100 lb. Club - Anyone else give up drinking entirely?

Krizstyling
11-04-2010, 01:25 PM
So I've read about a lot of people not being able to give it up. I can understand that, but I'm wondering how many of you have and had success in doing so?

I haven't had a drink in over 3months. (including my birthday). Living in NYC it is HARD, I mean there is a happy hour after work EVERY SINGLE DAY! But I sip on water and people just assume it's straight vodka...so whatevz.

Anyway, I'm wondering how many of you have done this and had success. Do you find you are losing more by not drinking?

I was always a BIG drinker. I cannot imagine a birthday since I was 21 where I didn't throw up, I must say it was nice this year not to do that =) I never considered myself an alcoholic, hey, I am not having cravings or anything of that sort. =) But, just wondering if you think this really helps with losing weight for YOU?

Also, I've given up drinking soda (i've never really liked it anyway) or tea or anythinggggg of that sort. I was wondering if I'm alone here too?? =) I only drink milk and that is only AFTER a work out.

sacha
11-04-2010, 01:27 PM
I stopped in June 2009 and haven't had any since. Granted, I was pregnant for 9 of those months which made it easy, but I chose not to continue after. Why? Alcohol helps me make poor food choices. I would rather have 300 calories of food than 300 calories of 1-2 drinks.

I can't say if it helped me lose or not (because I was obviously gaining weight for the pregnancy) but I can certainly say that my judgment in restaurants is better without alcohol.

bargoo
11-04-2010, 01:31 PM
I stopped drinking looong ago and find I still have a good time. I order a 7UP or plain tonic with a twist and nobody really cares what is in my glass.

carter
11-04-2010, 01:37 PM
I love drinking. When I was not being mindful of what went into my pie-hole, I drank a nice double 4 or 5 nights a week. That's not a ton of drinking but enough that it's hard to make room for in a calorie-counting plan.

I haven't eliminated it completely, but most times when faced with the option I decide it's not worth the calories, and pass on it. I miss it, but not enough that it's particularly painful to forego it.

The other night I was out with my partner trying to decide whether to order a drink - and neither of us could remember the last time I'd had a drink. So, yeah, while not completely eliminated I guess as practical matter I've given it up except for very occasional drinks. I just think about it in terms of the calories and it's pretty easy to pass on it.

Crystalx5
11-04-2010, 01:41 PM
I used to drink quite a bit. Quit cold turkey and now can barely handle a bottle of beer lol. I have no clue if it helped with weight loss or not, as I made the effort to start losing weight before I quit drinking so...? I'm going to say yes, though, as I do eat more now than I did when I drank

matt_H
11-04-2010, 01:43 PM
I've had my share of problems with alcohol. I go through periods where it is under control and other periods when it is not. Luckily, I'm fine abstaining but I do not too very well with moderation. The problem with drinking for me is it compounds the weight issues because I always want to get something to eat that is horrible for me afterwards.

So far it has been about a month since not drinking. If I don't go to bars I have no reason to drink as I never liked to drink in my apartment.

It definitely has helped me lose weight.

findingfawn
11-04-2010, 01:44 PM
I gave up drinking not long after I turned 21. A good dose of alcohol poisoning was enough to make me stop. Now there are times when I will have *a* drink, but really I can count on my 2 hands the number of those single drinks I have had in the past 13 years (yes, 21 was 13 years ago for me *gulp*).

mmel3283
11-04-2010, 01:52 PM
I used to drink ALL the time. And then I got pregnant and now...I rarely drink...I can't even remember the last time I had a drink. Maybe an occasional glass of wine...but that's not very often, that's for sure.

mandalinn82
11-04-2010, 01:54 PM
I don't necessarily ban alcohol. But I've probably had under 10 drinks in the last year, and 4 of them were on my birthday. I just don't drink frequently. When I do drink, I drink good wine, with meals.

Beverlyjoy
11-04-2010, 01:59 PM
While I haven't given up drinking alcohol....I drink maybe four glasses a wine a year. I never was a big drinker. I was always much more interested in the food. LOL ;)

(seems like one drink puts me to sleep)

Gale02
11-04-2010, 02:07 PM
I have been either pregnant or nursing for the last 3+ years, so that skews my statistic a little. I will occasionally have a glass of wine with dinner, but I never, ever go out and drink. I never really have, even before I had kids. I didn't ever want to spend $6 on a beer, it irritated me. I will maybe have a drink once a month but usually decide it's not worth the calories.

rockinrobin
11-04-2010, 02:13 PM
During the losing portion of my journey, alcohol was out of the question.

