LA Weight Loss - November 2010

View Full Version : November 2010

JLem311
11-01-2010, 09:46 AM
Morning all! It's a new month!

Hoochie
11-01-2010, 11:16 AM
And a new beginning for me today! I went shopping this weekend and filled my fridge with fruits and veggies. Its chicken and fish for the next month. I am prepared!
I went for a run/walk yesterday and it felt awesome!

BarbaraB
11-01-2010, 11:45 AM
Jillian, your hair grows so fast! Happy November!

Joan, Good for you! Its not only good for your weight to eat like that, it is good for your health.

I pushed the limits of WW this weekend, eating all the points that I was allowed (normally I don't eat all that I could eat)... but stopped before going over. I earned quite a few activity points in the last week, including yesterday's 90 minute spin class, so I "earned" those M & M's and that snickers bar. Ha! Oh well, I do think that an occasional higher calorie day is good for your metabolism, especially if you counter it with a high calories burned. I had more than enough candy to last me until Christmas though...

aguerin
11-01-2010, 01:16 PM
Morning All!

Here's to a new month.

Hoochie
11-01-2010, 01:50 PM
Barb- Thats cool, a 90 minute spin class, that deserves a small treat!

I thought about trying the IP diet but after looking into it, I think I would set myself up for failure. I chatted with my hubby this weekend and he is on board with the healthy eating. We are going to just follow the Canada food guide. I bought 300 dollars worth of groceries and there wasnt any chips or crap to be seen. I did buy some unsalted cashews and almonds but they are allowed.
A friend of mine started running two months ago and he is down 30 pounds. Its amazing what real changes can happen for some people.
Anyways, its one day at a time!
Have a great week everyone!

Joan

Jillian- I saw your halloween pic's on facebook. What an awesome looking bunch! Hope you had fun with the kids!

juliemarie
11-01-2010, 01:59 PM
Good morning all! I had my first visit with the surgeon today and all looks good. I've managed to lose about 1/2 of the required 5% weight loss (pretty much all within the last week following Angie's plan) but he wants me to lose another 20 or so before my Dec 20th visit. The more weight I lose before the surgery-the less risk of complications. He advised patients to follow a strict calorie-counting diet using all pre-packaged food so that you don't underestimate calories. But I don't think that will work for me-my body responds better to low carb diets. And that's what I'll be doing post-surgery so may as well do it now. . .

I don't know whether I can do Angie's plan to a T for the next 2 months but I'll try. I'd like to get it off fairly quickly so I can just maintain through the holidays.

Kimphin
11-01-2010, 04:52 PM
JM - 1/2 way is great - I'm glad things are moving forward with the surgeon. My friend that had surgery last April (May? ) is doing great and while she has her difficult days, she is still overall thrilled about having it. She could barely walk before and now she is moving really well - loves to use the stairs! (She had a lot of mobility issues prior to surgery - 2 bad knees, used a walker)

Joan - Honestly, I think that a whole food approach is really the best long term solution - good luck!

Jillian - good lord, that hair does grow fast, huh?

Angie - Thanks for warning us away from the candy. I brought all mine into work today and gave them to a person far away from me. Barb is right - I don't want to hear about candy until at least Christmas!

Angie
11-01-2010, 09:59 PM
The candy is killing me...okay it's the chips really, just sitting out there in the kitchen. Unfortunately I have to keep them around as the child who runs this household would totally meltdown if they all disappeared. Maybe I'll let him eat the whole lot this weekend. :s:

JM -- I'm glad it's working for you. I typed out the phase 2 plan, and if I can lay my hands on it I'll pm you with it. It's a little more generous than phase 1. They put me on phase 2 when I lost about 20 lbs.

Hoochie
11-02-2010, 11:43 AM
Down half a pound this morning! I will take it. Heres to another day of healthy eating. I packed myself a fabulous salad for lunch. Planning to make salmon tonight for dinner. Eating healthy just makes a person feel better! On my way to a healthier me!!!

Joan

JLem311
11-02-2010, 01:16 PM
yay Joan!

JLem311
11-02-2010, 01:32 PM
i also reset my ticker for another 5lbs. :) wondering where i'll stop at? i'm sure it's soon.

Hoochie
11-02-2010, 06:13 PM
OMG Jillian, you are doing fabulous. 155 is awesome! You must be so proud of yourself. WAY TO GO

JLem311
11-02-2010, 08:52 PM
thanks! i'm in awe most days and still feel weird when buying medium sized shirts, etc. :) i figured since i'm at 159, i'll just start setting 5lbs goals for myself since i'm not sure how much more is gonna come off. we'll see where it takes me.

Joni135
11-03-2010, 01:58 AM
Congrats Jillian - your profile pics are some fun and it's amazing how you change before our very eyes! Kim - you're doing great on IP....congrats; JM - good luck with shedding 20 lbs by Dec 20....I totally get what your doc is saying, but is 20 really doable in less than 2 months? Well, I know it is, just has never happened in my lifetime that quickly! Just wanted to pop in and day hi and congratulate all you inspiring women!

Kimphin
11-03-2010, 10:00 AM
Hi all - sounds like there is some good losing going on around here! I am a little stuck at the moment - it's not official WI day yet, but so far this week I have been fluttering up and down the same couple of lbs. Not freaking out, but boy it was nice to see that sclae go down every day. Up, not so fun. Time for some food bootcamp!

Joni - how are your small horses? I am still in love with my neighbor's boxer, Petey. Everytime he comes into my house I amazed at how friggin huge he is. I call him Secretariat. I can't imagine having 2!

JLem311
11-03-2010, 10:05 AM
hello all. not much going on with me..planning out my DS's 5th birthday, it's the 12th, party on the 13th.
still super busy with kids, school, etc, etc, etc.

BarbaraB
11-03-2010, 04:13 PM
Jillian, Are you planning another great cake for the birthday boy? You have done such great ones in the past. Hopefully you'll look down someday at your body and decided you love it just the weight your are right then.

