Exercise! - November running

View Full Version : November running

matt_H
11-01-2010, 10:39 PM
Its the first of the month, how is your running going? My plan is to run 3 days a week. Mondays are my long run, Wednesdays I go for speed at shorter distances, and Friday I run a 5k length that is timed.

Tonight I did the longest run ever. I ran (and I always want to put "run" in quotes as it is really a very slow jog) 6.6 miles. On Mondays I don't keep track of my time but just go for distance.

I'm doing a 4 mile race on Thanksgiving and two 5K races this winter. It felt good to know I could even do a 10K race as I went further than that distance tonight.

thesame7lbs
11-01-2010, 10:45 PM
Congrats on your longest run ever, Matt! Isn't that a great feeling?

I signed up for a 10k this Sunday. I'm hoping for under 57 minutes, but lately I've felt sloooooow. We'll see. One of the girls who babysits for us is aiming for 45 minutes. :o

Next I've got to find a Turkey Trot near my inlaws in NJ.

krampus
11-01-2010, 11:03 PM
Congrats Matt on your longest run ever! What a great feeling!

I have no races to run but I am going to try to run at least 3 times a week. I have been averaging maybe 2.5 times a week the past few weeks and I'd like to up that, especially since the weather is so perfect for running now.

I ran for 45 minutes at a fast jog/slow run last night and it felt almost effortless. How times have changed! Still in disbelief that I am able to perform like this.

ange82much
11-02-2010, 03:56 AM
Great work Matt. How exciting to have gone your furthest ever! Sounds like a good plan you have. I enjoy the long slow runs best, but that's because i'm a lazy runner really!

I've got a 12km trail race this weekend. It starts only about 8km from my house and it's the inaugaral event. There aren't so many trail races that are so short round here so i'm keen to add my support to this one.

I went round it for practice about 6 weeks ago and it's got a huge down hill, 3 stream crossings, a huge up hill, a few undulations, then a cheeky uphill to finish. Nice though, so will see how that goes. I'm expecting to be very slow as always, but hope to keep running all the way up that big hill!

TheSame7lb - Good luck with your race on Sunday. Is it flatish? What's the weather forecast?

krampus - just love those effortless runs! They don't come around often enough though.

I had an 'uphill-through-treacle' one yesterday (i am up north in the tropics at the moment though so it's a bit hotter than i'm used to, which doesn't help!).

stillwagontsl
11-02-2010, 09:48 AM
I'm going to jump in on this thread for the month. Maybe hearing about everyone else's successes will give me the motivation to keep going. I run every other day. Went out last night and walked/ran 2 miles (took 30 minutes) and then walked another 1/2 mile. My goal is to be able to completely run a 5K in July. My biggest issue is that my calves get so darn tired and achy.

jamsk8r
11-02-2010, 05:10 PM
I'm going to jump in, as well. Matt, congrats on the mileage...nice work!

I did a 12K this past summer, slow, but I ran the whole distance, even the hills, which was my goal, so I was stoked. I haven't run anything over 3 miles since then, though. I usually do some kind of run about 5 or 6 days a week, but usually it's just part of my warm-up, so a mile or shorter is typical. I like a long run, though, and am looking for something challenging to do next year, a goal to help keep me focused and eating right, working out, all that. I need a kick in the butt on the running, basically. Running, more than anything, seems to help me with keeping the weight from creeping back on.

For some reason, marathons don't appeal, triathlon, same thing. I'm just, meh! However, I've been reading up on ultras, like 50K, or 50 or 100 miles. Hmm...crazy...impossible...did I mention crazy? I'm thinking THAT would be something, because I can't imagine running that far, I just can't even wrap my mind around that. So, that might be my goal for next year.

I'm still hunting for a potential race to enter. I want a trail run this time, because 50 miles on asphalt and I'm sure my knees would just swell up like pumpkins and I'd fall over dead. I'd rather twist my ankle on a tree root, thank you very much. So, find a run, I'm thinking 50K or 50 miles, dirt, then figure out a way to butter up my trainer at the gym, so he doesn't have a coronary or kill me with his bare hands. He's more of a strength guy, so he's not gonna be keen on the distance running idea. I'd better start saving up the starbucks money for bribes, or learn to bake. :brr:

Oh, and in the meantime, I'm putting in one or two longer runs, to start building up mileage and refresh my memory on distance pace. We do a lot of sprint distance at my gym, so if I don't do some distance, I forget how to pace and end up gassing out a few times before I find a pace I can maintain for distance. I'd imagine that for an ultra the pace would have to even a little slower than a 10K pace, but I'm just guessing.

mkroyer
11-02-2010, 05:47 PM
Jamsk8r--
you are in luck with the Ultras...they are all run on trail/dirt. The problem will be your training, however. Unless you live in the mountains or near a significant expanse of dfirt trails (which you might!) than a lot of your running will prob be on asphalt. The key to training for an ultra is the back-to-back long runs...Its just not realistic to do 30+ mile training runs on the wekkends (recovery wise, especially) so you do two longer runs back to back. On Sat you might run 18, and then on sunday 15 (or whatever) so that your legs are still pretty fried for the second run, closely simulating running straight through for 8 or more hours. Ideally these 2 runs would be spaced about 12 hours apart, but that can be hard to do. Also, your "ultra" pace, is going to be more than a "little slower" than 10k pace! For me personally, 10K pace is ALMOST twice as fast as ultra pace. 10K = 7 min/mile, Marathon (26.2 mi) 9 min/mi-- although i SHOULD be able to run about an 8 30, and Ultra is approx 12-12:30 (once you factor in hills and walking breaks)

totsandfries
11-02-2010, 05:59 PM
matt: Great job on the long-distance run, I wish you the best of luck.
jamsk8r : congrats on finishing the 12k that's AMAZING, especially running the entire distance

As of right now, I am training for a half-marathon in April, my only goal is to finish it without walking. Right now I'm at a long distance run of 6.0 miles and hope to extend it to 8.0 before the new year.
Do y'all beleive it is necessary to use Energy chews for a half-marathon?

mkroyer
11-02-2010, 06:26 PM
personally no-- but it also epends on how long it is going to take you to finish it. Anything over 90 minutes and its a good idea to take something in, but this is also dependent on the intensity, in my experience. If you did 90 minutes of walking,w ould you be worried about replacing nutrients? Like-wise if i do 90 minutes of a slow, easy paced run than im not too worried about it. If its 90 or more minutes at a higher intensity, then i plan on taking in something every 45 minutes or so.

thesame7lbs
11-02-2010, 06:44 PM
Hello Runners!