But I was not *much* of a drinker any way. I was usually too self conscious and too paranoid about what I would *look like* if I were to *let loose*.

Now that I've lost the weight and am no longer worried about what I look like, I'm not afraid of *loosening up*, so I will partake every now and then. But the good thing is, is that I really enjoy socializing now and don't need a drink to let loose and have a good time.

And drinking by my lonesome is not something that appeals to me.

Did not drinking help with my weight loss? 100%. Lots of empty calories in alcohol. I was not willing to have empty calories and the after math of alcoholic empty calories in particular. Let's your guard down and before you know it, you're eating tons of extra calories.

nelie
11-04-2010, 02:24 PM
I have maybe one drink a year. It wasn't weight loss that got me there, I just lost interest after college.

Hyacinth
11-04-2010, 02:34 PM
I have a glass of wine when I go out to dinner, and that's about it. I've never drank more than one or two at a time, and if a particular special event came along I'd probably had several. I, too, have the problem of getting snoozy after a little bit of alcohol, so it's never very fun to drink in public anyway.

grneyedmustang
11-04-2010, 02:55 PM
I haven't given it up completely, but I notice as I get older I'm starting to drink less and less...I still like a good martini or a glass of wine though. :)

SCraver
11-04-2010, 03:22 PM
I haven't given it up. But I have cut way back. And cutting back has had a pretty big impact for me. In the calories and the snacks that go with drinking and the hangovers and the hangover munchies and the inability to get a good work out in after a few drinks the night before.

But I don't want to give it up entirely. I love a good glass of wine with dinner on occassion. Or a locally brewed beer with some friends. Or a yummy cocktail with the girls.

I am just searching for balance.

Rosinante
11-04-2010, 03:27 PM
I haven't modified my alcohol consumption at all - but then I have 1 small glass of red about 3 times a year.
I don't drink anything alcoholic at all when I'm at a work meeting in a pub.
I don't drink anything alcoholic at all when I'm driving in any part of the day.
I usually drink fizzy water.

Eliana
11-04-2010, 03:53 PM
I never started. ;) I've always been a 4-5 glasses a YEAR kind of person. My brother is a severe alcoholic and I was 15 (he was 17) when he went through rehab for the first time. Kind of turned me off it, made me terrified, actually.

But, I can relate through pop. :D I gave that up cold turkey and feel much better for it. Haven't had a sip in almost a year. I've always said there are some days people just need a beer...for me it was Coke.

19Deltawifey
11-04-2010, 04:05 PM
I gave up drinking for a while but this past weekend I drank and sure enough I was up 5 lbs! I had just lost 5lbs and gained it back with 1 night of drinking, I've only lost 3 of those pounds so far but I definitely learned my lesson which is alcohol does not mix with my weight loss plan. Of course I haven't ruled out alcohol forever but it definitely wont be a every month thing like it was in the past. Once I start drinking vodka I can't stop, and then I eat, then drink some more, then eat again. I don't get puking drunk but I feel so sick the day after. So like I said earlier I wont be drinking for a while especially if I want to start losing this weight for good.

JayEll
11-04-2010, 04:21 PM
I also gave up alcohol a looooong time ago, but not for weight loss reasons. It's amazing to discover that you can actually have a social life without having to drink alcohol. It's also amazing to discover just how stupid people who are drinking can behave. I never realized this when I was one of them...

Alcohol does a couple of things at least. One is that it contains empty calories that just turn directly into fat, I'm sure. Another is that it lowers inhibitions so that it's harder to say no to tempting things. Food is one of those tempting things.

Jay

runningfromfat
11-04-2010, 04:24 PM
I haven't had a drink in about 2.5 years but that's due to pregnancy+nursing. Although I was never a big drinker (at most a few sips of wine once a month) so it's not so much an issue for me. I drink water, tea, and coffee all without any sweeteners.

Creeech
11-04-2010, 04:31 PM
I was never much of a drinker, so whenever I -do- drink I have a really low tolerance. I didn't go away to school so I never got that "party" mentality, and at home it was never my scene to go to bars or clubs. It's really just not my thing, I have plenty of fun without alcohol, and I'm sure my body likes it that way too! :-)

Mitza24
11-04-2010, 04:35 PM
I gave up drinking last year when I was pregnant. It was hard at first but once you don't drink for a while and bring it back, it doesn't see, that big of a deal anymore. Good luck!

caryesings
11-04-2010, 05:11 PM
I was never much of a drinker, but don't even try to drink when I'm trying to lose weight. Not so much for the calories in the drink but because of the issue Matt alluded to. The bit of a buzz makes me think eating large quantities of junk ok.

