carolr I'm glad to be back.

I've been reading the thread and came across info on Am I hungry.com and went over and read some and took the test. Boy did she peg me right on the money. I have so many books that I don't know if I can buy another one, but am definitely thinking about it. I now understand why I have such a problem with food and trying to get back to IE. As I've shared before when I was here way back when, I grew up pretty much an IE. I had to learn to eat my way to dieting and gaining weight and fighting this battle. According to the test, I have strong Instinctive eating abilities (for lack of better word), but since I'm trying to eat "good" foods and be "good" following a diet I end up with a struggle with Overeating/Restrictive Eating. If I can get rid of the Restritive ideas of diets, I think my Instinctive IE woe will finally come back into play.

carolr If you don't mind, please share with me your thoughts about it. I am going to take their newsletter and read all I can online. In your opinion, do you think that will be enough?

I'm thinking that sometimes we just have to know the "truth" to be free and hopefully this is what I needed to read about myself through this test to be free. Example, I got up this morning and really didn't feel that I needed or even wanted anything to eat, but because diets drilled into our heads that we "have to" eat breakfast... I ate a 1 egg omlette. It was good, but I really could have done without it because I got up late and knew DH would be up shortly and he would be hungry. I ended up feeding him and then making me something because it was time... NOT because I was really hungry. I didn't really enjoy the breakfast as I ended up rushing through it so I would be able to enjoy the meal I had in the oven for later. If I had taken this test before this morning, I would not have eaten the breakfast.

carolr3639
02-26-2011, 10:33 AM
Trish, I think I've read that book and wasn't too crazy about it but her emails are good. My favorite book is The Overfed Head by Rob Stevens... short but to the point. I used to be on an IE yahoo group but they seemed to be big on fat acceptance which I wasn't interested in. The originator of that group was really good but she passed it on to another.

pattygirl63
02-26-2011, 11:19 PM
Thanks Carolr. I think I will just read what I can online and maybe look for the Overfed Head.

I went to the store and bought some things that I want. Still have a tendency to thing diet and "I should eat this and not that". Guess it will take a while to get rid of those feelings.

Last Sunday a transformer blew and the lights went out and we had to end church services early. Got the weekly e-newsletter from Pastor saying that a squirrel caused. Tony sent out our weekly prayer list to our prayer partners and jokingly said for us to pray the squirrels will know the difference in an acorn and a transformer.

Pastor's wife wrote DH a note telling us the cute way how a young sibling of one the little ones in the nursery ran into the nursery last Sunday and told her "Ms Diane we don't have any lights and the grass is on fire and we have fried squirrel". Thought y'all would get a chuckle as children are so cute when they discribe things. Those of us who have worked kids or have them know the joy of listening to them and getting good laughs out of them.

Y'all have a great Sunday.

hope for recovery
02-27-2011, 03:23 PM
Hi everybody, I am back on track! I have been off for few days! Some emotional emptiness and then fear as I am visiting family soon and my head is in the food. I overate and I was not willing to listen to my body. I also have some fears of losing weight and I need to address them on daily basis somehow. I keep the weight as a protection thing and this is why I just have it on and off, on and off. But I really need to do this, I am sick on eating because of fear and because of people. I need to become natural and be the person who i am meant to be. It is hard sometimes but I am going to try and go swimming tomorrow or gym, or jogging, something like that! Surrender to my nature and know that it will work!

carolr3639
02-27-2011, 05:02 PM
Hope, I often have that feeling when visiting family. But I'm much better now that I've kept off 30 for a couple years, even though I could lose another 20. Most of the family on both sides have weight problems. Trish, my grandkids and their aunt are visiting for a week. Their mom is a nurse and works 4 nights in a row. Her dh recently left her so she is going through a hard time. They do say and do the cutest things.

pattygirl63
02-27-2011, 08:12 PM
Well, I'll try this again. I wrote a post and lost it. So here goes.

Hope for Recovery I used to think that my weight protected me from men hitting on me so I felt safe. Then one day I realized that it didn't work. It was still happening. I think my age keeps that from happening these days. Any way, look and see if your weight really is your protection from whatever you situation is. It may be protecting you and it may not be. If it is, then I would suggest seeing if something else would work better or at least just as well.

Carolr Thanks again for the suggestions on the books. I'm going to use the Am I hungy site for reading and I signed up for newsletters or whatever. I was able to get the Overfed Head book through Amazon for 1 dollar more total than it would have cost me from Bob Stevens sight before shipping and handling. Thought about joining there, but the kit is expensive. So decided to order the book and trust the Lord to help me through the book alone. I gave my email addy so maybe I'll get emails from him. I should have the book by Friday.

As I looked and read through IE#13, I saw CatholicCajun (Tammy) and Becky, but didn't see Blue. Just wondered if you know if she is trying something else? Blue if you're reading this, check in and say hello.

hope for recovery
02-28-2011, 05:23 AM
Thank you carol! I suppose with the family, they used to have all these requirements from me and I always felt that I disappoint them and upset them. I felt less than and not good enough and my aim was to please them which is something unattainable. Now I am a grown up and ok around other people but family disapproval always really gets to my self esteem. I am working on it and having some mantras that I don't need them to approve of me, I don't need to live my their values but my values. Who they are does not affect who I am, they love me very much!

