Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - Asian Soup

View Full Version : Asian Soup

Karen925
11-01-2010, 07:25 PM
Howdy,
I am trying Asian soup using fish sauce, fresh ginger, tamarind sauce based off of a chicken stock. Family will will have udon noodles. I will use enoki mushrooms instead of the pasta. Travelling this weekend, so eating lower cal/carb this week.

tommy
11-02-2010, 12:01 AM
The shirataki either regular or with tofu are really nice in Asian soups where their slippery texture works- an no carbs to speak of :)

Karen925
11-02-2010, 10:39 AM
The shirataki either regular or with tofu are really nice in Asian soups where their slippery texture works- an no carbs to speak of :)

ARe they found on the shelf or in the refrigerated section. Do you dry roast them, rinse them, or something else before adding to soups? I have a new Asian market near.

I thought it was the starch/carbs in soups that was filling but it has turned out to be otherwise for me. What a nice discovery.

katy trail
11-02-2010, 10:57 AM
in the reg. grocery store, they are with the refrigeratorated section with herbs, organic produce, garlic, salad ect. maybe in the asian market they are in a different area, not sure. i've also heard of dried mushrooms. that would be good in soup.

tommy
11-02-2010, 03:34 PM
The shirataki noodles are in the refrigerated sections but tend to be in different areas in different markets so you just have to cruise around which can be pretty fun in an unfamiliar ethnic market :)

For soups I just rinse them well in a colander and simmer along with the vegetables- usually at least 10 minutes - but they do not break down like flour noodles so hard to over cook. They also do not absorb liquid after sitting around so if you have leftovers they work nicely on a second go round.

Karen925
11-02-2010, 11:35 PM
Found them. Trying tomorrow. Gratis.

2Bees
11-04-2010, 01:43 PM
Off to Global foods on a mission. Thanks for the tip.

I have 4 packets of mushrooms in fridge that I must use up!
I am trying to reduce estrogen so no tofu for me. I used to love "mock & cheese" with tofu .