Kim, weight fluctuates. Don't let it get you down. It will go down some day soon.

JM, 20 pounds before december 20 seems like a lot to me too. It will be 20 pounds that you don't need to lose after the surgery.

I tried on some older pants this morning in one size smaller than I've been wearing and they fit. Yeah size 10... good to see you back after a long hiatus in size 12. 4 months on weight watchers and I've gone from size 12 being too tight to wear to comfortable in size 10. Its not fast but it is working.

JLem311
11-03-2010, 08:55 PM
great job barbara!
and yes, he has requested a football cake (which is weird considering he's totally into transformers, cars, robots, mario, etc.) but it's what he asked for..so i'm making a big 3D football. hopefully it won't look too gigantic or weird looking. but we'll see.

it's so good to see so much positive posts and losses! happy for that! just wish more would chime in..losses or not! it's the friendship and camaraderie that helps too!

Hoochie
11-04-2010, 11:01 AM
Barb- Good for you to be down a size. Its such feeling eh! I am not down a size yet but I am working on it. I am down 1.2 pounds so far this week. I am in a size 12 but really hoping for size 10 by Christmas.
Jillian- You are right about this site. Even though I dont know any of you personally, I see all of you as my friends and someone I can count on all the time.
I am feeling really great this week about all my food choices. I am also planning my workout for the weekend.
LIFE IS GOOD!

Joan

juliemarie
11-04-2010, 01:07 PM
Good morning all-I'm taking the day off today to tackle the yard before it starts raining again. But it's a bit chilly still so here I am!

20 lbs is a lot-but if I stick to the low-carb thing it's doable. I lost 10 lbs in a little over a week before that last appt! (I had gained some from my original ticker weight). It's hard to do long term-I think I'll go a week, take a couple days off (add a few carbs to keep my sanity) and then go another week and see how it works. I actually have until my surgery date to lose-so almost 3 months . . .

Folks seem to be doing well right now! Keep it up!

Kimphin
11-05-2010, 10:14 AM
Jillian- You are right about this site. Even though I dont know any of you personally, I see all of you as my friends and someone I can count on all the time.
Joan

I 100% agree - maybe it is the semi-annonymity, or probably more like we are all in the same boat, but I love the friendships here, all non-judgemental and supportive. Thanks to all my 3FC friends!

Barbara - size 10. WOW! Who cares if it takes 4 weeks or 4 months, that's terrific. Geez - size 10 - haven't seen that on this body since college.

I am happily fitting into 16's these days (and it suprises me every morning, LOL.) That's the lowest of the wide spectrum of sizes in my repetoire, though - so I am looking forward to having to shop when I get to the 14's (which this butt hasn't seen since my honeymoon - 17 yrs ago)

JLem311
11-05-2010, 02:17 PM
kim..you can do it! i NEVER DREAMED that i'd be where i am today and look at me. it's possible! i can't wait to see that ticker of yours move some more and to hear you say that you fit into 14's!!

BarbaraB
11-05-2010, 06:11 PM
Kim, Size 10 is bigger than it used to be! I still own a suit that I've had for over 25 years, and it is marked size 12, but it is about the size of what they are selling in the stores now as size 8. Still I'm glad that I tried them on (and even wore them to work and was perfectly comfortable all day), since weight loss has been slow lately. I had high hopes after not seeing the scale move last week that this week would be really good, but it was only one pound down. I did eat every point I could last weekend, so I guess it is important to note that it does not lead to a good week on the scale.

I'm taking a few weeks off from work. Looking forward to some down time and taking a few short trips here and there. We are going to be celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary during this time, but haven't managed to come up with a plan of something to do. We had big plans to take elaborate trips, but that just doesn't seem like a good idea at this time afterall. So maybe we'll drive the hour to the beach instead (not quite the tour of Italy that I was wishing for, but some other year maybe)

Kimphin
11-08-2010, 09:21 AM
Barbara - enjoy your time off! Whether you go anywhere or not, it is still downtime for the brain. Sometimes it is a lot less stressful to NOT go on a big trip - you can take the time and find cool new places near home. Happy 25th too!

And yeah, I had a feeling that sizes just aren't what they used to be. I look at college pictures of myself - as an 8 or 10, and I was thin. Of course, I wanted to be tall and skinny, so I thought I was fat. I wish I could shake my younger self and knock some sense into me!

JLem311
11-09-2010, 09:48 AM
what's up everyone??? where are you?

i'm down another pound--so i'm at 158! whoo!

i'm hoping to see more people posting..even if it's not about a WL accomplishment, just another positive thing that happened in your day would be awesome to share! it'd be great motivation for everyone and a nice thing to read throughout the day.

who's up for it?

mj2007
11-09-2010, 10:40 AM
Hey all

Kim, Size 10 is bigger than it used to be! I still own a suit that I've had for over 25 years, and it is marked size 12, but it is about the size of what they are selling in the stores now as size 8. Still I'm glad that I tried them on (and even wore them to work and was perfectly comfortable all day), since weight loss has been slow lately.

Size 10 is awesome...WTG Barbara!!!

You all are an inspiration. That is what is so great about this forum...whether you are 20 or 60....everyone has iron determination. My eldest sister lives in Boston...she has a lucrative but demanding job and she fights everyday to give it her best but i wish she was as determined with WL. She used to be a workout instructor in her early twenties....now she is 48 and thinks that she is too old to get back in shape.

Well...I am doing good actually...started a new job last week...nothing big but okay so far. The best part is I have to move around a lot in that job...and i am finally down to 123 :)
I agree...sizes are bigger now...XS or size 4 is big for me already...no way i'm that thin...where did my boobs go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hoochie
11-09-2010, 11:10 AM
Kim- Congrats on your 25th Wedding Anniversary. Thats awesome! I hope you enjoy your time off!