I called my gran yest and she did end up saying that I should walk every day because when she walks she loses weight. Immediately I felt I am not good enough but I am working on it. It is her issues, not my issues.

Pattygirl, thank you so much for writing about the weight protection. I have had a though about it before but never got to the place, where things keep on happening regardless of how much I weight. It is such a passive aggressive way of dealing with life. If I ate because I wanted to escape from people and their criticism, they criticised me anyway because that is just who they are. If I ate to run away from responsibilities, they were still there.

If I though my weight protects me from happiness and success and gives me an excuse, then it actually doesn't. Things still happen this way, men still hit on me. It is me who goes he thinks i am fat, he won't like me. People won't like me because I am fat is such a safe zone to be in, I don't have to talk to them, I don't have to let them know me because they might actually like me and then i will not know what to do! It really is an excuse for not being happy, if I do let the weight go I might become very normal and happy and then i don't have this weight problem about me and life can flow and be wonderful! It is so confusing!

But I will try again to accept that it is ok if weight goes, I just need to eat, make effort to eat proper meals, otherwise when i start cutting down on self will, i end up overeating like over the weekend. It actually amazes me how much food really fit people eat. To me, they do seem to eat a lot of food.

have a successful day everybody! I am keeping up with morning exercise but I do need to squeeze in some cardio session and i just don't know how and when but I will do it!

pattygirl63
02-28-2011, 04:49 PM
Hope for Recovery:hug: I know exactly how you feel. I think a lot of us who have weight issues also have someone or people we've worked hard to get their approval only to realize that we can never please them. You know what I finally learned? They are unhappy people and nothing REALLY makes them happy. For some reason they don't know how to be happy unless EVERYTHING is going their way and even then they find something or someone to criticize. Now it is time to learn what makes you happy. Believe me I'm saying these things to myself as I'm saying them to you.

I shared this when I was hear way back when, but I will share it again as I've really been thinking about it since I came back to IE thread and I read the free chapter from Rob Stevens book Overfed Head.

I was never had a weight problem until I went to college. I was one of those kids who only ate because Mama would make dinner and you were expected to come in to eat. I was never one to hang around asking what or when we were going to eat. Food was one of those necessities like bathing. You just did it. I never questioned it. I never ate breakfast unless we were on trips and we ate out for breakfast while on vacation. On holidays when we would got to somebodies home or they came to ours for festivities, we didn't eat until meal was served. So food held no fascination for me one way or another. At school, I had the same lunch everyday until my senior yr. I had a ham sandwich, a pkg of chips and a carton of milk which came to 24 cents. My senior yr I started going across the street and ate a bag of chips and a coke Mon - Thurs so that Friday I could treat myself to a burger. That is when I started feeling run down. Now I realize it was probably due to the 4 days of chips and coke. Since Daddy let me have the car to go to school and then pick him up from work after, I sometimes would go to my great aunt's grocery store and have a cream puff and a coke. I didn't gain weight back then, but boy did I feel rotten.

When I went to college meals were available and everyone ate so I would eat three meals. I was active enough that it probably wouldn't have hurt me, but my friends wanted to go to the corner drugstore every night and we had either a cherry coke or shake. I'm sure that is what helped put the weight on me. When I went to live with my aunt, she insisted on 3 meals a day and I learned to eat whether I was hungry or not. I remember thinking one day when eating something I was really enjoying feeling kind of guilty because a meal would be coming up soon. I remember saying out loud to myself, "well I wouldn't have a problem if I could just eat what I wanted and not have to eat a meal later".

Last night I was reading Rob Steven's free chapter I down loaded. He said if you get up and your not hungry, but you eat any way because you think you are supposed to eat... YOU JUST OVERATE because your body didn't need it. I remember hearing my pastor say that he only eats 2 meals a day and sometimes he gets busy and forgets to eat and only eats one meal or grabs a bite of something somewhere. Then I read somewhere about a doctor who had not in eaten breakfast in many yrs. Can't remember how long now. So now I wonder just how much we are told about what we "should" do to lose weight and be healthy is true. I can't wait to get my book Friday and start reading it.

pattygirl63
02-28-2011, 05:03 PM
In light of what I shared with Hope of Recovery above, I woke up this morning thinking about what I had read and noticed that I was not hungry. So I went back to sleep. When I got up later, I realized that I still was not hungry. My "diet thinking" hit and I thought I should eat something but wasn't hungry. Had that little argument run in my head for a while and finally decided to open a small container of Peach Activia that I had bought DH and he didn't like the peach. Since I really couldn't tell if I was hungry or not by then I opened it and ate 3 bites and realized that I didn't need any more. I put foil over it and put it back in fridge until another time. Didn't eat anything until about 2:30. Didn't have what I wanted so made me a nice big salad which I totally enjoyed, ate almost all of a broccoli and noodle cheese tv dinner I had in the freezer and some Girl Scout choc mint cookies I bought the other day and I am more than satisfied. I did take out a pork chop for later that I've been hungry for. May have it later if I still want it and if not I'll save it for tomorrow or some other time.

I also got my Joyce Meyer book out to read called "Eat and Stay Thin". I've read it 2x before but think I'm ready for it more now. I lost it once before and couldn't find it on her website so may be out of print as she has a couple of other ones now. I've got those and will be reading them as I get back into IE. Looks like IEers have to unlearn some things to learn how to be thinner.