Speaking of Ultras, this dude is my friend's brother. (http://trailheads.runnersworld.com/2010/09/grand-slammers.html) Pretty amazing!

I'm running a 10K on Sunday and was trying to decide if I should lift on Wednesday or Thursday, or if that would leave me sore and slow on Sunday (I just started lifting so I get sore pretty easily). I was jabbering on about it to my husband and he's just looking at me, and then I said, "I know, it's not like I'm going to slip from first to fourth and not win a prize!" (I'm slow). But still, I have a time in mind, and I want to do my best, YKWIM?

Planning a short run tomorrow morning before Mommy and Me Yoga (no, I'm not kidding -- I paid for it, I need to go every so often). I love the cold mornings but I've got to get the little guy bundled up!

I was loving my new running shoes but now the balls of my feet are killing me. :( So they probably need to go back. Can you put inserts in running shoes, like those gel things? Or does that throw off all the complex engineering?

ETA: I like to eat a GU if I'm running 10 miles or more. And basically I just like them because they taste like frosting to me and I don't get enough frosting these days.

Jojo381972
11-03-2010, 02:32 AM
Congrats Matt, on your longest run yet! This thread is inspiring for me as I'm just getting back into running, and I hope to do a 5km this spring/summer.
I haven't run in about a year, and I tried to see what shape I was in a few days ago, and I ended up doing 30 min intervals, of 2mins walking fast, and 1 min jogging. I surprised myself, but I want to work up to where I'm running continuously.

thesame7lbs, I have put inserts into my shoes before, and it worked fine. I guess you should just try them and see if it helps. I have really bad feet (flat feet and fallen arches), I really like the support and padding of Reebok and New Balance runners.

ncuneo
11-03-2010, 10:08 AM
Great job everyone!

My half marathon is a week from Sunday and I'm super excited. I learned that my legs were cramping because of the Gatorade Prime I was trying pre run so that's a relief. All my runs lately have felt awesome.

I'm gearing up to settle in on a maintenance running plan before I decide on my next race and while I stabalize my weight. I'm thinking 3,4,3,8-10. For about 18-20 miles per week. Does that sound reasonable? I want it to be slightly challenging but not so much so I burn out.

Good luck this month everybody!

CakeBatter
11-03-2010, 12:41 PM
Hey everyone!!!! I just wanted to pop in. I am 8 weeks from the Disney Marathon. Cant wait....because just like jamsk8tr I am planning to do a 50 mile ultra next year. I have been reading up on it and it says the key is to get used to being on your going forward for 6-8 hours not necessarily worrying about distance at first. ANywho I have a long way to go but uhm I WILL be doing an ULTRA

MK- How many ultras have you done

Matt- Congrats on your long run. WTG

ncuneo
11-03-2010, 03:27 PM
Man I just read back through about the ultras! Nothing but respect for you all! I'm not even sure that a marathon is in my future, I may be capped out with the 1/2, we'll see.

hhichick
11-03-2010, 04:20 PM
Awwww . . . ultras. The most fun you can have with your clothes on. :) My desire to run ultras again (using the term run really, really loosely!) was what motivated me to finally put down the feed trough for good.

I'm doing Mercedes Marathon - my first in years - in February and I've been scoping out ultras for the spring and summer. My kid has volunteered to crew for me if I do this one: http://www.keys100.com/ Same kid has decided to do the half at Mercedes and will be training with me . . . which is super cool since he's 25 and speedy, which will help me push on the short runs.

So, my first November run will be later this afternoon with the kid and the dog, trying to avoid the golfers. :)

jamsk8r
11-03-2010, 05:19 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome, and helpful advice, all! I'm happy to see that at least some folks have done an ultra before, since I'll probably have questions when I learn more. I'll have to figure how to mesh the training for the ultra into the Crossfit thing, since I've never trained for such a long run before. It will definitely be a motivator, though.

hhichick, do you know a good site or how I might search for ultras in my region? I've done some googling, but if you know the "go to" site for ultras, I'd appreciate any links you could pass on to point me in the right direction. Off to scope the link for the run you're looking at.

hhichick
11-03-2010, 05:52 PM
http://www.ultrarunning.com/calendar.html

Enjoy. :)

jamsk8r
11-03-2010, 07:48 PM
Chick, thanks for the link. I actually found one locally that has more ultras listed, but the more resources, the better..thanks!

Unfortunately, I'm only seeing one option for a 50 miler, which sounds scenic, but might be more expense than I want to invest for a first time out, as far as putting up myself and even a minimal support person/crew, since we'd probably have to stay over before and maybe after just because of the distance from home. There is a 12 hour that is just a 2 mile dirt loop at a park, which might be good, actually, because I could just try to do 25 loops to get the mileage. Seems like a good safe option for trying the mileage on for size, then I could see if I ever want to do it again, lol. My other option is the new 50K that would be even closer to home, which basically has 3 longer loops through a park. Right now the 12 hour is sounding good, since I'd hopefully have plenty of hours to hit my goal mileage, and even if I couldn't get anybody to come for support, there'd be a gang of peeps every 2 miles, so it would be easier to set up/take care of myself if needed. So, I'll check dates again and pick one of those to sign up for.

hhichick
11-03-2010, 08:23 PM
Hi Cheryl,

I love loop 12/24 hour races. This was my first ultra: http://www.fans24hour.org/

You don't need a crew. They are low pressure - you can set your own goals. They're very social - you'll get to meet a lot of folks during the course of the run. And they're fun.