PaulaM
11-04-2010, 05:39 PM
I gave up drinking entirely when I lost two friends to breast cancer and studies came out that for women even one drink a day cause lead to it. I don't miss it at all.

Robin41
11-04-2010, 05:50 PM
I probably have a drink three times a year, usually a margarita when there's a mexican restaurant involved. It's a treat and I treat it like one.

I simply can't see drinking my calories even now when I'm in maintenance, and certainly not during the losing phase. I'm always trying to get the most bang for my calorie buck and alcohol just doesn't fit in that plan anywhere.

Asherdoodles87
11-04-2010, 05:54 PM
I am 23 years old. I have maybe had five drinks since I turned 21. I am just not a big drinker. My dad advised when I turned 21 not to get into a habit of drinking. Apparently a few family members have struggled with it in the past. And, he did not want me to have issues with it.

I am kind of glad now that I do not drink because I would probably heavier if I was drinking and eating unhealthy. ;)

Teresa66
11-04-2010, 06:27 PM
I don't drink much at all and since starting back to losing weight and strictly counting my calories, I can only drink if it's allowed and most days it's not. Which is why there are three bottles of red wine in my house unopened. :)

socalfelicity
11-04-2010, 06:47 PM
i have never been a big drinker- lots of alcoholism in my family history- so i've always been really careful.

i would say i have a glass of wine once/month or less- no biggie.

my big thing i need to give up is soda- i currently have 2 cokes/day- and giving that up is harrrrrrd for me. grrr.

Krizstyling
11-04-2010, 06:49 PM
Wow! So many different experiences! Thank you all for responding!

I think the one major fact we can all agree on after reading those is that not drinking definitely helps you lose weight.

Matt - I really like what you said about always wanting to get something horrible to eat afterwards. I was the same way, out til 5am getting wasted, and then would hit a pizza joint or white castle and not even realize how much crap I was putting into my body. It's just a horrible cycle. I wish you much luck and success in keeping away from that temptation.

I think rockinrobin put it best: Did not drinking help with my weight loss? 100%. Lots of empty calories in alcohol. I was not willing to have empty calories and the after math of alcoholic empty calories in particular. Let's your guard down and before you know it, you're eating tons of extra calories.

Oh so true.

When I saw this:

Serving size is one glass (200 ml)

Calories

Margarita - 453cals

Martini - 413cals

Pina Colada - 300-450cals
Screwdriver- 200cals
Sunrise- 253cals
Whisky Sour - 166cals

Of course those are estimates, they can be lower or higher depending on bartender =) But, when I saw those estimates I was FLOORED. I'd rather put 400 calories of FOOD in my body before I go anywhere near a martini! It's scary stuff. I wish I had known this all those years ago but I guess I never really "wanted" to truly know.

Eliana - Yay for giving up soda! Congrats!

Carly - Live and learn! At least you know how to handle it now. Good luck on dropping the rest!

JayEll - Aside from it helping me not eat empty calories...I have to say, the point you made has been the MOST important to me. I absolutely positively NEVER realized what an *** I must've made of myself on MANY occassions. After going out with friends who were drinking I realized I may have to even evaluate friendships! While I had a good time with many, those that drink too much really bothered me. I can't even imagine how I acted when I drank. I love who I am without it and I love the skin I'm in. I no longer need to take away any pain..I'd rather just be me and not "loose" with liquor. I can be fun and boisterous all on my own =)

oodlesofnoodles
11-04-2010, 06:53 PM
I didn't give it up as much as I severely restricted it. It was only rare rare rare occasions that I allowed myself to drink. Usually once every many months. It sort of sucks, since I'm in college and there's a lot of parties. I know if I go, I'll drink, so I just don't go, and I miss out on a lot of fun stuff. But whatever, I'm safer this way? Lately I've been drinking more. My BFF came home and then Halloween happened and so I got pretty trashed twice within a span of 5 weeks. I'm taking a break for a while I think. Hangovers suck now.

Oh, and yes it helped me lose weight. A LOT.

lucky8
11-04-2010, 06:59 PM
i havent gave it up COMPLTELTY just special occasion . But i have found i DONT NEED IT............after being tea total for a few months , or even having the odd glass of wine inbetween make u realise how much better you feel with out it. And when you do have that rare treat of what ever you tipple is..........how much you enjoy it...........with out over doing it.