Hope everyone is having a good day and good weather. We are supposed to have thunderstorms with high winds later today.

carolr3639
02-28-2011, 11:39 PM
Trish, I read Joyce Meyer's book once. I didn't think it was IE, however. You can get most any book on Amazon, even ones that are out of print.

Pipstar
03-01-2011, 11:42 AM
Hi guys it's me again,

Up to ie #11 now, you guys write a lot! I am still trying to ie to an extent, but today has been a bit crazy with PMT (i hope. hoping its not a baby as im a bit late eek). But im taking comfort in something i read in the thread way back, that when a woman has PMT/S she needs an extra 300 calories more, so i suppose it would make sense to be more hungry.

Ive realised i need to post a lot more so that i can get my signature up and running with a little ticker :D The diet club at work hasnt bothered me as much as i thought, as im actual taking a cheeky little delight in losing weight while still eating what i want! I was 192lbs when i started and im down to 187lbs now even though ive not been moving as much as i ought to. So all in all pretty much enjoying it.

Keep going with this everyone it is awesome and it seems to work!

And having read all the posts leading up to ie 11 and seeing faces come and go its lovely to see some of the same people still here, Carolr and Trish :)

:wave: everyone

xx

carolr3639
03-01-2011, 07:08 PM
Post away, Pipstar. Way to go on losing the 5lb.

pattygirl63
03-02-2011, 12:30 AM
Well, I've been feeling really weird today as my blood sugar has really been high the past few days. I found out that the diabetic medicine I'm on does better not only with a low carb diet, but that there are certain foods that make it either uneffective or less effective. For example I can't have grapefruit or grapefruit juice with it. I don't think it happens with everybody, but it causes me to go into lactic acidosis (think I said that right). Although there are foods I cannot eat while taking Metformin, the fact is that I still want to do IE. I believe that even eating low carb can still be intuitively. So if y'all don't mind, I think I'll still hang out here. I look forward to getting my book. I believe even eating low carb should be done only when hungry and eat only the low carb foods you want and love and eat until satisfied.

Have a good Wednesday and I hope my FBS is down considerably tomorrow. They say it takes a few days to get it back down.

Later.

hope for recovery
03-02-2011, 02:16 PM
Hi everybody! Thank you for what you have shared with me above and thank you for being there so we can all do it together. I hit a rock bottom yesterday with not checking my weight. I am so used to identifying myself with my weight that i was really lost and confused that I just did not know whether i am thinner than before or not. It is the sense of control that comes with it and i was out of control so it was scary. But I didn't check my weight because it does not define who i am. What i would like to do is love my body even when i am feeling fat. I will be feeling fat and bloated every now and then because i am a woman.

What i would like is to love my body just like it is, to connect with it more and to care for it even more and even better.

Thank you reminding me about the unhappy people pattygirl63. There really are a lot of unhappy people out there and i am super sensitive. My self-esteem has been crushed over the years and i only feel worthy sometimes only if people like me. But this is silly, i have lost myself, I want to stop this, no matter what people think.

pattygirl, I do overeat then, it is so confusing trying to find out when my body wants food and when it doesn't. I really need to work at listening to it properly. There is no other way. Sometimes i wake up and i think i need breakfast but i am not always hungry. At dinner I ate ok but I drank a glass of water with it... why on Earth did i do that, I was not thirsty. Now I feel very full and uncomfortable.

Overall, I am positive, I had cereals leftovers and trust me that hardly ever happens. So i shall carry on towards being close with myself and knowing my needs. Not checking weight soon, no matter what.

Have a lovely day everyone! Hope we all get aligned with our bodies and follow them with love and care to the best that we can!

carolr3639
03-02-2011, 02:50 PM
I believe even eating low carb should be done only when hungry and eat only the low carb foods you want and love and eat until satisfied.
Later.

Me, too.

pattygirl63
03-02-2011, 04:48 PM
Hope for Recovery :hug: Your post brought tears to my eyes. I am 67 yrs old and have felt that way most of my life. Strange even when I was thin I felt that way. My Mother was a beautiful woman. She died when she was 65 and I look just like her always did and can look in the mirror and see her. The problem is I don't see me as even being pretty although I've had husbands who thought I was. My Daddy and I weren't close until after she died and that was because I thought he didn't like me and that he thought I was ugly. I'll never forget the day we were talking and I don't know what I said to him, but his response was "I don't know what ever made you think you were ugly." I never could tell him that he always made me feel that way. As we've grown close through the years, I've learned that he probably didn't think I was ugly... I looked like Mama, but I am just like him and he probably hated the things he saw in me that he hated about himself.

Now I try to do what is best for me. Somehow I hope you can learn to forgive and let go the things said to you or the way those who hurt you make you feel. Then I pray that somehow you can learn to love yourself and be good to yourself because you deserve to love yourself and to take care of you. :hug:and prayers coming your way.

Carolr :wave: You are still a real inspiration to me. Hope you are feeling well.

Have a great evening everyone.

carolr3639
03-03-2011, 10:30 AM
Do you eat at night before bed if you are hungry or do you just go to bed kind of hungry? I can never decide what to do. Sometimes I eat and wish I hadn't. Another thing, sometimes I don't realize that I am hungry until I take a few bites. Ever feel like that........then it tastes so good so I know I must have been hungry. This is usually when I have waited too long such as putting off eating to finish shopping.