M.J- Glad to hear that you are working and that things are going well. Man are you doing awesome with your weight! Way to go!

Jillian- You truly are changing. I can't believe how far you have come. You must be feeling so good about your accomplishments!

Well today I am celebrating my sons 18th birthday. I am taking him for dinner and his first legal drink! I cant believe how time flies! I am so proud of what a great kid he is.
Well I have to run, have a great day all!

Joan

Kimphin
11-09-2010, 02:49 PM
^ She means Barb. I still have 8 more years 'till the 25th.

MJ - congrats on starting the new job. As for your sister - sometimes you can only deal with one thing at a time. Hopefully she will come around to taking better care of herself.

Jillian - OK, one good thing.... I am in the process of planning out my spring semester of classes - and that will be the LAST SPRING SEMESTER I HAVE TO DO! (I should be done December 2011).

Hoochie
11-09-2010, 03:26 PM
Oops, I did mean Barb. Thanks for the correction Kim!!!

old age kicking in.........lol

Joni135
11-10-2010, 11:03 PM
:turkey:Quick shout out to those hanging in here and posting....wish I could say the scale was flying in the same directions as yours, but it's not....I'm letting work get the best of me and maintaining....lose a couple; gain a couple...ugh. But, I hope I wake up someday and the magic button goes off and I adapt a lifestyle that I can work with every day (like you did Jillian!). I won't give up which is why I love coming her for a little inspiration! My cute little granddaughter is two today....she's the greatest, cutest little kid!

juliemarie
11-11-2010, 12:03 PM
Hmm-only down another pound but discovered this week that I fit into jeans a size smaller than I was wearing so that was a nice surprise.

Just trudging along . . .

Hoochie
11-12-2010, 05:55 PM
No loss this week but no gain so thats cool! I took my son out for a few drinks since he turned 18 so I blame the drinks I had!
Have a great weekend everyone!

Hoochie
11-15-2010, 01:33 PM
Where is everybody????
I had a touch of the flu this weekend and am partially recovered. I am drinking lots of water today trying to flush whatever sickness is left out of me!!!
Tonight I am going to go for a long walk on my treadmill and try and sweat it out.
Tomorrow, we are supposed to be getting 10- 15cm of snow. Welcome to our lovely winter, the one I wish I could escape every year.
Well have a great week everyone!
Cheers to eating healthy and feeling fit!

Joan

aguerin
11-15-2010, 04:08 PM
Hello Chickies!. Been traveling so I have been scarce for a week or so.

I'm looking forward to Thanksgiving. Not really going to try to eat right, but I am planning on making some low cal pies for dessert.

The old ticker has dropped own another notch, so I think I will adjust (147). I hate to though, cause I am yo-yoing. Needs to come on down. I have commitment issues, I think. LOL

Has anyone seen that Dunkin Donut Pumpkin Spice Coffee Advertisement? I can't find it, but I am looking. I love the PS Creamer that comes out this time of year, but creamer is a trigger for me so trying to avoid.

Good Luck this week. Weather is not helping me. Its Dreary and Damp here

Kimphin
11-16-2010, 09:33 AM
I love the holiday DD coffees. However, I was SHOCKED when I looked up the nutritionals - (buzz killers - always). The Gingerbread coffee has 52 grams of carbs in a large!!!! Pumpkin has 47 grams. The syrup they use is not sugar free. Bummer.

Kimphin
11-17-2010, 02:03 PM
Wow - deliver some bad news about coffee, and everyone disappears!

Hoochie
11-17-2010, 03:44 PM
Anyone ever heard of HCG?
I went to High School with a girl that is now on my facebook and she looks really good. She told me that her Doctor gave her HCG injections in her stomach and put her on a low calorie diet for 3 days after each injection. She lost 30 pounds in two months and she has never gained it back. She said that her appetite was suppressed and that it didnt cost that much. Although it caught my attention, I havent been able to find much about it on the Internet, mostly about HCG drops. I thought I heard it all but this is a new one to me!
Well I am sitting at 170 this morning. I really want to lose a few pounds quick but its just not happening. My treadmill broke this week which really sucks because I cant locate the online manual for it...grrrrr Its minus 20 with the wind chill today so I wont be going outside for a walk for sure. This means I need to reduce my calorie intake this week so I can lose a few pounds. I thought about doing TO again but I am not in that mode at the moment!
I think the weather is making me crazy. Why do I live in a snowy cold province????
Okay well I think I'll go get a coffee now,

Joan

Kimphin
11-18-2010, 10:03 AM
Uh Oh, Joan - a little early in the season for cabin fever! Walk in the mall maybe? Haven't heard much about HCG, maybe it isn't approved in the US?

aguerin
11-18-2010, 10:27 AM
Hello all:

Kim: I bought the DD Coffee grounds (Pumpkin Spice) at the Grocery store. It is already flavored. No syrup added. I have to admit its not as good as I wanted it to be. I love creamer, but avoiding it. It makes a big difference in the taste but sets off an eating frenzie for me.

My Latest intent is to avoid my trigger foods. They include 1) Carbs, 2) Dairy & 3) Sugars. I will take 1 or two days a week and incorporate some of these lightly into my diet as LAWL allows just to break up the monotany of food, but since I have decided to do this, my dieting is going much easier and I have dropped 2 lbs. :carrot:

Barbara & JulieM:Congrats on the size drop. Every little bit is motivation to keep going.

Joan: I have tried the HCG Drops. They are fairly inexpensive. They DO work, but the diet is VERY restrictive. I lost interest after about 7 days. I DID lose the weight as expected, but can't say that its any better than LAWL. It may work better for those that have more to lose. I am close to where I want to be so I just wasn't that motivated and the drops taste horrible. In case you haven't read up on it, they are hormones or something. You can find all kinds on info on them on the intranet.

Going to update my ticker.

