Weight Loss Support - Calorie Cycling & Mexican Food

View Full Version : Calorie Cycling & Mexican Food

DaughteroftheKing
11-03-2010, 12:17 AM
Aggg! Ive been doing SO good these last few weeks! Lost about 15lbs in a month & a half, such motivation, would have never though of turning back-

But then I thought maybe my weight loss would be more effective if I did calorie cycling, or zig-zagging, because if I eat when Im hungry I only eat about 1300 calories a day & I dont want to get "stuck"... so today was my high calorie day of 1900 cals & I ate lots of fruits & peanut butter with my apples & the high calorie bread with my turkey sandwich to use up the calories & saved room for this Mexican food place chimichanga for dinner-

omggggg that was horrible! I mean, it was delicious, but I felt like CRAP & so tired & seriously my mood has changed hugely in such a small amount of time its ridiculous! & of course all the saltiness & fattiness makes me want dessert even more.. what a vicious cycle!

Anyways, just had to rant :) ... I dont think I can do calorie cycling, I think for me Im just going to have to stick with being satisfied at 1300 calories & hope & pray I dont get stuck!!

Luddy
11-03-2010, 01:33 AM
OMG, I feel I'm still recovering from a chimichanga from my favorite Mexican restaurant from FRIDAY. (not exactly the point of your post, but really random coincidence)

It was the first time I overate in a long while and wasn't really worth it.

Sorry for the lack of advice, but I feel you, lol...you are not alone in this.

JayEll
11-03-2010, 05:41 AM
You can still calorie cycle. Just choose better foods. A chimichanga is probably not the way to go... ;)

Jay

seagirl
11-03-2010, 05:56 AM
Why not learn how to cook mexican food on your own? I love to make fajitas at home, and by cooking it yourself you know exactly what's in it!

My Michelle
11-03-2010, 06:39 AM
Calorie cycling can be done using all healthy foods -- and you the bonus is you won't feel like crap! :)

AnnieDrews
11-03-2010, 10:08 AM
Why not learn how to cook mexican food on your own? I love to make fajitas at home, and by cooking it yourself you know exactly what's in it!

:high: Now we're talkin'!!! :carrot: Either that or choose more wisely at the mexican place. Most true mexican restaurants carry some slightly healthier options and those are my favorite at my local mexican restaurant. I choose between shrimp cocktail, shrimp and catfish soup or shrimp and rice.

princessummie
11-03-2010, 11:19 AM
ok, so calorie cycling is basically going from a high calorie day to low, to high, to low and so on? Correct? Is this good to do when you are just getting started, or more like when you hit a plateau?
Thanks and good luck! (I love homemade Mexican, too!)

Belinda0509
11-03-2010, 11:35 AM
:[...]Most true mexican restaurants carry some slightly healthier options and those are my favorite at my local mexican restaurant. I choose between shrimp cocktail, shrimp and catfish soup or shrimp and rice.

I love Mexican food and have eaten it while losing weight. I just make better choices. I usually order two chicken soft tacos. I get the soft corn tortillas since they are better for me. Last time I couldn't even finish both of them. I also pick out 12 of the tortilla chips and place them on my napkin and enjoy them with my dinner. I count the tacos as 200 calories each and the chips at 140. It is something that I truly enjoy and still manage to lose weight. For me it is not about depriving myself of one of my favorite types of food. :)

AnnieDrews
11-03-2010, 11:41 AM
Agree w/ Belinda! I cannot expect myself to permanently stick to my plan if I don't allow myself my favorite things. Just have to plan for them and make adjustments.

nelie
11-03-2010, 11:53 AM
My family is Mexican but I've never had a chimichanga (not exactly sure what it is) but I'd agree that authentic places would have healthier options. We actually don't have many where I live now but there is one and then there are some other more americanized places that do have some better options. I go there with coworkers sometimes and I'm able to get grilled veggies, salads, etc.

DaughteroftheKing
11-03-2010, 12:59 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone!! :) those ideas were great! For right now Im full at 1300 calories, & dont know what else I would want to eat in a day... but if I get to that craving point again I definitely will go for either the healthier options or make it myself- I think its just all that sodium thats really messin with me!