TamTam
03-03-2011, 05:09 PM
Hello Ladies! Sorry been gone for a bit, been really busy. I am sick again with the same horrible cough I had at Christmas time, so I am now in the process of coughing up the lung that I had left and I love this time of year but I don't know if I can handle the sneezing any more! Anyway eating on and off again. I hope all of you have been well, will try and post more often. Have a blessed evening.

pattygirl63
03-03-2011, 07:07 PM
Do you eat at night before bed if you are hungry or do you just go to bed kind of hungry? I can never decide what to do. Sometimes I eat and wish I hadn't. Another thing, sometimes I don't realize that I am hungry until I take a few bites. Ever feel like that........then it tastes so good so I know I must have been hungry. This is usually when I have waited too long such as putting off eating to finish shopping.

Some diabetics eat just before they go to bed to keep from having a high Fasting BS reading in the morning. That doesn't work for me. I've always been a night eater so I eat a snack about a 8ish or so and that seems to work for me. Now I that I eat low carb if I feel really, really hungry I will wrap a slice of ham with lettuce and eat it. But I don't usually have to. I also go pretty long time between eating times since I'm on low carb. I really have a hard time knowing when I'm really hungry at times. I attribute that to diets I've been one that makes you think you have to eat every 3 or 4 hours. I have managed not to eat breakfast until I am hungry since going back to IE. Now when I'm going somewhere and don't know when I'll be back home like this morning, I went ahead and ate a couple of scrambled eggs to hold me over. That was about 9 am and didn't get hungry again until after 2. DH and I don't eat together much any more since we eat different diets. He eats what he wants when he is hungry and if I'm not hungry when he is, I wait and eat later.

Tammy Sounds like you have had a time of it and still are. Sure hope you get better soon.

My blood sugar reading has come down and been below where the doc said it has to be to be safe. I want to get it under 100 mg/dl and it has been 109 for 2 days. IE and low carbing are working out very well.

Hope everyone is having a good IE day.

Pipstar
03-04-2011, 04:01 AM
Trish thats brilliant :) I'm really glad you've managed to find something healthy that works for you. When you low carb and ie do you still feel like you have enough freedom or does it ever feel like a diet?

CatholicCajun i really hope you feel better soon. Keep an eye on thatn cough in case you have an infection!

Hope everyone has a really good day :)

xxx

TamTam
03-04-2011, 07:57 AM
Thanks Trish and Pipstar! I assume I got the cough from a customer, that's probably where I got it from for Christmas, the allergies are 24/7 so the sneezing is nothing new. I SHOULD have a better weigh in this week due to being sick and not having much of an appetite, but will have to wait till I am better to really see the results. Headed out for work, have a blessed day all!

pattygirl63
03-05-2011, 12:57 AM
Pipstar I actually have found that the IE and low carb work great together. I don't feel like I'm missing anything because I'm kind of focusing on the foods I can have that have 0-3 cargs. The one thing I missed the most was bread, but the Atkins thread had a recipe for a 1 Minute Muffin made from flaxseed that is only 1.5 g and it is a great substitute for the bread. I use it to make toast or sandwiches. I love it for breakfast to make a low carb type of McMuffin. I even found a milk reg and choc that only has 3 g of carbs. Those were the main things I would have missed. I'm thrilled that my FBS has been 109 mg/dl 3 days now. I've been checking it after meals too and even had an 84 mg/dl after breakfast. So I feel blessed to learn all the things I have this week. I do feel free and don't feel like I'm on a diet.

Tammy I always loved working where I was around customers like you do, but it does put you out there around sick people. I usually have to take sinus meds during allergy season and really don't look forward to it. I am allergic to cedar which I don't think we have any around here, but I also am allergic to some grass when it is freshly cut. Thank God I haven't been allergic to ours.

Got my book today and started reading it. Got through about half the 1st chapter.

Carolr and all others reading:wave:

carolr3639
03-05-2011, 10:04 AM
Patty, is that the Tribole, Resch book you are reading?

pattygirl63
03-05-2011, 04:08 PM
No, Carolr, although I do have that book. The Overfed Head by Rob Stevens is the book I'm reading right now. Quite interesting. While I think I have to use the low carb diet (not necessarily Atkins), I believe I can do this the way he says to do it. I like the 3 formula idea of 1) Eat only when you're hungry 2) Eat exactly what you like eating & 3) Stop eating when you stop being hungry. I like #3 better than IE's stop when you'r satisfied because sometimes I don't know when I'm satisfied, but I am able to recognize not being hungry any more.

I've got to call the doctor's office next week because allergy season is coming up and I can't take the meds I've been taking because when I take it my FBS goes up. I had to take one last night and FBS was 149 mb/dl. However, it was 85 just before our main meal. So this woe is still working. I am going to check online to see if I find any info on what can be taken with it.

pattygirl63
03-06-2011, 10:49 PM
I have 2 more chapters to read in The Overfed Head and it really makes a lot of since. I love the name Thintuition. Been trying to learn to recognize when I'm hungry. Not sure sometimes if I'm hungry or just want something. Maybe the last 2 chapters will help me more with this. Any way I don't think I have eaten as much as I usually do.

