Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 11-01-2010, 05:06 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 155/150/129

Height: 5'4''

Default Just diagnosed hypothyroid. Advice?

Hi all,

I've just been diagnosed with hypothyroidism and prescribed levothyroxin. I'm hoping it will resolve some of my symptoms, including extreme fatigue and weight gain, but does anyone have any suggestions as to any foods/supplements that could help things along? What made you feel better? Thank you in advance!

--callie
callie999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:01 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 224/150/150

Height: 5'6

Be sure you take your medicine every single day around the same time (in the morning). Don't take any vitamins within 4 hours of taking your thyroid hormone. Also, wait an hour to eat breakfast after taking it. It is a pain in the butt but that is the only way it can absorb properly. Make sure you go back to the doctor around every 3 months to get your thyroid re-tested to make sure that strength of medicine is working for you.
Andreaislosingweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:41 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 155/150/129

Height: 5'4''

Thank you so much! I've been taking my vitamins and stuff at night, but I didn't realize I had to wait so long in the morning...will do from now on lol. I think I have another blood test after thanksgiving. Should I get T3 and T4 measured too? I think they only looked at TSH last time.
callie999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:21 AM   #4  
slim endgame

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/150

Height: 5' 4"

Hi callie I found out in June 2010 I have hypothyroidism. That is what began my weight loss. I have tried for years to lose weight and it just would not come off! I started taking the thyroid replacement and wala the weight started coming off! I still have to work at it chicken, fish, veggies, exercise, etc. I gave up mountain dews and all those sweets I just crave. But watching the weight come off is so much better than those late night ice cream fests followed by guilt!!
I take my meds just like Andrea said in her post...she is right on! And yes you will start to feel fabulous with lots of energy . I hope you have great success with your weight loss!
goal4agirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:53 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 317/257/???

Height: 5'11''

I'm on levo too. My biggest advice is to just take the meds at the same time EVERYDAY. When I was younger, I would go weeks without taking it and I felt like total CRAP (don't ask me why. . . I think I was trying to be "normal" and didn't feel that "normal" teens had to take meds every day for the rest of their life). Also, be prepared to have blood tests every 3 months. I was diagnosed in 2003 or 2004 and they JUST got my dosage figured out within this past year. . . I started with a small dosage and then they would up it and then it was too much so I had to alternate small dosage, big dosage every other day. It's a pain in the butt for a while but once they get your levo figured out, it will be a world of difference!!!
NaturalStupidit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 04:36 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 297/293/135

Height: 5'2''

i have hypo also. diagnosed in jan of 08, finally got my dosage right may of 09. i also talked to my doctor about adding Cytomel (liothyronine) to the levo and i swear i feel amazing, no hypo symptoms AT ALL when i'm taking my meds right. just started trying to lose, so idk how easy or hard it'll be
missmary08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:42 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 230/210/150

Height: 5'1"

I take my med at night, even though the bottle says morning. It's the only time I can fit it in without it affecting my other meds. Taken at night, after everything is out of my system, and it works great for me. In fact, I think I absorb it better. Talk to your doc.

Also, take it EVERY DAY. DO NOT miss a dose or it really will affect you. You will feel relief. Probably not soon as your med will need to be adjusted.
Ursula745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:06 PM   #8  
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

I also have a hypoactive thyroid and have for years. Taking replacement levo will almost certainly help your symptoms within a few weeks of your finding the right dosage. You'll need to get tested fairly frequently, as others mentioned, but a little stick every three to six months is nothing compared to feeling like you're sleepwalking through each day despite sleeping twelve hours a night.

If it helps to know, I've had a hypoactive thyroid since my early 20s and am now 41. I was able to lose over 70 pounds in my mid-20s, so a hypoactive thyroid that's controlled with medication is no impediment to weight loss. It took me about eight months to lose it all, so it was quite quick despite my bum thyroid.

On the flip side, once I started working a desk job I also packed on the pounds WAY more easily than I could've imagined, so yeah, those of us whose thyroid hormone levels are on the low side of normal even with medication do have to watch that.

But hey, we're already watching that or we wouldn't be here, right?
Nola Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 02:38 AM   #9  
banned

S/C/G: 213/198/130

Height: 5'5

I'll be honest, it sucks. I've been hypothyroid for three years now. Make sure you take your meds every day at the same time, and not eat for an hour (or wait two hours after eating to take it).

One thing that you're going to need is fiber. And iron. And calcium with vitamin D.

It will take awhile to get the right dosage too. And make sure you get a check-up every 3 or 4 months (you will get so used to blood tests) so your doc can do adjustments. it really doesn't suck but it does take some getting used to.
HartLover23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:25 PM   #10  
moving chick

S/C/G: 310/ticker/200

Height: 5'3

yeah I was diagnosed at around 16 or 17 so its been 2-3 years now. And it was hard because I would wake up with a hungry belly and eat right away and miss taking my pill. Sad to say on top of having it i also have sleep apnea and so im double tired. I recently started waking up around 9am and I make sure there is a glass of water next to my bed and my pills so when I wake up I just take it and then I exercise and after that I eat breakfast. things have a been a lot easier now. yeah I should be going to the doctor this week or next.
lisha91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:05 PM   #11  

It's also really important that you see a doctor who is testing your T3 and T4 levels. Eating a balanced diet, minimizing stress and getting regular sleep will also help to stave off any unwanted symptoms. There are also medications that are derived from natural thyroid and not manufactured. If that is something that is important to you it might be worth investigating.
moongazer is offline   Reply With Quote