Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 11-02-2010, 06:39 PM   #1  

Default What were your results with cardio AND strength training for weight loss?

I've done quite a bit of research on the benefits of cardio vs strength training vs a combination of both- and it's pretty debatable. That being said- please, no lectures. It seems to me that every side has a study to back up their claims- which is fine All exercise is good in one way or another.

What I want to know are the actual results women have had with toning their bodies through strength training as well as doing moderate to heavy cardio on a daily basis. I know there are similar threads which basically read "I lost a lot of weight!" or "I lost so many inches!"-but these are all very general statements. And I know all women and individual weight losses are different, this is just to get a VERY general idea of what I can expect.

So, if you could please tell me exactly how often/how much you did cardio and strength training (for example, 6 days/week, 45 mins Cardio, 30 mins ST), as well as how many pounds and inches you lost in a month, that would be extremely helpful and much appreciated. Thanks!
marih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:48 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 302/199/180

Height: 5' 6"

I've been doing both cardio and strength training since mid-November of 2009. From the start, I've been doing 50 minutes of strength training three times a week. When I started, I did 45 minutes of cardio four times a week. Now I do between 30-60 minutes of cardio five to six days a week.

In a little less than a year I've lost 103 pounds. In addition, I recently had my body fat percentage tested and found I am 26.4% body fat, which is within the healthy range for women. I have no doubt that both cardio and strength training contributed to this result. I look forward to seeing what they'll do for me over the next year!
Desert Agave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:55 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Agave View Post
I've been doing both cardio and strength training since mid-November of 2009. From the start, I've been doing 50 minutes of strength training three times a week. When I started, I did 45 minutes of cardio four times a week. Now I do between 30-60 minutes of cardio five to six days a week.

In a little less than a year I've lost 103 pounds. In addition, I recently had my body fat percentage tested and found I am 26.4% body fat, which is within the healthy range for women. I have no doubt that both cardio and strength training contributed to this result. I look forward to seeing what they'll do for me over the next year!
Thanks! That's really helpful. Just one more question: how long did it take for you to see results? I've been doing just cardio and I've lost weight so far, but I've stalled for the last few weeks, so I want to switch it up a little with some strength training (I wasn't planning on doing that until I'd lost more weight but I figure now is as good a time as any.) I've gotten a little down since I haven't seen results lately, so I want to be a little more informed since this is new for me.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:05 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 302/199/180

Height: 5' 6"

I saw results pretty much immediately. I lost 20 pounds in about the first six weeks of following this workout program. However, it is important to note that I also started working with a sports dietitian and eating according to a menu plan she designed for me. It was the combination of nutrition, strength training, and cardio that really did the trick for me.
Desert Agave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:20 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Height: 5'7"

I did weight training for months and didn't lose anything until I cut carbs, fat and portions and added cardio. I've lost 33 lbs. since I added cardio.
JessLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:26 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

I've done cardio and weight training since August. I got to the gym about 3x a week and do 1 hour of cardio, 30 minutes of weights. I don't know how many inches I've lost, but since august I've lost 30 pounds and am down 2 pant sizes. I also have more strength and can carry more weight at my job, where I teach special education and have to lift students every day.
Hope that helps--I wish I had done strength training years ago.
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:51 PM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I've always struggled with cardio so I can't exactly speak to the cardio side. I do know that I could barely walk for 3 months but dropped 75 lbs with weight training and eating a restricted diet. All my weight loss efforts have been coupled with weight training and restricted diet and light to moderate cardio.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:54 AM   #8  

Thanks so much everyone- this is really helpful. I had never strength trained to lose weight before and was wary of the results. But I am excited to see what happens now

This does bring me to another question though- I know that weight lifting impacts scale weight (although that doesn't necessarily mean we aren't getting thinner) but just for my curiosity, for those of you who counted calories, does the math still add up? If you calculate burning 3500 calories a week (through cardio), does that mean that, (in spite of weight lifting), you will still lose a pound a week? I just have a hard time wrapping my mind around the fact that the math wouldn't work out (prior to building muscle mass, that is).

Last edited by marih; 11-03-2010 at 01:56 AM.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:33 AM   #9  
Meg

I never tried to do the math associated with weight loss so I can't answer your question. Sorry! I never tried to quantify the number of calories I burned through exercise, activities of daily living, or thermogenesis or tried any of the conflicting RMR formulas. Exercise calculators, like metabolic calculators, are only very rough guesstimates and it seemed like trying to make sense out of guesses would only be frustrating.

