Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-01-2010, 10:03 PM   #1  

Default Hey everyone!

Hi everybody, I'm Sarah. I'm new to this site and have been reading so many success stories…you all have motivated me so much! So here is my story…you don't have to read it but I'd love to hear yours if you can relate!

Ever since I hit puberty I've been fat. When I was in middle school I never understood why I was bigger than the other girls, and ever since then I've felt like my body was this huge burden to lug around, even though I love to be active.

I always felt bad about the way I looked, but it wasn't until my sophomore year of college that I took action. During my first semester I grew to 180 (I'm 5'5" 1/2) and couldn't fit into any of my clothes (I had been a pretty steady size 10, sometimes 12, for a few years). I didn't notice until I saw a picture of myself and realized I hated how I looked.

So, I started working out and eating less -- but I was working out extremely intensively, 7 days a week, and eating no more than 1200 calories a day, and usually 800-1000. It worked though. In three months I was down to 146. I bought a bikini for the first time and actually looked and felt good in it.

But, life happened…eventually I got really busy with class, a high-stress job with long hours, I became more social and gained friends, I didn't have time to obsessively count calories and work out every single day.

Two years later, I'm hovering around 160 and a size 12. I don't feel horrible…I have a loving boyfriend who makes me beautiful, I walk or bike everywhere, and I have a healthy, exciting sex life, which doesn't hurt anything but I've put on about 10 pounds in the past year, and I know I look and feel better at a different weight. I've only just now (as of the past few days) nailed down a work schedule that will allow time for working out and cooking meals and am just hoping I can stick it out. My goal weight is 145. I like the way I look as a size 8. The last few times I tried to lose the weight, I got discouraged because it was taking so long. I plateaued after 2 or 3 weeks. My 'journey' isn't as long as some people's I've read on here (you guys are amazing) but it's been lifelong! I want to feel good again! Thanks for inspiring me!
sarahflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:39 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

My story is very different but in the end, we are all here the same. Part of living on an 800-1000 calorie diet and intensely exercising is that it is not maintainable for life. Life will always get in the way - for me, pregnancy was a big stumbling block. The key is adopting life-long habits that are maintainable and realistic for the rest of your life.

Good luck!
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:00 PM   #3  
losing and schmoozing

S/C/G: 175/ticker/155

Height: 5' 6"

Hi Sarah!

Your numbers are a lot like mine, wow! I'm also 5'5.5" (I round up to 5'6" ) and my highest weight was about 170. I have gotten my weight down to around 145-150 before and I liked it... but yeah, pesky life got in the way and I put all the weight back on over the course of a couple years. So here I am losing it again - but this time I want it to be for good!

Welcome to the boards - there is a lot of wisdom, support, and care here. Best wishes on your journey. You have all you need to reach your goals! I look forward to watching your progress.
cornellchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:11 PM   #4  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 166/ticker/135

Height: 5'6

Hey, your life sounds a lot like mine haha good luckkk
skylinedrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:05 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

Height: 5'4"

Sarah- Our stories started out the same... but I am much older then you and it took until I was 37 years old and a size 28 for me to decide to break the cycle. Congrats on making the decision sooner.
stacygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:56 AM   #6  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Hi and welcome to 3FC.

Good luck with your goals.

Hugs
Michelle
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:33 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 333/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'3"

Welcome and good luck with your goals!!!
Sunshine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:47 AM   #8  
Delectable Inside + Out

S/C/G: 163.3/132.8/100

Height: 5'00

Welcome, Sarah!

This site is an excellent source for helpful advice and for friendly support. I'm new too but I'm feeling right at home! I just wanted to post and wish you luck on your weight loss journey. It's a tough road and many times it's more discouraging than we feel it's positive BUT it's the overall goal of our achievement that is what will make this all worth it. So hang in there <3
Pudgebrownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:13 AM   #9  
keep on keepin on

S/C/G: 239 highest 227//227/150

Height: 5'2"

Good luck!
airbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:56 PM   #10  

Wow thanks! Today I went running and ran the farthest I've ever run in my life. I feel good about it this time.

It's really hard for me to find something sustainable as far as eating. Living on 800 calories was never gonna work for long. I've never been able to find a perfectly balanced way to eat where I can still lose weight and feel full. I guess that'll be part of the journey!

I love how supportive this all is and how you guys can relate. I've always felt alone amongst everyone I know in real life…it's nice not to be alone.
sarahflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:51 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 276/276/150

Height: 5'4''

Hi Sarah! I think a lot of people can relate to your story, myself included. I've been fat my entire life or so it seems. Around 16 years old, I lost about 60lbs over the summer and then BAM! Life intervenes! My intervention came in the form of a cute young man. I got myself a boyfriend and said "screw it! I got a man, who needs this diet/exercise crap?" Well, 7 years and about 80 lbs later, I'm heavier than ever, but I still got my cute young man When I look back at pictures of myself and I find clothes that used to fit....ugh, it's depressing. And it's certainly hard to get back into the swing of things.

It sounds like you're well on your way to getting back into that bikini. Keep up the positive attitude, Miss Sarah
pamarama is offline   Reply With Quote