Mama Nicole
11-19-2010, 06:01 PM
Hi friends :) I am sorry I am such a loser and haven't posted. I haven't even been lurking.....I have just been sooo busy. I am happy to report that I am still taking very good care of myself....probably even better than the last time I posted. I have been going to the YMCA and working out almost daily for a couple of months. Really, that is probably what is eating up my computer time. It is really taking a lot of crafty time management for me to keep it up. The good thing is, baby Mia (who is so not a baby anymore) loves the daycare. We call it her play-school. It took a bit of time, but she has adapted well. She is the easiest to plan around. Now, the other 4 kids that are in 3 different schools with different hours...and the DH who works constantly so I don't have to. Anyway.....I am loving it. I do about 30 mins of cardio and then about 30-45 mins of weights. I feel awesome.

I havne't really lost any more pounds... but I am patient. I do need to start logging my intake again....I bet that might help :)

Joan....NO HcG diet. It is a 500 calorie diet. It is a recipe for disaster. I had a weak moment....I tried it.....i lost a good amount.....but HcG drops do not change your mind....and it is your mind that is allowing you to overeat and/or be inactive. Look at those who have had real success......and I am not mentioning any names (Jillian). Slow and steady wins the race....and heart disease searches for poor health. So, do yourself a favor......find tools that will truly help you change your mind......that will help you beat down that fat girl inside of you........that will help you stick with your positive changes. :) And....if you try the drops.....we won't judge :) We have all been there, and wanted quick results. I get it. So, there's my two cents....or 75 cents...ha!

Ok, I really wanted to have more time, but I got all tripped up on my soapbox....and now i have to go and take my own advice, pack up all of these kids I own, pick of my brother (oooh, another long story....I feel like I have adopted a 7th kid)....and get my butt to the gym.

Man....I have missed you all....:)
XOXO

mj2007
11-19-2010, 06:30 PM
Hey all!

Joan- I know that feeling. Man!Itz like we living in North Pole or something.I miss my walks down the hill...and I am going through TOM so itz even worse. Somehow...my periods are longer when itz freezing.
And regarding crash diets...I know they can be tempting but hang in there girl. At 5'8" 170 lbs is not bad at all! I know you are thinking of the holiday parties ...but stay away from pills and injections unless you really need it.

i know i haven't lost 150-200 lbs and haven't earned the right to give advices or life style tips...but really girls, I have learnt from my experiences that you have to embrace the change. Of course...there will be temptations and there is nothing wrong giving in to an occasional latte-craving...but buying lunch every day is bad. i have started holiday baking already...and i being very strict about the ingredients...whole wheat pastry flour, splenda and 1/2 butter+ 1/2 apple sauce.
That way I can indulge without guilt.As long as you can stay clear of white stuff and sugar on a daily basis...you'll survive the holiday season.

Take care all and HAPPY THANKSGIVING WEEK TO THE NEIGHBORS

P.S.....To all the regular lurkers or the newbies browsing this forum...you might have reached your goal or may be just starting...or tired and lost motivation...please share your holiday secrets(especially baking)of survival. We could all use some help!

Angie
11-21-2010, 08:48 AM
Morning everyone! I've been lurking a bit, but not lots to say.

JM -- Good job on the new jeans size!

Joan -- I'd never heard of HCG until you mentioned it -- although I think I remember that term from back when I was trying to conceive -- I think it's what they measure in a pg test.

I'm on track to hit -50lbs this week (since June) so that's pretty exciting. Dec 1st DS and I are heading to Disney for a week, so I'll likely come back 10lbs heavier...lol. I'll try my best while I'm there, but it IS Disney, so I'll probably just try to stick to a maintenance type plan for that week.

I'm not much of a baker myself, but I do love cooking. I'm constantly re-inventing recipes and finding ways to make them work with my plan. It helps me keep from getting bored with the same old food all the time. Today I'm making sweet and sour pork tenderloin in the slow cooker, yum!

Hoochie
11-22-2010, 04:14 PM
Okay ladies, I get it...no HCG! I really don't know much about it anyways.
The good news is that my hubby fixed my treadmill yesterday so tonight I will try it out again and see if its really fixed.
This cold weather has probably just been getting me down. -30 today!!!! COLD!!!! We havent had a break for a week now! Its just snow and cold, depressing! Kim- I dont quite have cabin fever yet but close...
I need to move to California. I love it there......
Well I admit that I did lots of Christmas baking this weekend since it was too cold to go anywhere. The Devil inside me baked shortbread and butter tarts, really healthy eh! I actually didnt eat much so its all good.
Yes I need to cheer up. I originally started LA Weightloss when I weighed 176 pounds and I did get down to the 150's but I couldnt stay there so now I am trying again but with little consistancy.
BTW, can you believe its Christmas in 33 days!!!

Joan

Hoochie
11-22-2010, 04:52 PM
This is just for laughs:

What is a calorie?

Calories are the little *******s that get into your wardrobe at

night and sew your clothes tighter.

MY CLOSET IS INFESTED WITH THE LITTLE ****S

BarbaraB
11-22-2010, 06:47 PM
Joan, Too funny! -30! that sounds so very cold. We get a lot of clouds and rain in the winter here and any snow is just some excitement, and they say it may snow tonight. So we'll see. If it does the news stations go crazy.. since everyone seems to sit at home and watch them, so they send some poor reporter out to stand in the snow all around town. I do like the video of cars not making up hills though. Sometimes it can be highly entertaining.

Nicole, Wow! You've been really doing good with the working out. I am so impressed. Even if the scale doesn't move much, it is so good for you to do that. I tend to feel better about my body regardless of what the scale says when I'm feeling in shape.