I'm sure it's not for everyone - going round and round - but you don't have to worry about getting lost, unfamiliar terrain, etc.

And did I mention they're fun? :)

matt_H
11-03-2010, 09:41 PM
I did something wild and crazy today. I signed up for a half marathon! I late May I'll be doing a 13.1 mile run :) Being as though the longest I've ever run is 6.6 miles (and that was 2 days ago) this will be a challenge. I wanted to make sure that I have plenty of time to train for it.

Tonight I did my "fast" run. Basically, I run a portion of the run at a fast pace and then taper off to my usual slow pace. It ends up being a 5k length. Tonight I did the "fast" section first thing and I think I should perhaps do that in the middle of the run or the end. I felt like the last mile or so was really dragging. I think I should end strong instead of start strong!

sznn
11-03-2010, 10:06 PM
Congrats on signing up for the 1/2 Matt!!
It is great to have a goal- keeps you going.

I went for a run last night after a 3-1/2 week break. Took it easy - did a 6k.
Need to get back into a regular running schedule as I have a 1/2 in June and I want to improve my time from last year.

S

ncuneo
11-04-2010, 12:56 AM
Good luck Matt, you'll do great! When I signed up for my half my longest was 5 and now only about 18 weeks later anything under 10 is a cake walk. Ok not really, but it was a challenge but completely doable and so much fun. I'll let you how it turns out, mine is a week from Sunday.

hhichick
11-04-2010, 09:25 AM
Yeah, Matt! If you can lose 250#, you can run a half marathon. It's all about the training and you clearly have the commitment thing down cold. :)

Good luck ncuneo! Have fun!

CakeBatter
11-04-2010, 10:20 AM
Matt - Congrats on your half mary registration!!!! WTG

Chick - Thanks for the link to the keys100. Man I think that will be the 50 miler I will do

hhichick
11-04-2010, 10:22 AM
Ashlan - I've not done that race (and haven't pulled the trigger to sign up yet) but it looks like fun and I tend to do relatively well in heat. (I don't do cold weather races!)

totsandfries
11-04-2010, 10:40 AM
I'll have to start trying to use the Energy chews in training once I get over 10 miles. I heard some people have some bad first time experiences with them during their races.
Now I'm in the process of finding new running shoes, it seems like two weeks ago I bought them and now it's already time to replace them, I believe they are right at 300 miles.
Matt: Congrats on signing up for the half-marathon. You can do it!
ts7l : Good luck on the 10k! Have fun!
ncuneo: Wow, your half is coming up soon. I wish you the best of luck!

mkroyer
11-04-2010, 01:12 PM
matt-- i think its BETTER to go out fast, then slow down, as far as training goes. Going out hard and fast and then slowing down teaches your body and legs to process out the lactic acid thats built up while you are still moving
There are very specific types of runs you can do for this. Goole Lactic Acid threshold runs, or any variatin of that
I did 2 11 miles LA Threshold runs a WEEK while i was training for my first marathion, and i truly believe with all my heart that those runs were KEY to my success, and the reason i finished not only strong (and right on goal time), but was actually able to run progressively faster with each mile after 20 mi, while EVERYone else was slowing down and fizzing out!
The best way to do them (IMHO) is to go out and do approx .25 miles at faster than 5K pace ( so FAST) then withOUT resting downshift to approx 10K pace for a half mile to .75 mi, then downshift AGAIN without resting to your Planned Half marathon pace. for approx 1 mi (thats your recovery) and REPEAT however many times. The 5K and 10K paces will QUICKLY buildup the lactic acid in your leg muscles, so then slowing down, without resting to half marathon pace, will teach your body to process it out while you are still running. This VERY CLOSELY simulates the fatigue you will be experiencing towards the end of the race. Threshold training ALSO conditions your body to not fill up with the LA as soon. This type of training run will do you way more good than your cut and dry interval workouts (which arent THAT beneficial for an endurance race) Your legs dont need to go fast, they need to go LONG!

jamsk8r
11-04-2010, 03:35 PM
Hi all. :wave:

Chick, I'm glad you said that, because looking at the two runs again last night, I'd already decided on the 12 hour run. It just looks like a fun, laid back group event. I like the idea of that. Good to know, also, that I won't need a support crew. I wasn't sure, since I haven't done any big miles/hours like that. So, it will be the end of Oct next year, which gives me a year to train. My sister said she might be interested, too, since she could set her own goal for time or mileage.

Matt, congratulations! I'm sure you'll do great! When going for time, I like to sprint at the end. I have gradually just added distance to the sprint as I feel able to, and I've made progress that way. MK's experience is interesting, though, so I will look into that. Anything that can help me run longer without bonking is good.

Tot, I think you're right about that. Whatever you plan to do on race day, try that out in your training runs, so no surprises.

Hey, speaking of long runs, can anybody share their experience with what to use to prevent chafing from clothing? In my 12K, I made the mistake of wearing a new pair of running shorts, and they ended up chafing like crazy. Didn't stop me or anything, but I could see how it could be an issue with a 50 mile run. I'm thinking I need to not only use a different pair of shorts, but maybe also get some Body Glide or vaseline, but I've never used anything before, so advice would be appreciated. I also read about taping the feet for an ultra distance...any advice on foot care as I get my mileage up, like how often I should check my feet, change socks, or what I should look out for?

mkroyer
11-04-2010, 06:47 PM
BODYGLIDE. Just that. You will never chafe again, and dont be afraid to put it on EVERY inch of your body, including your feet--- you will never get blisters again.
Change your socks when your feet are wet ;)

Jamsk8r-- you dont want to train for a year.
you need to pick a training plan, and STICK to it.
Same goes for you Matt!