Hope everyone has had a good weekend.

carolr3639
03-07-2011, 10:05 AM
I've been rereading that book, too, Trish. I think it is the one that really got me started on this WOE. I didn't learn a whole lot more from any others I read. It's strange, however, I read Diets Don't Work, the book that Rob Stevens read which got him motivated, and it really didn't convince me like his book did.

Katterina
03-07-2011, 02:32 PM
I liked Overfed Head. Very straight forward. The author wrote that once he starts to realize he is satisfied, he takes one or two more bites and is done. I do the same thing, but I always felt guilty about it until I read that. :)

TamTam
03-07-2011, 03:14 PM
Hello all. Weighed in Saturday, loss a pound, so I am happy about that. We are off today and closed tomorrow due to Mardi Gras, we have not been to a parade in about 10 years, but we always close because it's not a good idea with all the drunks and costumed people running amuck and yet it's better and saner down where we live than in New Orleans, so we will enjoy our 2 days off. Have a blessed day.

carolr3639
03-07-2011, 03:26 PM
CC, have a great two days off!! I was just going back 5 years ago to the first IE thread. Kind of interesting. http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/la-weight-loss/90266-intuitive-eating.html

pattygirl63
03-07-2011, 10:16 PM
I finished the book today and very impressive. I am trying to figure out when I'm hungry and when not. I didn't eat breakfast today. Interesting thing as I took my FBS just before I did eat around 1ish and my FBS was 99mg/dl first time it's been below 100. I didn't eat again until about 8ish. Then I think I ate 1 or 2 bites too many. I keep having these "I should eat this or that" thoughts. Boy it is so hard to get rid of those "diet" thoughts. I think that is going to take me a while to get rid of those "diet" thoughts and the feelings of "guilt".

Catholic Cajun Enjoy your time off.

Carolr & Katterina and anyone else reading this :wave:

carolr3639
03-08-2011, 10:13 AM
Trish, even after 5 years at IE I still have those thoughts about good and bad foods. I wonder if they will ever go away.

pattygirl63
03-08-2011, 04:50 PM
Last night I just knew that this wasn't working nor was it going to. So I got out my South Beach info and had planned to get up and start it today. I guess the "diet" thing was going on. My weight was down a lb from yesterday. While my FBG was up a little this morning however my BP was fine. I usually have problems going to potty on low carb, but now that I'm doing IE the "Thintuition" way even that is working great. Didn't switch to SB, still staying with this Thintuition IE, I just have to get my head around this stuff. Since I've been dieting for 45+ yrs, I guess is going to take a while. What is going to help, I think, is that finally "food" isn't occupying my mind ALL THE TIME any more. What freedom. It really feels good.

carolr3639
03-08-2011, 07:31 PM
Way to go Trish!!!!

pattygirl63
03-09-2011, 01:12 PM
Well today was my BSF morning so I ate a couple of pieces of toast before I left only because I wasn't sure how I would do away from home. I wasn't really hungry but knew I wouldn't be around food when I was. Curious, how do you handle those situations? What I don't like about doing that is that it seemed to set me to where I was hungry when I came home and had a bite. Now it is time to cook dinner for DH. I am making my favorite and I have to tell you because it isn't usually on any diet, I know I'm going to feel guilty eating it since I'm feeling that a little bit thinking about eating it. However, I'm going to do my best to slow down and really enjoy it.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Pipstar
03-09-2011, 01:58 PM
Hi guys :) Me again,

Hows everyone doing? Hello everybody :wave:I am so stuffed today eek! I ate lunch at McDonalds and then abotu an hour later ate the massive pasta box i bought in for my lunch. The perils of working in town so near to so much temptation. I also had a massive piece of Baklava.

And now i remember how bad it feels to be stuffed, yuck. That pasta was so yum though! Wholegrain pasta with pesto, chopped up grilled bacon, cheese and broccolli. But it would ahve probably been even tastier if i was actually hungry! :nono:

Too full ouch.

I did get weighed today though and ive managed (somehow) to again maintain my 4.5lbs weight loss. Just need now to really focus on what IE is all about, and not boredom eat. I think its good to write on here as well, because its reminding me how crappy being stuffed feels. McDonalds makes me feel rotten too yeuch.

So, goals for this week are to try and eat when hungry and only until satisfied and get another little exercise session in as well :carrot:

xxx

pattygirl63
03-09-2011, 05:11 PM
PipstarThis really is a learning experience. I ate my favorite that I fixed at lunch... fried chicken and you know what, it just didn't taste as good as I remember. I ended up eating some other things and they just made me feel miserable as well.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do next Wednesday, but will have to plan differently. I get up around 6 am on Wednesday and I'm not hungry that early. I think I shouldn't have eaten this morning. Funny I remember Daddy saying when I was young that he did okay if he didn't eat. He said that he would have done better not eating breakfast becaue once he ate breakfast he wanted to eat. I think I'm like my Daddy. When I'm at home, I don't eat breakfast; don't even have a desire for it. I will definitely have to figure something else out next week. I think I must be afraid of getting hungry before I get back home. I don't think it would bother me if I didn't have diabetes. I think I'm just afraid of getting the jitters etc. Any way, I'll work on it and think about it.