We took two weeks off work and took a trip to the beach, where the sun actually shone on us in November in Oregon (rare and wonderful). Then we took a trip down to Sunnyvale, CA and checked in with my in-laws, who are doing just fine (although getting up there in age). Then we went to Reno, NV for a few days, since we lived near there when we got married 25 years ago and got married in Carson city nevada. We had a good time, and ate at some old favorite restaurants and had a fantastic expensive meal on our anniversary. Wonderful, but also felt really good to get back to eating a lot more healthily, and to get back to my spin class. I didn't get much exercise on vacation as my foot is still bothering me (walking on the beach was not a good idea). So that was kind of a bummer, I'm sick of limping around.

Mama Nicole
11-22-2010, 06:53 PM
Hi friends :) Just checking in. I am a deer hunter's widow, and I am losing my mind. Just sayiin'.

Mama Nicole
11-22-2010, 07:12 PM
Barbara.....I must be honest.....I have come to realize that going to the gym has afforded me an hour or so of sanity every day, and that is probably what has kept my motivation going :) Even though it is a job with all of these little people......the one hour of pure selfishness feels soooo nice. As far as the foot......I can sypathize. My stupid foot has been bad since june :(. Have you seen a podiatrist? I did have some injections that provided me some relief.....but then I just over did it. I am going to post a link to some wonderful insoles that I purchased from my podiatrist, and later found online. I do have custom made orthotics, but these seemed to provide me with much more relief. Also, I wear a night splint....and it took a LOT of getting used to....but over a period of about 6 weeks, I really started to notice relief. Oh, that and the lovely stretching exercises, that I FINALLY do. If you do not already have info on them....I can scan and email them to you, if you like. Also....rolling it on a frozen water bottle really seemed to help....and NEVER going barefoot. It seems as soon as it starts getting better, I abuse it.........but I am learning........5 months later :(.

MJ....any of us who change our minds deserve credit! When I get to my goal, I will have lost about 80 pounds......but those numbers are not what makes me feel like a super hero inside.....it is knowing that I finally love myself enough and have stuck to this committment that make me want to wear a cape :) I am already victorious. My life no longer revolves around food. I am no longer controlled by cake. If I want some, I have some......in moderation. I don't feel bad about it....the cycle has been broken. It's an incredible feeling.

JM......way to go on the jeans. I am so anxious for your surgery......I cannot imagine how you must feel. Can you Mom come stay with you to help you during your recovery? How's that little pincess of yours doing?

Joan.......are you currently doing LAWL? If you are not, fitday.com is a good way to check in on your intake. If I log my stuff on there for a week or so, it can really help find any errors you may have overlooked. Maybe I should check that out too.

Kim....what's up?

Hi Angie and Amy :)

Ok, must feed the littles..........

Kimphin
11-23-2010, 08:27 AM
This is just for laughs:

What is a calorie?

Calories are the little *******s that get into your wardrobe at

night and sew your clothes tighter.

MY CLOSET IS INFESTED WITH THE LITTLE ****S

Now that there's funny.

juliemarie
11-23-2010, 12:20 PM
Nicole-I am stressed about the surgery. It's throwing my body for a loop in that I have colitis which only acts up with stress and it's been bothering me for the last 2 months. So yeah-stress;) i'm just trying to drop some pounds and having a lot of trouble with the no carb diet (the cravings are simply overwhelming) so I'm switching to a more LAWL type diet. And then maybe before I see my doc again I'll do a hard-core Every Other Day diet like I did last December where I dropped 16lbs in 2 weeks.

Gotta get some work done-came in late due to the ice . .

BarbaraB
11-23-2010, 12:29 PM
Nicole, I do the same thing, I get my foot mostly better and then do something that causes me a setback. I've been to the podatrist a few times and do have the night splint, which I'm back to wearing after not doing that for awhile. Icing it seems to help me a lot and the stretching somewhat. I did have a cortisone shot in the foot once. It was not the most pleasant thing. Thinking about going back for a second though. My dad is convinced that you just have to stay off it as much as possible for it to heal, as he had this awhile back and is now recovered from it. I do have custom orthodics, actually got a second pair recently at the podatrist. They are helpful, but not too cushy. Sometimes my feet feel better in something cushier. When my DD was young and I was a stay at home mom, I was in excellent shape because I got the one hour a day when I put her in the daycare at the gym and took a little bit of time to myself, where I could talk to other adults uninterrupted on occasion.

Snow here today, just a dusting. It shouldn't get above freezing today, which it hasn't done that in November here for 25 years.

Kim, I bet your clothes are looser than they were before you started your current program. You have made good progress on the second mini goal, which is always harder won than the first one, unfortunately. Is Thanksgiving going to be difficult for you on your plan?

They are changing the weight watchers plan. They haven't totally unveiled the new plan, but it seems that most fruits and veggies are going to 0 points, that they are altering the formula so that you get a reduction in points for high protein foods as well as high fiber foods. No mention of the penalty for eating fat staying around... I wouldn't mind if they got rid of that one, since I do find myself avoiding healthy fats because the points are just so high.

Mama Nicole
11-23-2010, 11:39 PM
http://stores.walkpro.com/-strse-107/Powerstep-Protech-Pro-Tech/Detail.bok

Barbara....I forgot to insert the link the other day. These insoles are actually cushiony....if that is a word.....and my podiatrist said she finds that her patients like these more than the hard custom orthotics. I, of course, paid 50 bucks at the doc for them...and then found them for way less online...but I don't even care. They have really helped me. I have not ordered from the above mentioned site, but will in the future. I want to get a pair for my slippers. If I go barefoot for even 5 minutes, I wreck my foot...and I am pretty tired of wearing shoes ALL THE TIME!!!!!!

JM......hang in there. You can do this. :hug:

aguerin
11-24-2010, 08:20 AM
Hello Ladies!

Good to see you again Nichole. Congrats on the gym commitment. Thats a marriage I haven't made yet. I am thinking I will have more time for that in a few years to avoid the empty nest I will have just to keep my sanity.

I agree about with the HCG. Its a temporary solution to a life long problem.