For some reason (especially first -timers on these longer runs) the "novice" runner wants to modify the training, PARTICULARLY drag it out longer-- thinking itll be easy if they turn a 12 week program (or in your case Jam, prob 24 week) into a 20 week and 52 week program. THIS IS A BAD IDEA. Not only will it burn you out, but it will leave you prone to overuse injuries ( alot of people would just "double up", as in repeat each week oncem before moving to the next) These training plans are designed to increase load/mileage/intensity, in a progressive manner, and then take de-loading, or step back weeks, with an appropriate amount of recovery and increasing. If it was *better* to do a 24 week training program for a half marathon, instead of the 12 weeks prescribed, then it would have been DESIGNED as a 24 week program.

Jam-- for you, the only thin i would do during the next 6 months is try and build up to being able to run *close* to whatever the first long run of your training is. Probably a 20 miler? But you need to figure out the timeing, becasue you are going to need to recover and take some time off after building up. Tricky for you, because you ARENT a distance runner already-- as opposed to most others tackling an ultra---- probably done a marathon before and already possess the endurance and experience to run 20+ miles. To be honest, i dont understand why you dont try a marathon first? :) There are trail marathons... a LOT
But hey, if you are going to have a goal, might as well be really big! lol

ange82much
11-05-2010, 04:00 AM
compression gear stops the chafing too.

Good luck on your ultra plans cheryl. I always wondered who did those loop things as it sounds an absolute nightmare to me, so funny to me that it appeals to you and to hhichick, but i guess i hadn't considered the social side!

mkroyer - you sound like you know your stuff! Have you got any races coming up? What are your next running ambitions?

I've done a few half marathons, but not a full one yet.

The trails appeal much more than the road races to me, but i got an ITB injury last time i tried to ramp up too much, which i know is still lurking if i pushed too far too fast.

I do want to increase my distances over the next year though, ideally up to around 30-40km as there's quite a few good trail runs at that sort of range round here. (Only doing about 15km max at mo though, so a bit of work to be done).

mkroyer
11-05-2010, 12:04 PM
Ange82-- thank you! :)
i am actually a competitive runner, locally, at the 10K level-- Ive taken top female awards several times, and numerous age-division "medals" as well. The problem is that i enjoy marathoning more, although im not particularly great at running long AND fast. My only real running goal at this point is to FINALLY qualify for Boston ( i havent tried yet) Ive settles into the murky land of the 4 (ish) hour marathon-- Ugghh! Like i said though, i havent tried to get out of it yet.

At this point i am taking an EXTENDED BREAK from running. i am burnt out and i dont enjoy it anymore. # marathons in less than a year did me in, i guess. Also, i want to drop about 3% of my body fat ( i am NOT currently at my ideal racing weight, which could play a factor in the lack of enjoyment i get from runnning), and i am unable to drop body fat when i run or train hard. This took a long time for me to figure out. Whenever i go into fat loss mode i have to stop running, and doing metabolically challenging workouts, like intervals, supersets and full body strength routines, etc

jamsk8r
11-05-2010, 04:10 PM
MK, sorry, rereading my post, I can see where I made it sound like I might be getting ahead of myself with the training volume. No worries, though. I'm not planning to do some high volume ultra training program starting now. I'm just reading and asking questions and planning ahead for the coming year. I have other fitness pursuits that take up training time and focus, so it helps if I plan ahead for what I want to do and when I'd like to do it.

As for why I don't do a marathon first, it just doesn't appeal. I like running, but I'm not really into the group runs. Marathons are a popular distance, and anything local to me is going to be crowded. Obviously I won't be running solo at the 12 hour, either, but the whole point for me of setting a running goal for the coming year is not to become an ultra marathoner, with a full events calendar. For me, it's just to keep running on my "priority" list, because when I'm actually doing it, I remember why I love it, at least after the first mile, lol. Like many things we do just for ourselves, it's easy for me to push running to the back burner, because I have commitments to work, family, other fitness goals, friends, a home to keep up, etc. Setting a performance goal like the 50 miles is just one way to remind me to take the time for running, too. It's the training runs that are the real reward for me, not the event itself. Honestly, that's probably going to suck bigtime, but hey, it will be cool if I can pull it off. :D

oodlesofnoodles
11-05-2010, 04:17 PM
I've gotten so lazy with running lately. Reading this thread really truly makes me feel like a turd lol. Good job to all of you though..... Especially the ones looking at ultras. Those are insane! There was this ultra marathoner that did a fundraiser at my BF's siblings elementary school where he ran for 24 hours straight. It was crazy. There were like paramedics there on the ready in case he passed out and stuff. When he stopped, he did a news interview real quick and then couldn't get up after because the exhaustion hit him like a ton of bricks.

Anyway, over the summer two weeks before my 10k I THINK I got giardiasis, because I was sick as a damn dog for 2 weeks. I couldn't eat or really get up, and if I ate too much I would throw up, but anything I DID eat got dumped out the back door. It was soooo sucky, and it took me forever to recover. I also lost a lot of weight, and a LOT of endurance, and I never really tried to gain it back. Now 2 milers are basically all I can do before I want to slow down. I'm doing a 5K on Thanksgiving, which I know I can do just fine, but I still want to get back to my former glory. Dunno if I'd like to do all the super big long races, but I'd like to go out and run 5 miles for exercise on a regular basis.

jamsk8r
11-06-2010, 12:34 AM
Natalie, sorry to hear about you getting sick right before your run. Sounds like you're making a comeback, though. Good luck with upping your miles for your runs. :)

I ran last night, 3 miles, after a workout at the gym. Ran downtown with my sister. It was fun, but I was about choking on all the pollution/fumes from the cars. I think I'll stick to running out here in the sticks where there's a little less traffic.

ange82much
11-06-2010, 08:57 PM
Just done a 9km trail race this morning. (Not 12km as i thought lol).