carolr3639
03-09-2011, 06:59 PM
Cooking dinner for DH can be a problem. By night, I'm ususally not that hungry but he is. So I make a good dinner and then try to eat just a little bit. I can always have more if I'm hungry. Even when I'm having company they never notice that I'm eating just a little. At least they never say anything. My biggest problem is that I love sweets, especially chocolate. But I've lost 30lb and kept it off and think all this will even out. Yesterday I had a half a can of asparagus for the first time in a long time. I forget about some of the foods I really like because I don't think DH will care for them.

pattygirl63
03-09-2011, 08:43 PM
Even when I'm having company they never notice that I'm eating just a little. At least they never say anything. My biggest problem is that I love sweets, especially chocolate. But I've lost 30lb and kept it off and think all this will even out. Yesterday I had a half a can of asparagus for the first time in a long time. I forget about some of the foods I really like because I don't think DH will care for them.

Recently I was thinking about the night we went to the church Christmas party. I ate very little that night. I ate a bite or 2 of some of the foods I wanted and I even had a bite or 2 of a couple of sweets that friends had made. As I thought back to that night, we all seemed to just enjoy each others company so much that no one really noticed what anyone ate.

I think that I also have to forget about my old favorites too because they never taste the way I think they will. I have to learn to eat what I want at the moment and forget about things of the past.

Thanks for sharing. Appreciate it as it hit where I am.

Pipstar
03-10-2011, 04:53 AM
Thanks guys :hug: i know its only a learning experience and to expect blips in the road.

Mmmm canned asparagus. I like my asparagus steamed but forgot about canned. Maybe its hard to come by in the UK? I lived in Saudi Arabia as a child and im sure most of our food came from the US. The canned goods did anyway.

So its a fresh new day today. Not even had breakfast yet as been looking at what you two said... i do think it starts off the hunger cycle. But i am a little hungry now.

I've realised something else too which makes this difficult: I am afraid of hunger. I really dont like how hungry feels. And as soon as i feel that shakey low-blood sugar feeling i panic and grab the first piece of food i can find, which is inevitably convenient high fat rubbish. Also, i go from full to empty quickly with no warning and usually have very few reliable body cues in between.

Also, this whole thing of "eat the things you love rather than the things you think you should be eating" i find difficult as well, because if i only eat when im hungry, i wont always want to eat fruit and veg, and if i eat what i want i wont be hungry for them afterwards, and this means i probably wont be geting all the essential nutrients i need to be well and feel good. This means i will probably be tired and feel crappy, and then crave foods with high sugar, caffeine etc to help perk me up, thus creating an nasty vicious cycle.

I also get incredibly frustrated when it takes a long time to get hungry, especially in the day in the office if i have a treat and i want to eat it but i cant because im not hungry. I get really mad with my stomach then. :carrot:And other times i wish i could just eat until im stuffed so i can forget about food for the rest of the day as i dont get hungry until the following morning if i do this late afternoon.

Think i need some more inspiration! Maybe i will search out this Overfed Head book you all love :)

xxx

pattygirl63
03-10-2011, 01:05 PM
Pipstar I know this is quite scary. When I first started IE, it seemed that all I wanted was the so called "junk" foods and sometimes I still do. I think this is because we a deprived of those things we really like or maybe I should say "think" we love or like because most "diets" say "you can't eat that". You will find that eventually they will not have the power they have when dieting. Like I said, I always loved fried chicken but it just doesn't taste the same any more. I used to think I couldn't live without mashed potatoes, but they aren't quite as good as they used to be. Now and thing I will get hungry for these things and try them, but usually they don't satisfy me any more. One thing I think that helps is that I moved and we don't have my favorite franchise for the fried chicken I always loved so that helps. However, I'm going home sometime this spring and it will be interesting to see if I think it tastes as good now. My family always plans to have it when I'm home because they know it is my favorite.

So be patient with yourself. I've always heard that we need to be 90% OP and 10% off. However, on IE there is no OP/Off plan.

Hope you have a good day.

alkiepop
03-10-2011, 01:22 PM
slimming world - does anyone know what they base there syns on...i .e aloires,fat,sugar salt??? im trying to make a food diary on my black berry with excel sheets and stuff.,..so need to know how the do there point system...please let me know...also...please check my blog! x

carolr3639
03-10-2011, 01:39 PM
Today I made about 500 ham balls for a Bible conference coming up in 2 weeks. Another girl and I worked together. Funny thing is, all I've wanted to eat today is cereal and orange juice!

pattygirl63
03-10-2011, 07:34 PM
DH had a dental appt that took way to long. I took the book Life without Bread and read it. Didn't read the parts that didn't apply to me and DH or the things I had read other place. Afterward, we went to eat at Hardee's and I had Taco salad. I have to tell you that it tasted even better than I expected. The nice thing is that after reading what I did in the book I felt so much more comfortable eating it. I always loved these but never go any place where they serve them. DH had his hamburger and I had what I wanted. Ummm good. Didn't overeat either. At what I wanted and ditched the rest. It has been a great low carb IE style day. Haven't been real hungry today.