Well the big Pig Out day is tomorrow. I can only hope to recover by Monday so I don't have to come in here and change my ticker. LOL Happy Thanksgiving All.

dawn78
11-24-2010, 01:49 PM
Barbara - I've been doing WW also for the last few months and I was curious to what the new plan changed. I go to the meetings and our leader couldn't say much about it until its unveiled next week. That's good to know about the fruits and veggies but I wonder how many points I'll lose with the changes??

BarbaraB
11-24-2010, 03:43 PM
Dawn, I guess we'll have to wait and see what the plan changes are. I think it will be a good shift though. I've been doing WW online since July. I do think they needed to shift with the current thinking on weight loss and weight maintenance, which is not as fat phobic as it was 20 years ago.

Nicole, thanks! I think I will order myself one of those! I do have a pair of slippers and sandals that have a foam bed, and I have worn them out as my foot feels better in the cushiness of the foam than even with the custom orthodics. Lately I've been wearing the dearfoams slippers that I bought at Costco around the house.. very cushy.

JM, Aw, don't stress... OK not the easiest advice to follow, but do take some deep breaths, realize that this will pass before you know it, and that better and healthier days lie out there in your future.

Hoochie
11-25-2010, 12:25 PM
Happy Thanksgiving to all my neighbors in the U.S!

Not much going on with me today. I am glad that the weather is warming up a bit. Hopefully I can get some Christmas shopping done on the weekend.
Have a great day everyone!

Nicole- No I havent been to the LAWL center for about a year now. I was trying to do it on my own since I have all the tools however when I dont have to weigh in and be accountable, its easier to fall off the plan!
I think for me, I have to exercise on a regular basis, plain and simple! Following a proper food plan is great but when I am not exercising, thats when I notice the difference for sure. My treadmill is fixed so I dont have any excuses anymore. I also have a weight set at home. I just need to get my butt in gear.

Gotta run,

Joan :)

juliemarie
11-28-2010, 11:11 AM
Hope you all had a great holiday! My goal was to maintain through the weekend and then hit it hard again starting today. I didn't do wonderful with my eating, but I only had one plate at Thanksgiving dinner with small portions of my favorites and I finished Josie's pumpkin pie since she only ate a small amount (well, mostly she ate the Cool Whip!). The rest of the weekend-I ate whatever everyone else did and didn't snack-with the exception of a few drinks Friday night and some dessert that someone brought while we played cards.

Weighed myself this morning and I lost a pound since the last time I weighed myself. I'm pretty proud! I really think sleeping better (CPAP) has helped my body-i think normally I might have gained a bit. Or given in to the cravings the other night instead of just having a bit of Jello before bedtime.

Anyway-here I go again. I keep reminding myself i'm do this (losing weight before the surgery)-to lessen the odds of DYING during the surgery. Yes-I'm totally blowing it out of proportion-but hopefully scaring myself to death will help!

One hard thing is that all these medical appts (co-pays and my 20%) and colitis meds ($25/week!!!) have hurt me financially. i need to scale back my spending and can't spend a lot on food for the next month-I'm cleaning out the freezer and pantry for the next month and only supplementing fresh fruit, milk, and other necessities so i'm going to have to move toward portion control some days instead of low carb. But i'll do my best-I've had a frozen turkey in my freezer for over a year. I will actually be cooking my first turkey soon! ;)

Today will be xmas decorating and house-cleaning after church. Looking forward to it!

Joni135
11-29-2010, 01:45 AM
Well, it's Monday and I took today off work. Decided to check in to see how everyone is doing and I'm thrilled to see Nicole back and posting...and doing awesome!! Between Jillian and Nicole, it's pretty obvious that working out is key to our success!

Interesting to see all the posts re: H*G product, since on the home page of the 3 fat chicks site, this is a banned topic....(or something like that). This is actually a highly touted program in the Georgia area and runs about $600 to $850 for a month long program; You see pros and cons about the program, but my overall opinion is think twice and do LOTS of research if you venture in this direction.

I went to WW today to hear all about the new program. The program's points are based on Protein, Carbs, Fat and Fiber (no calories). There is no 'slide' to calculate points anymore since the algorithm to calculate your PointsPlus points is too complex so you really need to use a little pointsplus calculator they sell or have online access to calculate things for you. Of course I bought all the new materials (about $35 for food and dining out guides, tracker, cookbook, etc.). Little things I noticed was a glass of wine is now 4 pts vs 2 pts; WW yogurts are 2-3 points instead of 1 pt; I still have a lot of reading to do to understand everything better. Folks are having good results with the new program. I think it's a good move on the part of the WW folks!

That's it for now...i'll try to do better about checking in. Hopefully I'll be posting some good results, even though it's a crazy time of year....

mj2007
11-29-2010, 11:14 AM
Good morning girls

Hope everyone had a fab weekend ( and great TG if you are in US). We finally having better weather is Calgary ( as long as it doesn't reach -20.C I will consider it good). I might even hit the gym this evening.
Anyone tried Yoga Meltdown DVD from Jillian Michaels? i tried out yesterday...it is pretty good actually. Dynamic flowing type yoga.

Well...everyone have a great week!

Kimphin
11-29-2010, 02:11 PM
Hi everyone - hope you all (here in the US) had a good turkey day. Mine was OK - just loud and tiring - we were at the in-laws. It was nice having the time off, though - and we got the house decorated for Christmas, which is an accomplishment.

I purposely went off protocol for T-day. I tried to stay relatively low-carb, and ended up staying about the same, which is OK for me( needed the wine to survive! LOL - no, I am serious) . Now for the push to the next goal!

Good luck to you WW-ers out there with the coming changes. It seems like a lot of things are changing by a large number of points, but I like the concept that fruits are going down in points.

JM - hang in there! And yes, I guess you should be cooking up all the food in your freezer this month. Not gonna need as much of that stuff going forward! Studies definitely show that sleep is a key part in weight control - I hope that you are getting used to the mask. As I said before - breathing=good!