Fun fun fun!! It's been raining a lot here recently and the race organisers had put a rope across the biggest of the stream crossings with the water up to around hip height (for a short-arse like me!). The rest of the trail was muddy but not too slippy surprisingly, and pretty hilly. It was a beautiful morning though, and such fun (did i mention that!)

I don't even know what my time was as i was racing to the finish line with another girl at the end and didn't even think to look at the clock! Will have to wait til the official results come out.

Bit of a shame that our washing machine is out of order at the moment seeing as i now have a set of wet/brown clothing to sort out......

Ahhh. I like running!

thesame7lbs
11-06-2010, 10:08 PM
Ange, did you have to wade through the hip-high water and then run the rest in squishy shoes?

I've got my 10K tomorrow morning, but it's not looking good. I went to an Athletic Yoga class for the first time on Friday (I've done a couple Vinyasa classes but never this "Athletic") one and it a) kicked my butt on Friday and b) is leaving me more and more sore every minute. This morning it was just my back, but tonight, every muscles in my core is tender. Plus, my hips are a little wonky -- they're clicking and getting all out of sorts when I step in and out of my clothes.

I'm sure it will be fine, as it wasn't going to be scorching speed or anything, but I am doubtful I will hit my goal time. Ah well, I'm sure there will be another soon!

ange82much
11-07-2010, 01:13 AM
Ange, did you have to wade through the hip-high water and then run the rest in squishy shoes?

Yep, that was it. If you've not done it before, it's actually surprising how little it affects you. It's nice and cool for a few seconds but you really don't notice after that. You can tell your feet are wet, but its not uncomfortable.

I reckon you'll be fine tomorrow, you'll just need more time to warm up than normal!

jamsk8r
11-07-2010, 01:06 AM
Ange, the race sounds like it was fun! Glad you enjoyed it. It's always fun if you have somebody to sprint it out with at the finish. :)

Seven, sounds like you're just tight somewhere. The run should help once you're warmed up. Sounds like the new yoga class was a good workout. Have fun tomorrow!

Today was our gym's strongman fundraiser event. Good turnout, and a fun day all around. I'm whupped, though. I'm on the gym cleaning crew, and slightly dreading having to put the gym back to rights tomorrow. I'll get my workout tomorrow, for sure. :faint:

jamsk8r
11-07-2010, 01:11 AM
MK, I meant to ask, and forgot. Is there a set time/pace you have to meet to qualify for Boston, or what will you have to do to qualify? Sounds like an excellent goal. :)

hhichick
11-07-2010, 09:07 AM
re Compression shorts for chafing - you can wear run shorts over if you are more comfy with that but I wear Champion and love them. (You can get great deals at Hanes Outlets or if you search online.)

re Running with wet feet - you can do it for shorter periods of time, but if you are planning an ultra, bring extra dry socks. Trust me on this. :)

re Marathons vs Ultras - Cheryl - you may want to reconsider doing a marathon or so. They make great catered training long runs - seriously. If you're training for a 50 and can find two marathons back to back (Saturday and Sunday), that's even better. There are also a lot of great trail 50Ks out there that would be great training for a 50M.

Today is supposed to be long run day but it may be bumped to tomorrow.

thesame7lbs
11-07-2010, 11:54 AM
Wonky hips and post-yoga soreness be darned! 51:49!

Next up -- sub-25 5K?

ncuneo
11-07-2010, 02:39 PM
So I had my last long run today before my half in a week - it was horrific! By far my worst long run ever! I even had to bail a mile early because I was so nauseous. I've NEVER not fininshed a training run not matter what's going on, but today I just couldn't finish. Fortunatly I know why. We headed to LA yesterday for the USC game and I completely OD'd on kettle corn. It's probably the best kettle corn on the planet and my full, sanity button malfunctioned. To top it off we didnt get home til 2 am and I only got about 5 hrs of sleep. Not smart, but I'm trying to give myself a break and know I'm going to eat 100% clean next week and will be feeling fantastic by race day. I have a nice taper week of a few 3 milers next week before the race and plans for lots of rest on Saturday. Today is a major shopping spree as I have no winter running clothes which I expect to leave me very motivated.

So lesson learned - no sugar overload before long run - like I really needed to learn that lesson.

ETA: way to go last seven!!!!

thesame7lbs
11-07-2010, 08:10 PM
Ncuneo, I had an awful run a couple months ago a day after a cereal binge. All that sugar and crappy carbs (special K), made my heart rate shoot up and I thought I was going to collapse -- even though I took it slowly. Definitely shows you the effects of diet on performance. Good to learn the lesson this week instead of next! You will do great next week!

jamsk8r
11-08-2010, 01:39 AM
Well, I got my workout today, as expected. Pretty much got to move every weight plate, sandbag, barbell, and piece of strongman equipment in the gym, along with the usual sanitizing/cleaning job, and breaking down and loading the big truck with the tent, tables, chairs, bleachers, and the rest of the show stuff. :faint: Heavy snatches tomorrow will either be a relief or a nightmare of soreness. :D Think I will put in a few miles afterward, to help loosen things up.

Seven, congrats on your run!

Chick, thanks for the advice on the compression shorts. I have some other Champion stuff that fits nice, so that might be a good brand for me to try in the compression shorts. LOL about the "catered long run". Never thought of it that way.

Ncuneo, those kinds of carbs have the same effect on me..bleh! Exciting that you're in the final week before your big run.

krampus
11-08-2010, 11:06 PM
Ironically the best run I have ever had was about five minutes after a peanut butter binge.