Hangovers used to be just a fact of life with me , and i used to get them really bad.
I put two stone on a year ago and i put it on very fast in less than 6 months and im still struggling to shift it.

When i look back my diet was in now way different , but it was the DRINK. its all hidden calories. And its what put my weight on and its so hard to get drinking weight off.

Its pointless going totally tea total if you enjoy a drink, but give you self a few month off it and i guarentee you will have a whole new attitude towards it.

I cant remember when last time was i had a hangover now :carrot:

GirlyGirlSebas
11-04-2010, 07:56 PM
I love a good margarita! But, I hate feeling drunk. So, one's my limit. I'm not sure I would ever consider giving up my occasional drink. It's worth the calories to me.

lottie63
11-04-2010, 08:12 PM
I am now 30 (31 dec 5th!, wooo!), and I never drank until I was 27. I drank socially for one year, I'm bipolar, and alcohol makes me manic, I ended up in the hospital 3 times the year that I drank.

I also get sober REALLY fast and also, a nasty nasty hang over. I am usually not only not drunk, but also hungover before I even leave the bar.

I don't like the taste of alcohol.

When I did drink, I hung out at this bar that is right near my house. I also live by about 5 pizza places an indian place, and a cal-mex restaurant. Also on that same street it's a TON of restaurants, it's like running the gauntlet of restaurants when I come home from work trying not to stop and eat! If I didn't end up at the cal-mex place for half off wings, I ended up next door and would eat half of an extra large pizza or a giant hoagie or wedgie or pepperoni roll. Oh, and don't forget the jalapeno poppers that I would get with every meal! And the ranch of course, to dip it all in. *augh*

I definitely gained a bunch of weight that year. lol.

So, yeah, I'd say not drinking helps, most likely whoever you are because who wants to forgo food for a drink? And who could when you are most likely at a bar with greasy delicious bar food?! ha.

pipernoswiper
11-04-2010, 08:13 PM
doesnt matter if i drink one or 10, it shows up on the scales EVERY time. so i pretty much avoid it like the plague. love it though.

Kismet89
11-04-2010, 09:15 PM
I quit drinking 5 years ago when I was 21. Not related to weight loss, though...

krampus
11-04-2010, 09:33 PM
I drink beer and wine on weekends somewhat regularly still and it hasn't really impacted my weightloss, just a spike that goes away within 36 hours.

Not sure if it's really worth it these days though because my tolerance, which was already laughable, has gone to sh!t. Seems I skip the "happily buzzed" stage and go straight from sober to hung over.

Lori Bell
11-04-2010, 09:43 PM
I quit drinking, smoking and eating crap all around the same time. (2.5 years ago) I quit drinking because I was a drunk...and it made me want to smoke, and it made me eat late at night to "avoid a hangover" and then I'd eat more in the morning to "cure" the hangover. Oh man, I don't miss it at all. I've lost 190 pounds and I'm pretty sure that I would have never made it this far if I would have continued drinking. Actually, I'm pretty sure I'd be dead if I hadn't quit drinking.

stacygee
11-04-2010, 09:50 PM
I have pretty much given up drinking. Haven't had a drink in 3 months. Haven't really wanted to waste the calories on it. Once I hit GW I would like to reintroduce a cocktail or two.

MadameZombie
11-04-2010, 09:59 PM
I used to drink most of the week but I love craft brews and they are deadly with calories. I limit myself to one or two nights and have a drink with dinner. I don't know if I'll ever not drink, I really love the taste of beer and wine and... well most mixed drinks!! However, anything more than one drink and I feel like *** the next day.

Trazey34
11-04-2010, 10:34 PM
blech, I've always hated booze! I hate the feeling of my reality being altered LOL I like things the way they are!

ubergirl
11-04-2010, 11:18 PM
Not completely, but I drink very very little. But I don't really like it. Boy do I wish I felt the same way about food....

Lyn2007
11-05-2010, 01:40 AM
I gave up drinking when I was 17.

I took it back up in moderation in my 30's... maybe 2-3 drinks a year!

This spring I gave it up again (too many carbs for me right now) but I don't really care if I have a drink or not, ever again.

lottie63
11-05-2010, 11:41 AM
I drink beer and wine on weekends somewhat regularly still and it hasn't really impacted my weightloss, just a spike that goes away within 36 hours.

Not sure if it's really worth it these days though because my tolerance, which was already laughable, has gone to sh!t. Seems I skip the "happily buzzed" stage and go straight from sober to hung over.

Me toooooo!