BarbaraB
11-29-2010, 02:34 PM
Joni, From what I calculated so far on line, it seems like 100 calories is running about 3 points... instead of 2 on the old plan. So they upped my points but made a point worth less. I do like that most fruits and veggies are free.... otherwise looking at the new points values I would be worried that it was a starvation plan. Which when I first heard the details, it seemed like something unlikely to lead to weight loss, as it was more points and fruits and veggies free.... now I see that it is just a small shift. You are just keeping a bit closer track really.

JM, Sleeping adequately can make a profound difference in your ability to resist temptation. I tend to eat when I'm tired. Also be sure you are taking your vitamen D. I was reading about how they found a strong coorelation between deficiency and obesity (perhaps it is just fat girls don't wear skimpy swim suits or go to the beach as often and get less sun exposure though).

MJ, I did have a nice thanksgiving, thanks for asking. I've been thinking that I need more yoga and stretching to keep myself more limber. It may help my foot difficulties.

Nicole, We ordered from that web site you sent. I got two different types, as that brand had one with "more foam" and I thought I'd try that one too. I also went and bought some "toning" shoes, and they seem to put the weight of my foot in a different spot and it relieves the pain... and if it also tones my legs somewhat, all the better.

Dairy Fairy
11-29-2010, 03:52 PM
Hey ladies! I remember some of you girls from my previous LAWL experience 4 years ago (wow...can't believe it has been that long). Hubby and I are starting unlimited takeoff tomorrow. I am probably up to 212 or so...highest weight ever. I am just so frustrated with a couple of things...namely a hard time finding a bra that won't hurt my back that actually is in my size. We're just kind of fed up with being chunky right now. I hope it goes well because usually dieting with the hubby involves me doing twice the work of planning EVERYTHING and then he loses more than me...y'all know how that goes!

I hope everybody had a great Thanksgiving and didn't go too crazy! If so, today is a new day.

Mary

Kimphin
11-29-2010, 04:13 PM
Mary - twice the work, but there is strength in numbers! Good luck with TO.

Barb - I would think that the toning shoes would be great for plantar fascitis - the rolling motion was what saved me. It took A LONG TIME to get better - and I hated every minute. Gotta love getting up from a chair and lurching across the room like Joe Cocker......

We just got a new elliptical trainer - did away w/the treadmill - and the foot pedals have a thick gel base that is supposed to mimic those toning shoes - I kind of like it and my feet don't fall asleep like they do on the machines at the gym.

juliemarie
11-29-2010, 05:40 PM
Barbara-In the many many blood tests I had done for the surgery-I did have my vit D checked and am slightly deficient. I was told to take 1 supplement daily which I rarely remember to take. I really need to figure out a better vitamin-taking plan, as they will be vital to my health after the surgery!

I also have foot pain (might be plantar fascitis,not sure) and the Shape Ups seemed to make it worse. But I also have flat feet and some shoes really bother me if they force an arch . . .

Kim-know what you mean about the Joe Cocker lurch. Getting out of bed in the middle of the night to use the bathroom was ridiculous. If i remembered to sit in bed and stretch out my feet for a few minutes before putting weight on them it would help, but I would rarely remember to do that. Just stumble my way to the door . . .;)

Mary! I remember you-yes, plenty of us still around-unfortunately weight loss isn't usually a "do it once and never look back" kinda thing. How's life?

Funny-my Mom ordered the Montel Williams blender thingie and it takes up too much counter space-so she gave it to me! Made a protein smoothie for breakfast-put in a bunch of celery and romaine lettuce and it really does "emulsify" them-no chunks, stringy bits or anything. Looking forward to making sorbets, smoothies, and hot soups. . . .

FutureFitLaura
11-30-2010, 07:19 AM
Usually this is tied to problems with your arches...which the toning shoes will not address--instead you will need custom arch supports from your podiatrist.

There are exercises to relieve PF.
1-do a wall stretch with the top of your foot propped on the wall, stretching the calf and hamstring
2-roll a tennis ball with your foot (massages the area)
3-laying down, using a towel, pull one leg's knee up to your stomach, with the foot pulled toward you (not pointed away from you), keep the other leg straight.

Do for both sides.

The "toning" shoes are scietifically crap. Sorry, they cannot do what they claim. It's a physiological impossibility. Nothing replaces exercise....

FutureFitLaura
11-30-2010, 07:23 AM
I realize I should introduce myself, after having made 2 posts.

I am 41, 5'6, was once 350, now 286. I had gotten down to 259 in the last 3 years, and then this year, my energy plummeted, my time in the gym became impossible due to lack of energy, time, and work stress....I got up to 290 last week and said that's it. No more foolin' around.

I had been doing Atkins when I got to 259, and I thoroughly believe in lower carb, but I was struggling keeping my calories where they needed. So I decided to do the next thing that worked for me, LAWL. (I had done LAWL about 7 years ago and lost from 330 to 272 on Red Plus.)

I was happy to find the lites online (ordered a month's supply) and a Red plan with take off juice.

So, I was 290 last Friday and 286 yesterday. Will be happy to see te 270s again soon.

I should add, I have been a gym rat for 3 years, but getting there lately hasn't been happening. I'm debating about taking time off from my membership and just working out at home. I had a trainer for 3 years, so I know a heck of a lot about training, in fact, if I get to my goal weight of 160-175, I will get certified. I've already read the books, just felt until I look the part, it wouldn't do to get certified...who'd hire the still fat chick?

Anyway, any guidance on doing LAWL color plans from this site would be awesome....

JLem311
11-30-2010, 11:01 AM
hey peeps. i haven't checked in for a little while so i thought i'd say hi. hope everyone is doing well!

Dairy Fairy
11-30-2010, 11:31 AM
Hey again guys...I was supposed to be taking an online driver's ed course but it's having issues so I am popping in to say HI while I am waiting on them to fix it.