What are some of the best fuel foods you guys have? Any specific memories of great runs where you remember what you ate before?

ange82much
11-09-2010, 01:38 AM
coffee...............!!!!

ncuneo
11-09-2010, 09:56 AM
Whole grain pasta loaded with veggies and lean protien the night before or if I'm doing a late morning run and have time for breakfast oatmeal with fruit milk nuts and a pinch of brown sugar.

Pasta is pretty key for me though, especially for long runs. I have a couple go to dishes that are good volume and around 450 cals.

CakeBatter
11-09-2010, 10:29 AM
so my knee is really sore. but only after I have started running and pretty much stops as soon as i do unless I was on it for a while and it lingers just a bit. I have been icing and taking it easy since friday but I skipped my long run this weekend. I don't want to be wasting time. I have the disney mary in Jan. What to do MK???????

I have bootcamp class tonight and want to do a light jog (5or6) tomorrow.

mkroyer
11-09-2010, 12:03 PM
cake-- i would NOT do bootcamp, thats for sure! Very high impact exercises, prob.
I really dont know a whole lot about knee pain.... but i can PROMISE you that if you truly take a week or two OFF, COMPLETELY TOTALLY OFF (*light* jogging does not count as off) including bootcamp and anything else stressfull, that you will NOT LOSE any of your fitness. I know that now is not an ideal time to be needing to skip long runs, especially. Is it IT band? Have you tried foam rolling? Many peopl swear by this, but its not necessarily appropriate for all types of pain.

When it comes down to it, you could always take something, eh hem, STRONGER to get through your long runs. I will get in trouble for saying that, because medication only masks the pain, and doesnt solve the problem (and can make it worse, because you dont FEEL like i hurts, ya know?) Percocets and vicodan work well. And im not joking.
Cake, i know what it feels like to train SO HARD for such a seemingly unachievable goal. At this point, whats going through your mind is what you need to do to cross the finish line. I get that. Two of my marathons i was suffering stress fractures, one in my 2nd metatarsal, and the other near the top of my foot. Percocet got me across the finish line.
And my injuries have never fully healed.

Seriously, it MIGHT just be screaming from the overuse, and ramp up in mileage. TAKE ONE WEEK OFF-- NO RUNNING, NO JUMPING, no STRENGTH Training. Maybe yoga? ;) Seriously you Wont lose your fitness.

Jamsk8r-- to Boston qualify i need to run a certified marathon in UNDER 3 hours and 40 minuts. Thats it... maintain a pace of approx 8:20 per mile or faster, for 26.2 miles, and i am in. :) Easier said than done. But i know i can, i just have to train for it.

Unfortunately, i am DONE running, even recreationally, for an undetermined amount of time. I dont want to hate running. It brings me joy, and currently, it is joyless. Of course, the fact that i am about 4 % body fat ABOVE my ideal, racing BF range might be playing a part in not enjoying running

hhichick
11-09-2010, 12:07 PM
cake - I'll second mk. Take a week off from running, jogging, boot camp, etc. Do some yoga. The fact that it gets worse during running sends off all kinds of warning bells to me. You will not loose your fitness in a week. You will be out of commission for the Disney marathon if you blow out your knee.

totsandfries
11-09-2010, 12:29 PM
I have kept up on running recently but yesterday near the end of my long run I started feeling really light-headed very quickly... so much that I had to get off the treadmill and sit for awhile. I have no idea what exactly happened, I ate a healthy breakfast and was drinking plenty of water. Any ideas?

mkroyer
11-09-2010, 12:48 PM
how long was your *long* run? what did you have for breakfast? How long before running did you eat it? etc etc.....

more than likely it was nothing, caused by nothing, if that makes sense?

ange82much
11-10-2010, 01:16 AM
Nice 16km trail run for me this morning. 6x stream crossings and 5x feet wetting!! Wore my 'trail' shoes which ironically are worse than road shoes for going through water since they are more waterproof, so trap the water in the shoe instead of letting it all squelsh out.

About to board a plane for UK in 10 min, so i needed a run round this morning before being subjected to 24hrs sitting!

Cake - i know all about ITB trouble, if that's what you think you've got (does it hurt on outside of knee, especially going downhill?). I've had to pay special attention to mine for about 2 years now. Yup, take the 'rest-pill' as prescribed by everyone else.

CakeBatter
11-10-2010, 09:47 AM
hey everyone! Thanks so much for the detailed answer MK. You gals are right. Against you all's orders I did bootcamp last night, however i have a disclaimer....I just read this. I actually instruct Bootcamp and Zumba so I will cancel Zumba ( I am the only one who teaches it) and have my stand-in for bootcamp.

Ange82 - it hurts on the "inner knee" and definitely when i go down hill. It hasn't bothered me in a few days tho I guess cause I have been resting.

hh- so tru. I am definitely taking you all's advice. I am going to hot yoga tonight.

tots- samd questions as MK, length? How long after eating did you run? etc

thesame7lbs
11-10-2010, 02:53 PM
Krampus -- favorite pre-run meal -- 1 tbsp peanut or almond butter + 1/2 cup cottage cheese + 1/2 banana sliced + 10g Fiber One cereal. Mix up and devour! Probably at least an hour before running.