Carolr I don't think I've ever had ham balls. Sounds good. I think it is great that you didn't feel like you needed to eat the ham balls, but that you could eat cereal and juice that you wanted.

carolr3639
03-11-2011, 11:31 AM
The taco salad sounds good, Trish. Haven't had that in ages. Just realized that these threads are kind of like a diary of sorts. I've been rereading some of them. Helps me remember where I've been.

pattygirl63
03-11-2011, 02:35 PM
Carolr It was good, but I'm paying today with swelling. Must have had loads of salt. Maybe I need to go back and do some reading as well.

Terrible about the earthquake and tsunamies. Hope everyone and theirs are safe. I have relatives in Hawaii and on the west coast. Sure pray they are safe.

TamTam
03-11-2011, 07:32 PM
Last night I just knew that this wasn't working nor was it going to. So I got out my South Beach info and had planned to get up and start it today. I guess the "diet" thing was going on. My weight was down a lb from yesterday. While my FBG was up a little this morning however my BP was fine. I usually have problems going to potty on low carb, but now that I'm doing IE the "Thintuition" way even that is working great. Didn't switch to SB, still staying with this Thintuition IE, I just have to get my head around this stuff. Since I've been dieting for 45+ yrs, I guess is going to take a while. What is going to help, I think, is that finally "food" isn't occupying my mind ALL THE TIME any more. What freedom. It really feels good.

I think we "professional" dieters can relate. We spend so many years on the diet mentality that it's hard to get all the stuff out of our heads, I still find myself thinking about fat grams and calories. I liked the OVerfed Head very much, very simple to understand. I truly believe that Diets Don't Work, they may work in the short term, but eventually we just give up on them especially when all you hear yourself say, I can't have this....I can't have that.....I really want this, but...... Man would I give anything to eat that again......,etc. I much prefer I can have "it all" as long as I am hungry and I stop when I am full. Does this make sense? :?:

Well today was my BSF morning so I ate a couple of pieces of toast before I left only because I wasn't sure how I would do away from home. I wasn't really hungry but knew I wouldn't be around food when I was. Curious, how do you handle those situations? What I don't like about doing that is that it seemed to set me to where I was hungry when I came home and had a bite. Now it is time to cook dinner for DH. I am making my favorite and I have to tell you because it isn't usually on any diet, I know I'm going to feel guilty eating it since I'm feeling that a little bit thinking about eating it. However, I'm going to do my best to slow down and really enjoy it.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Hello again! I totally understand about the guilt of eating what you enjoy, it's like being set free from a prison, but you feel guilty for your freedom. Enjoy your food and eat it slowly, take small bites and drink between bites.

pattygirl63
03-11-2011, 08:48 PM
Tammy I loved that "Professional dieters". I have definitely been one of those. Oh how I hope I can retire and be free of that stupid guilt.

Y'all have a good weekend.

TamTam
03-12-2011, 07:56 AM
I know Trish, praying that we can all get rid of the unhealthy guilt we feel just because we are eating something we truly enjoy. Have a blessed day. Tammy

Hubby and I had our weekly weigh in today. I stayed the same, he because of being sick lost 3 pounds. of course I was sick too, but as you can see it did not affect my weight. Well at least no gain!

pattygirl63
03-12-2011, 11:06 AM
Darn those men the stinkers. They always do better than us women with the weight loss. You did good though staying the same... no gain. Maybe your loss will show up next time. You have a blessed Saturday as well.

TamTam
03-12-2011, 03:15 PM
Thanks Trish. We were both sick, but I guess it affected him differently than it did me. Of course men always lose more and faster than women. :hug:

carolr3639
03-12-2011, 04:30 PM
Years ago my DH and I went on a diet and didn't weigh for a month....he lost 21lb and I lost 7. Seven was really a good loss but compared to him.....I was devastated. Never did that again.

TamTam
03-12-2011, 06:52 PM
Years ago my DH and I went on a diet and didn't weigh for a month....he lost 21lb and I lost 7. Seven was really a good loss but compared to him.....I was devastated. Never did that again.

Yep, been there done that!:D

JDTH
03-12-2011, 07:49 PM
Random question....do you have to be a member for a certain amount of time before you can post a new thread?

TamTam
03-13-2011, 01:57 PM
Random question....do you have to be a member for a certain amount of time before you can post a new thread?

Not as far as I know, I think you can start one as soon as you are approved. Have a blessed day.:)

carolr3639
03-14-2011, 10:45 AM
Had a long day yesterday so I'm tired today and wondering if I'll get ANYTHING done. ha! Fixed a one minute muffin this morning because I'm trying to find things I like that have a lot of fiber. I like Fiber One cereal but I think I've been eating that for about 2 months straight. Yesterday we were away from home so no problem with eating. Had cereal for bk, soup at Culver's for lunch and a sandwich, carrots, half an orange and a small bag of chips for supper. No dessert at all because nothing looked particularly good. I'm a big sweet fan but it has to be the right one.ha!

TamTam
03-14-2011, 05:42 PM
Well Carol, I say good for you for not eating dessert just because it's there! And it should be the right one, Lightweigh taught us, if it's not right DON"T EAT IT. So I say good for you.

pattygirl63
03-14-2011, 07:39 PM
Carolr I eat the 1 minute muffin. Had it last night with cream cheese and cinnamon on it. Was pretty good. Good for you not eating dessert becaue nothing was right for you. You have come a long way.