So my unscientific method was to just stick to my plan like glue and let the fat loss take care of itself.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:13 AM   #10  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

There are a couple reasons that weight lifting can mess with scale weight and the primary reason is water. Most of our body is composed of water. When our muscles are healing, they retain water.

For me, I only noticed this recently and I know that the scale is not a perfect measuring device.

I'm with Meg though, things will work themselves out. You'll lose fat, maintain muscle, clothes sizes will drop and the scale overall will drop.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:19 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 298/238...285.5/217/150

Height: 5'5"

Here's my $.02!!

In March 2010 at 285, I was in no shape to do much more than WW points and 55 minutes cardio 3 times a week. (Water Aerobics which has a bit of resistance work). I lost 27 # before I went in July on vaca in Cal and I kept up with young, lighter, or fitter people than me. I actually lost on that trip! My energy level was higher partly due to getting more O2 there.

But it gave me such confidence that I started working harder in class and walked the dog every day with more vigor. I am now down a total of 40+ pounds and I am adding weight training to the plan. I feel like I can handle the challenge of adding more to my fitness routine. I actually want to feel more of a workout. I know its the endorphins but who cares, it feels good to get the 'body buzz'. Oooooo, its been so long since I felt that.

I knew what I should have been doing, but I really didn't want to feel overwhelmed by it. I was willing to go slow on the scale until I felt up to it. I knew it would get to this point someday and I am glad I am here.
DixC Chix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:18 AM   #12  

Thanks again everyone This has truly been very helpful.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:14 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 170/164.0/115

Height: 5'2"

Cardio- 5 times per week 30 minutes to one hour. Weight Training 2-3 times per week- I have lost 5.4 lbs since Thanksgiving.
Hope 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:36 AM   #14  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I'm not very good at answering the specifics but I can tell you my experience. And this is one of my favorite topics! You've given me the opportunity to brag!

I started out in November 2009 at 235 pounds with a body fat percentage above 47. I'm not sure what it was. It was 47 by the time I got down to 212. Now I am 155 with a body fat percentage of 27%. My BF is normal even though my weight is still considered "overweight". My waist is 29 inches and a healthy waist is under 35.

Best of all, I went from being the woman who always wondered how women my height/weight wore smaller sizes than I did to a woman who now wonders how I'm fitting into such tiny clothes at my height/weight. I went from wearing larger sizes than my weight would suggest to wearing smaller sizes than my weight would suggest. I'm currently in 6/8.

My baseline of activity is M/W/F spin class and T/TH heavy lifting. I have mixed it up a lot, so that is only the baseline. Additionally I might add a 25 mile bike ride or often I add cardio to my T/TH workout so I'm actually doing cardio five days a week. Basically I can't give you a "this is what I've done" routine but this is it in a nutshell.

I attribute my success entirely to: cardio, weight training, calorie counting and commitment to seeing it all through.

Weight lifting is amazing for losing inches and toning. I have no lose skin, not that that's why. I may just be really lucky.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:13 PM   #15  
Yay!

S/C/G: 252/seeticker/195

Height: 1,83/ 6

I started cardio 5 times a week as soon as I went on my diet(sonoma) in July 09. I lost 50 pounds within 10 months. I then started ot incoporate weight training.
Without changing my habits too much food wise(not dieting anymore) I gain 5 pounds! I was so upset so I started obcessing with the gym and my diet again. But i was either maintining or gaining a few pounds. In july 2010 I got fed up with the scale and threw it out. I then started using a measuring tape and my jeans. Since july I went from a size 14 to a size 10 (in the same store/brand) exercising everyday (except 1 in the week) with an alternating weight training vs cardio.

2 weeks ago I weight myself and I am the same as I was in July when I threw out my scale meanwhile I am 2 sizes smaller. Thats when I understood they are not kidding when they say muscle weight more than fat.

My advice: start with cardio. Once your comfrotable and feel stronger (cardio does build muscle in the begining) trr interval training (cardio and light weights) to eventually move to heavier weight trianing. I try to go to the gym at least 30 mins everyday which 3 times a week is weight training.

hope it helps.
Zofia is offline   Reply With Quote