If I don't have a lot of time -- a yogurt and/or banana.

jamsk8r
11-11-2010, 12:49 AM
MK, sorry to hear that you're burned on running right now. I totally get that. Haven't been there with running, but with other things, yeah. I've had better luck keeping the fun in my hobbies and fitness/sports pursuits if I will give them a season of their own, and not try to do them year round, at least not intensely. "Absence makes the heart grow fonder," and all that. Hope you find something fun to do while doing your lean-out and hiatus from running.

stillwagontsl
11-11-2010, 09:52 AM
One month ago, I went for my very first run. I tried W1D1 of the C25K program and thought I was seriously going to die. I couldn't even run for 30 seconds and I only made it through the first 1/2 of the workout. My lungs burned. My legs felt like rubber. I remember thinking 'Why am I doing this to myself?" I'm determined, though, and I'm proud to report that I've stuck with it (I scrapped C25K and started doing my own thing). I can see so many fantastic improvements in my endurance and fitness. I'm no longer gasping for air and I can run for a much greater distance...almost made the entire 1/4 mile track last night without having to stop and rest my legs. The mental demons are still there, but I am learning how to silence their whiny "You can't do this" voices. I have to say I'm proud of my accomplishments.

ncuneo
11-11-2010, 11:04 PM
Great job still, it just keeps getting better.

Easy 3 miler tomorrow morning then resting for Sundays half. I'm getting pretty excited. I'm actually most nervous that I'm going to really want to do a full, but I'm terrified at the amount of work involved with that...we'll see...I just keep think you only live once and I lost 125 lbs so I can do anything!:)

stillwagontsl
11-12-2010, 09:36 AM
Ncuneo, I think it's awesome that you are doing a HM and that you want to run a full! It takes so much inner strength and courage to even TRY to do one. Just showing up at the starting line makes you a winner in my book. Please post and let us know how you did on Sunday.

wickedlady
11-13-2010, 01:26 PM
Loving running in colder weather... I seem to be able to go further & faster more comfortably when I am not fighting the heat! I do need to get some more layers though, brrrr!

thesame7lbs
11-14-2010, 01:08 PM
Stillwagon, way to go starting a running routine! I hope you will grow to love it as much as I do.

Wickedlady, I agree! I love running on a crisp morning. I splurged on some cold-weather gear last weekend (at a discounters, but it still set me back a bit). A couple days later I saw that Target has their C9 cold-weather gear in stores now. I buy a lot of the C9 gear, but they hadn't had the cold stuff out when I looked. bummer. But I wore my new warm pants this morning and I love them!

I'm so excited -- my local Road Runners club is doing a winter half-marathon training program. I was planning on running a half this Spring and really wanted to lower my time (my two times are 2:08:32 and 2:08:21). I'd like to get below 2 hours, or at least close. It's Wednesday nights at a track and Sunday morning long runs. I may miss a couple Sundays, and I'll have to scramble to get there on time on Wednesdays, but I'm looking forward to the camaraderie of training with a group, and I know it will help me do the track work I've never gotten around to on my own. ;)

Had a nice 8-miler this morning with some really great 'zen' moments in the middle especially -- totally clear mind, body on smooth and happy autopilot. Oh how I love the run.

krampus
11-14-2010, 09:25 PM
I haven't been running in a week due to laziness/excuses/a sandstorm mucking up the air (even just walking, breathing felt labored). Today I can see the mountains again and it's a nice cloudy day. No excuses! Plus the school "marathon" 5k race is in one month.

joyfulloser
11-15-2010, 11:08 AM
Hello fellow runners!:) I've been lurking this thread for quite a while, but decided not to join in until I was able to run 5K. Well...today I've done it...I ran 3.1 miles at my local park (trail)....it includes hills (which is extremely hard for me) and I'm stoked.

Bad news is that my left knee's been bothering me for the past few days...it always hurts AFTER my run, but not before it.

Anyhoot...I started 10 weeks ago only being able to run 30 sec straight, walk 2 minutes and repeat...now I can run 3.1 miles! Nothing beats this sense of accomplishment...well maybe not nothing, but you know what I mean;)

My current time: 5K - 36 min.
Goal time: 5K - 30 min.

wickedlady
11-15-2010, 09:06 PM
Congratulations Joyfulloser!

Just a reminder y'all.... if you are running after dark, make sure you have reflective gear, or even better, a light... stay safe out there!

ncuneo
11-16-2010, 01:24 AM
In case anyone missed my brags - finished my half in 2:19! I couldn't be more thrilled. Taking today off, a little sore, and am planning on an easy 3 tomorrow afternoon and probably one on Wednesday and Friday, and probably 8-10 Sunday. Have a great week all!

ange82much
11-16-2010, 03:19 AM
great work ncuneo! I remember having a high for about 10 days after my first half!!! - and after that i decided i should keep it up and run that distance each weekend!! (which i did for a year or so)

great work also joyfulloser you've made amazing progress. Look after that knee though.

I'm in UK at the moment and it's been freezing. I brought a couple of lots of running gear with me, but didn't expect to be wearing them all at the same time which is what i've been doing! Did about an hour on sat and sun, but this week have only been doing half an hour before work as getting up at 5.50 in the pitch black is hard enough! Really need to squeeze a long one in on sat if pos though.

jamsk8r
11-18-2010, 02:31 PM
Hey all. Just a flyby. Had some time last night, so decided to experiment with run/walk times. I tried running 5 mins, walking 1, but since I do a lot of faster pace running with the Crossfit gym, it was hard for me to settle into a distance pace doing that. I switched and look a longer run to find a better pace, then tried walking 2 mins, running 8. That went better, but I will experiment with different times to see what works best for me. Only did about 5 miles, as I haven't done anything resembling a long run since June, and am not worried about racking up the miles just yet, but I figure I can fool around with the run/walk intervals and other things I will need to learn.

Joy, congrats on running the 5K distance! :carrot:

twinmommaplusone
11-20-2010, 10:41 PM
I was hitting some great mileage months, last month I ran 88 miles, I think this month I'm at 43, with a 9 miler scheduled for tomorrow and a couple of 5 milers this week, last week I did more cross training- I plan on ending my month at about 65-70 miles which is fine. Next month I'll aim for about the same number ending my year about 65-675- which is more than my 500 goal~! I start training for my first marathon January 3rd! Next years Mileage goal- 1200!

jamsk8r
11-22-2010, 01:41 PM
TM, congrats on your weight loss, and surpassing your running goal for the year!

ncuneo
11-24-2010, 12:04 AM
I got in a great 9 miler Sunday even with the crummy weather and TOM. Here's this weeks plan.