I started unlimited takeoff today. I really hate doing takeoffs but once I am done I am better about staying on the wagon because I don't want to have to takeoff again. That and it helps with the carb cravings.

This morning I weighed in at 217.5:o ALL TIME HIGH! I was 212 just last week or so, but I guess Thanksgiving plus a week away from home caught up with me. Honestly it didn't make me feel depressed or anything...just resolved. I am ready!!!

Juliemarie- I checked in on your adoption story a bit and I was very excited for you. My youngest are now 3 so I feel I can breathe a little and focus on myself for a bit. A prep heavy diet like LAWL can be hard to manage with toddlers and babies in the house.

On the Skechers...I am not gonna try those. I hate wearing anything but sandals. It drives my husband crazy, but you can't take the country outta the girl.

BarbaraB
11-30-2010, 08:17 PM
Kim, You made me laugh. I totally have the Joe Cocker moves down right now. I like the idea of the gel on the elliptical because ours has made my feet go numb for some reason, which seems like it would be a bad thing.

Laura, I have the custom orthodics. I think my one foot is a little swollen due to the plantar facititis and that makes them hurt to use, so I'm trying different things. I've been doing a lot of stretching, since my podatrist thinks that all those spin classes tightening up the leg muscles is a factor.

Nicole, I am wearing my new foot inserts that you recommended today! I like them. Only so many work outfits that I can get away with the lovely toning shoes with. LOL....

JM, I bought a pill case at the dollar store, and that seems to keep me on track with taking pills, since I can visually see if I've taken it already or not. Hopefully the need to be more organized after surgery will be balanced out by having a whole lot more energy due to losing weight. My sister's good friend who had the gastric bipass a few years back seems to be doing so well. If she can do it, I'm sure you can.

Mary, Good to see you back! It seems like a moments inattention to what I'm eating, and poof the pounds fairy has visited me. Or perhaps its Joan's evil mice just making my clothes smaller.

Joni, how are you liking the new WW plan? I seem to be having occasional shock over the number of points in things under the new plan... but overall it seems OK.

Angie
12-01-2010, 08:26 AM
Morning all!

DS and I are headed to Disney today and I'm hoping the magic kingdom will bless me with some willpower to go with all the walking we'll be doing, or that I'll experience a Christmas miracle and actually LOSE weight while we are away.

Off to go pack all the last minute stuff. Have a great week!

Kimphin
12-01-2010, 09:11 AM
Say hi to the mouse!

mj2007
12-01-2010, 10:02 AM
hey all

stopping by quickly to share a news story...I WISH IT WAS TRUE FOR ME!!!
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/reuters/101130/odds/odd_us_potatoes_diet_1

FutureFitLaura
12-01-2010, 11:02 AM
@ Barbara...I'd agree that the exercise you're doing could be a root cause. Also, I found for myself that if my form was off just a tad, it restarted the PF. But when I'm more restrained in my workouts, I feel better.

Hoochie
12-01-2010, 12:36 PM
MJ- Wow thats quite the story!

Feeling pretty good today. I think I am just in the Christmas spirit!

Joan

Dairy Fairy
12-01-2010, 05:46 PM
Eating potatoes and losing weight??? ONLY A MAN!:dizzy:

I am really glad I cleaned my bathroom on day one of takeoff b/c I was running there every 5 minutes! I know I had a lot of water weight on me b/c we had just gotten back from traveling...lots of fast food and gas station cuisine on the road.

Jillian..I remember you from my first time here but you look so different. Good job!!!

I am feeling good about LAWLing again. I haven't missed any foods yet and I'm enjoying the healthy food. I had really gotten to a point where I was craving healthy food...at least the energy I had when eating it. :carrot:

BTW, I finally got into the driver's ed online and passed at 100 percent but it was HARD...one of the final test questions was how many people were killed in railroad crossings in 2008. SERIOUSLY! :dizzy:
Have a good night everyone!

JLem311
12-01-2010, 07:17 PM
hi mary! good to "see" you again! thanks for the compliment! there's a picture in my profile that shows the differences.

BarbaraB
12-01-2010, 08:43 PM
Jillian, I can really see the last few pounds in the latest picture. You are really looking lean (but not so mean, hard to believe someone with such a happy frog tattoo would be too scary).

Laura, My dad is convinced that I just need to not do anything for at least 3 weeks to get healed from the pf. I'm rather addicted to the spin classes as they burn a ton of calories, and I'd hate to have to make that big of an adjustment. However not being able to move around is not helping my weight loss effort one bit. My nerdly husband has been counting the number of spin classes he has ever done (we mostly go together) and he hit 500 recently. I wonder if he'll stop counting now?

MJ, My dad once lost 15 pounds in 2 weeks when he cut out the candy bars at work (I have no idea how many he was eating, but I've got to assume that the answer was a LOT). I think men just tend to lose with no problems, and the guy was not really overweight when he started (those are the worst ones who lose without particularly trying and wonder what is wrong with those of us who struggle).

Mary, Really they wanted to know about the number of railroad crossing deaths in a certain year? That's just rather random. Given that you gained the last few pounds quickly, I bet they are gone in no time.

Joan, So nice to have the Christmas spirit! We put up christmas lights and they are just so cheerful this time of year. Do you have any trips planned down to Mexico for those of us who like to imagine what it would feel like to be someplace warm and sunny, even if we can't go. I'm trying to talk my DH into going to Maui in Feb. He's weakening a bit on the subject. A few more cold and rainy dark weeks and he just might cave.

Nicole, did your DH make it back from deer hunting? How is Emily doing these days? My DD seems to be on a second rebellious phase lately. I am trying to not care about the mohawk and tattoos and the cigarettes, but it is hard to not roll my eyes at her. She's almost 22, I'm not sure when she is going to start acting like an adult.