Tammy and others reading Hello. Hope everyone is doing well.

carolr3639
03-15-2011, 12:17 PM
I think spring is almost here. Accuweather says mostly fifties for the next 2 weeks. Our Bible conference is a week from Fri. and though I only have to drive twenty minutes, it is early in the morning and I'd rather there was no snow to contend with. We make meals for about 260 Sat. and Sun. Fun but exhausting. The actual meeting is on Sat. and Sun. but there is a prayer meeting on Fri. night. We usually have a houseful of guests, too, but I'm usually at the school and in bed early so I can get up early. My poor Dh has to take care of breakfast....usually just cereal or breakfast casserole.

TamTam
03-15-2011, 12:21 PM
Hello Ladies! Just a quick check in. Our weather is so beautiful, wish it would last all year, I love spring! My eating is better, but as always, could be improved, my goal is to try and eat smaller portions, not worrying about what I eat but more about how much I eat. Have a blessed day.

carolr3639
03-15-2011, 02:53 PM
CC, that's a great goal!

pattygirl63
03-15-2011, 05:11 PM
Carolr I pray you have good weather for your Bible conference. Sounds like a lot of work for everyone involved, but very much worth it. Our church is small and still in growing stage. We've purchased land, but still trying to get loan to build. The economy doesn't help. Any way some of the women have complained that we have no place to gather as we all miss that fellowship. Got email this morning they are planning a brunch the 1st Saturday of April at church office. I really appreciate the women in our church like you who always do the cooking. Doesn't seem to be my talent any more.

Tammy We are going to have that beautiful weather starting Friday and it will be a wonderful weekend. We too will have to enjoy it because the rain season will start soon.

My hunger and cravings seems to have settled down. I seem to be setting into being hungry for foods that are good to keep blood sugar low. Strange how our bodies will ask for the right foods if we let it AND learn to listen.

carolr3639
03-16-2011, 05:02 PM
My hunger and cravings seems to have settled down. I seem to be setting into being hungry for foods that are good to keep blood sugar low. Strange how our bodies will ask for the right foods if we let it AND learn to listen.

Yours are settling down, mine seem to be increasing. Can't always figure out why.

pattygirl63
03-17-2011, 04:47 PM
Carolr Maybe it goes in cycles. Be interesting to see how it goes. Or maybe we are both being normal and don't realize it.:?: I don't think I remember what normal really felt like.LOL

carolr3639
03-18-2011, 10:40 AM
Sometimes I would like to lose a quick ten pounds....Dd's wedding coming up. But I know what happens after that.........I gain it back quick plus more. Plus I don't like starving anymore.

hope for recovery
03-18-2011, 05:17 PM
Hi everybody! Hope it is all going ok. I have been away from here for some time, relatively good with my eating. I am trying to finally think Progress, not perfection. Sometimes I do lose willingness like last week when i went away and it was ... I just was not willing not to eat those cakes despite being full. But it is a progress from before because i also ate the salads and the fruit that my body wanted to eat. I have been a bit ill last few days so I lost appetite and ate really basic, simple food. Have been bloated and i think it might be because i eat a range of foods at one time, something i have never done before. And now i think i might have my anorexic head on, which is getting obsessed by how limited my food is. And I know that after depriving, here comes the big eating. So I am willing to just eat and trust my body, eat anything my body wants and believe that there will come a point when i am full and that it will self-regulate itself. Even if my body carries on eating this simple food like toast, rice and peas, lentil soup, fruits. I do feel happy to be lighter and not stuffed. It feels a bit like a break from eating like crazy. So if my body wants that - i will do it, if my body wants to eat a lot, i will do it.

I know from experience that my body does not like junk food and processed food because it does not get anything from them. I just need to make a decision to follow it!

I am going away again next week, out of my comfort and my head is replaying past situations of overeating on holidays. But i am different now and let's just wait and see what happens.

Wishing you all a good weekend!

carolr3639
03-19-2011, 11:41 AM
Hope, that was very interesting. Let us know how things go next week.

carolr3639
03-21-2011, 10:16 AM
Nothing tasted very good yesterday. Had a nice ham dinner for company and at least they liked it. Had soup in the evening but wish I wouldn't have. Just couldn't think of anything that tasted good. Even the brownies that were good didn't taste that good. I think I didn't let myself get hungry enough.

carolr3639
03-21-2011, 05:24 PM
Just had a banana and it tasted sooo good! Guess what.........I was hungry!!!

TamTam
03-22-2011, 12:17 PM
Hello Carol. I find that when you are hungry food taste so much better and a Lightweigh friend pointed out something to me, the more you eat the less good the food taste, and I payed attention to my eating and you know, she was right, the last bite did not taste nearly as good ad the first bite! Have a blessed day. Tammy

carolr3639
03-23-2011, 02:30 PM
On that note, CC, I have been eating only a couple bites at a time today. I feel good. Probably won't be here much after Fri. as we have a Bible conference this weekend and I help cook for 300. It's fun to see so many people out to here God's word.

TamTam
03-23-2011, 06:35 PM
Well Carol I sure hope you enjoy your Bible Conference!

carolr3639
03-24-2011, 10:38 AM
I had a really good day yesterday. I stuck to eating a few bites at a time and remained good and hungry all day. Then at night we went to Red Lobster and I had a Maine lobster tail, salad and baked potato. You can do that you know even though that combo is not on the menu. That's exactly what I wanted and it was just enough.