Monday - I did 3
Wednesday - 4-5
Thursday (the gym is closed so extra running) 3-4
Friday - 4-5
Sunday (out of town) 4-6 or more depending on time and how comforable I am in downtown LA

Hopefully this plan will get rid of the leftover TOM water weight and keep any Thanksgiving and out of town weight at a minimum.

Have a great week everybody!

krampus
11-25-2010, 01:51 AM
I'm watching the skies. Planning a run tonight. PLEASE DON'T RAIN.

jamsk8r
11-25-2010, 11:50 PM
Hey runners. I found a 50 mile ultra that is right in my back yard, practically, and is held in June. It looks good, so I think I will shoot for that one as my first. The timing for the June run works out better for me, too, so I can do some strongman/heavier lifting focus late summer and into the fall.

I've got the training plan figured out, but have plenty to learn along the way. I'm looking forward to this next adventure. Hopefully ultra running will be just what I am looking for, to keep running fresh and fun. (and maybe I can turn my sister on to it, so she'll quit trying to drag me to all these 5K road races, lol)

krampus
11-26-2010, 03:01 AM
Went out for an hour last night. Weather was cooperative. I think I went about 5 1/2 miles. Nothing impressive at all speedwise for sure, but it felt great. For whatever reason it was really difficult for the first 20 minutes or so.

matt_H
11-26-2010, 07:07 AM
I did a 4 mile gobble gobble run yesterday! I forgot to post about it here.

I plan to take today off from running and maybe doing 5 miles on Saturday.

thesame7lbs
11-27-2010, 06:26 PM
Hi Runners!

I did a Turkey Trot in the town where my inlaws live (South Jersey). It was billed as a "fun run," which I guess means "lots of people in your way." ;) It was a 5K, so I ran there and back, and was treated to a snow flurry on the way home! It was nice.

Ran a slow 5.7 yesterday and slightly faster 6.3 today. Tomorrow is a rest day -- taking my daughters to The Nutcracker!

matt_H
11-29-2010, 10:59 AM
I'm out of town Friday and Saturday. Tonight (Monday) I've mapped out a 5 mile run and I'd like to do a 5K distance on Wednesday. When I get back on Sunday, I'd love to do my longest run ever at 7 miles.

I really need to have one day over the weekend be a long running day and I haven't really been doing that.

jamsk8r
11-29-2010, 07:29 PM
Go Matt! I'm sure you can do it.

matt_H
11-29-2010, 09:41 PM
So, I just didn't have it today. I ran out of gas at 4 miles. I probably could have pushed myself to run the extra mile but I think I didn't have it. I looked at my training log and I've run 8.5 miles in the previous 4 days. I usually do less than 10 miles a week, so I think I just have put too many miles up too soon.

Tomorrow is a rest day and Wednesday I'd like to do 3 miles. I won't be running again until Sunday (going on a mini-vacation to NY) so I still have to do a longer-ish run on Sunday.

flatfoot
11-29-2010, 10:54 PM
Howdy all. I have not been on these boards in a couple of years at least. Just over a year ago I was trained up for a marathon. Fast forward to now and I have not run in a couple of months. I am restarting the running tomorrow morning and training for a 5k just as a starting place.

I loved running. I ran religiously for seven years, and for the life of me I cannot figure out why I stopped. At any rate, I am hoping that hanging around these parts will keep me on track.

ange82much
11-30-2010, 07:45 AM
I ran religiously for seven years, and for the life of me I cannot figure out why I stopped.

Hi flatfoot! Hmmm. Slightly worried by this. I've been running regularly and doing races and stuff for about 4 years now, and have just recently started to think of myself as 'a runner' - in other words that it's something i will always do a bit of.

But you're saying you chucked it in after 7 years! Was the marathon thing just too much?

I've done a few half marathon races, and a few longer runs, but never really been tempted by The Big One (other than as a Trail distance - which does appeal).

I know you said you don't know why you stopped, but i want you to think harder!!!! :D

Pint Sized Terror
11-30-2010, 11:36 AM
I would like to join in. I've never been a strong runner, but I was getting there until an injury in April. I am struggling to run at all, but again, I'm getting there.

I'm trying to do intervals of 60 seconds of running alternating with brisk walking. I plan on increasing the running intervals gradually, depending on how my ankle handles it.

My first goal is to be able to run/jog for a full 30 minutes. My second goal is to run/jog for an hour.

My all-time ultimate goal is to be able to run 1.5 miles in less than 13 minutes.

flatfoot
11-30-2010, 03:18 PM
Had a great run this morning. It is cold and icy out, so, despite my preference for outdoor running no matter what the temperature, I thought it best to avoid twisted ankles of first day back. Did 2 miles at a nice clip with a nice healthy warm up and cool down.

But you're saying you chucked it in after 7 years! Was the marathon thing just too much?

I know you said you don't know why you stopped, but i want you to think harder!!!! :D

It was definitely not the marathon training. I had done a couple in the past and although the training is long and difficult it was usually fun. I think it was that I stopped making running a priority. I had a race that I was signed up for (a 1/2 marathon) that I fell off schedule with and did not run. Instead of running regularly anyway, despite not training, I just sort of stopped. I have found that I need to train for a race otherwise I lose focus and motivation.

Now I am signed up for a new years 5k and thinking about planning out next years race calendar with great glee. The only definite is the Ragnar Great River Relay since I have a team that has done it the past 4 years. Probably sticking with 10k as my longest distance, unless I throw in a half toward the end of the year. I also have a couple of cross country ski races this winter which should be a blast.